Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old    Rich (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-19-2017, 10:04 AM Reply   
I've witnessed a phenomenon with myself and many of my friend's girlfriends/wives. Many are excited to come out on the boat but after a trip or 2, their stoke dwindles. I think it has to do with our riding style. Us guys take it pretty serious. We coach eachother, we wake up early on weekends, we time our sets when we have limited time after work on weekdays, we max out the wake and generally don't drink when we ride. Any awesome ideas how we can create more stoke? Iíve chatted with my girlfriend about doing a special ladies session once every other week where we mellow out the vibe and donít ballast out the wake as much. I know having a boat with a quicker ballast switch over would be ideal and would help someday.
Old    Aric Brabec (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-19-2017, 10:15 AM Reply   
since you said ballast switch over, I'm assuming you're talking about surfing. I have literally never heard of a girl being enthused by watching people surf. That is my problem with my girlfriend as well. She gets nervous when I wakeboard and doesn't even turn around to watch me surf. Lol.
Old    Mike (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-19-2017, 10:37 AM Reply   
I don't know, the sport and whole boat vibe isn't for everyone. I am lucky my wife loves wakeboarding more than I do. But we basically do it together without anyone else. My best friend's wife doesn't want anything to do with it and I don't think there is any changing that.

How long are you out in the boat? It can be long and tedious if you are out all day without some where to hang out. Bar? Hotel? Campsite?

Maybe bust out the Air Chair and trick skis???
Old    Rich (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-19-2017, 2:09 PM Reply   
It's usually about 5 hours total. 45 mins to the lake, 3.5 hrs on water, 45 mins home. There's nothing really around our lakes. No waterfront properties allowed.

Ballast wise, I meant dumping the ballast to make the wake smaller for more beg/int wakeboarding. I have noticed when my girlfriend rides, this does help.
Old    Paul E (Paul_42186)      Join Date: May 2013       05-19-2017, 2:18 PM Reply   
My experience is that if you are really into wakeboarding, it is difficult to have others in the boat who are not. Many girlfriend's/wives like boating for the social/party/being in the sun experience. Having less experienced riders in the boat works as long as they are interested in watching and learning. I always ride better when it is just wakeboarders in the boat. If your wife/girlfriend is not really into wakeboarding, that might be a good time for them to do something with their other friends and give the guys some time with their friends -- unless you need them for a third. I think it's good for couples to give each other some space and not always be together. There are things that the ladies like to do that us guys are not very excited about.
Old    Rich (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-19-2017, 3:32 PM Reply   
Good points Paul. Sometimes we do need a 3rd, but I'll get more resourceful in that dept to not force it.
Old    David Posey (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-19-2017, 11:16 PM Reply   
Girls don't want to get hurt, my wife blew out a retina in her 1st month but after skating for 3 years since , she got back to it last year. they love surfing but they do need get up skills and long line tow sports experience to transition to it, my wife likes to one wake hop since her return to it but even that comes with some risk. My wife is 58 but slalomed for 30 Years or more before her boarding accident We need to focus on the boarding this summer for both of us as surfing has dominated. Amazing though as you progress in surfing how often the board bites you as well but she musters up
To it even when she bleeds from it cause she digs surfing so much

Most girls have not done a ton of towed water sports so that lack of experience before wakeboarding contributes to the problem and an old outboard on a bass style boat is a much more forgiving situation to slalom or wakeboard though empty she digs our axis wake for skiing and rides the wedge and stock to do her hops. It's a rope time issue and my wife is s personal trainer and ex bodybuilder who works out and that helps too.