Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    Matt Zelenik (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-19-2017, 10:17 PM Reply   
Currently have a model X that I ride but after having labrum surgery I won't be wake boarding till the end of summer and I'm looking to get a Doomswell to up my surf enjoyment. Can't decide between the Neo and Nubstep or what size. I'm 6'4 250. I ride a red rocket occasionally and while I like the buoyancy and surf feel but it's too slow for me. I like the model X but am wanting something a bit more stout. Would like to hear from those who have rode both the neo and nubstep

Also looks like I would be fine with the 5'0 models but am wondering if I should just go with the most buoyancy and get a 5'2 model. Thoughts?
Old    Chris (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       04-20-2017, 6:08 AM Reply   
Own both, I ride a 4'6" NEO on the regular and love it. Also own a 5' Nubstep for the bigger guys I know to ride usually 200-225lbs. Overall even at 160lbs I can still shred and throw 360s on the 5'0. To me the differences are very minor in feel. Call up Brock and talk to him about which would be better for you.

Last edited by Squamer; 04-20-2017 at 6:10 AM. Reason: added words
Old    MICAH HARPER (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-20-2017, 6:17 AM Reply   
Neo and Nub are both great boards. I think the Neo spins easier due to the blunt nose.
both are fast and have great pop off the lip of the wave.

I would go 5' if I was you

im 6' 220 and ride 4'6 on both , so im thinking the 5' will be perfect for you.

Either way, you wont be disappointed. PM me if you have any more questions.
Attached Images

Old    Matt Zelenik (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-20-2017, 8:57 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys! I did have an email exchange with Brock(amazing response time and customer service) and he said he might recommend going with the 5'2 just for stance width. He also said the nubstep was his personal favorite and would go with that unless I would be adding a lot of tricks or riding backwards for any amount of time.

I'm jealous of the custom boards. They look awesome. I passed on an opportunity to get one a while back. Lead time was like 6-8 months. Brock did tell me they are working on an option to add some customization in the future, so looks like I will be scooping one now and the other in the future.
Old    Brian Garrett (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       05-12-2017, 8:04 AM Reply   
Love my Nubstep. Took a little getting used to coming from a skim board, it can be very aggressive! But I love it now!

Last edited by beg4wake; 05-12-2017 at 8:07 AM.
Old    David Posey (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-12-2017, 10:25 AM Reply   
Neo was an absolute pig at southern surfest and the Nubstep
Was highly maneuverable and fun, the 53" phase 5 Ahi was better than the nubstep, as well as the brigade Indian Myke with the most wicked fins you ever saw and the brigade asymmetrical 4'10 for goofy , they didn't have the regular, bought all 3 after events
Old    David Tipton (detipton)      Join Date: May 2014       05-26-2017, 10:49 AM Reply   
I bought a 5' nubstep last year and it is a great board. I'm 5'9 and 160, but my buddies are in the 200-260 range. This board really helped their surfing go to the next level. It floats really well with all the volume. As for me, it is fast and agile and a fun board to ride.
Old    Russ Schultz (ronix686)      Join Date: Feb 2017       05-26-2017, 2:14 PM Reply   
Does volume really matter on a planing surface? I understand the reason for volume measurements on ocean surf boards that need a certain amount of float to allow the rider to get the board on plane easier, but for a wakesurfer the board is already on plane. The surface area of the larger board will have more effect than its volume.