Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    TimelineX (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       04-11-2017, 8:12 PM Reply   
I've finally mostly accustomed to most the wear and tear from wake boarding and am no longer sore for the entire week. However one of the things that has happened a few of the times is the next few days I have acute pain in my back foots front hip joint area (I think maybe the hip flexor). I always assume it's just because the back leg does most the extension and probably takes the brunt of the force when landing in the flats. However I read somewhere it might be from binding position. I got my binding position by jumping and seeing where I naturally land (as recommended by learnwake).

Anyone else have this pain and know how to prevent it?
Old    Brett Brinkerhoff (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2017, 12:11 PM Reply   
There is a lot more pressure on your knees than your hips based on binding positions although there could be some but not sure that it would be enough to cause acute pain for a couple of days. A couple things could actually cause that kind of discomfort. Most common would be an injury. Not like a serious injury (tore something or broke something) but maybe when you first noticed the pain after a day of riding, you happened to take a hard fall or landed with an awkward position earlier that day and it slowly developed. Then you have pain for a few days, feel better and go ride again. However your body hasn't healed fully and it just re-inflames the next time you ride making you sore again. I would suggest a little more rest and a massage. If your pain is actually caused from your stance, chances are you have it out too wide and feet ducked out too much. Shoulder width to 1.5in passed should really be your max width and 10-15 degrees for your binding angle. with figuring stance, you are mostly looking for comfort and lack of tension on your knees. Stand in the position you would normally ride in and twist your upper body one direction without moving your feet and slowly lean over your back foot then your front foot then repeat, this twisting the other direction. You should be able to get a lot of leaning movement each way before you feel a bunch of tension in your knees as if something might pop. If you can't get to much leaning movement then either your feet are angled to much or your stance is to wide or both. (or you need to work on your stretching before you ride more often) The last thing could just be bad body positioning while riding but usually this causes more back pain than anything else. After 20 yrs coaching, every person that complained of back pain after a day of riding had bad body positioning from getting up, to riding just outside the wake, to jumping. Take some video and pay attention to how you get up, how you stand right behind the boat and how you're edging out, then compare it to someone like Murray, Adam Fields or Cobe ( a coach/rider that preaches technique ) Good luck and hope it gets feeling better.
Old    Jordan Maxymek (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-12-2017, 3:57 PM Reply   
When do you experience the hip pain? Walking? Or when you plant and twist on it? I'm by no means a doctor, just a wakeboarder with bad hips who can sympathize and try to help. Can you describe the pain a little more? As Brinks said, take some extra time off. If you're riding every few days and experiencing pain give it a solid rest, try a couple weeks off and give it another go to see if you're still feeling it.
Old    C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-12-2017, 4:28 PM Reply   
Interesting. Have you by any chance taken any front edge diggers recently? This usually causes over extension of the hip which pulls/strains/over extends the hip flexor muscles. If you stand straight up and push your hips forward, do you feel a strain?

Also, is the pain in the flexor (muscle) or are you having joint pain? Can you push on the muscle and cause the pain?
Old    TimelineX (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       04-13-2017, 1:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies guys, I will try to clarify a few things:

1. The day after I could probably feel it a tiny bit even while walking. but in general I can feel it most prominently when I bend like a squat. I wakeboarded on Sunday and just now I don't feel it unless I squat deep.

2. My hip flexor muscles on that side were definitely sore, but thats not what the pain was that I am actually referring to. Soreness is fine with me. Its like an acute pin point pain that is right where the femur( leg) attaches to the hips.

3. I only wakeboard about 3 to 4 times a month, so I don't think I'm over doing that. However going to the gym 3x a week and doing heavy squats definitely doesn't help my case.

4. I most definitely take a ton of falls. In fact I would say half my jumps are falls. I warm up. Do all my tricks once or twice (grabs/180s/backroll) and a few big jumps into the flats. Then I go right to new tricks for the majority of the time (Currently: Tantrum,Mexican backroll. TS Front rolls, 360). By the time I finish my set, I'm pretty torn up lol.

So if the pain is from the falls, thats OK I guess. Its the price to pay. I just want to make sure its not something easy that I'm doing wrong, like a bad stance.
Old    C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-13-2017, 1:36 PM Reply   
I'd maybe back off of the heavy squats for a few weeks and see if that improves.
Old    TimelineX (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       04-13-2017, 1:47 PM Reply   
Wakeboard guys tell me to back off squats, gym guys tell me to back off wakeboarding.

Cant have it all dang it. haha
Old    C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-14-2017, 10:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
Wakeboard guys tell me to back off squats, gym guys tell me to back off wakeboarding.

Cant have it all dang it. haha

haha! True. I'm also a gym guy for 20 years. I've gone through phases of body building and all sorts of training programs. I've found that heavy weight lifting hindered my athletic ability. It made me heavier and I lost flexibility. Once I switched to a lighter, high rep, circuit type of training my abilities on the wakeboard, snowboard, and MotoX bike, and my overall athletic ability improved. You can still train hard.

Incidentally I've been squatting heavier lately and I'm also having trouble with my right hip flexor. A couple of industry professionals have suggested that squatting heavier with a lot of external rotation of the femur (ducked out feet) could be causing my hip flexor issues. So I'm experimenting.

Good luck.
Old    Jordan Maxymek (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-20-2017, 1:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
2. My hip flexor muscles on that side were definitely sore, but thats not what the pain was that I am actually referring to. Soreness is fine with me. Its like an acute pin point pain that is right where the femur( leg) attaches to the hips.
So I don't want go waving red flags or screaming "You need surgery!!" right away, but this is where I was mid-season two years ago.

My hip was bothering me a little for a day or two after I rode with going up stairs, squatting and sitting too long. I described the pain is "a pin going into my lower hip/right above my thigh from the front." I had joined the Wake Devils that year and we're lucky to have an awesome partnership with an orthopedic surgeon here in Phoenix who suggested we just take some x-rays to see what my hip socket looked like. Turns out I was developing cam impingements (basically extra bone building up along the femoral head, causing it to pinch and rub against the labrum and cartilage in my hip socket) in both hips from a combination of growing up playing hockey and lots of wakeboarding. My right hip was more severe, and after an MRI he determined I had torn my labrum several times as a result of the impingement. We talked it over and I decided to finish out the year (3 months) with a cortisone injection and a surgery date right after the last comp of the school year. He was a little reluctant to allow that but wasn't concerned that I could do more damage so much as it was just going to hurt a lot if the shot wore off before the surgery date because I was riding on it at least twice a week. It worked out well, didn't bother me much until right before surgery. I went under in April, couldn't really move for a couple days, was on crutches for 2 weeks and spent 4 months doing physical therapy until I was allowed to just cruise around on my board. 6 months before I was really wakeboarding again and all I've got to show for it are couple tiny scars on my hip.

Sorry for the short novel. People always want the long story when they hear I had hip surgery at 19 years old so it's a little rehearsed by now haha
Old    Callan Starr (callanstarr)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-20-2017, 6:33 PM Reply   
Hey Jmaxymek, I had the exact same problem and had surgery two years ago when I was 18... I've been back riding for a little over a year, and still feel alot of the same pain and issues. I'm wondering what your results were? I still feel an impingement but not sure if that's meant to stick around for good or dissappear with the surgery. Cheers
Old    Jordan Maxymek (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-21-2017, 9:50 AM Reply   
The hip that was operated on no longer bothers me very much. I've had just a couple instances of pain in that hip again. All related to wakeboard. One edge catch made me real tender for a couple days and the other was a landing in the flats that hurt pretty bad for a day before not bothering me again afterwards. Have you asked your surgeon? I definitely noticed an improvement after recovery.
Old    Nick A (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       04-21-2017, 7:15 PM Reply   
I'm a PT that has seen a lot of hip labrum repairs and would advise on going into surgery only after all other options have been exhausted. There are not a lot of orthos that perform this surgery and the few that I've talked to had similar sentiments. Coin flip odds for improvement is something not worth rushing into. Just my $0.02
Old    TimelineX (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       04-23-2017, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
So I don't want go waving red flags or screaming "You need surgery!!" right away, but this is where I was mid-season two years ago.

My hip was bothering me a little for a day or two after I rode with going up stairs, squatting and sitting too long. I described the pain is "a pin going into my lower hip/right above my thigh from the front." I had joined the Wake Devils that year and we're lucky to have an awesome partnership with an orthopedic surgeon here in Phoenix who suggested we just take some x-rays to see what my hip socket looked like. Turns out I was developing cam impingements (basically extra bone building up along the femoral head, causing it to pinch and rub against the labrum and cartilage in my hip socket) in both hips from a combination of growing up playing hockey and lots of wakeboarding. My right hip was more severe, and after an MRI he determined I had torn my labrum several times as a result of the impingement. We talked it over and I decided to finish out the year (3 months) with a cortisone injection and a surgery date right after the last comp of the school year. He was a little reluctant to allow that but wasn't concerned that I could do more damage so much as it was just going to hurt a lot if the shot wore off before the surgery date because I was riding on it at least twice a week. It worked out well, didn't bother me much until right before surgery. I went under in April, couldn't really move for a couple days, was on crutches for 2 weeks and spent 4 months doing physical therapy until I was allowed to just cruise around on my board. 6 months before I was really wakeboarding again and all I've got to show for it are couple tiny scars on my hip.

Sorry for the short novel. People always want the long story when they hear I had hip surgery at 19 years old so it's a little rehearsed by now haha
Hey I'm in the Phoenix area as well! Can you pass on the name of the Ortho doc you recommend? I've needed one in the past and had no recommendations to go off. Thank you for the reply. I'm glad the surgery has helped you. I'm a bit weary about doing any surgeries unless absolutely needed.

I read about FAI hip impingement while researching my hip issue. I haven't had an xray so it's obviously not possible to rule anything out, however I remember doing a few at home tests and I don't think it is my issue. I have absolutely no pain raising my knees up past parallel when standing. After the first few days of 'injury' where everything hurts, the pain comes primarily from lateral twisting of my leg and then bending or raising. Just raising doesn't cause pain. The pain went away after about 1.5 weeks or so.

I haven't been wakeboarding for 2 weeks now but have squatted several times. At this point the only hip pain I have is the one I've had for a while while squatting cold (on both sides), and I'm pretty sure its from my terrible flexibility. I have terrible flexibility that I've been working on.

The pain has happened to me 4 or 5 times after wakeboarding in the last 2 years. I do alot of falling, alot of landing in the flats and every once in a while I'll case the wake with my rear foot. So it's hard to know what exactly could cause it, considering all those things are bad for your knees and hips. However I did read a wider stance COULD cause hip and/or knee pain. So I moved my stance in. I'm 6ft and was 1 in from the widest (I think 25") &12 degrees. Now I put it at 2 in from the widest and 15 degrees. That puts it at right outside of shoulder width. Ill try it out next weekend. I know a narrow stance is better for your body but might not be as stable. I'm hoping it wont effect my wakeboarding too much or I will probably have to move it back out. I don't want to do more falling, haha.
Old    TimelineX (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       04-25-2017, 10:11 AM Reply   
So it DOES still hurt after squatting heavy. However the pain is still not when I raise my legs (liek I believe it would be if I had impingement). The pain is movement of the leg while the leg is twisted laterally (including raising the leg)
Old    Jordan Maxymek (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-26-2017, 9:56 AM Reply   
Timeline, I recommend getting in with Dr. Tim Bert at Hedley Orthopedic. He's a rockstar, a hip and sports specialist and absolutely shreds behind the boat. Here's his page on Hedley's site. http://www.hedleyortho.com/providers...8/Tim-Bert-MD/

Seeing as you're local I'm pretty confident they'll take your insurance and have you in soon. If you decide to have him check you out let him know I say what up!
Old    TimelineX (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       04-26-2017, 10:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
Timeline, I recommend getting in with Dr. Tim Bert at Hedley Orthopedic. He's a rockstar, a hip and sports specialist and absolutely shreds behind the boat. Here's his page on Hedley's site. http://www.hedleyortho.com/providers...8/Tim-Bert-MD/

Seeing as you're local I'm pretty confident they'll take your insurance and have you in soon. If you decide to have him check you out let him know I say what up!
I really appreciate your recommendation. The doc is 30+ minutes from me at his closest office, but it's worth the drive if hes good at what he does. I don't think I will schedule an appt just yet. However I'm going boarding again this weekend and if its bad pain next week I will definitely schedule something.
Old    Jordan Maxymek (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-26-2017, 4:03 PM Reply   
Wishing you the best! I hope it's nothing major for you, surgery is never fun but if it does go that route be confident that his specialty is hip and FAI. Also where are you riding around Phoenix! I frequent Bartlett, if you're out there ever there's a good chance we've seen each other!
Old    Mark (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-26-2017, 8:19 PM Reply   
Something else that you might check in to is posture therapy. Wake boarding can really mess up your normal posture if you don't maintain it well.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:50 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us