Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-04-2017, 6:25 AM Reply   
I think Trump has his priorities out of wack. I think he needs to ban Wake surfing. Seriously, go back to the ocean where you belong. I know I'm a surf bigot...but i can't help it. #makewakegreatagain
Old    Scott (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-04-2017, 6:44 AM Reply   
Agree...or should be at least if anyone is doing or wants to do anything the flip else...then they gotta stop, lol.
Old    Sander (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-07-2017, 9:52 PM Reply   
Aye!
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-07-2017, 11:12 PM Reply   
I wish he would ban any more bitching about wake surfing on this forum. It's been covered. #beatingadeadhorse
Old    Stephen P (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-08-2017, 6:07 AM Reply   
Finally something we can all agree on!!! lol
Old    Dave (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-08-2017, 9:04 AM Reply   
I always love how hardcore you non-pros are against wakesurfing meanwhile Harley, Bylery, Murray, and many others don't give a crap and get out for a surf. Maybe not all the time but they still do.

#tohardcoreforyourowngood
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-08-2017, 9:56 AM Reply   
Beating a dead horse is a time honored Wake world tradition....just like complaining about beating dead horses.

It's not that I hate surfing. It's just that it's such a pain to set up, boring to watch, and irritating to drive for. Believe me, I have tried and tried and tried to get into wakesurfing. In the end, I would just would rather be doing something else. Different strokes.

Good thing it's my boat...surfboards stay home this year.

That said, if someone has their G all ready to go and all I have to do is jump in and surf...sign me up.

#dontwanttomesswith3500lbsballastand800poundsoflea dandputatractorproponmyboatsoicanstandbehinditbutw illhopintosomebodyelsesreadytogoboatforaquickride
Old    Hunter Forrester (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       02-08-2017, 10:13 AM Reply   
yah, we should ban all fun stuff. Get rid of all freedom's, especially surfing behind a boat. All this should be replaced with countless hours of protesting and holding a sign in your hand... hoooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old    Hey, You scratched my anchor! (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-08-2017, 11:32 AM Reply   
#footersmattertoo

https://youtu.be/ZF9rvPGOfzc
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-08-2017, 11:44 AM Reply   
^^^^damn straight

Try doing that in a boat with 800 lbs of lead and a tractor prop.

Again...don't hate surfing, just hate all the work dialing it in and the opportunity cost.

BTW.....I am nowhere near hard core. Just a multi sport guy who loves to foil, slalom, skate, wakeboard....and occasionally surf.
Old    Mike (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-08-2017, 3:34 PM Reply   
This is something I can certainly get behind!!!
Old    Nickbot (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2017, 3:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I always love how hardcore you non-pros are against wakesurfing meanwhile Harley, Bylery, Murray, and many others don't give a crap and get out for a surf. Maybe not all the time but they still do.

#tohardcoreforyourowngood
Pros get PAID to sell wakesurf gear

#youaredumb
Old    Dave (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-08-2017, 4:07 PM Reply   
^ I'm sure they also do it for the enjoyment or to switch it up once in awhile. I understand they are also trying promote product.

Once again, you "hardcore's" take your wake riding way to seriously.
Old    Scott (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-08-2017, 5:28 PM Reply   
i am guessing that the people that don't want others to bitch about surfing are surfers themselves.

And the pro's are paid to sell boats so they do it probably primarily to help sell boats and for the same reason 90% of wakeboarders do. To try it to see it is worth a crap and for something else to do on the water.

the point is that as compared to other water uses it messes up the water way too much for way too many people
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-08-2017, 8:55 PM Reply   
I think if you ask any pro about surfing they are going to say "Ya, its great, its fun, etc..."

I'm speaking about boat riding here, but imagine if you were a pro who had dedicated his life and 10-20 years to wakeboarding and pushing the boundaries of the sport because its what you love. You've beat up your body up in the process but helped to legitimize a sport and bring it popularity. Now imagine you are all of a sudden watching your sport fizzle out more and more each day because its "too hard, too hard on the body" etc. ... and it's being replaced by a sport that many do while holding a beer.

I think it would be pretty tough to see the sport you love fading out and being replaced by something that is just not on the same level. Waterskiing, Barefooting, and wakeboarding are just a different feeling and vibe than surfing. I'm sure that's how all the skiers felt back in the day, and of course it's not new in this industry or others.

If you ever go to wakeboard camp with pro riders and are able to spend some time and have a candid and honest discussion about surfing, you probably wouldn't hear that they love it all that much. Kind of like pro waterskiers selling tubes. How many pro wakeboarders are going to be around and still able to make their living off of selling surf gear in a few years? I'd bet not as many. To me it's just kind of the sad reality.
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       02-08-2017, 9:17 PM Reply   
WW never disappoints.
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-08-2017, 10:42 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=scottb7;1953315]i am guessing that the people that don't want others to bitch about surfing are surfers themselves.

Ya think? Thanks, Sherlock! Nothin gets by you!
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-08-2017, 10:56 PM Reply   
Are the people crying about wake surfing the same people crying about the Trump presidency? I'm sensing a common thread here and the crying is equally futile. Maybe we can provide "safe docks" where wakeboarding Nazis can pull up, dock and play with Play-Doh to relieve the stress they have about wake surfers... lol
Old    Jack Henry (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-09-2017, 4:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Are the people crying about wake surfing the same people crying about the Trump presidency? I'm sensing a common thread here and the crying is equally futile. Maybe we can provide "safe docks" where wakeboarding Nazis can pull up, dock and play with Play-Doh to relieve the stress they have about wake surfers... lol
Once you realize the left hates you and wants you dead the more sense it will all make. Hold your surfboards close and tell them you love them
Old    Chase Rummans (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       02-09-2017, 4:37 AM Reply   
Wakesurfing was created to give you something to do at the end of the day after you get tired of wakeboarding.
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2017, 5:24 AM Reply   
Actually, it's been around longer than wakeboarding.
Old    Justin Harrelson (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-09-2017, 8:15 AM Reply   
All "Wakeboarders" wake surf and probably most "wakesurfers" wakeboard from time to time. They are both done behind the same boat, but you really are talking about two completely different types of people. You absolutely have to be an athlete to progress as a wakeboarder or you will get hurt super fast. It is a lot easier to be a casual wakesurfer than a casual wakeboarder. So, just by that alone, wakeboarders come off a little more hardcore.

Markj, guys like you are killing this site with your constant political garbage. There are websites all across the WWW dedicated to politics. This is a wake site.
Old    DTB (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-09-2017, 8:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
All "Wakeboarders" wake surf and probably most "wakesurfers" wakeboard from time to time. They are both done behind the same boat, but you really are talking about two completely different types of people. You absolutely have to be an athlete to progress as a wakeboarder or you will get hurt super fast. It is a lot easier to be a casual wakesurfer than a casual wakeboarder. So, just by that alone, wakeboarders come off a little more hardcore.

Markj, guys like you are killing this site with your constant political garbage. There are websites all across the WWW dedicated to politics. This is a wake site.

Nailed It !!!!!!!!!!!
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2017, 5:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
All "Wakeboarders" wake surf and probably most "wakesurfers" wakeboard from time to time. They are both done behind the same boat, but you really are talking about two completely different types of people. You absolutely have to be an athlete to progress as a wakeboarder or you will get hurt super fast. It is a lot easier to be a casual wakesurfer than a casual wakeboarder. So, just by that alone, wakeboarders come off a little more hardcore.

Markj, guys like you are killing this site with your constant political garbage. There are websites all across the WWW dedicated to politics. This is a wake site.
Oh yeah? Well, I don't understand why these "wakeboarding is so much better and everyone else should park their boats and stand aside for us" threads keep emerging. Y'all can forget it if you think you're gonna change anything by crying about wake surfing. Really... What's your point? I just added the political flava in there for humor. Don't get butt hurt. I absolutely agree about the athletic ability needed to wakeboard. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how much of an athlete you are. You can and probably will be injured if you wakeboard at a higher level. Ask any pro. That's why wakeboarding is not nearly as popular as it was and surfing is taking over. I can't believe I'm in another one of these stupid circular argument threads.
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2017, 5:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
Once you realize the left hates you and wants you dead the more sense it will all make. Hold your surfboards close and tell them you love them
Hahaha!
Old    Scott (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-09-2017, 6:06 PM Reply   
"Are the people crying about wake surfing the same people crying about the Trump presidency? I'm sensing a common thread here and the crying is equally futile. Maybe we can provide "safe docks" where wakeboarding Nazis can pull up, dock and play with Play-Doh to relieve the stress they have about wake surfers... lol"

Come on, man up and "come out" and admit you are a "surfer". You feel much better about yourself once you do.

signed, rainman
Old    Scott (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-09-2017, 6:12 PM Reply   
" I just added the political flava in there for humor"...yeah, surfer humor...

just a joke, you will be fine...

seriously: it is not about athletic ability...it is more that of an extreme sport vs not extreme sport kind of person thing
Old    "G" (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-09-2017, 6:54 PM Reply   
I say all these Wakesurfers have a "Wake surf off Super Bowl" mavericks style! Winner takes all. He who wins can wake surf all day all night with world wide respect.
Here is your wave!

Orville Dam Spillway invitational
Attached Images
 
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2017, 8:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
"Are the people crying about wake surfing the same people crying about the Trump presidency? I'm sensing a common thread here and the crying is equally futile. Maybe we can provide "safe docks" where wakeboarding Nazis can pull up, dock and play with Play-Doh to relieve the stress they have about wake surfers... lol"

Come on, man up and "come out" and admit you are a "surfer". You feel much better about yourself once you do.

signed, rainman
LOL! Oh..... I am OUT THERE. After two knee surgeries and a shoulder surgery from wakeboarding, I'm done taking time off of work due to wakeboarding injuries. It comes with age. I'd still love to do it and may take a chill run from time to time but, I'm also okay to live vicariously through others. I still can't resist being out there though. Wake surfing provides that reason to still own and enjoy a boat for me. In all honesty, I'd be pissed if I was trying to wakeboard while some tool was surfing my line, but I'd also realize I didn't have a right to gripe because I don't own the body of water. When I really cared about my water conditions, I paid the money and joined a private lake. That is the reason I have zero tolerance for people crying over public waterway conditions. #nohypocrisyhere

Last edited by markj; 02-09-2017 at 8:09 PM.
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2017, 8:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
" I just added the political flava in there for humor"...yeah, surfer humor...

just a joke, you will be fine...

seriously: it is not about athletic ability...it is more that of an extreme sport vs not extreme sport kind of person thing
So what do us ex-extreme sports people do as we get older/wiser and don't want to risk injury? Are we supposed to hang it up and sell our boats because we fear upsetting wakeboarders?
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2017, 8:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I say all these Wakesurfers have a "Wake surf off Super Bowl" mavericks style! Winner takes all. He who wins can wake surf all day all night with world wide respect.
Here is your wave!

Orville Dam Spillway invitational
That post and pic are full of awesome.
Old    Swatguy (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-09-2017, 8:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
So what do us ex-extreme sports people do as we get older/wiser and don't want to risk injury? Are we supposed to hang it up and sell our boats because we fear upsetting wakeboarders?
Go back to slaloming ))))))))))))))))


I am 3 knees and 3 shoulder surgeries deep. Only 1 from wakebaording. My progression on my wakeboard is done. I still ride. Throw my usual small bag of tricks , But I reuse to give in to surf. So I picked up the slalom ski again . Borderline wanting to pull the trigger on an old closed bow for fun.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2017, 9:07 PM Reply   
Let's see.....what to do besides surf??

Foil, skate, scooter, slalom, jump off cliffs

Lots of other lower impact activities. My 73 year old great grandma mom slalomed and jumped off cliffs last summer.
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2017, 9:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Go back to slaloming ))))))))))))))))


I am 3 knees and 3 shoulder surgeries deep. Only 1 from wakebaording. My progression on my wakeboard is done. I still ride. Throw my usual small bag of tricks , But I reuse to give in to surf. So I picked up the slalom ski again . Borderline wanting to pull the trigger on an old closed bow for fun.
How can I do that when all those idiot surfers are out there???
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2017, 9:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
Let's see.....what to do besides surf??

Foil, skate, scooter, slalom, jump off cliffs

Lots of other lower impact activities. My 73 year old great grandma mom slalomed and jumped off cliffs last summer.
Awesome. Your great grandma ROCKS!
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2017, 10:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Go back to slaloming ))))))))))))))))


I am 3 knees and 3 shoulder surgeries deep. Only 1 from wakebaording. My progression on my wakeboard is done. I still ride. Throw my usual small bag of tricks , But I reuse to give in to surf. So I picked up the slalom ski again . Borderline wanting to pull the trigger on an old closed bow for fun.
Wait a minute. Didn't you put an aftermarket NSS on your boat for surfing?
Old    Scott (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-10-2017, 5:57 AM Reply   
First and most importantly I want to say that I really do appreciate your sense of humor...

I think the problem with surfing is that it REALLY does mess up the water for more other water uses than any other activity. So for me it is not a surfer vs wakeboarder thing. I just don't think logically you can say it is ok because no one owns the waterway. Like what if one guy comes up a mini tsunumi - that does not for sake of argument cause shoreline damage - for his friends to watch on some local lake, but hey it only messes up the entire lake for everyone, oh well, no one ones it. You would say one guy should not mess up the lake for everyone else, or would you be ok with it? Surfing is good for the surfer but bad for A LOT of people on the lake.

For me, I am 49 and NOT very athletic so making progress in any sport is slow. When I can't wakeboard anymore...Easy, I already promised wifey I would go golfing with her. She has been taking lessons for like 4 years now. So I figure it is a good head start on me, and will give me a challenge to catch up to her.

I would indeed give up the boat (and the lake house and property taxes) to the younger and do something else. I have no problem with that. I - do what you want - would not surf my local lake messing it up for everyone else. I tried surfing and yeah some of the surface tricks are tough, but I am a bit of an extreme sport guy - snowboard in the winter. I would not surf....it was pretty boring. I think the beer test is probably fair. If you surf holding a beer it probably is not a sport, and pretty lame.

One last joke, I can't resist...of course, of course not aimed at anyone:

LGBTQS...Where S = surfer

Last edited by scottb7; 02-10-2017 at 6:01 AM.
Old    Justin Harrelson (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-10-2017, 6:30 AM Reply   
Markj = Triggered.

Scott, You said it very nicely. I live on a river that is beyond ideal for wakeboard, wake skate, waterski, etc. Good natural shoreline means that there can be 10 boats wakeboarding/waterskiing and it is like no one is out. One wakesurf boat shows up and it is game over (stern rollers). If we get on the river and there is already a wakesurfer there, I will grumble to myself, but I can manage and I understand if you can't beat them, pop one open and join them. But when all is right, we've got guys trying to progress and wake surfer drops in the line, I see it no different than a dude in a cabin cruiser dropping in a tube to do zig-zags. It is probably worse.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-10-2017, 10:20 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding take a lot.
- Its takes a lot of time (Learning to wakeboard first off, but add in a boat and the work is almost never ending cleaning, polishing, winterizing, summarizing, oil changes, towing, etc....
- It take a lot of skill and practice to get good.
- And boat riding takes a lot of money (Gear, Gas, supplies, insurance, docking, etc). Now add in the cost of the boat, especially for top tier boats (think $100k).

Now this is just a personal opinion, but other than the skill part, wake surfing takes all of this. To me, it just isn't fun enough for all the effort. It will never ever feel like real surfing. We have the boat and the gear so we do it, but if I was just getting into water sports now, there is no way I would go through all the trouble and expense if the final result was just wakesurfing. But hey, the same argument can be made for wakeboarding, Snowmobiling, or most any other hobby, it has to be "worth it" in your eyes to spend your time/money on the hobby.
Old    Swatguy (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-10-2017, 10:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Wait a minute. Didn't you put an aftermarket NSS on your boat for surfing?
I did. Resale and those times when all you can do is surf because the lake or your body is toast. My occasional riding crew I boarded with from back in the day has almost all switched to 100% surf . It's is what it is. It's another sport to pass the time , but I am just not into that much. With that said pretty much every wakeboat I see on the bigger lakes I travel to seems to only surf. I went out at 7am more than handful of times this season only to run into 2-3 surf boats . Holy flippin balls was I fuming. Hey it's public lake , I guess surf butter is just as good for them ,,,,, but **** man go out into the main part not in the one finger perfectly shaped for wakeboarding



My argument is this , flame away!!!!!!!!!
A majority of the surf boats I have talked to and/or stopped are all people with more money than brains and experience on the water . Surfing has tripled the number of wallies driving 180k surfboats every which way but down. It's killed our riding spots down to nothing. That's probably more my frustration with the sport than any.
Old    Justin Harrelson (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-10-2017, 11:48 AM Reply   
LW, Hard work, sacrifice, a little gas money and most of all putting your board on the water and a handle in your hand is what makes you a wakeboarder. I'd say everything else can make a you a really good poser, but wakeboarders wakeboard.
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-10-2017, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Wakeboarding take a lot.
- Its takes a lot of time (Learning to wakeboard first off, but add in a boat and the work is almost never ending cleaning, polishing, winterizing, summarizing, oil changes, towing, etc....
- It take a lot of skill and practice to get good.
- And boat riding takes a lot of money (Gear, Gas, supplies, insurance, docking, etc). Now add in the cost of the boat, especially for top tier boats (think $100k).

Now this is just a personal opinion, but other than the skill part, wake surfing takes all of this. To me, it just isn't fun enough for all the effort. It will never ever feel like real surfing. We have the boat and the gear so we do it, but if I was just getting into water sports now, there is no way I would go through all the trouble and expense if the final result was just wakesurfing. But hey, the same argument can be made for wakeboarding, Snowmobiling, or most any other hobby, it has to be "worth it" in your eyes to spend your time/money on the hobby.
I agree with all of that however, wake surfing is not the sole reason for me to spend my disposable income on the above. I still get enjoyment out of just being out there, listening to music, touring the delta, going to restaurants on the water, feeling free etc. It's just a cool lifestyle. When it comes to getting behind the boat, I choose to wake surf because I don't want to risk another torn ACL. Especially at 48 when my career is in such a sweet spot.
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-10-2017, 12:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
LW, Hard work, sacrifice, a little gas money and most of all putting your board on the water and a handle in your hand is what makes you a wakeboarder. I'd say everything else can make a you a really good poser, but wakeboarders wakeboard.
Dude... You are so hard core.
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-10-2017, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
I did. Resale and those times when all you can do is surf because the lake or your body is toast. My occasional riding crew I boarded with from back in the day has almost all switched to 100% surf . It's is what it is. It's another sport to pass the time , but I am just not into that much. With that said pretty much every wakeboat I see on the bigger lakes I travel to seems to only surf. I went out at 7am more than handful of times this season only to run into 2-3 surf boats . Holy flippin balls was I fuming. Hey it's public lake , I guess surf butter is just as good for them ,,,,, but **** man go out into the main part not in the one finger perfectly shaped for wakeboarding



My argument is this , flame away!!!!!!!!!
A majority of the surf boats I have talked to and/or stopped are all people with more money than brains and experience on the water . Surfing has tripled the number of wallies driving 180k surfboats every which way but down. It's killed our riding spots down to nothing. That's probably more my frustration with the sport than any.
That's a bummer. I guess I just don't have to deal with what you guys have to deal with. There's almost never a day where I can't find butter when someone wants to wakeboard. I guess I'm spoiled.
Old    MLO (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-10-2017, 2:16 PM Reply   
#wakeboarderscomplainingaboutsurfersislikeskiersco mplainingaboutwakeboarders

Its the circle of life. Wonder what surfers will complain about in 10 years. Scary huh?
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-10-2017, 8:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarguy1 View Post
#wakeboarderscomplainingaboutsurfersislikeskiersco mplainingaboutwakeboarders

Its the circle of life. Wonder what surfers will complain about in 10 years. Scary huh?
Yikes! No kidding. Wait. I got it... Yacht surfing. That would be THE WORST. If I ever see a yacht with a surfer behind it, I'm turning around and heading full steam to the nearest "no wake" zone.
Old    Brian Jones (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-11-2017, 6:12 AM Reply   
So to start I don't wake surf, I don't care for it and don't get the same rush as I do wakeboarding so it's not for me.

With that being said there is something that annoyed me a lot more on the water than surfers and that's tubers. I get everyone is entitled to destroy the water how they please but tubers are the worst. A surf boat may be annoying when it passes but you get a few large rollers and it's over. The jackasses pulling tubers doing figure 8s up and down the river in front of you destroy any sight or thought of clean water. I know it can't exist but I would love it'll there was a rule that tubers had to use the open body of the lake and were not allowed up the river, or in smaller channels.
Old    TigeMike (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-11-2017, 9:07 AM Reply   
#wakesurflivesmatter
Old    Justin Harrelson (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-13-2017, 6:34 AM Reply   
Markj, It isn't about being hardcore. It is just a fact. To be a wakeboarder you must wakeboard. Playing the part won't get you there.
Old    FENCE SENCE (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-13-2017, 10:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarguy1 View Post
#wakeboarderscomplainingaboutsurfersislikeskiersco mplainingaboutwakeboarders
+1. How the tables have turned.

God damn wakeboarders with their giant wakes screwing up the water for everyone else. What a bunch of self righteous, inconsiderate A-holes.

Sound familiar? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Can't we all just agree on the one thing we ALL hate, tubers?
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-13-2017, 10:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Markj, It isn't about being hardcore. It is just a fact. To be a wakeboarder you must wakeboard. Playing the part won't get you there.
Wow. That's deep... and profound... NOT!

Who is "playing a part"? What part is that?
Old    Scott (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-15-2017, 4:42 AM Reply   
hmmm, maybe this one.
Attached Images
 
Old    Justin Harrelson (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-15-2017, 7:11 AM Reply   
If you talk about your boat more than your wakeboarding, you are probably a poser. If you talk about your wave/wake more than you do what you can do with it, you are probably a poser. If you go on to a wakeboard website and talk about politics more than the last wake event you went to, new trick you want to try or the last kid you taught to ride your are probably a poser. Wakeboarders wakeboard. It is basic, but that is what makes it poetic.

Sorry to take and aside from the original conversation. I am down with wake surfing as long as people are cool about it. If I rolled into a cove and people were running the course, I wouldn't ruin the water for them. Early bird gets the worm. I have equal right to the water, but it would be like dropping in on someone in the line up. There are unwritten rules out there.
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-15-2017, 7:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
If you talk about your boat more than your wakeboarding, you are probably a poser. If you talk about your wave/wake more than you do what you can do with it, you are probably a poser. If you go on to a wakeboard website and talk about politics more than the last wake event you went to, new trick you want to try or the last kid you taught to ride your are probably a poser. Wakeboarders wakeboard. It is basic, but that is what makes it poetic.

Sorry to take and aside from the original conversation. I am down with wake surfing as long as people are cool about it. If I rolled into a cove and people were running the course, I wouldn't ruin the water for them. Early bird gets the worm. I have equal right to the water, but it would be like dropping in on someone in the line up. There are unwritten rules out there.
I'm not gonna even respond to your straw man argument because that's all it is. What a waste of time you spent writing that.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-15-2017, 8:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
If you talk about your boat more than your wakeboarding, you are probably a poser. If you talk about your wave/wake more than you do what you can do with it, you are probably a poser. If you go on to a wakeboard website and talk about politics more than the last wake event you went to, new trick you want to try or the last kid you taught to ride your are probably a poser. Wakeboarders wakeboard. It is basic, but that is what makes it poetic.

Sorry to take and aside from the original conversation. I am down with wake surfing as long as people are cool about it. If I rolled into a cove and people were running the course, I wouldn't ruin the water for them. Early bird gets the worm. I have equal right to the water, but it would be like dropping in on someone in the line up. There are unwritten rules out there.
One thing a poser hates is being called a poser lol. It's been like that since skateboarding in the 80s.

My favourite is when some posts a pic of their "wave" and you can tell they spent hours of time and took 50 different photos at different angles all trying make their surf wave look as big as possible to impress the internet.
Old    MLO (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-15-2017, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fence_sence View Post
+1. How the tables have turned.

God damn wakeboarders with their giant wakes screwing up the water for everyone else. What a bunch of self righteous, inconsiderate A-holes.

Sound familiar? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Can't we all just agree on the one thing we ALL hate, tubers?
YES Amen! And don't forget jets skis. I love what old man Wiley said about them. While in his store he said "god made jet skis so white trash could go boating".

Last edited by cbarguy1; 02-15-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old    Adam Bernier (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-16-2017, 7:07 AM Reply   
As mentioned above, from those on the outside looking in, wakesurfing is taking the world by storm because any Joe off the street can participate. I personally will always love wakeboarding more because there's no greater feeling than landing a new trick or launching yourself into the air. I do wakesurf, but it's always at the end to the day, when I'm sure I'm not ruining anyone else's wakeboard set doing so. I.E.: end of the day, when the sun's headed down and not messing it up for anyone else during the magic hour. (assuming I don't want another wakeboard set myself)
I think ultimately there is a communication problem between dedicated wakeboarders and wakesurfers. In wakeboarding, if you really want a good set, there are limited areas on any given body of water that smooth water can be found. YOU CAN WAKESURF ANYWHERE.
Boating is a community activity. You want to meet up with your friends, make sure everyone has a good time and enjoy your time as well. The key, if you want to work towards actually fixing the problem, is to interact with these people who are obviously not understanding the repercussions of her actions. Get to know these people, talk with them, show them where they can have fun without pissing in everyone else's cheerios.
Instead of bitching, moaning, quitting and taking your ball home uselessly about a trend that is obviously not going to ebb any time soon, start taking some action to improve your accessibility to good riding water at your favorite spot.
The influx of mindless ********s to any given body of water will only grow. The only reason they appear to be mindless ********s is because you do not know them. They are just "those people" on another boat. If you make attempts to reach out to people as diplomatically as possible, you can make strides of change on your lake.
When my family came to our home lake 10 years ago, we didn't know a soul. Now most weekends, it's not strange to have up to 20 boats tied together in our wakeboarding cove partying, and watching everyone take turns enjoying the water.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us