Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
Hey there,

So the back-bench piece of upholstery in my 2001 xstar is shot. I need to take this out of the boat and have it re-upholstered. The only problem is, I'm not sure how to get it out. Does anyone of any ideas on how to do this?

I have attached an image to show you what Im talking about.
Attached Images

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-21-2015, 11:52 AM Reply   
Man I am getting ready to do the same thing in October, if you figure it out post it up! I would also try Mastercraft team Talk forum.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-23-2015, 6:33 AM Reply   
I took mine out two years ago. Hope you have long skinny arms and wear long sleeves. There are nuts way up inside that you have to get to. Take all cushions off your gonna have to reach way up inside its not fun but doable. I dont remember the nut size. If I remember right there are about 8. The hardest ones to get to are on the sides. Its work and not alot of fun but saves you a ton of money. Good luck!!!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-23-2015, 6:45 AM Reply   
There may be 4 that come straight down from the top and some in the seat backs but you gotta reach up and feel around. There are ones on each side that wrap around that are way out to the ends that are very hard to get to.
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       09-23-2015, 3:05 PM Reply   
i did this a few years ago on my 02 X30. i'm guessing its pretty similar. there are lots of bolts you have to get to and a lot of them are a blind reach. what i found in taking it off was that unbolting the rear bolts on the gunnel (?) pads just forward of the rear seat helped loosed the whole thing up for removal. beyond the fact that i never could get my vinyl to go on perfectly, putting it back in was where i made my biggest mistake. i really should have had a minimum of 2 people. i did it myself and when i got the starboard side to pop back in the whole thing settled and on of the bolts on the port side put a tear/hole in the gunnel pad vinyl about 6 inches forward of the communication between the rear lounge and the pad. having a 2nd person there to watch the back would have saved my vinyl.
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       09-23-2015, 3:09 PM Reply   
i also took off the middle section of the rear seat fiberglass. this gave me great access to the transmission and surrounding area. gave me a chance to give it a good cleaning and i also took the opportunity to clean the transmission filter.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-01-2015, 2:28 AM Reply   
I don't remember the exact amount of bolts off the top of my head but it's a straight forward unbolt.

Lift open the hatches and you'll see 4 bolts or so going perpendicular to the floor. Right in middle of backrest. Remove those. Next bend over into the engine compartment and look up. Ther should be 4 bolts going straight up and down.

Now this is the "blind feel" part. If your arms are long enough you can climb in the rear hatch and reach forward. There should be two bolts on each side(may only be one) you have to really reach forward to feel them. The side with the fuel line is a BEOTCH, You can try and come up from in front of the rear bench on the drivers side of your arm is skinny enough........have a nice long socket to help you and wear long sleeves.

The key to reinstalling is making sure you put all the studs back in the holes without the nut on there. In most cases when you try to unhook the seatbacks the studs pop off.