Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-21-2015, 3:31 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...76088&page=999
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-22-2015, 2:20 PM Reply   
"I'm one of the mental giants who have done it more than once."
-Swass, circa 2003

When I first got on this forum, Swass was a regular contributor ... and ... he's a bright guy, he might even be a college prof. So his words to me here are re-assuring ... that sure it's a mistake but can be made by anybody ... probably made most often when distracted.

But to be clear, it's a heart-quickening moment when ... what has happened and what that means ... is first realized.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-22-2015, 5:53 PM Reply   
So how bad was it this time LOL
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       05-23-2015, 7:42 AM Reply   
Sucks man!
Did that a few summers ago with my centurion dd lol. Has 2 plugs, 1 in the rear like normal and 1 in the center beneath the motor. I rarely ever took the center plug out, but for whatever reason I did. Went out with my buddy and his gf, in which their knowledge of boating stops after understanding that the boat floats.

Backed the boat down, tied it up, went to park the truck, as I'm casually strolling back to the dock, **** I FORGOT THE PLUG.
Run down the dock and hop in the boat. The bilge pump was being over ran and the bilge was basically full. About to start getting my carpet wet.
Try sticking that big ass plug in the size of a silver dollar when there is water shooting up through it and your bilge is full.

Got it handled and after being a little shaken up and embarrassed. Continued the day. Couldn't believe I did that.

Last edited by Jmorlan; 05-23-2015 at 7:46 AM.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2015, 9:14 AM Reply   
I did it once but fortunately I was in the boat. Launched, started situating things while I waited for the truck driver to come back down when I hear water splashing around under the engine cover. Flip it open and the belts are spinning water everywhere. I located the plug in a cup holder, I left the boat running because I'm well away from the dock (we don't really have a place to hold your boat on a dock) I dive over and put the plug in. Motor to the beach and just wait for the bilge pump to do its thing. Everything was A okay but yeah that'll give the old heart a jolt.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-26-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
Did it last week for the third time! second time this boat! How embarrassing!!! Figured it out when my wife asked if I opened the valve to fill ballast. Luckily I caught it in time for the bilge and my extra tsunami pump to handle it.
Old     (AndrewP)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-27-2015, 10:40 AM Reply   
I did that a few years ago. I used to live a few blocks from the boat ramp. Backed the boat in and tied it off leaving the ex-wife there while I ran home to get the radio faceplate. Come back and hop in the boat and was like WTF!!!!!! You didn't notice all the water in the floor! That wasn't a good day....
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-27-2015, 9:27 PM Reply   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPscBxMS51Q
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-28-2015, 12:01 PM Reply   
Not the drain plug but similar result-

When I was around 19 or so I bought my first boat. I'd been around them as a kid but this one was mine. It was a 17' Bayliner with an outboard engine. The night before we took it out for the first time I was really worried about the drain plug, like can't sleep worried. I must have checked it 10 times by the time we put the boat in the water. I leave my GF and a couple friends holding the boat and park the truck. Get in the boat and water is coming in up to the floor! I pull the boat over to the ramp and prop the back up on the motor. Get it pulled out and find out the seller had a fish finder he had removed. There was a 1" hole under the swimstep. I wanted to drive to his house and strangle him but the GF calmed me down. Went into town and bought an expansion plug instead and went back out wit no issues...........................Moral is don't buy a Bayliner, lol..........
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       05-29-2015, 10:33 AM Reply   
Speaking of drain plug. Courtesy of folsom lake my engine had to come out for a bent rudder shaft, so I had them throw on a remote oil drain. And filter relocation. Gotta make the best of an inconvenient situation. Now I'll be able to drain the oil through the plug. Can't tell you how excited I am to not have to pull from the dipstick ever again on this boat