Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    the not so naked chef (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-26-2014, 12:01 PM Reply   
Maybe more like 1986 or so? Really hard to say. I just bought this board and it's probably the most radical wakeboard in my collection..right up there with my sano, and woody. I consider this board to be very rare because I've only heard of the brand but never seen a board in any old wakeboarding photo.

I also only know very little about the brand--pro tech. If you google Ian Pitcairn you find some information and he's credited with being an early shaper in wakeboarding. Shaping. This is why I think this board is radical--it's an actual shaped board, seemingly very much like a surf board. This board also has a patent number on it, but I'm not sure what the technology specifically applies too. Again, on a search you can find other patent info with Ian being included, possibly having licensed the tech to use it.

I know this brand had an ad in waterski magazine. i'm not trying to name drop, but I would have never heard of this brand were it not for erich schmaltz, because he mentioned it to me before I ever heard of it. he saw an ad in waterski magazine and he has an old promo vid called "air animal" featuring the team.

Anyway, here are the pics.
Attached Images

Old    D.F.T.R. Josh (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2014, 12:17 PM Reply   
LOVE THAT!
I have a Connely Blade Runner that I don't think I can every part with. Bought new at the UT boat show some time back. Just looked at it yesterday and thought it was pretty awesome that I still had it and how far Wakeboarding has come. About 10 YRS ago I gave away my Skurfer and wish I never did...
Old    Train (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-26-2014, 3:15 PM Reply   
That's pretty sweet. Looks like a pretty long single fin too. What are the dimensions on that thing? I've heard of pro tech before, but never had I seen any "wakeboards" from them. I'm jealous of your collection snow.
Old    Andy Nintzel (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-27-2014, 8:52 AM Reply   
so rad!
Old    Justin Harrelson (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-27-2014, 9:51 AM Reply   
That is a piece of artwork. Nice find.
Old    Chris Ranner (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       08-27-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
That's a nice piece of history there, it looks like the sport has come full circle now though as you could probably surf with that!
Old    Riley Logue (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-27-2014, 3:29 PM Reply   
that's so sick. looks like something you'd use for big wave surfing at jaws.
Old    the not so naked chef (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-02-2014, 12:22 PM Reply   
Thanks, i'll have to measure it when i get home. I think it's close to 5 feet tall, maybe a bit less.

I think that's a pretty good point chris (the full circle comment). Looking at the past and the different names and riding styles--freeboarding, wakeboarding, skurfing and now wakeskating also...we said surfing behind boats was the start of wakeboarding, and now we fully have wakeboarding, wakeskatingand wakesurfing. Then i have this action now magazine from 84 and they called it freeboarding, but what they did was bindingless and they were popping their moves reentry. some guys were hand shaping boards that were short for the time. I thought it closer resembled wakeskating, but it's very much like wakesurfing nowadays.

Here's an ad from a waterski magazine--august 86 i think. It was the issue with tony finn riding the nose of this skurfer. A bindingless board that again, i saw as being something closer to wakeskating because of how he's blasting, but it's very wake surfey also.

Anyway, i am curious as to what boards people will want to collect down the line. Terry kidwell just re-released a version of his first sims pro model snowboard (apparently only 300 of the original were made) and people are pumped on it. I haven't been able to pull up the site, but i guess it's like 1000.00 dollars and it was made by paul schmidtt at ps stix (he also made the last cassette wakeskates).It will just be interesting to see what wake items people eventually search after...
Attached Images

Last edited by electricsnow; 09-02-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old    John Anderson (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-02-2014, 12:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by downfortheride View Post
LOVE THAT!
I have a Connely Blade Runner that I don't think I can every part with
The Blade Runner was my first board. Gave it to a guy from Australia to hang in his shop.
Old    the not so naked chef (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-03-2014, 6:15 PM Reply   
I measured it and I think that's what those numbers are about above--it's about 59 inches long and 16 inches wide.
Old    Eubanks (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-03-2014, 7:41 PM Reply   
So funny...the Blade Runner was my first board was well. My parents used to jokingly call me "The Blade Man'. Traded it for a Connelly Switchstance a couple of years later. Don't have either board anymore.
Old    Jason Buffalow (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-04-2014, 7:48 AM Reply   
Hey naked - Can you throw those up on Wakeboarding Hall of Fame on FB? We are always looking for legit wakeboarding history.