Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Tom Yokoi (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       08-22-2014, 7:53 PM Reply   
Maybe its my small group of friends or not trusting strangers. Do you guys take money from people who go out with you? I don't have a great wake boat like some, a ski brendella that we can usually take out on the weekend for 4-5 hours on $25-$50 bucks in gas. My fiancee and I are no pros we just like to ride, I try to clear the small wake, we surf and sometimes tube before going in. We usually try and get another couple or a friend to go with us so we have a flagger. they usually can't board or surf although we have got some up. But point being I don't expect them to pay, when they offer I kindly decline and tell them we couldn't have gone out without them. I cant get my sets with to people. But I read all these posts about people wanting gas money ect.. our friends help dry the boat which is really all I ask besides flagging when they aren't out. Anyone else in the same boat?
Old    RB (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-22-2014, 8:33 PM Reply   
I think its all about what you want to do. Running a new large wake boat is expensive. If you are taking the same people out over and over I can see expecting them to pay their way. I mean you don't go to the cable and expect a free ride, do you? If its just once I wouldn't personally expect it. Me, I would never ask someone for gas money or expect it, but if someone offers I sure wouldn't turn it down. Like most have said people who take marathon sets, don't help out, and aren't generally fun to be with on the water don't get asked back. Those are usually the same ones not offering gas money and expecting a free ride.

I understand the logic of if you can't afford it then you shouldn't have it. I get that, but gas is different to me. If you weren't there I'd use less gas so like I said if someone offers I will accept. But just what I think is fair for what they used. I would never expect someone to pay my cost of ownership.

If you are cool with footing the bill then thats cool for you. But if its $50 every time you hit the water thats going to add up...
Old    Tom Yokoi (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       08-22-2014, 8:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
I think its all about what you want to do. Running a new large wake boat is expensive. If you are taking the same people out over and over I can see expecting them to pay their way. I mean you don't go to the cable and expect a free ride, do you? If its just once I wouldn't personally expect it. Me, I would never ask someone for gas money or expect it, but if someone offers I sure wouldn't turn it down. Like most have said people who take marathon sets, don't help out, and aren't generally fun to be with on the water don't get asked back. Those are usually the same ones not offering gas money and expecting a free ride.

I understand the logic of if you can't afford it then you shouldn't have it. I get that, but gas is different to me. If you weren't there I'd use less gas so like I said if someone offers I will accept. But just what I think is fair for what they used. I would never expect someone to pay my cost of ownership.

If you are cool with footing the bill then thats cool for you. But if its $50 every time you hit the water thats going to add up...
Definitely it adds up, they don't pay the insurance or maint. But I wouldnt expect a friend to pay for gas in a car if I could only use it with them, getting at the fact that they may or may not board, definitely don't take up too much behind the boat time, more just there for the ride, holding the flag maybe a few tries on a board or tube. It doesn't seem right as two people isn't enough to board (boarder, driver, flagger) we need three to my knowledge in ca.
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-22-2014, 9:17 PM Reply   
Kinda like boardman says, really depends. If your just going out to have fun and kinda hang out with friends you have outside of boating not serious water sports people no I wouldn't expect any money. But if you have a crew of solid boarders and that's the sole purpose you go out for then yes I expect they will cover their gas use. If I asked a couple guys to go snow boarding I wouldn't pay for their lift tickets nor would they expect that.
A loaded wakeboard set of about 20-30 mins uses about 4 gals of gas on these boats. The guy riding should pay for that.
Old    Tom Yokoi (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       08-22-2014, 9:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Kinda like boardman says, really depends. If your just going out to have fun and kinda hang out with friends you have outside of boating not serious water sports people no I wouldn't expect any money. But if you have a crew of solid boarders and that's the sole purpose you go out for then yes I expect they will cover their gas use. If I asked a couple guys to go snow boarding I wouldn't pay for their lift tickets nor would they expect that.
A loaded wakeboard set of about 20-30 mins uses about 4 gals of gas on these boats. The guy riding should pay for that.
Fair enough, but I you don't really "need" people to go snowboarding. But. I guess I don't bring people I only wakeboard with, they're always old friends or coworkers. And I don't even do 20-30 min sets! Ha, maybe 40 minutes collectively throughout a day.
Old    Ryan Entz (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-22-2014, 10:50 PM Reply   
I feel if your:
Along for the ride-free
Taking pics- free
Getting some sun- free
Helping me with my kids- free
One short set - prolly free
Came with full intentions of being behind the boat- $omething is very much appreciated and excepted!
If you came out with me for the day and borded 3 times. $20 is Chheeeeeeap entertainment! How else could you kill 4-6 hours and have this much fun for a 20 spot!
Old    Russ Constable (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-22-2014, 11:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeSr View Post
I feel if your:
Along for the ride-free
Taking pics- free
Getting some sun- free
Helping me with my kids- free
One short set - prolly free
Came with full intentions of being behind the boat- $omething is very much appreciated and excepted!
If you came out with me for the day and borded 3 times. $20 is Chheeeeeeap entertainment! How else could you kill 4-6 hours and have this much fun for a 20 spot!
+1
Old    Tom Yokoi (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       08-23-2014, 12:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeSr View Post
I feel if your:
Along for the ride-free
Taking pics- free
Getting some sun- free
Helping me with my kids- free
One short set - prolly free
Came with full intentions of being behind the boat- $omething is very much appreciated and excepted!
If you came out with me for the day and borded 3 times. $20 is Chheeeeeeap entertainment! How else could you kill 4-6 hours and have this much fun for a 20 spot!
Ya but I could see myself spending that plus some easily on a bar tab for the same people asking nothing in return...
Old    Tom Yokoi (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       08-23-2014, 12:21 AM Reply   
Point being, I don't own a high class wake boat. Maybe that costs $100-$200 a trip. Then I could understand. Otherwise, maybe people should just appreciate the extra bodies...
Old    Tom Yokoi (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       08-23-2014, 12:23 AM Reply   
But to be honest if it cost me 100-200 a weekend, I probably wouldn't go out...
Old    Darren Yearsley (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-23-2014, 12:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Kinda like boardman says, really depends. If your just going out to have fun and kinda hang out with friends you have outside of boating not serious water sports people no I wouldn't expect any money. But if you have a crew of solid boarders and that's the sole purpose you go out for then yes I expect they will cover their gas use. If I asked a couple guys to go snow boarding I wouldn't pay for their lift tickets nor would they expect that.
A loaded wakeboard set of about 20-30 mins uses about 4 gals of gas on these boats. The guy riding should pay for that.
I am exactly the same. It depends on the crew, if it's family fun day then usually no money expected. If it is a focused crew who compete and "train" then money expected.
Old    Nailem (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-23-2014, 6:09 AM Reply   
My two buddies have boats kept in the same marina. We go out every Wednesday after work. We usually take my boat because the surf wave is way better than the SAN 236 and the other is an I/O. I would never ask for gas money but it would be nice for them to offer. We usually only surf for 3 hours but it is around $50-$70 because we're surfing the whole time. Also the added hours to mine. I am not going to ask for money but it would be nice for them to offer. Other than that most friends do offer to chip in or buy dinner so I'm good with that. Guess that's the price to pay for a great surf wake.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-23-2014, 7:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
I am exactly the same. It depends on the crew, if it's family fun day then usually no money expected. If it is a focused crew who compete and "train" then money expected.
+1
Old    Mark (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-23-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryguy1717 View Post
But to be honest if it cost me 100-200 a weekend, I probably wouldn't go out...
You may be into the wrong sport.
Old    Jordan Haugen (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-23-2014, 8:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryguy1717 View Post
But to be honest if it cost me 100-200 a weekend, I probably wouldn't go out...

It just depends what you are into. It sure seems like you are trying to justify to us why you do not take gas money... Or maybe why all of us shouldn't? When I put my boat in the water wakeboarding is the #1 priority. hanging out, swimming, drinking, etc is #2. If I have my regular crew , they all showed up to be behind the boat. If this is the case gas money is highly appreciated. Like everyone said a set can easily cost 20$. If the person came with and is new and trying it out, or just hanging in the boat, gas money is never expected. Once you bring a crew out to solely be behind the boat, and start putting 3-4 hrs on the clock in that day... I'd be very appreciative for the gas money, or food, or beverages, whatever. On the other side if you are only burning 25$ in that day and you want to foot that bill then good for you bud. That's a nice thing for you to be doing. Everyone needs to survey their own situation and have their own priorities wether they feel they should or shouldn't be footed a bit of gas money.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       08-23-2014, 10:40 AM Reply   
my boat surfs better and a guy here I hang with has a boat that wakeboards better. we swap rides and days on the boat. I've never offered and he's never said anything.

I've not taken gas money when offered for a long time from others that don't own boats as them hitting the water with us means we have an observer to allow us to get in the water. I probably should as it does get expensive at $50-75 each outing if towing surfers but without them going, I wouldn't be in the water.
Old    Brian Stroup (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
I don't expect money when I take people out riding, much like I don't expect to pay for dinner and drinks when I get invited over to their houses.

I need help getting a new fridge outta my truck and into the kitchen.......I'm calling you etc...

It all works out.
Old    Ryan (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       08-23-2014, 12:47 PM Reply   
If people come out with me for the sole intention of boarding...the first times on me, if its more consistent riding I expect them to chip in for fuel and help with cleaning. Gas isnt cheap and if im paying $60 a day for other people to ride it adds up quick when you calculate payments, insurance and maintenance on new boats. But... If I'm inviting friends out for fun and lounging, I dont expect it but I do appreciate the offer depending on what we're doing. Some non boating people just aren't aware of the costs so I never sweat it much! Go out and have fun, the rest will work itself out!
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-24-2014, 1:31 AM Reply   
If they don't ride and are just out there to hang out with you, no money should be expected. Especially if they are performing flagging duties and enabling you to ride in the first place.
If it's occasional and they are only out a few times a season, same applies.
If they are a regular and always ride, especially if you surf and kill 1/2 ($50-60) a tank a outing between a few people, then they should chip in something. Generally about 5 gallons of gas/$20 per person per day to cover their own usage is good.

I make it a point of whenever I ride someones boat to get them $20-30 in gas money, we mainly surf and I know I use that or close to it. No reason the boat owner should pay for me to play. They're already being generous enough having me come out with them in the first place.
Old    Mike North Carolina (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       08-24-2014, 7:29 AM Reply   
My boat burns $100-130 a day, u guys r lucky
Old    Scott (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-24-2014, 7:52 AM Reply   
This has been done too many times...Pick which category you are in:

1. You don't ask once in a while guests for money.
2. So rich you don't care about the money so you don't ask once in a while or regular crew riders for money.
3. You need riders so you can go yourself, so you don't ask your regular crew riders for money.
4. You can afford not to ask for money but prefer getting it because you believe your regular crew riders would prefer to pay their own way.
5. You need the money and you believe your regular crew riders would prefer to pay their own way.

Their is nothing more moral or immoral about any of these categories. It is like hosting a dinner party either providing absolutely everything for your guests so they can kick back and just enjoy. Vs. asking your dinner party guests to bring a dish to share so they can feel good about their contribution and have something to chat about (the recipe)...
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-24-2014, 9:58 AM Reply   
^This is pretty much it.

^^I believe that. The $50-60 is normally only about 3-4 hours out and with 2 or 3 riders total. I could see definitely being out for the entire day easily killing a tank, especially with a full crew riding.
Old    Mark (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-25-2014, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
This has been done too many times...Pick which category you are in:

1. You don't ask once in a while guests for money.
2. So rich you don't care about the money so you don't ask once in a while or regular crew riders for money.
3. You need riders so you can go yourself, so you don't ask your regular crew riders for money.
4. You can afford not to ask for money but prefer getting it because you believe your regular crew riders would prefer to pay their own way.
5. You need the money and you believe your regular crew riders would prefer to pay their own way.

Their is nothing more moral or immoral about any of these categories. It is like hosting a dinner party either providing absolutely everything for your guests so they can kick back and just enjoy. Vs. asking your dinner party guests to bring a dish to share so they can feel good about their contribution and have something to chat about (the recipe)...
You missed one..
6. Pretty much everyone you ride with has a boat, so you just trade pulls and it evens out.
Old    Baitkiller (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-25-2014, 6:43 AM Reply   
A thought:
If you ask for money or compensation in any form it becomes an easy reach for the litigious minded to consider you a charter. If you dont have an OUPV licence dont accept money.
This is the world in which we live. Somebody gets hurt and guys in cheap suits start asking questions.
Old    Justin Michael (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-25-2014, 3:45 PM Reply   
I have found that I average about $15 per pull minimum. Usually a 20-30minute set. So I give $30-$40 for my usual 2 sets. I spent 3 days skiing for 10 hours per day. Not much travel. Just skiing and it was like $16 per pull average @ $3.40 per gallon.

My usual crew just trades money. Some boats get used more than others so if we all pay it is never unequal.
Old    Tom Yokoi (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       09-13-2014, 10:03 PM Reply   
Maybe its because I don't have a "real" wakesurf wakeboard boat. It's a ski boat and I can go all day on $40 of gas. None of my friends really ride. Theyll take a few tries on a surf or board or tube but other than that flag. So I feel like theyre doing me a favor so I can ride.
Old    Charlie Zulu (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-13-2014, 10:32 PM Reply   
The cost of filling my boat is around $150.. The cost of owning it and towing is another equation... If you're a "rider" its' generally 10-15 bucks a set... No contribution means no invite for round two.. Some of the "oh I forgot my wallet" bro's chip in b4 the boat leaves the dock or they're waving us off with a tear in their eye.. lol!!..
Old    Kronos (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-14-2014, 7:58 PM Reply   
One big reason why I have chosen my boat, is gas consumption. I wanted the Prius of wakeboard boats.

My suggestion to some of you, if you cant afford gas, don't buy such a big boat, go 20ft-21ft
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-14-2014, 11:29 PM Reply   
Riders usually throw in 20-30 buck for the day. When they bring girls or girlfriends, they usually bring the snacks so it's a win win. I never take money from people that don't get behind the boat though. Thankfully, my crew knows it costs to own and run a boat so they practically throw me money haha.

However, if a dude boards for a long ass time and does't throw me money or help wash up, there usually isn't another invite.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:59 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us