Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Brendan (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2014, 9:31 AM Reply   
Looking for advice on how to get bigger airs. I am riding a doomswell nubstep. believe its a 4"6. I have been able to pop and get little airs. My main question is what the trick to carry more speed up to the launch. I feel like at times my carves slow the board down right be for the launch.

video for reference

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfoo4h3oa142ft7/Brendan.mp4
Old    Anthony T (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-28-2014, 1:21 PM Reply   
I'm no expert but been working on airs this season. From reading all the tips from others, looks like you did too much of a bottom turn just before you air and that's what's causing you to slow down.
Old    Brendan (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2014, 1:26 PM Reply   
whats the trick in building speed I guess is what I need to figure out. Building it and not loosing it up to an air.
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-28-2014, 7:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by v10rider View Post
I'm no expert but been working on airs this season. From reading all the tips from others, looks like you did too much of a bottom turn just before you air and that's what's causing you to slow down.
Expert or not, your advice is on the right track.

The bottom turn the OP is doing seems to be taking away the speed he generated. Plus, when you bottom turn that much before your air, you have to make sure to get your feet back underneath you before you hit the lip. Otherwise, you end up popping at an angle which can make you feel off balance. Not much of a bottom turn is needed if you have enough speed going forward. Chase Hazen does big ol' bottom turns before he airs, but Chase Hazen is a boss... he can do that kind of thing. You just want to get good speed going forward and then change the speed from forward to upward. I think there are 5 basic parts to airs. Go forward, change forward into upward, lift your feet HIGH, shift weight, land even.

Here's a clip I put together of an air I did a while back to help out a member in a different forum. It shows not much bottom turn is needed if you have the right speed.



This video has a ton of great information. Fast forward to the 8 minute mark for their info on airs.



You've got this!

Last edited by petrie141; 07-28-2014 at 7:32 PM.
Old    Brendan (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2014, 7:37 PM Reply   
That lf video helped. I think I just need to lift and level out higher. Really lift that front leg up. Also need to work on my approach with maintaining speed.
Old    Nick Wiersema (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2014, 8:37 PM Reply   
It is pretty much like Ryan indicated. In a few attempts you were there, your timing was better and your positioning was decent for getting your first little airs or what we usually call baby airs. However, in a number of cases your pumping is a little weak, not really fluid, and when you drop to the bottom you stall too much instead of immediately moving up the face. Basically while you are dropping/falling during the pump you want to be thinking about the up ward ascent. You want to throw your body up, throw your hands up, then level it all out. And, yes the next thing once you are comfortable with the initial launch is knees to your chest, bringing those knees up is huge.

Last edited by Chaos; 07-28-2014 at 8:38 PM. Reason: sp
Old    Brendan (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-29-2014, 6:38 AM Reply   
ok got it! Thanks nick. Sounds like I need to work on my pumping as well. Your saying basically to be lighter and quicker on the feet while pumping?
Old    Nick Wiersema (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-29-2014, 7:02 AM Reply   
Yes, start with smaller pumps, holding between the lip and the mid face, this is your steepest and 'fastest' area. Learn to pump and hold right in that area, then you can expand to larger more aggressive pumping.
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-29-2014, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Yes, start with smaller pumps, holding between the lip and the mid face, this is your steepest and 'fastest' area. Learn to pump and hold right in that area, then you can expand to larger more aggressive pumping.
+1

Your pumps seemed to be dramatic (a lot of up, down, and out) without much momentum being gained. Quality pushes over quantity. The way you move on the board now shows you already have a good feel for the flow, so I bet you'll be airing soon! I had what I call an "aha!" moment where it all just clicked. I bet you'll have one too.
Old    Brendan (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-29-2014, 10:38 AM Reply   
Ah ok. So stay in the mid to upper part of the wave and work on smaller pumps. Got it!
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-30-2014, 12:35 AM Reply   
I'm in the same boat as you Brendan. I haven't quite got the airs down. I tend to carve and get some speed, but lose a lot of it when trying to get air off the top of the wake. I usually end up like you, on the top of it doing a lip slide, or even just going up and over to the other side, which would be really handy if we had a powered surf system on the boat, not a manual one.
I read the thread and watched the video and applied what I learned today. Same thing, not getting any real pop off the wake and either doing a stall, lip slide, or just plain carving up and over the wake whenever I attempt airs. Your video in the first post is pretty much what I'm doing when I attempt airs.
My numerous attempts today led to a lot of falls, and some very interesting, "how did he not bite it?" recoveries, but no air.

When the gopro video gets taken off the camera I'll post it up here for some critiquing as well.

A couple of times I had a really good amount of speed going, I felt like if I launched I'd land in the boat instead of going up the wake for air. I think that's the kind of speed you're looking for, right? One of those times I just flew over the lip into the the other side, I think that's when I'm supposed to do the ollie and I mistimed it so it was more or less a strong carve over the lip.

Last edited by phathom; 07-30-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-30-2014, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
I'm in the same boat as you Brendan. I haven't quite got the airs down. I tend to carve and get some speed, but lose a lot of it when trying to get air off the top of the wake. I usually end up like you, on the top of it doing a lip slide, or even just going up and over to the other side, which would be really handy if we had a powered surf system on the boat, not a manual one.
I read the thread and watched the video and applied what I learned today. Same thing, not getting any real pop off the wake and either doing a stall, lip slide, or just plain carving up and over the wake whenever I attempt airs. Your video in the first post is pretty much what I'm doing when I attempt airs.
My numerous attempts today led to a lot of falls, and some very interesting, "how did he not bite it?" recoveries, but no air.

When the gopro video gets taken off the camera I'll post it up here for some critiquing as well.

A couple of times I had a really good amount of speed going, I felt like if I launched I'd land in the boat instead of going up the wake for air. I think that's the kind of speed you're looking for, right? One of those times I just flew over the lip into the the other side, I think that's when I'm supposed to do the ollie and I mistimed it so it was more or less a strong carve over the lip.
I've never felt like I was going to launch and land in the boat. Maybe those were some powerful pumps and they just felt unnatural, which made you feel that way? How many pumps did it take you to generate that much speed? What I'm wondering is maybe you pumped past the spot where you should air at and got too close to the boat? Now that I think about it, if I did that I bet it would feel like I was going to land in the boat too. Either way, even if you're carrying a ton of speed, once you point the board up to ride up the wave that should change your momentum from forward to up. Anything is possible, so make sure you air in the right spot and not too close to the boat, but if you point that board up and get ready to air I don't think you'll continue going forward. The GoPro footage will probably help out a lot.
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-30-2014, 7:53 AM Reply   
We have about a 15-20 foot pocket, not huge, but definitely enough to drop back and build up some speed. Only takes about two pumps to get that kind of speed and trying to get air on a third. As I mentioned I kept either doing a stall on the lip or sometimes shooting up and over to the dark side. I really think I'm either trying to launch at the wrong part or my timing with my feet is off.
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-30-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
We have about a 15-20 foot pocket, not huge, but definitely enough to drop back and build up some speed. Only takes about two pumps to get that kind of speed and trying to get air on a third. As I mentioned I kept either doing a stall on the lip or sometimes shooting up and over to the dark side. I really think I'm either trying to launch at the wrong part or my timing with my feet is off.
Hmm. Hard to say without the video really, it could be a combination of both. Assuming you're in the right spot, when you ride up the wave to air, does the nose come up real high over the lip? Or is it already starting to pull you to the other wake? If it turns into a stall it sounds like you get up to the top of the wake and end up flat losing energy. To avoid the stall you might want to let the nose ride way in the air past the top of the wake. Once it's way in the air like you're doing a wheelie shift your weight from your back foot to the front which will level you out. If your nose was high enough, and you had enough speed, once you've shifted your weight you should be in the air. I could see how doing the weight shift too soon would make you end up flat in the stall position.
Old    Trayson Harmon (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013       07-30-2014, 7:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
I'm in the same boat as you Brendan. I haven't quite got the airs down. I tend to carve and get some speed, but lose a lot of it when trying to get air off the top of the wake. I usually end up like you, on the top of it doing a lip slide, or even just going up and over to the other side, which would be really handy if we had a powered surf system on the boat, not a manual one.
I read the thread and watched the video and applied what I learned today. Same thing, not getting any real pop off the wake and either doing a stall, lip slide, or just plain carving up and over the wake whenever I attempt airs. Your video in the first post is pretty much what I'm doing when I attempt airs.
My numerous attempts today led to a lot of falls, and some very interesting, "how did he not bite it?" recoveries, but no air.

When the gopro video gets taken off the camera I'll post it up here for some critiquing as well.

A couple of times I had a really good amount of speed going, I felt like if I launched I'd land in the boat instead of going up the wake for air. I think that's the kind of speed you're looking for, right? One of those times I just flew over the lip into the the other side, I think that's when I'm supposed to do the ollie and I mistimed it so it was more or less a strong carve over the lip.
http://youtu.be/XKyND4c_YF0?list=UUu...uss8sv6B8xganQ
Are you talking about this video, the last half? I can see that you're pumping to try to get your speed, but as you do what would be an air attempt, you basically just kinda wheelie the board so that the tail is what rides up the face. Fins never leave the wave...
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-31-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
http://youtu.be/XKyND4c_YF0?list=UUu...uss8sv6B8xganQ
Are you talking about this video, the last half? I can see that you're pumping to try to get your speed, but as you do what would be an air attempt, you basically just kinda wheelie the board so that the tail is what rides up the face. Fins never leave the wave...
+1 and it's all happening pretty close to the boat, often times past the high point in the wave. Maybe try only one good pump and then the air so you're still a little further back.
Old    Brendan (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-31-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Yes, start with smaller pumps, holding between the lip and the mid face, this is your steepest and 'fastest' area. Learn to pump and hold right in that area, then you can expand to larger more aggressive pumping.
Nick, This was the ticket. I found smaller pumps in the mid to upper part of the wave was the ticket. Carrying good speed now! There certainly is a sweet spot on the wave for launching.
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-03-2014, 2:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
http://youtu.be/XKyND4c_YF0?list=UUu...uss8sv6B8xganQ
Are you talking about this video, the last half? I can see that you're pumping to try to get your speed, but as you do what would be an air attempt, you basically just kinda wheelie the board so that the tail is what rides up the face. Fins never leave the wave...
Yes, this is what I was referring to. I did want to know about my position, so looks like I need to try further back, turn the board up it a lot more sideways, rather than just riding up, and definitely need to do more of an ollie with my feet.

BTW: Just to clarify, I'm referring to 15-20 feet from the transom, so usable pocket is more like 12-17 feetish.

I know what it felt like, and I knew I was definitely missing a big part of something, did not know what it looked like. Thanks for posting the video.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:19 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us