Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Justin (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-16-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Has anyone surfed behind a Tige ASR with the stock ballast?
Old    FENCE SENCE (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-16-2014, 8:25 AM Reply   
I hear it's not as good as the Zs or Rs of any size.
Old    Tristan Dietrich (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-25-2014, 11:45 AM Reply   
I have heard the opposite. My brother rides for Tige, we have a z3 but he has rode the ASR and said it is different than the Z3 but not worse. Said it is meaty and a nice ride. I will get to test it out in August first hand when we have an ASR for a few weeks.
Old    Justin (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-25-2014, 1:35 PM Reply   
I have a ASR. I sold my RZ4 for it. The boat is beautiful! Interior is awesome! I will take my RZ4 surf wake any day over the ASR. What I have been told is that the wake can be great but you have to add an extra 1500lbs in addition to the stock ballast. Very disappointing considering this is a surf boat! It has a surf locker for your boards.

Last edited by Jmarc; 06-25-2014 at 1:38 PM. Reason: mis type
Old    DC (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-26-2014, 8:08 AM Reply   
Give it some time and I bet you'll figure out the weight distribution. It took my sister and her family a while to figure out how to produce a great wave on their Z3.
Random question: is this the same Justin that has a cabin down the street from me at the pinetop lakeside country club in show low?
Old    Steven (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       06-26-2014, 2:12 PM Reply   
Jmarc, the ASR was designed with wakeboarding in mind more than wakesurfing.

"Tige's new ASR is a legit, purpose-built wakeboard boat that's extremely comfortable, stylish and functional. The Tige ASR is the best wakeboard boat for you if: You want a pro-level wake and surf boat that's also big, comfortable, and convenient with progressive new features and styling."

Wakeboarding Magazine ASR Walkthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpvshbgnnuo


Wakeboarding Magazine Wakeboard wake review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG3i-KOb7lg

Wakeboarding Magazine Wakesurf wave review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij5-awZLA44
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-26-2014, 3:29 PM Reply   
Check out what Ben Greenwood said about the ASR Wakeboarding wake.At only 22.6 my on a 80 foot rope it's "World Class". A wake he would like to ride everyday.
Old    Justin (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-26-2014, 4:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
Give it some time and I bet you'll figure out the weight distribution. It took my sister and her family a while to figure out how to produce a great wave on their Z3.
Random question: is this the same Justin that has a cabin down the street from me at the pinetop lakeside country club in show low?
Yea its me haha. How you doing buddy
Old    Justin (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-26-2014, 4:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
Jmarc, the ASR was designed with wakeboarding in mind more than wakesurfing.

"Tige's new ASR is a legit, purpose-built wakeboard boat that's extremely comfortable, stylish and functional. The Tige ASR is the best wakeboard boat for you if: You want a pro-level wake and surf boat that's also big, comfortable, and convenient with progressive new features and styling."

Wakeboarding Magazine ASR Walkthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpvshbgnnuo


Wakeboarding Magazine Wakeboard wake review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG3i-KOb7lg

Wakeboarding Magazine Wakesurf wave review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij5-awZLA44
Steve,

The ASR is not a pro level surf boat. If you want a wave on the starboard side you have to add weight additional to the 3000 lbs in the boat. Which is a bunch of BS because they promote it as a surfboat with the apex ballast!! I have tried every combo of ballast possible. The wave is not ridable. The port side wave forms and is ok. I will post a video of both sides tomorrow.
Old    Shawndoggy (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-26-2014, 6:32 PM Reply   
how in the world did this sneak by your demo?
Old    Justin (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-26-2014, 6:59 PM Reply   
I have been so happy with my other Tige boats that I bought this one before they were out. My mistake.
Old    Paul Chaput (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-27-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
bomb wake lead sacks. hahahaha list it. and maybe to sumo mid floor sac. thats a huge boat and it will take more then 3k lbs to make a good wave. dont own one but thats what i would do. and plus who runs just stoke ballast. slam that thing.
Old    Steven (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       06-27-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
The Z3 and RZ's get loaded with more than 3,000lbs and the ASR is more boat than those. Adding some sacs to that should be a big deal. Yea its a shame it doesnt surf "pro level" out of the box...err dealer floor but having 3000lbs already under the floor means you should still have plenty of storage leftover even if you add some bags to the rear lockers.

Its a big boat and big boats take more weight.
Old    Justin (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-27-2014, 1:51 PM Reply   
So you don't think it should have a rideable wave with stock ballast?
Old    Steven (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       06-27-2014, 2:51 PM Reply   
I think it should, especially with that price tag.

Rideable and pro/contest quality would be two different things though and as stated this is a wakeboard first, wakesurf second boat.
Old    Timmy! (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2014, 9:20 AM Reply   
I think you should clarify "not rideable". I learned to surf on my RZ2 with no ballast at all, only people on one side of the boat. I find it hard to believe that it is "not rideable" with the factory ballast. Maybe it doesn't meet your expectations is a more accurate description.
Old    Justin (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-30-2014, 12:43 PM Reply   
Timmy ,

It is hard to believe isn't it. here is a pick of full strb side ballast. taps at 4 and 5. speed 10 to 13. It always looks like this.
Attached Images
  
Old    Timmy! (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2014, 12:56 PM Reply   
Wow, yeah, that doesn't look good! Is that just the starboard rear full or are other tanks full too? Is the ballast filling all the way? (does it pee out water when it's full?)
Old    Justin (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-30-2014, 1:16 PM Reply   
Full stbd side ballast. I have tried every combo of ballast possible. The port side is ok but not great. The ASR is not a surf boat. Tige told me to add more weight so I added 750lbs and it made it worse!!
Attached Images
 
Old    Tristan Dietrich (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-30-2014, 3:00 PM Reply   
The ASR is not advertised as a surf boat. Maybe your dealer mislead you.

The ASR can definitely surf if weighted right. I believe you are needing more weight up front. To much weight on rear makes a washy wake. Start 100% on front, 100% surf corner and 25% on opposite corner.

Every boat needs more weight than factory to surf a pro wake. Pretty much have to add 750-1500 more lbs depending on people.
Old    Timmy! (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2014, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarc View Post
Full stbd side ballast. I have tried every combo of ballast possible. The port side is ok but not great. The ASR is not a surf boat. Tige told me to add more weight so I added 750lbs and it made it worse!!
And it is peeing out the side? That's the most important detail. Just want to make sure that the timer time doesn't need to be increased. That graph on the Tige Touch is only reporting Full based off it running the length that the timer is set for. If it isn't peeing out the side, your ballast might not be full. Just a though. I want to see you get it surfing for sure.
Old    Timmy! (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2014, 3:23 PM Reply   
Or did Tige add some sort of pressure sensor to know when the ballast is full?
Old    Justin (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-30-2014, 3:30 PM Reply   
Tristan,

It is advertised as a purpose wakeboard and surf boat. It is all over their website. Like I said before don't put a surf locker on a boat that does not surf. I have tried your combo you suggested. Did not work. I have tried it all. Once again I understand if I want a giant wake I will have to add more weight. I have been doing this for a while. This is my 6th boat. I am saying the wave should form with the 3000lb stock ballast. My personal opinion is that the wave will not surf on that side. If you look at the ASR they rounded the back corners of the boat. There is nothing digging in the water to create drag.
Old    Timmy! (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2014, 3:35 PM Reply   
I wanted to plug the drain hole in the surf locker and fill it full of water and see what it would do! I agree with you 100%, you should be able to get a surfable wave out of the boat with the stock ballast.
Old    Mark (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-30-2014, 5:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarc View Post
Tristan,

It is advertised as a purpose wakeboard and surf boat. It is all over their website. Like I said before don't put a surf locker on a boat that does not surf. I have tried your combo you suggested. Did not work. I have tried it all. Once again I understand if I want a giant wake I will have to add more weight. I have been doing this for a while. This is my 6th boat. I am saying the wave should form with the 3000lb stock ballast. My personal opinion is that the wave will not surf on that side. If you look at the ASR they rounded the back corners of the boat. There is nothing digging in the water to create drag.
Agreed. It's the same size/weight/ballast config as a G23 - which throws a PLENTY decent surf wake even without NSS.

I hope that something's just wrong and it's not just a bad design.
Old    Timmy! (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2014, 2:22 PM Reply   
Are you taking the boat out soon? If so, fill the back corner, set your TAPS around 3 or 4 and without using speed set, run the speed up until you get a clean face and see what the speed is. With only one side weighted, you should be able to get a clean face at some point. Then set your speed to that and try and give it a surf. Maybe your speedometer is off?

Last edited by timmyb; 07-02-2014 at 2:32 PM.
Old    Mark (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-02-2014, 5:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Are you taking the boat out soon? If so, fill the back corner, set your TAPS around 3 or 4 and without using speed set, run the speed up until you get a clean face and see what the speed is. With only one side weighted, you should be able to get a clean face at some point. Then set your speed to that and try and give it a surf. Maybe your speedometer is off?
That's a really good point. When I first brought home my old LSV, I couldn't figure out why the wake was all wrong - speedo wasn't calibrated.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-02-2014, 9:28 PM Reply   
I would have to assume that the ASR comes with GPS standard. There can't be a paddle wheel on that boat is there?
Old    Chris (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-03-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
Agreed. It's the same size/weight/ballast config as a G23 - which throws a PLENTY decent surf wake even without NSS.

I hope that something's just wrong and it's not just a bad design.
Except Tige added the convex V hull to the basically their copy of the G23 hull. Maybe that's what is causing the issues. This isn't the first I've heard of this. Friend of mine, who is a pro, went out and rode one at the factory last fall. Said they couldn't get a decent surf wave out of it at all either. Said the wakeboard wake was great, but would curl over if weighted too heavy.
Old    Timmy! (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
Here's my local dealer trying out their ASR the other day. This is obviously not the goofy side though. It doesn't look spectacular or anything but there is a wave there at least, better than what Justin is experiencing.
Attached Images
 
Old    Justin (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-03-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
Thats exactly what my port side wake looks like. Nothing special. But the Stbd side will not form. I l tried doing speed manually. The wake will not form no matter what. It always has white wash . I am taking the boat back to the dealership and they are putting the convex vx on it. Tige said that will fix it. I guess we will see. Its sad that they launched this boat and they looked over the stbd side surf wave!!!!
Old    Tom (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-03-2014, 10:51 AM Reply   
That stbd is definitely not rideable. OP is not exaggerating. Hopefully you get a resolution though.
Old    Nick Wiersema (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-03-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
The VX helps with the goofy wave, but you will still need to be able to get the wave. First this is a huge boat. Do not add 100% to one side. You have to sink the entire ass. You need All stock ballast, both sides etc., then add an additional 1200 to 1600 on the side you are surfing. The port side is better. The goofy wave is more finicky.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-03-2014, 11:11 PM Reply   
The ASR has what, 2800lbs stock? So to get a rideable surfwave, the boat requires 4000-4400 of ballast? Wow.
Old    Aric Brabec (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-03-2014, 11:45 PM Reply   
haha tige, seems as if


Old    Justin (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-05-2014, 8:49 AM Reply   
It has 3000lbs stock ballast. My dealer Germaine marine let me use his personal 2014 Tige Rz2 while they look at my asr. It has the stock surf ballast in it which I believe is 1400lbs . Surfed the stbd side yesterday with 2 in the boat and me surfing . Wave was great for not adding more weight. I really think Tige just screwed up when making this ASR. We will know if that make certain changes for the 2015 ASR's.
Old    Peter T (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-06-2014, 11:16 PM Reply   
Sincere question:

Why would anyone buy this boat? At the boat show this past Spring, the street price of the ASR was within $10,000 of a G23. At the prices that these boats boats go for, that's less than a 10% difference. You can get the best wake boat in the industry, which by the way has an awesome surf wake with the push of a button. Or… you can get a boat that seems to have lots of problems. I sat in both boats. The overall feel of the G23 is so far superior that I just can't see why anyone would would consider an ASR. If you're spending over $100,000 on a boat, why not go for the best?
Disclaimer: We are a Nautique family, so maybe my opinion is clouded, but I really did try to look at both boats objectively. I just couldn't see the value in the Tige.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-07-2014, 4:58 AM Reply   
"There's a ass for every seat." That is what we would say in the car business. I'm sure the boat business is no different. I previously owned a Nautique and loved it. Got 15 years of trouble free service out of it. I now own a Tige,my second one. I looked at MC,Malibu,Nautique,Supra,MB,Axis and Tige when i purchased my Tige's. I've seen the new G's and ridden in and behind one. I haven't ridden behind a ASR though.So I can't compare those two boats yet.
Old    Ben R (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-07-2014, 6:09 AM Reply   
I was in the asr at the chicago boatnshow and i loved the layout and new features. But as a rule i would never buy anything in its first year of production (not that i could afford this one anyways). This goes to show....but im sure tige will figure it out.
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-07-2014, 6:53 AM Reply   
I'm wondering if the prop is maybe set to far back? That's why the VX might help some. Definitely seems like a design flaw. Sorry to hear. I to was hoping the ASR would give the G a run for the money! Competition helps everyone and a cheaper G would be nice but this ASR seems like a giant waste of ones money!
Old    Mike K (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-07-2014, 6:23 PM Reply   
Did you not demo the boat before buying? Seems like you could/should have figured this out before buying it....
Old    Timmy! (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-14-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarc View Post
It has 3000lbs stock ballast. My dealer Germaine marine let me use his personal 2014 Tige Rz2 while they look at my asr. It has the stock surf ballast in it which I believe is 1400lbs . Surfed the stbd side yesterday with 2 in the boat and me surfing . Wave was great for not adding more weight. I really think Tige just screwed up when making this ASR. We will know if that make certain changes for the 2015 ASR's.
That's cool that they let you borrow one. I hope you get it figured out. I love my RZ2 for surfing.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:51 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us