Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-12-2015, 10:12 AM Reply   
Almost done with this Lakewakes NAKED Hooligan wakesurf board in a wide size. 4.6 x 20.750.
Full glass construction with use of aerospace quality fiberglass.
Naked model finish is same as all other custom wakesurf boards on the market.
Attached Images

Old    Trayson Harmon (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013       03-12-2015, 10:22 AM Reply   
^^^^ Is this Desi's new board? I like how the color scheme matches my boat. haha.
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-12-2015, 10:28 AM Reply   
Well planned
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-12-2015, 3:58 PM Reply   
Yes, yes it is. I can't wait for delivery on it next week. The color scheme was intentional, even though it was never asked for, thanks to a thoughtful board maker.
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-13-2015, 3:11 PM Reply   
this 2015 Lakewakes Hooligan wakesurf board ready for Desi Mendez, this version is the Naked Wide model. Weight came in at 5.1# without fins
Attached Images

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-16-2015, 10:59 AM Reply   
Working on this Hybrid surf style board, 4.0 x 18.5 x 1.0

Wakeskim rail
Wakesurf rocker
The talented will be able to pull of skateboard style tricks on this one.
About same surface area as my Lakewakes Flying Saucer 51.50 wakeskim board.
Attached Images

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-19-2015, 12:48 PM Reply   
Fin plug install on some new Lakewakes Flying Saucer wakeskim boards and a Hybrid wakesurf board.

Anyone looking to get a custom, time to act is now as wait times are getting longer.
Attached Images

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-20-2015, 6:31 AM Reply   
http://lakewakes.com/blog/?p=1195

Jay Thomson Lakewakes Hooligan wakesurf board in size 4.9 x 20.750 is ready.
Attached Images

Old    Tom (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-20-2015, 6:35 AM Reply   
The Hooligan looks super fun
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-20-2015, 6:42 AM Reply   
Its a Honest fun board.
Fun , tough and moderately priced.

I can manufacture in finishes of.
Naked fiberglass
Cork finish
Wood veneer
Naked carbon
TEK
Old    Anthonyv911 (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2015, 10:33 AM Reply   
(At least they're not soulcraft. If I see another posting of someone's overpriced soulcraft.....)
Lutzbe Regular(absurd) The Soulcraft boards you see are posted by satisfied customers, this thread is posted by the owner of the boards, and that is way more annoying then looking at peoples pics that are stoked on their Soulcraft's! Or any brand for that matter! As far as overpriced? Why the heck would you care what someone else paid for a board???? These Lakewake boards look like copies of Soulcrafts designs anyway..........Just sayin.............Haters gonna hate!.
Old    A.J. West (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-20-2015, 12:55 PM Reply   
It is pathetic IMO as well that this thread was started back in 6/2014 and 90-95% of the posts are of the owner/partner of Lakewakes (a few posts here and there of interested people) but to post up dang near every board you make (by the way, onc had crooked color graphics) is just sad. However, we don't have to open this thread and read it and the admin permits it so I doesn't matter in the long run. I'll never buy a Lakewakes, no real design innovations IMO (other than the textured look which is different), ugly boards IMO, and there are much better board companies out there. Lakewakes does make an affordable board though, can't take that away from them and I'm sure they are fun boards. I'll be a Chaos owner for years to come as far a surf style goes and there's no way Lakewakes can touch Chaos in performance in that style. I'll stick with Victoria for skim but Phase 5 will be my second choice both for obvious reasons.
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-20-2015, 1:12 PM Reply   
Hey yall.
Thanks for your opinion and wonderful complements.

You may be surprised who the real copy cat may be.
All work put into the Lakewakes and Area 51 brand of boards is done by me and not out sourced.

Only out source would be my shipping boxes, and that is new for 2015 as I was assembling them myself for 6 years.
Old    Anthonyv911 (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2015, 1:47 PM Reply   
I'll stick to buying my boards from a shaper with a ocean surfboard background, and years of experience.( not saying that you don't) Sorry if I offended you, we all know that the nose and tail shapes coming out have been around for years, I guess I was more upset at Lutzbe's comment, and you will have to admit this thread is just a bit overkill on Lakewakes product, can I ask why your boards have no stringers?
Old    Tom (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-20-2015, 3:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
I'll stick to buying my boards from a shaper with a ocean surfboard background, and years of experience.( not saying that you don't) Sorry if I offended you, we all know that the nose and tail shapes coming out have been around for years, I guess I was more upset at Lutzbe's comment, and you will have to admit this thread is just a bit overkill on Lakewakes product, can I ask why your boards have no stringers?

All ocean surfboards and skimboards also have the same nose and tail shapes too.
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-20-2015, 3:49 PM Reply   
Pardon me ,was in transit to the lake for some surfing this weekend.

Stringers, pointed noses and more then 2 fins are a Ocean thing.
In my 7th year manufacturing wake surf boards ,I have not ever used a stringer system.

I vacuum form mould all the boards I make. Same type of methods used by IS, P5, VIC, and some others. I have learned how to control flex and stiffness by the use of aerospace quality cloths in my builds. the normal glass shop would offer you fiberglass plain weave cloth in their builds with thread count from 12 to 24 per inch. My currant boards are made with aerospace weaves that dont include plain weave and thread counts starting at 40 and up to 70 per inch. Thats like looking at cheese cloth to the cloth your Oxford shirt that you wear to work is made like. These cloths are hard to work with and you will never see them being used in a production glass shop.

I have learned how to limit the resin use and offer more cloth to resin , I can use more cloth per build and make a product that will last for years and not just a season. The 4.6 hooligan board with the gray rail paint is an all glass board that came in at 5.1 pounds with Agenda propad traction set.

Cheers , everyone have a great weekend surfing.
Old    Evan Callahan (ercAXISA22)      Join Date: Dec 2014       03-20-2015, 4:42 PM Reply   
Some people are just rude. I haven't visited this thread in a while but I come back to see people still complaining about it. Let the guy go. I bought a board and he was great to deal with. If you like the thread, continue to read. If you don't, just stay away.
Old    Ben Holloway (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-20-2015, 6:55 PM Reply   
I have a little, and I mean little composite practice, Why is it that a lot of shapers, glassers don't utilize pre preg materials or vacuum bag techniques? is seems the saving in materials cost and labor would be worth it (after the initial setup)
Old    Nick Wiersema (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-22-2015, 10:48 AM Reply   
Prepreg materials aren't used for surfboards because they have to be baked. You will melt the foam core. Yes, prepregs are great for building thin composites around a shape, etc, but not really useful for traditional comp-sand surfboard construction.

Vacuum bagging. Vacuum bagging is great for stiff material, and or materials with very uneven/bumpy structures that you need to force down. The resin saved is a myth. A good glasser can get just as good of a resin to fabric ratio, and knows how much resin they need for a board. All vacuum bagged boards are first hand laid up then put in a bag to squeeze the fabric or inlay materials like veneers, etc., down against the core, instead of left on a rack to cure. Obviously many things can go wrong during this process, from warping to significantly changing the rocker, but with practice and a decent jig table it generally works out. Foam core boards would likely be pressure molded if the foam could hold up to the pressure, but it can't.

All the boards I do with specialty inlays like wood veneers are vacuum bagged.

RTM, resin transfer molding, truly allows you to limit the resin amount. This is a lot different than vacuum bagging. Resin is actually pushed under pressure into the mold. High quality fins are made this way, as well as many other components. The cost of building a mold for each board is far to high, and it does not really allow you to customize a board shape.

Gosh more than 2 fins? Wow I guess all the those pro riders are just wrong. Simple facts are there are no real pros riding two fins on a surfboard. Sure, there are some female pros that lack the real leg strength and leverage to work quads or they simply haven't ever tried an improved quad.

Copies..... I think everyone knows the small group who have actually innovated shapes in the wakesurfing world. Everyone is doing nothing but riding coattails now and has been for the past 5 years. There is a small set that developed the proper rockers and volume distributions. There is a small group that actually created this market, and frankly it would be nice if all the newbies would at least recognize that and pay their respects instead of outright copying and or trying to tear other peoples work down. We would all be riding pressure molded wakeboards with big fins if it wasn't for a few people that simply said no, I want a board that rides like a surfboard.

Nick
Old    Ben Holloway (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-22-2015, 11:08 AM Reply   
Ha! totally didn't think about baking the foam, I was hoping you would reply... Thanks Nick!
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-22-2015, 11:23 AM Reply   
Thanks for supplying an intelligent and well written post Nick. The thread has mainly been posts of new boards, people who have never ridden them thrashing them because of the post, and then Mark defending himself of it with a few people who have ridden them, like myself, saying how much they like the boards.

I have ridden a handful of different Soulcrafts and these are definitely not copycats of those. As far as boards he makes in comparison to other manufacturers, he does things a bit different, and some people don't like that, but the thing is. He does it well and riding them really shows that.

I have a the flying saucer and my hooligan is being delivered tomorrow. These are nice boards that perform very well. He has a variety of finishes, so even if the TEK finish isn't sexy enough for everyone, there are other options. I got the TEK finish on my Saucer and got regular glass on my Hooligan. I should be getting out this week to try out my Hooligan and I will, as always, post an honest to goodness review of how it rides in my review thread.
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-23-2015, 10:54 AM Reply   
I do appreciate the knowledge that Nick passes on to us on this forum
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-23-2015, 11:22 AM Reply   
http://lakewakes.com/blog/?p=1200

I like to welcome Milanh Tran to the Lakewakes Europe for the 2015 season.
Milanh contacted me in December 2014 to help her organization out . Milanh will be riding a Lakewakes Flying Saucer wakeskim board in size 48".

Check out the blog link on what Milanh has to say about her Wakeride and girls organization.
Attached Images

Old    Anthonyv911 (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2015, 12:00 PM Reply   
Great post Nick! Well said! Sorry if I offended, I'll refrain from commenting on this thread for now on. Unless someone bashes my board manufacturer, then of course I will defend him, and not try and bash anyone. Cheers, hope everyone gets out wakesurfing soon! Summer is coming!
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-23-2015, 1:15 PM Reply   
Just got my Hooligan in, super stoked to get out on it!
Old    Nick Wiersema (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-23-2015, 1:31 PM Reply   
Hey everyone, please understand, I am not defending Marc or anyone here. In my opinion, I don't think this thread is appropriate, but it is not my forum. In the past Dave would have certainly shut it down or any number of other brands would have complained and brought it to his attention. Many of the knowledgeable people of the past who used to use this forum no longer do so, for various reasons.

Frankly, what if Inland Surfer, Liquid Force, Ronix, CWB, Hyperlight/Byerly, Shred Stixx, Chaos and any other brand with far more media started posting and filling up threads here. Each and everyone of us has enough professional quality media to flood this forum, but we do not out of respect.

What if the boat manufacturers flooded it with media? Sure local dealers tend to post up stuff, and there is a fair amount of trolling going on with dubious posts, but seriously. Build a brand, build the media, the 5-10 extra boards you sell from advertising here in this manner is not worth the backlash.

If you want to advertise you should be paying Dave for banner space. That is not directed at Marc or Lakewakes, but everyone.

Cheers, Nick
Old    A.J. West (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-24-2015, 4:20 AM Reply   
^^^ Exactly, somewhere in these 3 pages I mentioned supporting the website paying for advertising. I'm a fan of all the reputable wakesurf companies: IS, Victoria, P5, Chaos, Shred Stixx, Soulcraft, Doomswell, etc. However, I don't think it would fly if I started a thread for each of these brands and then those brands take it upon themselves to continue the thread 9 months later with board posts every other day. There's a line here somewhere and its selectively being NOT enforced as I've seen here in the past with brands and manufacturers being shut out or posts deleted. Not saying any names but some businesses have ethics and some don't.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2015, 1:07 PM Reply   
opportunistic capitalism at its best.

I am just a guy behind a keyboard who likes to look at wake related websites.

I LOVE this thread and wish there were more of them. i have learned a lot since reading it, mostly about this brand. I wish all the custom board makers had a thread like this so I could see and compare what they are doing in order to make an informed decision when I am ready to purchase.

I would love to see new boats, from all manufacturers as they roll off the factory floor.

I would love a thread with company "X" boards and reviews from members of the forum.

I dislike the bashing that happens, but I am okay with constructive criticism or what have you.

I had never heard of this brand until the thread started. Would i consider purchasing a board from them, sure, but I also wish I could read about and see more boards from other manufacturers with actual users giving their .02

don't like it? don't click it...
Old    A.J. West (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-24-2015, 3:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwhit View Post
opportunistic capitalism at its best.

I am just a guy behind a keyboard who likes to look at wake related websites.

I LOVE this thread and wish there were more of them. i have learned a lot since reading it, mostly about this brand. I wish all the custom board makers had a thread like this so I could see and compare what they are doing in order to make an informed decision when I am ready to purchase.

I would love to see new boats, from all manufacturers as they roll off the factory floor.

I would love a thread with company "X" boards and reviews from members of the forum.

I dislike the bashing that happens, but I am okay with constructive criticism or what have you.

I had never heard of this brand until the thread started. Would i consider purchasing a board from them, sure, but I also wish I could read about and see more boards from other manufacturers with actual users giving their .02

don't like it? don't click it...
I agree, allow them all to show their product
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-24-2015, 7:05 PM Reply   
Just post pics of your favorite boards....(Sorry for posting my pictures right side up)
The majority on WW aren't board companies

Here is a pic of a couple of my favorite boards...for obvious reasons.
Calibrated Piscus, Brigade B52 Fang and a Soulcraft Da Honu. The Center Green board is for sale, but I DON'T want to ship...way to expensive!
Attached Images

Last edited by WakeDirt; 03-24-2015 at 7:07 PM.
Old    Shawndoggy (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-24-2015, 7:32 PM Reply   
If the texas mastercraft new boat photos were considered unacceptable advertising it does seem unreasonable that this thread survives.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-24-2015, 8:36 PM Reply   
^^^And those pics from Craig were pure candy!! I love how they style their interiors at Texas MC.
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2015, 5:07 AM Reply   
http://lakewakes.com/blog/?p=1207

I got this AREA 51 Composites Orion Wakeskim board in size 50 done for Dan Meyers
Attached Images

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2015, 7:42 AM Reply   
I will be laminating this 48" Hybrid wakesurf board today. My first hybrid board was in 2012. Spec on this board is
Lakewakes wakesurf banana rocker
Wakeskim rail
Wakeskim core thickness

Since I vacuum bag my boards I can take advantage of aerospace quality cloths.
Cloth on left is your standard surboard 6 oz. Glass and on right is the glass I will be using for this project.

I will only use a total of 300 grams per side of Greenroom epoxy resin
Attached Images

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2015, 7:43 AM Reply   
Pic of hybrid board
Attached Images

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-02-2015, 5:38 AM Reply   
http://agendasurf.com/shop/wakesurf/...rf-boards.html

Awesome wakesurf brands available at Agenda Surf.
Attached Images

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-03-2015, 9:36 AM Reply   
Assembling a wood veneer Lakewakes Hooligan wakesurf board in Oak .
Using wood that is indigenous to north America.
This board will use special upright fins placed as twinzer.
Attached Images

Old    Bill Amaral (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-03-2015, 1:30 PM Reply   
PM sent on some prices and sizing.
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-04-2015, 6:30 PM Reply   
Lucky Bastards style of distressed finish.
Attached Images

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-06-2015, 7:19 AM Reply   
http://lakewakes.com/blog/?p=1220

Lakewakes wakesurf boards will offer the Distressed finish look on their Hooligan wakesurf boards.. No 2 boards will look the same as will have its own character.
Sample pix are not of Hooligan wakesurf board.
Attached Images

Old    Ricardo (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-09-2015, 3:43 PM Reply   
I love my Lakewakes board,so do all the people I taught to wakesurf on it. Its the only board that makesmy wake surfable.
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-10-2015, 6:24 PM Reply   
Pix of Nick Caranci from WWS in Denver on the 2015 Lakewakes Hooligan wakesurf board in size 4.6.
Talk with Nick about the ride quality on this board at.
(303) 430-0202
nick@waterskispecialty.com

BOAT USED FOR SURF PIX WAS A 2002 Malibu
Attached Images

Last edited by brewkettle; 04-10-2015 at 6:31 PM.
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-12-2015, 12:17 PM Reply   
https://youtu.be/X5yPopBa154

VID of the Lakewakes BEAN Hybrid in action.
weight on this board came in at 4.5 pounds with homemade traction
Old    A.J. West (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-13-2015, 8:35 AM Reply   
I had a 2008 XLV and it's the same hull as the 2006...there's something you guys are doing way wrong to have a wave with that much wash.
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-13-2015, 9:24 AM Reply   
Yes,
I do have a issue right now.
The best wake I ever had was when I replaced the swim platform with 2 x 12 pieces pf wood. The home made platform never touched the water and the wake ended up being thrown deeper to the port side of the boat. Ran this for 3 years then decided to fill in the bottom of my Oem platform and it got better.
Also my friend of 250# was,moving around the boat as he was filming.

I plan to laminate a new platform this week. It will be 5ft wide then taper to 4ft and 2ft long
Old    A.J. West (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-13-2015, 10:17 AM Reply   
I used 1100's in the rear lockers (filled opposite side 250-300lbs), 1200lb sack in that huge center compartment, then a 400 sack in the bow on drivers side, and 400 on the seat behind the driver. Wave was clean and pretty big considering it was an XLV. I just kept the stock platform on. We had no other crew other than myself and my girlfriend and we ride goofy side as well.
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-13-2015, 12:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for the great info AJ
Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-15-2015, 5:59 AM Reply   
Decided against the boring painted rail and laid up some TEK textured cloth for rail protection. Finish work then a red pin with yellow Agenda propad set.
Attached Images

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-15-2015, 9:26 AM Reply   
http://lakewakes.com/blog/?p=1228

A kool custom for Ben Lusk
Attached Images

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-15-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
http://lakewakes.com/blog/?p=1232

Full custom Lakewakes Flying Saucer for Michael Horst
Attached Images

Old    Lakewakes Wakesurf Boards (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       Today, 5:09 PM Reply   
http://lakewakes.com/blog/?p=1243

Happy 420
Attached Images