Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    Ron T (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-19-2014, 9:52 AM Reply   
I just found out today that our company will not be able to dodge the Obamacare mandates. Even though we will not see a significant premium increase, our out-of-pocket expenses were not so lucky. What I find interesting is if anyone enrolls in the silver or bronze plan, that person has to have a payroll deduction made into a savings account so the physician can be paid for the visit. What a farce.
Old    David Williams (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-19-2014, 11:13 AM Reply   
Lost my insurance, but I did get to sign up for a much worse plan and pay twice as much. My wife lost her "girl" doctor of over 20 years and just found out her dermatologist is not available either. In fact, finding a doctor that will take our plan has proven to be extremely difficult. Not happy at all. Dopey people are running this country into the ground.
Old    Jeremy (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-20-2014, 6:40 AM Reply   
So why not find a different plan, David?
Old    Ron T (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-20-2014, 7:41 AM Reply   
Jeremy, the idea is work on reducing the premiums so that can be documented in the newspaper (sounds like a winner to the public) but hike the deductibles and up the copay. The mandate specifically states what the companies must offer. As a result, less policies, which are garbage as compared to what I once had, are offered at even higher prices to most people. IMHO, most would be better off paying the fine and buying supplemental insurance. It's a no win for the majority of people who had good insurance.
Old    Baitkiller (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-20-2014, 2:39 PM Reply   
Paying the fine and buying non compliant full coverage with no deductible or co pay is saving me about 7.000 dollars this year.
Dont buy what they are selling. The whole fine thing is gonna get tossed in a couple years anyway..Its unenforceable for those who never get refunds. Like me.
Old    Dustin Yost (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-20-2014, 4:43 PM Reply   
Bait, it is SAVING you $7000? I can't imagine what you're paying then.

I am so thankful (for now at least) that I have great insurance provided by my employer. Large, privately held business so I'm hoping it holds on, although I know our premiums and copays will continue to go up as they have for the last couple years.

Right now my monthly premium is $230/mo (for a family of 4), we have $45 copays for visits and $350 for outpatient procedures and surgeries. $800 deductibles

There is a line (I think it's 12D) on your W2 that your employer can use to show how much they spend on premiums for your insurance. In my case it is over $11,000 per year. So with my portion of the premium it's over $13k. I could not imagine having to shoulder that without employer assistance.
Old    Josh (WuTang)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-20-2014, 5:43 PM Reply   
I am (or was) a seasonal employee for the local government here, seasonals don't get insurance which is fine, I knew what I was getting myself into. Well with the mandate instead of giving seasonals insurance they just lay us off once we hit 1500 hours (I worked year round). The marketplace insurance is more than I was paying privately before even with the subsidy, with a much higher deductible, and I'm making less money since I only work 3/4 of what I used to. I bet a bunch of people are in the same boat as me. I know a lot of stupid people I worked with thought they were gonna get insurance from the job only to get their hours cut.
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       Yesterday, 10:08 AM Reply   
My work was able to keep their coverage. I can still go anywhere I want, however, our covered amount dropped from 90% to 80% in network. Our premiums also jumped about 20% and our copays/deductibles went up about 25%.
Ya, "keep your plan" but your plan is going to change since your employer has to offer other plans now and has to lose money at that, so they don't pay the same part of the regular plans as they used to, so now everything gets more expensive and for less coverage.
THANKS OBAMA!
Old    Ron T (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       Today, 3:48 PM Reply   
This article is pretty objective about who Obamacare hurts and help. I know life is not fair and I'm happy for people who now pay 17 cents for insurance, but for the rest of us. . . . http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-ob...152124812.html