Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Taylor M (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-07-2014, 8:16 AM Reply   
What a bunch of crap. This can not be good for our sport!




MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour to Focus Exclusively on Men’s Pro Division in 2014

Orlando, FL. — The MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour, the largest and most storied professional wakeboarding circuit in the world, has redesigned its format for the 2014 season and will feature only the Pro Men’s division at all four events. With an exclusive focus on the sport’s premier division, along with a restructured contest heat advancement system and athlete qualifying standards, the MasterCraft Pro Tour has laid the groundwork to produce the most competitive and entertaining wakeboard events on the planet.

Additionally, athlete eligibility for the MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour has been adjusted to ensure a dynamic and competitive field of riders at each event. The 2014 Tour will feature a collection of the world’s top ranked Pro Men wakeboarders, intriguing wildcards entries and several up-and-coming athletes from the Junior Pro Series going head-to-head at four of the country’s most proven contest venues.

“During the offseason we met with some of the most respected minds and most talented athletes in wakeboarding to develop a strategy that ensures world-class competition and progression are paramount on the MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour,” said Chris Bischoff, Pro Tour competition director. “The format changes achieve these objectives and will also bring exciting new storylines from contest to contest.”

Contest structure on the Pro Tour will remain a heat-to-heat qualifying system with riders seeding determined by their ranking. However, new rules will reward riders who win heats one and three allowing them to bypass the next round. Riders who do not win in heats one and three will not be automatically eliminated. They will be placed in rounds two and four and have a second chance to advance in those heats.

Last year’s wakeboard world champion, Rusty Malinoski has been vocal in support of the new Pro Tour format. The “Bone Crusher” recently stated, “Wakeboarding has seen a ton of progression over the past few years. I think the new format tweaks will help our sport showcase the best riders at the biggest contests and give the fans the most bang for their buck.”

The 2014 MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour presented by Rockstar Schedule:

Location Venue Dates

Acworth, GA. Dallas Landing/Lake Allatoona May 17

Lathrop, CA. Mossdale Quarry Lakes June 28

Monroe, WA. Lake Tye July 12

Grand Rapids, MI Millennium Park Aug. 16

For more information on the MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour presented by Rockstar visit KingofWake.com.
The MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour presented by RockStar is organized by World Sports & Marketing of Orlando, Fla., and has the support of the following sponsors: MasterCraft, Rockstar Energy Drink, WWA, Indmar, Ronix, Billabong, Zeal Optics, CWB, Hyperlite, Liquid Force, Byerly, Peavey, Sayiwon’t, Epiphone and WAKEBOARDING magazine.
About MasterCraft
MasterCraft is the exclusive towboat for the Pro Wakeboard Tour, as it has been since the tour’s wakeboarding events began in 1992. For more information visit: www.MasterCraft.com
About Rockstar:

Rockstar Energy Drink is designed for those who lead active lifestyles – from Athletes to Rockstars. Available in over 20 flavors at convenience and grocery outlets in over 30 countries, Rockstar supports the Rockstar lifestyle across the globe through Action Sports, Motor Sports, and Live Music. For more information visit: www.RockstarEnergy.com
Find us at:
www.Facebook.com/Rockstar ~ www.Twitter.com/RockstarEnergy ~ www.Instagram.com/RockstarEnergy ~ www.YouTube.com/Rockstar

--
Bo Morris
PR Director, Bonnier Corporation
O: (407) 571-4587
M: (407) 808-3310
E: bo.morris@bonniercorp.com
Old    Dave (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-07-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
I think it's a shame that the women are being past over. I get it, I don't really watch women's slope style or halfpipe but I still think they deserve their spot light. The reason I personally don't watch the women is once you see the men go everything else just seems well, a bit boring.
Old    Drew Tinker (Supravol22)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-07-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
They're really hurting the sport by doing this. Just awful, IMO
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-07-2014, 9:16 AM Reply   
That is crap. My daughter likes to wakeboard because of watching the women at the Wake Games. Total BS on mastercraps part.
Old    Joey Delk (JOEYDELK)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-07-2014, 10:27 AM Reply   
Thanks Crapcraft!
Old    Ryan (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-07-2014, 11:33 AM Reply   
This is crap! I love how they add a quote from their OWN main team rider supporting this change

Sounds to me like a BOYCOTT should be in the works!

Last edited by ryanw209; 02-07-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old    Miguel (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-07-2014, 11:37 AM Reply   
They should still be in the Nautique Wake games, Nautique Nationals, Nautique Masters & Supra Worlds correct???
Old    Dave O (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       02-07-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
Miguel that should be correct, wake games is king of wake so I don't think the same change applies to those venues
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-07-2014, 11:58 AM Reply   
I'm sure it's about the financial aspect of it - if the money isn't there then it isn't there. However that said it's disappointing for sure and short sighted IMO
Old    Brian Wynn (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-07-2014, 12:07 PM Reply   
Oh that's just GENIUS! so then what're the women and juniors supposed to do to get their rankings and points to determine where they fall for the season? I get that they wanna spolight the premier division and all. but that basically shuts out the other divisions giving them nothing to work for like Queen of Wake. They need to have seperate riding venues I guess to take up the slack to allow for the up and commers to make their mark for sponsorship and things like that. but I'm guessin' that this format is gonna cut out a LOT of attendance at the Protour venues since many come for the other divisions as well. Oh Well guess they'll find that out when the cash flow from attendance starts dwindling. NICE work MasterCraft.

Last edited by quik876; 02-07-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old    Bill Montanye (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-07-2014, 12:23 PM Reply   
Seriously I'm not hating but after watching woman's slopestyle they are doing 180s 360s and 540s, really? their hits on the obstacles were amateurish at best.This is the Olympics , I'm a little surprised and disapointed..I know they aren't the guys but imo that's weak to bring to the world stage..

so back to the point, and let the flaming begin,

I love that woman/girls get to ride on the tour and have a career in wakeboarding. However there's no comparison to the men/jr men riders they are what makes our sport look good with huge progressive tricks, the girls are not the draw and in the same case as the snowboarders there's just no comparison , the woman can be boring and slow to watch especially for those NOT in the know of our sport. I see guys who ride on the amateur events pulling better tricks than a lot of the woman wakeboarders..

So I hope they keep the woman but I realize this is a business decision and see why they would want to expand the mens exposure and lessen the womans..

is it cool or fair , no, but theres good reason..

someone needs to fund a queen of wake tour in the future, so they aren't being compared to the men side by side..

insert the hate replies here LOL
Old    David Di Donato (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-07-2014, 12:30 PM Reply   
I saw on Nicola Butler's Insta she replied to a comment about her eco friendly car and that her xstar makes up for it - she replied with "no more mastercraft" i wonder if MC is dropping there woman athletes?
Old    Tom (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-07-2014, 1:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
Seriously I'm not hating but after watching woman's slopestyle they are doing 180s 360s and 540s, really? their hits on the obstacles were amateurish at best.This is the Olympics , I'm a little surprised and disapointed..I know they aren't the guys but imo that's weak to bring to the world stage..



so back to the point, and let the flaming begin,



I love that woman/girls get to ride on the tour and have a career in wakeboarding. However there's no comparison to the men/jr men riders they are what makes our sport look good with huge progressive tricks, the girls are not the draw and in the same case as the snowboarders there's just no comparison , the woman can be boring and slow to watch especially for those NOT in the know of our sport. I see guys who ride on the amateur events pulling better tricks than a lot of the woman wakeboarders..



So I hope they keep the woman but I realize this is a business decision and see why they would want to expand the mens exposure and lessen the womans..



is it cool or fair , no, but theres good reason..



someone needs to fund a queen of wake tour in the future, so they aren't being compared to the men side by side..



insert the hate replies here LOL

There are lots of sports that are "not exciting" to watch. That doesn't mean they don't deserve to compete.
Old    Ben Ax (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-07-2014, 2:45 PM Reply   
Wowza… that's serious downer… :-/

Follow the money….
Old    Drew Richardson (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-07-2014, 2:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supravol22 View Post
They're really hurting the sport by doing this. Just awful, IMO
not only going "pro only" and adding a few Jr. pros, but if I am reading this right there are only 4 events / stops ? very limited in more than one aspect IMO, oh the good ole days…..gone!
Old    Drew Tinker (Supravol22)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-07-2014, 3:50 PM Reply   
Nicola parted ways with Mastercraft a few months ago. Pretty obvious as to why now...
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-07-2014, 4:14 PM Reply   
bill does have a point. i guess the plus side of this would be more pressure on other events. maybe more people would go to see them if they only compete a few times a year, or it could hurt the sport because of less promoting and coverage since there are less tour stops.

by the way who is on the mastercraft team? there website doesnt tell.this is who i have so far...
rusty
powers
palma
clifford
shota? i don't think he has a boat but he's in videos
parks
zane
steel
Old    Tom McCauley (TomMcCauley)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-07-2014, 4:27 PM Reply   
Yes only 4 stops...although I've heard rumors of another Pro / Am event that might be scheduled.....would be nice. For the record, I think 2 or 3 of the Top 4 Jr's that would be invited were going Pro anyway, so I'm guessing this means they are really only taking 1 - 2 Jr's, unless they pick some for the wildcards.
Old    Jen Abejean (Abejean)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-07-2014, 4:45 PM Reply   
Absolutely crushed, I was so stoked for this PWT season. Ronix signing the dream team of Dallas and Amber Wing was going to add a different spin on the comps. It was going to be a great season for the FANS. Melissa and Nicola have a spotlight in the new Al Sur wake movie, not to mention Amber Wing's Oakley movie SETS IN MOTION came out spotlighting the real progression of Women in Wake! CRAZY that PWT can't tap into that vibe!! PWT is going to MISS the BOAT on the young guns stomping like new Liquid Force rider Bec Gange. Angelika Schrieber and Sophie Hogben have been killing it on cable watch any of there clips and there is no qustion on the direction of the girls of Wake! If Mastercraft's new PWT format had any HONOR or INTEGRITY it would have a platform for OUR ProWomen. The sad thing is PWT says new change is all in the name of 'progression"? Wow, Mastercraft way to throw us FANS under the bus...
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-07-2014, 5:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam6961 View Post
bill does have a point. i guess the plus side of this would be more pressure on other events. maybe more people would go to see them if they only compete a few times a year, or it could hurt the sport because of less promoting and coverage since there are less tour stops.

by the way who is on the mastercraft team? there website doesnt tell.this is who i have so far...
rusty
powers
palma
clifford
shota? i don't think he has a boat but he's in videos
parks
zane
steel
Andrew Adkison was a Mastercraft team rider too.
Old    Taylor M (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-07-2014, 5:23 PM Reply   
So the latest I was told was EVERYONE needs to send emails to Chris Bischoff and Priscilla Scollin about how this is not a good idea so they can forward them to the appropriate people.
Old    Drew Tinker (Supravol22)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-07-2014, 5:36 PM Reply   
Post their email addresses
Old    MCXSTAR (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-07-2014, 5:54 PM Reply   
Tony Iacconi rides for MC
Good thing for King of Wake and Nautique otherwise there would be no events to support our favorite Jr. and Woman wakeboarder
Old    Jen Abejean (Abejean)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-07-2014, 6:00 PM Reply   
Yes, now that some have reacted we NEED to be ProActive. found the contact info for Chris Bischoff and Priscilla Scollin. http://www.bonniercorp.com/brands/Wo...Marketing.html Would be great to show some love to the Pro Women by lighting up Chris and Priscilla's email.
Old    Taylor M (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-07-2014, 7:04 PM Reply   
Chris.Bischoff@bonniercorp.com
Old    Tom McCauley (TomMcCauley)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-07-2014, 7:50 PM Reply   
And Priscilla is Priscilla.Scollin@bonniercorp.com
Old    Drew Tinker (Supravol22)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-07-2014, 8:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
Tony Iacconi rides for MC
Good thing for King of Wake and Nautique otherwise there would be no events to support our favorite Jr. and Woman wakeboarder

And Supra with the World Championships
Old    Nickbot (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2014, 5:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
There are lots of sports that are "not exciting" to watch. That doesn't mean they don't deserve to compete.
by what right do they "deserve" to compete in the olympics?? the olympics is a business just like the PWT.
If the women want to compete and the olympics or PWT doesn't think it's worth it (i.e. they won't make any money from it), let the women start their own tour...they'll quickly find out why the PWT cut them.
Old    Drew Tinker (Supravol22)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-08-2014, 6:28 AM Reply   
What is being overlooked here by a lot of people is the fact that the JR Pros are also being cut from the Tour. How did Harley get noticed? Jr Pro Tour. How did the majority of the current pros get noticed? Jr Pro Tour. MC has taken that avenue away for upcoming riders to get seen and noticed and that is definitely going to hurt the sport. Not that MC really cares, since they don't sponsor any Jr Pros.

Last edited by Supravol22; 02-08-2014 at 6:32 AM.
Old    Scott McCullough (Scott1234)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-08-2014, 6:49 AM Reply   
MasterCraft,
Here's a great money saving idea, cut the current gen Xstar not the riders that show up and support the Tour and your boat.
Old    MCXSTAR (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-08-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
its rumored next year MC will be out of the Wakeboard industry all together and will favor the Wakesurf crowd, placating on what every toddler to grandparent can do
Old    G Q (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-08-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
The boat aspect of wakeboarding is slowly dying. It will always be fun, but that dream of loading up your ski boat with the extended pylon, learning a few mobes and trying to make it career are over. If the $150K price tag of a tournament edition boat and $1/minute gas consumption don't scare you off, just think that teenagers are landing 1080s and double flips wake to wake. And some of these dudes are not even well known. Groms can't dream of going to the X-Games and now they can't even try their luck in Jr Men's on the PWT to help them decide whether to go to college or break even by placing top 5 against the best in the world.

Obviously cutting from 5 stops to 4 stops is about saving money, but maybe cutting Jr men's is good foresight that not as many groms will pursue wakeboarding behind the boat as a career. Even Dowdy is already thinking he might go broke after double flips, and its his first year as a pro!

Cable is a different story. Its getting more accessible instead of less accessible. Yes, teenagers are sticking 1080s and double flips but those tricks are easier off kickers than wake to wake. Probably less painful too. Since riding cable is not as big of a financial investment, its easier to walk away if you feel like becoming pro isn't working out rather than stressing over all the gas your parents bought and how much your boat has depreciated when you sell it for way less than you bought it. About half of boat riders have a knee brace on their front knee, but you don't see this in cable. Nick Davies blew his knee...behind a boat...so I would even say cable is healthier than boat. And do pro wakeskaters even ride boat in competiton anymore? And if they do, is anyone squinting on shore to make out what tricks are being thrown?

All I'm saying is boat wakeboarding is like Icarus who flew too high and crashed. It was inevitable that boat wakes would get bigger and bigger until that aspect of the sport got too expensive to sustain a Pro Tour. I heard attendance last year was really low. Not too long ago it was five events, two days each (plus Friday qualifiers) and three divisions. Now its four events, each one day and one division. Don't be surprised if the PWT shrinks even more in years to come.
Old    Chris Butler (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-08-2014, 11:31 AM Reply   
Was stunned when MC dropped Nicola. Now I know why. Plus I heard they signed a wake surfer??? Looks like WB'ing is dying. Maybe they should just drop the tour altogether? Thing is how do you then earn money as a pro. Cannot believe that they've dropped Junior men as well. So what happens when the current crop of pro's are done?? Well, there's the Junior Men.... Who are they everyone will ask???
Old    Ben Ax (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2014, 2:00 PM Reply   
So… JUST throwing this out there… this may just open the door for more Pro-Am tournaments featuring those other divisions. I understand that the MC Pro Tour has been a staple for years, but just because one company decides they're changing directions doesn't mean the entire industry is dying. Not to mention, they likely staked a BUNCH of money in their new boats, i.e. X-STAR, and other boats, i.e. G23..etc…, have really taken a LOT of market share.

I hope like everyone else that there are still great things coming. Wakeboarding continues to grow overall in popularity and I hope it's best days are yet t come, on boat and cable.
Old    Ahren Benziger (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-08-2014, 3:03 PM Reply   
This is seriously has bummed me out so much. I cant believe this has happened. so sad to see... I wonder what jr pros are going to be invited to ride in pro men...
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...standings.html
Old    Bill Montanye (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2014, 4:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supravol22 View Post
What is being overlooked here by a lot of people is the fact that the JR Pros are also being cut from the Tour. How did Harley get noticed? Jr Pro Tour. How did the majority of the current pros get noticed? Jr Pro Tour. MC has taken that avenue away for upcoming riders to get seen and noticed and that is definitely going to hurt the sport. Not that MC really cares, since they don't sponsor any Jr Pros.
well i have watched the junior tour and those guys are awesome and i believe some are better than some of the top pros and if the format for say qualifying for the pro tour finals were expanded and left open some big names on the tour would get beat out by the young guns..so maybe its the format that needs changing and there should be more qualifying to more riders and heck if the woman thought they were good enough compete against the men.. i know it sounds crazy but this isnt a head to head strength sport where men are pitching to woman or tackling woman or anything of that sort..this is a sport where the wake and speed are equal for all and if you have the will and some skill you could beat a guy if you were a woman with serious skills and really wanted it..

just saying..
Old    Bill Montanye (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2014, 4:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
The boat aspect of wakeboarding is slowly dying. It will always be fun, but that dream of loading up your ski boat with the extended pylon, learning a few mobes and trying to make it career are over. If the $150K price tag of a tournament edition boat and $1/minute gas consumption don't scare you off, just think that teenagers are landing 1080s and double flips wake to wake. And some of these dudes are not even well known. Groms can't dream of going to the X-Games and now they can't even try their luck in Jr Men's on the PWT to help them decide whether to go to college or break even by placing top 5 against the best in the world.

Obviously cutting from 5 stops to 4 stops is about saving money, but maybe cutting Jr men's is good foresight that not as many groms will pursue wakeboarding behind the boat as a career. Even Dowdy is already thinking he might go broke after double flips, and its his first year as a pro!

Cable is a different story. Its getting more accessible instead of less accessible. Yes, teenagers are sticking 1080s and double flips but those tricks are easier off kickers than wake to wake. Probably less painful too. Since riding cable is not as big of a financial investment, its easier to walk away if you feel like becoming pro isn't working out rather than stressing over all the gas your parents bought and how much your boat has depreciated when you sell it for way less than you bought it. About half of boat riders have a knee brace on their front knee, but you don't see this in cable. Nick Davies blew his knee...behind a boat...so I would even say cable is healthier than boat. And do pro wakeskaters even ride boat in competiton anymore? And if they do, is anyone squinting on shore to make out what tricks are being thrown?

All I'm saying is boat wakeboarding is like Icarus who flew too high and crashed. It was inevitable that boat wakes would get bigger and bigger until that aspect of the sport got too expensive to sustain a Pro Tour. I heard attendance last year was really low. Not too long ago it was five events, two days each (plus Friday qualifiers) and three divisions. Now its four events, each one day and one division. Don't be surprised if the PWT shrinks even more in years to come.
definitely shifting but i wouldnt say dyeing , yes the cable is breeding a whole new wakeboard scene and it includes kids, boys, girls, woman an men..ive seen girls and kids killing it on the cable and tthe cable is a more viable way to reach the masses.. it also opens the door up for the Xgames, gravity games, and yes the olympics to bring cableboarding for wakeboarders back on board..

however i still love the boat its harder and less forgiving so more of a challenge pus IMO more fun.. ive come aboard on the cable but wont quit the wake anytime soon..i like both and glad i have choices..
Old    Bill Montanye (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2014, 4:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abejean View Post
Absolutely crushed, I was so stoked for this PWT season. Ronix signing the dream team of Dallas and Amber Wing was going to add a different spin on the comps. It was going to be a great season for the FANS. Melissa and Nicola have a spotlight in the new Al Sur wake movie, not to mention Amber Wing's Oakley movie SETS IN MOTION came out spotlighting the real progression of Women in Wake! CRAZY that PWT can't tap into that vibe!! PWT is going to MISS the BOAT on the young guns stomping like new Liquid Force rider Bec Gange. Angelika Schrieber and Sophie Hogben have been killing it on cable watch any of there clips and there is no qustion on the direction of the girls of Wake! If Mastercraft's new PWT format had any HONOR or INTEGRITY it would have a platform for OUR ProWomen. The sad thing is PWT says new change is all in the name of 'progression"? Wow, Mastercraft way to throw us FANS under the bus...
well the videos are still a way to get noticed just because the tour is dropping womans sport , the board and gear sponsors are still on board , pun intended. they need to make more videos and both men and woman and show all their talent both behind the boat and on the cable etc and if marketed well the young sons and daughters can still get stoked on our sport.. things are shifting and will be different but change is imminent..

the Internet with streaming video and social media marketing can easily sustain the sport IMO along with the old way on dvd options etc.

look at music it hasn't died but the way it distributed and discovered as well as who gets exposed has changed a lot..
Old    Charlie Zulu (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-09-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
When did MC drop him?... As of Oct 5, 2013 Adkinson is still sponsored by MC.. But in a young man's sport, the touch will get passed on..
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-09-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
Not a fan of this decision at all.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-09-2014, 3:31 PM Reply   
That's interesting, I literally saw Andrew 2 days ago at the boat show working the MC booth being as friendly as always. He was very nice to my son last year and have a him a DVD and an autograph. Very cool guy.
Old    David Williams (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-09-2014, 8:07 PM Reply   
There will still be 8 stops on the King of Wake because they are adding the Tige event. I wonder if women will be allowed to compete in the Pro Men division.
Old    Jen Abejean (Abejean)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-09-2014, 8:29 PM Reply   
Hey Mastercraft and PWT name the ONLY WAKEBOARDER that has an ESPY sitting on their shelf. I'll give you all a hint...ITS NOT A BOY. PRO Womens Rider DALLAS FRIDAY has been the only wakeboarder to bring our sport the ESPY stage.
Old    Bill Montanye (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-10-2014, 7:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
There will still be 8 stops on the King of Wake because they are adding the Tige event. I wonder if women will be allowed to compete in the Pro Men division.
I think they should but they will have to step it up to actually have a chance to compete but definitely they should be given the chance since their stops have been cut..
Old    Justin Harrelson (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-10-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
This isn't the first time something like this happened. Women water-skiers and wake boarders banded together and formed the WOW league (Women of waterspouts). I know they had to do some strange events, but they earned their spots back on the major tours.

Please correct me if I am wrong. It is a vague old memory.
Old    Andy Nintzel (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-10-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
The boat aspect of wakeboarding is slowly dying. It will always be fun, but that dream of loading up your ski boat with the extended pylon, learning a few mobes and trying to make it career are over. If the $150K price tag of a tournament edition boat and $1/minute gas consumption don't scare you off, just think that teenagers are landing 1080s and double flips wake to wake. And some of these dudes are not even well known. Groms can't dream of going to the X-Games and now they can't even try their luck in Jr Men's on the PWT to help them decide whether to go to college or break even by placing top 5 against the best in the world.
Cisco is really on to something here. I hate to say this, because I love Mastercraft and I love my X-Star, I thank the heavens everyday that I am fortunate enough to own one.

That said, it's the boat companies themselves that are wrecking this sport. Wakeboards and bindings are still fairly affordable, much like a snowboard set up. But at $150,000 Plus for a new Competition style worthy Boat, the boat companies themselves are alienating 99% of General Public. In fact at the Minneapolis Boat show they had a $172,827 G25. If you go to the Nautique website all the G Series start north of $109,000, you cant even buy a ski boat from Nautique for under $67,000. Matercraft is exactly the same gig. I know that Mastercraft is releasing the NXT boats, they apparently will be $50K all day, but the one they had on display at the MPLS boat show didn't have a steering wheel so I guess that's extra (kidding). AND it's only 20 Feet long, Much like the affordable Axis, Sorry but in my opinion there is not such thing as a 20 foot Competition quality wakeboat.

Don't get me wrong I love the new boats, but as they say in football, "C'mon MAN." Can somebody find some just make the Honda Accord or Toyota Camery of Wakeboard boats. If we want this sport to grow they need to stop making boats only the most affluent people can buy, we truly need a middle class boat. An everybodies boat. A boat that can deliver a quality pro-class competition style wake without the $100K plus price tag. If this sport is going to grow and get back into the X-games they need to find a way to make a truly affordable wakeboard boat. Not a boat that only the upper class can afford. Until then I think we will see more cuts and more companies moving out to of the wakeboard industry. Very Sad state of affairs.
Old    Bill Montanye (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-10-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
Cisco is really on to something here. I hate to say this, because I love Mastercraft and I love my X-Star, I thank the heavens everyday that I am fortunate enough to own one.

That said, it's the boat companies themselves that are wrecking this sport. Wakeboards and bindings are still fairly affordable, much like a snowboard set up. But at $150,000 Plus for a new Competition style worthy Boat, the boat companies themselves are alienating 99% of General Public. In fact at the Minneapolis Boat show they had a $172,827 G25. If you go to the Nautique website all the G Series start north of $109,000, you cant even buy a ski boat from Nautique for under $67,000. Matercraft is exactly the same gig. I know that Mastercraft is releasing the NXT boats, they apparently will be $50K all day, but the one they had on display at the MPLS boat show didn't have a steering wheel so I guess that's extra (kidding). AND it's only 20 Feet long, Much like the affordable Axis, Sorry but in my opinion there is not such thing as a 20 foot Competition quality wakeboat.

Don't get me wrong I love the new boats, but as they say in football, "C'mon MAN." Can somebody find some just make the Honda Accord or Toyota Camery of Wakeboard boats. If we want this sport to grow they need to stop making boats only the most affluent people can buy, we truly need a middle class boat. An everybodies boat. A boat that can deliver a quality pro-class competition style wake without the $100K plus price tag. If this sport is going to grow and get back into the X-games they need to find a way to make a truly affordable wakeboard boat. Not a boat that only the upper class can afford. Until then I think we will see more cuts and more companies moving out to of the wakeboard industry. Very Sad state of affairs.
true Dat

I actually liked the Epic 23 ft boat and it was a great wake at a reasonable price but for some reason it didn't stick..they and the right mentality but marketing or QC or something had this sitting still for now..

IM sick of seeing more and more stainless and aluminum BLING and more expensive rims and for sure the 5k stereo systems.. add to that I believe we can do without the hi tech digital lcd dashes in our wake boats..

that's why I liked the epic the few times I rode behind it huge wake with 0-4k adjustable ballast, adjustable wake plates, and all the basics in a big deep hull

I wish they could make a comeback and work out the flaws...

Last edited by bill; 02-10-2014 at 8:56 AM.
Old    RileyBangerter (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-10-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
The whole tour is boring, hopefully it wont be long before the whole things goes away!
Old    Luke Power (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-10-2014, 2:44 PM Reply   
In total agreement with the need for less costly boats. However I think used boats are a good way around the problem. Used boats don't rust out like a used car does. What I am wondering is if the money is not in the girls division, why not open up the men's division to girls? As a (used) mastercraft owner this makes me sad.
Old    David Williams (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-10-2014, 3:06 PM Reply   
I hope they don't call it Pro Men. I hope they just call it the Pro Division so that the women can at least try to earn one of the 32 spots.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-10-2014, 3:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
I hope they don't call it Pro Men. I hope they just call it the Pro Division so that the women can at least try to earn one of the 32 spots.
Even if that were the case, I doubt very much we'd see a woman in the top 32
Old    John K (JDK13)      Join Date: Aug 2013       02-10-2014, 4:25 PM Reply   
This is horrible.
Old    John Page (JohnP)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-11-2014, 7:15 AM Reply   
petition is up ! Sign away!
http://www.change.org/en-AU/petition...share_petition
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-11-2014, 9:17 AM Reply   
update from nicola
Attached Images
 
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-11-2014, 9:34 AM Reply   
I honestly can't see how having a separate tour just for woman would be better. Combined seems like the right solution, just because of the ease of planning events.
Old    Ian Brown (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-11-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
I don't think you can fault high boat prices for any of this personally. The market is saying that there is a place for these high priced wake machines. There are tons of used boats on the market and I know we've all seen the vids of Byerly killing it behind that outboard back in the day.
Old    Dave Diaz (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-11-2014, 6:22 PM Reply   
How much more can it really cost to have the females compete? The venue is rented, the stage it set, let them ride. maybe pay judges a few more hours, or some more gas to pull the event? Just absurd.

And no, Pro women do not throw down as big as the PRO men. But to say it is boring is far from the truth. I would venture to say the Pro Women throw down better than 95% of us here (ego check). Every person on here has been on the water, and passed a boat pulling a little grom (boy or girl) and although they were struggling to stay up, they had the biggest smile on their face. We all give props to those groms because that is what grows the sport. Those future shredders need people to look up to as well. At one point, even if only for one day, that was all of us.

If money is an issue, charge for the event. And put the events in markets that are willing to pay and draw the crowds. Something that does not require huge areas. Put an event back in SoCal, marine stadium was perfect for Xgames. Draws crowds, people here will pay for it. Xgames at the stadium in 03

Old    MCXSTAR (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-11-2014, 7:03 PM Reply   
I would have to entirely agree with what Dave Diaz said
Old    Scott McCullough (Scott1234)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-12-2014, 1:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
How much more can it really cost to have the females compete? The venue is rented, the stage it set, let them ride. maybe pay judges a few more hours, or some more gas to pull the event? Just absurd.

And no, Pro women do not throw down as big as the PRO men. But to say it is boring is far from the truth. I would venture to say the Pro Women throw down better than 95% of us here (ego check). Every person on here has been on the water, and passed a boat pulling a little grom (boy or girl) and although they were struggling to stay up, they had the biggest smile on their face. We all give props to those groms because that is what grows the sport. Those future shredders need people to look up to as well. At one point, even if only for one day, that was all of us.

If money is an issue, charge for the event. And put the events in markets that are willing to pay and draw the crowds. Something that does not require huge areas. Put an event back in SoCal, marine stadium was perfect for Xgames. Draws crowds, people here will pay for it. Xgames at the stadium in 03



Thanks Dave that's what I've been asking. Mastercraft has only posted one measly response to this which, well, is kind of silly. Anyway some good reads on this link. Thanks for everyone that's showing support for the women & jrs. Please make a conscious effort to support brands that support the women too.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...1751&source=46
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-12-2014, 3:48 AM Reply   
As a husband and a father with a wife and daughter who love to ride I am thnakful I dont own a mastercrap because I would be selling it based off of this. It is total bs. If they wanted to phase it out then annoucne a last season for the women/girls/jr's or something along those lines. Don't drop this bomb a couple of months out from the season. If it is money they must be hurting because as a previous poster said it can't cost that much to have the women participate.
Old    Scott McCullough (Scott1234)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-12-2014, 5:19 AM Reply   
What a bunch of chicken s&@$ MasterCraft deleted their post after 60 plus comments instead of replying.
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-12-2014, 5:30 AM Reply   
Yep total crap for sure. Seems terribly greedy by what I already feel is a terribly greedy company.
I took both my girls 15,9 at the time to the Worlds last August in Milwaukee and my girls loved seeing the women compete! They actually cheered and payed way more attention to them than that did the pros! They asked me several questions about who was who and where this girl was from and how old type stuff but not once did they ask about the pro men! Not even when Rusty rode. Sure they ewed and awed and some of the tricks the men threw down but my girls were engaged when the females were riding and to be honest so was I. Poor decision MC.... I won't be taking my family to any events without women.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old    Jeremy (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-12-2014, 5:38 AM Reply   
MC made a business decision. Obviously, they were losing money on the events so I think they are just trying to get closer to a break-even point.. If there was any money to be made with the women and junior events, a company would have already swooped in and continued the events.

My prediction is there will be no more PWT in the next couple of years. I have seen this day coming since the X-Games discontinued wakeboarding.
Old    Dave Diaz (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-12-2014, 6:38 AM Reply   
The XGames decision was a little more complicated than just money. It's a hard venue to keep close to all events. When everything is compacted into downtown LA it's no small ride to get from the stadium in LB. But as you saw from the pictures above, it drew a crowd. It was a free event. Charge an admission to recoup some of the costs.

I have a feeling MC will end up "finding" sponsors for this. Cannot be good for their public image. Glad I just order my 3rd Malibu


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old    Jeremy (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-12-2014, 8:42 AM Reply   
Dave, I have been to PWT events (Acworth and Knoxville) on several occasions. Attendance was always small until you got towards the finals Pro Men event. Another thing about traditional wakeboarding (behind the boat) is it's not a very friendly live-TV event. That's why there is practically little to no wakeboarding on TV. I understand you logistics argument, but that would probably be towards the bottom of issues. Look at the Olympics. The mountain sports are 35 miles from Olympic village in Sochi. In 1996 (the Atlanta games), they held the Whitewater events in Ocoee, TN, which is a few hours from Atlanta.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-12-2014, 9:31 AM Reply   
they already charge an admission too.
Old    Dave Diaz (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-12-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
I don't know about the culture on that side of the country, but over here, you put almost any event at the stadium and it is packed, all day. There are two sides, so the event can be viewed from both sides as opposed to the traditional one sided viewing.

This really is an easy fix. As stated before, the venue is already rented, how much additional cost can it be for them to compete? Are there entry fees for the riders? So they are paying to ride anyway. As far as public opinion would be concerned, this is just lame.

And the worst part, the absolute worst part, is Instead of MC saying this is due to budgetary cut backs, (which people may not like, but they would understand or be more empathetic), they claim "it's for the progression of the sport". Really? So women cannot progress the sport? They are not worthy? Really douchebaggery on their part


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old    Eric Scott (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-12-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
I don't necessarily agree with Mastercraft's decision to eliminate women and juniors, but I think it's a little ironic that people are talking of boycotting the manufacturer that actually sponsors a professional wakeboarding tour. One of the problems with generating interest in (and money from) professional wakeboarding contests is that the organizational structure is too confusing. There's Mastercraft's Pro Wakeboard Tour (PWT), which crowns the "King of Wake." Included in the PWT are Nautique's WWA National Championships, which crowns the "National Champion," and Supra's WWA World Championships, which crowns the "World Champion." Also, totally separate from the PWT, there's the IWWF's World Championships, which crowns another "World Champion." So, at the end of the year we have a King of Wake, a National Champion, a World Champion, and then another World Champion. People like simplicity, and this is not simple. If the industry wants professional wakeboarding contests to be taken seriously by the general public, they should start by streamlining the entire contest scene and crowning one national/world champion at the end of the year like every other professional sport in America.
Old    Tom (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-12-2014, 10:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywakeboarder View Post
I don't necessarily agree with Mastercraft's decision to eliminate women and juniors, but I think it's a little ironic that people are talking of boycotting the manufacturer that actually sponsors a professional wakeboarding tour. One of the problems with generating interest in (and money from) professional wakeboarding contests is that the organizational structure is too confusing. There's Mastercraft's Pro Wakeboard Tour (PWT), which crowns the "King of Wake." Included in the PWT are Nautique's WWA National Championships, which crowns the "National Champion," and Supra's WWA World Championships, which crowns the "World Champion." Also, totally separate from the PWT, there's the IWWF's World Championships, which crowns another "World Champion." So, at the end of the year we have a King of Wake, a National Champion, a World Champion, and then another World Champion. People like simplicity, and this is not simple. If the industry wants professional wakeboarding contests to be taken seriously by the general public, they should start by streamlining the entire contest scene and crowning one national/world champion at the end of the year like every other professional sport in America.
I couldn't agree more. The sport isn't big enough for multiple tours. They, the industry, need to consolidate it all.
Old     (ToddWake)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-12-2014, 1:25 PM Reply   
MC has a storied history of making decisions that though not popular at the time get vindicated by history.

These are the facts and they are beyond reproach...!
Old    Brett Treiber (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-12-2014, 3:42 PM Reply   
I find it absurd those putting down MC and saying I'm glad i own another brand. No other manufacturer out there except for maybe Nautique puts out the money that MC does to support the competition aspect for the pro riders. Exclude Nautique and MC and there is like two events left with a decent amount of exposure.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-12-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mastercraft has expressed theirs. Wake World posters have expressed theirs also. Who's right? Who knows? I for one am disappointed with Mastercrafts decision. But in the end it is their decision to make.
Old     (ToddWake)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-12-2014, 4:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mastercraft has expressed theirs. Wake World posters have expressed theirs also. Who's right? Who knows? I for one am disappointed with Mastercrafts decision. But in the end it is their decision to make.

We'll put. Your reply is well balanced without bias or prejudice. We need more of the level-headedness that is inherent in all your posts.

I grovel at your feet.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-12-2014, 7:28 PM Reply   
Todd wake is right.

Who is this wakeworlder with a profile that doesn't even exist?
Old    Sander (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-12-2014, 7:54 PM Reply   
I do agree with phillywakeboarder. It's rather messy with all those tours and titles and it would probably help the sport if it was easier to understand what's what.
Old     (ToddWake)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-12-2014, 8:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Todd wake is right.

Who is this wakeworlder with a profile that doesn't even exist?

I'm just a man impressed with Robert's lack of motive beyond promoting equality and justice in a sane and rationale way without agenda or propensity.

I'm sure he lives his life in this way and applies his "ice cold, no mistakes" approach to such things as cattle wrangling, retirement planning, or boat buying.

I'd be most obliged if Robert told me what kind of boat he rolls in.
Old    Johnny (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-12-2014, 10:50 PM Reply   
"I don't know about the culture on that side of the country, but over here, you put almost any event at the stadium and it is packed, all day. There are two sides, so the event can be viewed from both sides as opposed to the traditional one sided viewing."
Dave Diaz

I agree with this Dave, it is a good venue for wakesports. I also think that Elsinore Channel, although gross water, is a good venue for wakeboarding, its narrow, has the stadium there for parking and could have vendors and a bunch of stuff in there. You can have viewers on both sides of the channel all the way up and down the course.

If MC feels it is bearing most of the burden for putting on wake contests, they can step away (and take the "official towboat of the blah blah blah" off all their sales pitch).

I too wish that the pro tour was more streamlined and simple, at better venues, and I wish that each boat company was responsible for setting up, paying for, and pulling two contests each. MC, Nautique, Malibu, Supra, Tige… That would be a 10 contest season. They can share the burden and share the benefits. We get more contests and get to see all the flagship boats.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-13-2014, 3:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddWake View Post
I'm just a man impressed with Robert's lack of motive beyond promoting equality and justice in a sane and rationale way without agenda or propensity.

I'm sure he lives his life in this way and applies his "ice cold, no mistakes" approach to such things as cattle wrangling, retirement planning, or boat buying.

I'd be most obliged if Robert told me what kind of boat he rolls in.
I can honestly say i don't roll in one of the "Top Three Boats". I can also honestly say that all of the top three make great boats. What we are discussing is Mastercrafts decision to cut the Jr. Men and the Women on their tour. Also cutting a number of stops is at issue here. As for the way i live my life, I'm a Wild Child who will never grow up. I have as much fun as possible every day.
Old     (ToddWake)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-13-2014, 4:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
I can honestly say i don't roll in one of the "Top Three Boats". I can also honestly say that all of the top three make great boats. What we are discussing is Mastercrafts decision to cut the Jr. Men and the Women on their tour. Also cutting a number of stops is at issue here. As for the way i live my life, I'm a Wild Child who will never grow up. I have as much fun as possible every day.

You are not in one of the top three?

You are either:

1) poor
2) suffering from mental illness
3) a hipster being ironic
4) not a boat owner all all
5) a tube tugger

I recant all I've said about you Robert...which lowly brand do you call your own? So much for good judgement...
Old    Jason G (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-13-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
Dispite the passively insulting appearance of this change, this is a good sign. The tour has sucked for over a decade. What is the tour? A showcase of the best riding? HAHA! Far from it. The riding we see daily in quick edits far exceeds what we see at a tour-stop. The tour is an advertisement venue. Its a way for a growing sport to advertise its gear and guage pricing\value. The fact that the sport has priced itself away from the masses and the events are no longer worth the advertising dollar is a great sign! Its another step in the impending crash of the wakeboarding market. We have needed a market correction for far too long.

Womens wakeboarding is not going away. In fact it is more dynamic now than it has ever been. This change means that the companies are making the final attempt to remain stable while still gouging the market. They do this by cutting costs in other ways, including advertising.

When we stop buying these products they will be forced to drop prices and pick up events as advertising, or they risk going under. If they do go under, great! Someone will buy the molds pennies on the dollar, produce a product with plain guages, basic sound, and builders grade vinyl, and sell them for $40k.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:31 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us