Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (raceman121)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-08-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
Hey guys looking for a more durable wakesurf board. right now i have a ronix koal fish 5'7'' or something around that length. im about 185 190LBS. would really like a durable board. thanks
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-08-2014, 12:25 PM Reply   
On the durability topic, I just got a Koal fish and really like it because it is tougher. Most recently we've owned a custom and gnarslayer, but they just fell apart getting bumped around in the boat.

How are you guys storing your surfers in the racks without them getting beat to hell?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-08-2014, 3:17 PM Reply   
My Ronix koal was a piece of crap, dented super easy, and spider cracks thru out! I am a bit tough on boards tho. I now keep them in board bags, then put them in the rack
Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-08-2014, 7:18 PM Reply   
you need one of my racks for your AVY Tony!!!
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-09-2014, 4:52 AM Reply   
the original Inland Surfer Squirts were compression Molded are great, they went to foam wood Lock on newer molders. But their new Tako is compression molded is a great board!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-09-2014, 5:56 AM Reply   
I have two friends with the original Squirt and it is pretty tough and still a decent riding board.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-09-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
+1 on the IS Tako - we love that board. Can be ridden with diferent fin configurations, is fast and lots of different people are able to ride it.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-09-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
better yet is the Inland Black Pearl, I've had mine for 4 years, I weigh in at 200 but I have a killer wave
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-09-2014, 1:33 PM Reply   
Drew, I even managed to crush the tip of my Black Pearl LOL!!! Corson, I'm saving up for your racks! maybe this summer!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-09-2014, 2:02 PM Reply   
Really no such thing as a good compression molded surfboard. There are decent skims that are comp molded, but they are heavy and lifeless compared to higher quality boards like a P5.

There are a lot of surf style boards that may look like a comp molded board, but these are typical hand-shaped/finished board with opaque paint. The opaque or sometimes 'epoxy paint' finish basically hides are the poor construction underneath.

There are some good boards, with good shapes, and made well that utilize wood/bamboo and carbon fiber/other synthetic fibers that hold up better. The wakeboard brands have a few notable models, also Inland, and Chaos/Shred Stixx.

Check out the Bamboo Series Carbon Sixer.

All standard racks will crush rails to a greater or lesser extent, unless fully wrapped in a noodle. Nevertheless, there are always pressure points.
Corson's racks a nice. Good function and aesthetics. But if you are in a hot climate, by all means keep the board covered in a bag or sock.

Nick
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-11-2014, 4:37 PM Reply   
The Liquid Force Doum Skim is the best compression molded board I have ridden. It's the only one I have been able to get in the air. I was very surprised at what I could do on it.

The newest shape of the Hyperlite Broadcast is also pretty good. I can hit 3 shuvs and bigspins on them, but they are too heavy to get in the air. Also, if you fall back it is sooo hard to catch back up.

The best board for someone on a budget is the Victoria Factor for only $480. They are not compression molded (they are e glass and pvc foam), but they are pretty tough and will take your riding really far. Plus they are made in Southern California.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-11-2014, 5:48 PM Reply   
I rode a squirt after lots of riding of the victoria factor and triple X slasher over the past few years and the squirt was a tank. It's fast, but sooooo heavy. Great board for impressing your friends with such tricks as drinking a busch light while riding, but other than that... meh.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       01-12-2014, 11:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
The Liquid Force Doum Skim is the best compression molded board I have ridden. It's the only one I have been able to get in the air. I was very surprised at what I could do on it.

The newest shape of the Hyperlite Broadcast is also pretty good. I can hit 3 shuvs and bigspins on them, but they are too heavy to get in the air. Also, if you fall back it is sooo hard to catch back up.

The best board for someone on a budget is the Victoria Factor for only $480. They are not compression molded (they are e glass and pvc foam), but they are pretty tough and will take your riding really far. Plus they are made in Southern California.
What do you think about the Doum for a 1st skim board Mitch?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHolloway View Post
What do you think about the Doum for a 1st skim board Mitch?
If you're on a strict budget, then yes. But for $100 more you can get a great board.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       01-12-2014, 2:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
If you're on a strict budget, then yes. But for $100 more you can get a great board.
Been seeing them around for about 220... seemed like a decent deal
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2014, 11:43 PM Reply   
Ben, snatch it up! You'll have fun for sure. Just put in a shallower fin with a longer base. The stock fin is no good.
Old     (RIDE_LAB)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-14-2014, 5:41 AM Reply   
Check out the Cove prelude 55" skim. New company unreal board. I had them out at my wakeboard school and everyone loved them big guys little guys. Everyone that rode one bought one. Check them out at www.covewakesurfers.com I think they have a preorder up for like one more week.