Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-20-2013, 8:01 PM Reply   
So here it is, I just bought one of the coolest Porsches you can get your hands on - there are literally 4 of these for sale in the US right now- Maybe... and the stereo BLOWS!!!! I need some really really awesome 5-6 inch front speakers with 2' tweeters- see pictures- and some 4X6 2 ways with an amp that will make this shake- if I could find a place for a sub, i'd do it- but it doesn't exist without modding the car and that's not happening. see the pictures and suggestions welcome- enjoy...
Attached Images

Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-20-2013, 8:43 PM Reply   
Sick ride man... I would not touch that system myself. Only let a top tier custom installer work on it as they know how to treat these types of vehicles. Private bay away from the "shop" guys that want to take it for a late night spin.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-20-2013, 9:51 PM Reply   
Wow I love that ride. 993 FTW.

If that is really a rare care, has low miles and you plan on driving it rarely I would leave it 100% stock even if the radio does suck unless you can change the speakers without cutting any extra holes.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-21-2013, 7:13 AM Reply   
There will be no extra holes cut- I want to find the best quality 5-6" 2 ways and a set of 4x6's that can go under the current grills- leave the fit and finish alone, but better sound.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-21-2013, 7:59 AM Reply   
First thing u need to do is see if it has a factory amp. Sometimes they must be bypassed depending on impedence of factory speakers. Aftermarket interior speakers are 4 ohm for cars. Some factory setups use 1 or 2 or other. If that is true with yours u must bypass amp when changing speakers if u have one. Also if that is done u must consider head unit. If factory amp is present then ur head unit is not powered and only sends signal to amp which in turn powers speakers. If u bypass amp if there is one then u must change radio to a powered deck or install a new amp to factory deck thru line output converters or device such as jl audio clean sweep or audio controls version. I run a very large custom stereo, wheel and accessory shop. We are known as the shop to get it done right and to do high end cars in our area. We fix behind several other shade tree shops in our area. Be careful who u let work on it and research the shop before u hand over keys. We do a ton of dealership work and I suggest u ask some of the higher end car dealers service depts who they recommend in your area.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-21-2013, 8:02 AM Reply   
^^ that's a good idea- I will ask the dealership who they use.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-21-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
I would fill that thing full of focal or Hertz if it were my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       12-21-2013, 1:13 PM Reply   
It's been awhile and I don't remember if anything had to be cut or modified behind the grills but I've done Dynaudio 3 ways in several Porsche's.

The 3" soft dome midrange and tweeter go in the dash and I'm pretty sure we had to do the 5.75" midbass driver in the doors due to space.

I don't think they sell a 3 way package with the 5.75" but you can piece it together since they sell the individual components.

http://www.dynaudio.com/int/pdf/DYN_...ochure_INT.pdf

You are limited on subwoofer options but there are several nice 8" subs on the market that you can fit in the car and make it look nice and sound really good.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       12-21-2013, 2:56 PM Reply   
The 1980's called, they want their handbrake and shifter back…

Just kidding, beautiful car, but not sure why you're posting here for stereo advice. anyone with that kind of money can get a professional to do the job, ask your dealer for a reference.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-21-2013, 3:13 PM Reply   
You are correct- I can get the dealer to hook me up. what was I thinking posting here- where no one cares about high end stereo installs, top of the line drivers and amps, or sexy machines.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-22-2013, 9:04 AM Reply   
Hold on. I think the message was that many people would not touch a car like that, as the beauty and value of the car is in its original form. Of course, this forum does see many people modifying their 6 digit boats pretty frequently. =)

That being said, many high end sports luxury cars do tend to lack the high fidelity stereo they likely deserve. There are various brands to choose from including Hertz, Rainbow Audio, Audison, McIntosh, Brax, Focal and DLS in order to maintain that "high end" quality the car deserves.

I would contact a few local sources and get some competing references for installation work. Expect a car like that to beg a $7-10k price tag. "It's all in the install."
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-22-2013, 5:54 PM Reply   
I worked at a shop that did the local dealer's Porsche's, Ferrari's, and Aston Martin's. For rear engine Porsche's we did a custom sub box in the front of the passenger footwell and a custom rear speaker deck. I am sure your car is newer than the Porsche's I worked on but these installations were done with zero damage to the original car interior and were easily reversed back to stock. Amp's used to go in the front boot under the spare. Back then we were using Nakamichi head units that dropped right in as well.

It's a beautiful car but not a great platform for a big stereo install.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-22-2013, 6:01 PM Reply   
best audio system upgrade is louder exhaust in that ride!
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-22-2013, 6:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5150 View Post
I just bought one of the coolest Porsches you can get your hands on - there are literally 4 of these for sale in the US right now- Maybe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks

That's just on eBay. I found 11 on Autotrader. Nice car, though far from one of the coolest Porsche's you can get your hands on - not even the coolest 993 you can get your hands on. 993 Turbo, Slant Nose 930 Turbo, 959, newer 911 Turbo's, Carrera GT's, 918, 911 GT1/2/3, etc. easily outrank it. Not to say I'd kick it out of the garage, just putting things in perspective.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-23-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
Just curious...what makes that car so special? i'm not a prosche guy. so have no clue. But I do see alot of newer 4s's on the road.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-23-2013, 1:04 PM Reply   
I'm just a stereo Goon so I don't know to much but IMO these are the coolest porsche's
http://singervehicledesign.com.

This trend of taking newer Porsches and placing them on a Diet and ripping out all the non essential driving aids, leaving you with a car that weighs 1700-2000 lbs and has 400+ HP is in my opinion one of the coolest Porsches you could have. Check out this Porsche. The guy that ownes it is the Head designer at Bugatti and did lots of work on the Veryon. This is his personal porsche. Bad ass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAY5fRglsb4&sns=em
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       12-23-2013, 2:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
Just curious...what makes that car so special? i'm not a prosche guy. so have no clue. But I do see alot of newer 4s's on the road.

The 993 (1995-1998) 911 was the last aircooled, handbuilt 911, so it sounds and feels different than the watercooled, robot-built ones that began in 1999.

Base = C2
AWD=C4
More power + Wide = C2s
More power + AWD + Big Brakes + Wide = C4s

Porsche didn't make a lot of 993 models (when compared to 996), and the "S" models are ever less common.

Some porsche people prefer the non-AWD versions, but there is no doubt that any 993 "S" model is gorgeous.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-23-2013, 4:55 PM Reply   
^^ that is correct - completely different car from the newer water cooled c4s you see on the road. I've owned a couple 911s now- both water cooled and there's nothing like them on the road.
There are faster cars Porsches but not many that combine the level of desire ability with performance - hence the going prices which are in some cases above the original cost of these cars 17 years ago.
Thanks for the stereo ideas everyone- I really do appreciate it. Wasn't trying to make more out of this car with regard to rarity- as someone pointed out- but it's a very nice machine.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       12-23-2013, 5:59 PM Reply   
I really dig the RWB Porsche's. Purists will flame them but they are just cool. One of my good friend's neighbors has one. Nakai-San shipped all the parts, flew over and built it in his garage.

http://youtu.be/xPJUmerxd1Y
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-24-2013, 8:01 AM Reply   
Sweet car! That RWB is a total racing machine!
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-26-2013, 6:08 AM Reply   
That is a 97 993 c4s? If a 97 it was the last year of the air cooled making it really rare. Beautiful car!

Talk to a reputable audio shop and they can help. Dynaudio are great speakers. I had those before and was impressed.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-26-2013, 6:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti2lo View Post
If a 97 it was the last year of the air cooled making it really rare.
1998 is the last year.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-26-2013, 10:24 AM Reply   
Will, sick car! You may want to give this place a look. I have no experience with them....only just drive by it on the way to the grocery store in Wayzata (which is home to many high end cars).

http://eurosportwayzata.com/about/
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-26-2013, 2:00 PM Reply   
I will do that Jay! Thanks for the head's up!