Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Spencer (Spence680)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-27-2014, 11:04 PM Reply   
From watching the video the only thing I see is maybe I need more speed/edge into the wake and I might be pulling my legs up to soon instead of locking them stiff all the way through the top of the wake. So please help guys. A friend who has wakeboarded for a long time road behind my boat ( Axis A22 sacked out ) and was landing 5 to 10 feet out in the flats everytime so it's me messing up somewhere :/ . Riding at 60 or 65ft right now. Can't remember exactly.

http://youtu.be/w9zzOk388H4
Old    Jeff D (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-28-2014, 6:13 AM Reply   
I'm not the best instructor but I'll give it a shot. Your cut and speed looks good. What I'm betting will help is if you flatten out the board right at the last moment and shift your weight to your front foot. I always tell people to "stomp" the wake with your front foot.

When you hit the wake while leaning back on your heel edge a lot of the energy just turns into rope tension (i.e. your body/board roll a couple of degrees away from the boat), the board tends to plow through the wake more efficiently and therefore the energy of the wake is absorbed. When you hit the wake with your weight more towards your rear foot the energy of the wake is turned into a slight rearward rotation of your body (i.e. your front leg is pushed up while your rear is down and your body rolls a few degrees away from the wake) and energy is also absorbed by your front leg as it bends slightly. It's all about maximization and conservation of the wake energy against your board/body. Get your speed right (Which you're already doing well on), body upright, your board flat, your weight slightly forward, and stomp the wake with your front foot like you're stomping a big roach (But don't lock your knee) and all of that energy will be used to send you vertical.

It will take some practice to get the timing of coming off your edge and shifting your weight forward. Do it too soon and your speed will suffer and you won't go far. Do it too late and you don't get that vertical "pop". Shift your weight too far forward and you'll go over the front of the board. Get it just right and you're going to feel the wake a whole lot more abruptly than you probably do now. If you get launched vertically into the air and bucked off of balance and wreck you did it right. Keep doing that until you get the feel for that abruptness and learn to control it.

Also, you may want to bring in the rope a bit to make wake to wake a little more attainable for now. You're going to wear yourself out plowing into the other wake like that. Once you start landing in the flats consistently again (But with good vertical height) then you can let the rope back out.
Old    William Burell (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-28-2014, 6:22 AM Reply   
Looks like you are flattening out right before you go through the wake to me. I do the same thing.
Old    Jeff D (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-28-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
Looks like you are flattening out right before you go through the wake to me. I do the same thing.
It varied from jump to jump. Flattening out is good but it's all about timing. On the jump at 0:09 the OP did flatten out and the timing looked ok with ok vertical pop. Compare that to the second jump at 0:21 where he pretty much didn't come off his edge at all and there was less vertical air and less lateral travel.

Actually the 0:09 jump is probably the best jump in that video. If you'd get your weight forward you'd get popped more vertically. See attached screenshot and look how your body is rotated away from the wake. Get rid of some of that and it will probably help. Your body is going to rotate some as you're essentially going up a ramp but if you can counteract some of that rotation the energy will be used to move you vertical (i.e. "pop").
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Jeff; 05-28-2014 at 6:37 AM.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       05-28-2014, 7:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I'm not the best instructor but I'll give it a shot. Your cut and speed looks good. What I'm betting will help is if you flatten out the board right at the last moment and shift your weight to your front foot. I always tell people to "stomp" the wake with your front foot.

When you hit the wake while leaning back on your heel edge a lot of the energy just turns into rope tension (i.e. your body/board roll a couple of degrees away from the boat), the board tends to plow through the wake more efficiently and therefore the energy of the wake is absorbed. When you hit the wake with your weight more towards your rear foot the energy of the wake is turned into a slight rearward rotation of your body (i.e. your front leg is pushed up while your rear is down and your body rolls a few degrees away from the wake) and energy is also absorbed by your front leg as it bends slightly. It's all about maximization and conservation of the wake energy against your board/body. Get your speed right (Which you're already doing well on), body upright, your board flat, your weight slightly forward, and stomp the wake with your front foot like you're stomping a big roach (But don't lock your knee) and all of that energy will be used to send you vertical.

It will take some practice to get the timing of coming off your edge and shifting your weight forward. Do it too soon and your speed will suffer and you won't go far. Do it too late and you don't get that vertical "pop". Shift your weight too far forward and you'll go over the front of the board. Get it just right and you're going to feel the wake a whole lot more abruptly than you probably do now. If you get launched vertically into the air and bucked off of balance and wreck you did it right. Keep doing that until you get the feel for that abruptness and learn to control it.

Also, you may want to bring in the rope a bit to make wake to wake a little more attainable for now. You're going to wear yourself out plowing into the other wake like that. Once you start landing in the flats consistently again (But with good vertical height) then you can let the rope back out.
I don't know what this guy is talking about, but flattening off and being front foot heavy are never good things in wakeboarding. Both are completely opposite of what you should be doing. Take a farther cut out so you have more time to build your edge, then hold that edge all the way up the wake as you go from an almost seated position (knees bent) to standing tall off the top of the wake.You should have 60-70% of your weight on you back foot this entire time. I do concur about bringing possibly bringing the rope in 5' or so, but with proper technique you shouldn't have to. Please don't try to flatten off then stomp on your front foot. Thats a recipe for a concussion.
Old    Jeff D (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-28-2014, 7:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
I don't know what this guy is talking about, but flattening off and being front foot heavy are never good things...
Like I said I'm not the best instructor. I have been wakeboarding since you were 1 year old and can get 10-12 ft of air though. Since I've never had any formal instruction and all of my abilities just kindof developed over time without much thought I have a hard time consciously thinking I about what I'm doing to accomplish things and putting them into words. Anyway, try it and see how it feels or don't. Doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by Jeff; 05-28-2014 at 7:19 AM.
Old    Eric Scott (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
You're looking pretty good man. Remember to stay in rhythm and build your edge as you approach the wake - your hardest edge should be right at the top. Cut out, drift a bit, then edge towards the wake, building the edge, increasing the tension, all the way to the top of the wake, then stand tall off the top. You're leaving a lot of meat on the bone by not fully extending your legs at the top of the wake. Boot it! You'll be clearing the second wake in no time.
Old    William Burell (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-28-2014, 7:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Please don't try to flatten off then stomp on your front foot. Thats a recipe for a concussion.
x2

unless you want a scorpion sticker
Old    Jeff D (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-28-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
I've never really researched it until now but there is some credibility to what I'm saying about straightening up your body and moving your weight forward. On just about any video I can find of someone going huge they're standing up tall and straight onto and off the wake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d4_D-ss6yk

That's a double up but I don't think you could tell that dude he's not doing it right.

You have to have your weight a bit forward to counteract the wake from rolling you back like the OP is in my screenshot above.
Attached Images
 
Old    Spencer (Spence680)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-28-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
Thanks guys and keep the responses coming. As of right now I have half saying more weight on the front foot and the other half saying more weight on the backfoot. I do know nothing sucks worse than nose diving your bored while coming down and introducing your face to the water pretty quickly lol. Or getting pulled out over your board and smacking that way. I might shorten the rope 5ft but it kind of motivates me to get this figured out at the current rope length so when I do start landing on the downside of the other wake I know I've figured it out.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       05-28-2014, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I've never really researched it until now but there is some credibility to what I'm saying about straightening up your body and moving your weight forward. On just about any video I can find of someone going huge they're standing up tall and straight onto and off the wake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d4_D-ss6yk

That's a double up but I don't think you could tell that dude he's not doing it right.

You have to have your weight a bit forward to counteract the wake from rolling you back like the OP is in my screenshot above.
Standing up tall off the wake? Absolutely! Shifting your weight forward onto your front foot? Not unless you want to nose dive. That video is of Scott Stewart doing a toeside front roll off of a triple up. Not really relevant to a dude trying to do a heelside wake to wake.
Old    Adam Goebel (torch318)      Join Date: May 2014       05-28-2014, 9:29 AM Reply   
Try this

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=wake%20jump%20variations
Old    Cody Roberts (codyroberts18)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-28-2014, 9:54 AM Reply   
What length rope are you riding?
Old    Boarder 42 (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-28-2014, 10:01 AM Reply   
stop looking at the wake youre going to jump and look across where you're going to land. your body will naturally stand up at the wave b/c you will see it in your side vision(i cant spell the pereiferal word) then you will go up. Its pretty amazing once you start looking at where you're going vs where you're leaving from. At least thats what helped me. still forget to do it a lot and case the wake like you are
Old    Jeff D (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-28-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Standing up tall off the wake? Absolutely! Shifting your weight forward onto your front foot? Not unless you want to nose dive. That video is of Scott Stewart doing a toeside front roll off of a triple up. Not really relevant to a dude trying to do a heelside wake to wake.
Sorry, that was just a huge jump so I picked that video. The weight shift I'm talking about applies to toe side or heel side.

I think my wording might be causing confusion here. If you go at the wake and ride into it like a n00b it will naturally push you back onto your rear foot just like you're riding up a ramp. Your body may be straight but it's going to pitch away from the wake naturally just like the screenshot I took of the OP earlier in the thread. You have to counteract that or it absorbs all of the energy. Physics dictates that you can't "stand up straight" (Straight as in vertical) without shifting your weight off of the foot that's lower and onto the foot that's higher (i.e. shifting your weight to the front foot).

I don't really have any good pics of me jumping regular heelside. Here's about a 7-7.5 ft switch heelside jump. In my head when I'm doing this I feel like I'm stomping the wake and then I get punched nearly straight up. My regular jumps are 2+ feet higher. So, I know what I'm doing but I guess I have a hard time verbalizing it.

BTW, I'm not a small boy. 6'2", 115 lbs.
Attached Images
 
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-28-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
How you land on the other wake is how you take off from the first wake. You want to cut out about 20 to 25' away from the wake in one smooth motion. Then settle,no edge at all,till line tension builds from the boat pulling you forward. Use that tension and momentum to begin your cut into the wake. Slowly build your edge as you approach the wake. Example 25' out a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10. Then at 20 feet a 3 and at 15' a 4. Once you get 10' out you will be picking up speed and line tension you should be at 5 now and get to at least 7 or 8 at the wake. 10 being you most powerful edge,which you don't need to reach for a simple wake jump. At the wake you will encounter force against your legs as a result of the edge you built. I liken it to trying to stand up from a squatted position with someone on your shoulders. You push up with your legs,forward with you hips and up with your chest. This with lock out your body in the standing "TALL" position.When you are standing tall you will receive the full reaction of both forces.Both forces being the wake{water pushing upward} you standing tall {you pushing downward against the water}. The reaction is called "pop". It's like jumping on a trampoline or a diving board. If your body is stiff [standing tall} when landing on the board or trampoline you get the best effect. If your knees or waist bend you don't get the full effect. Remember how you take off is how you land. So you want to be on edge and standing tall. You also want to stand tall evenly with both legs. Most importantly you want to bend your knees once you are airborne so you can absorb you landing. It's best to try this procedure over 1 wake first with about a 5' approach to get used to the feeling first. As it will be quite a surprise when you first experience real pop. Good luck and send us a new video with your progress.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:43 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us