Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jronix)      Join Date: Sep 2012       12-15-2013, 11:35 PM Reply   
Looking at buying a mendonesia half moon and was curious how well that board will do with a large rider? I am 6'5" and between 215 and 220. Found the 4'8" board for a good price just not sure if I will need more length with that particular board. Also was curious about what some opinions are on the triple x slayer is? Thanks for any help with my questions.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-16-2013, 9:05 AM Reply   
The half moon takes a lot of input, for someone your size I would recommend something a little larger. I've ridden a slayer and I think for the money its a solid choice. Depending on how athletic your and how much cash you have to spend there are some other good options. Soulcraft has a new "big boy" model (da honu), Day 1 wake is also a solid option I think Triple X is selling the TM pro model... Trevor is like 11' tall and rides the board well its doesn't require as much effort as the half moon, I have one and its pretty sporty. Shred Stixx also has a couple choices too both import and USA models...
Old     (jronix)      Join Date: Sep 2012       12-16-2013, 10:37 AM Reply   
I was originally thinking of going the route of custom board but decided 900 dollars was a bit more than I wanted to spend. I would like to find something fast with some pop and stay near 600, just a lot of options and not sure which board would be best at that price point. I would wait until spring to demo but that's not an option for me b/c of the lack of dealers near me.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-16-2013, 12:34 PM Reply   
Ringer XLclose to 600, free fins I think too...
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-16-2013, 5:04 PM Reply   
Personally with me being a bigger guy (around 220-230 during the summer) I actually find that smaller boards are better for me.
I cut my teeth on a broadcast, but didn't have too much luck with that.
I then went to a 5'6 Fish and that was good for me to learn on, but it was really big and heavy. It's hard to maneuver when you factor in it's weight and size and your weight and size. Even though it is more bouyant, the wake has to have more push to move the bigger boards for free riding.
I then went to a Ronix Caption 4'8 and love that board. It is light and quick, very manuverable and is the board I ride the most. I'm able to free ride it easily and manuever it with ease.
I also ride a React 4'0 some of the time when I'm on my other buddy's boat. I like that board the best, but the manufacturer is out of business, so finding another is kinda tricky.
That board is made more like a surfboard and not a wakeboard that is shaped like a wakesurfer. I believe it is a foam core that has been glassed versus a compression molded core like in most wakeboard manufacturer wakesurfers. It is a lot lighter and extremely manueverable and very stable.
Even though it is a lot shorter, once you get your feet and bodyweight in the correct position it is very easy to stay in and move all along the pocket.

If you have a choice, get a wakesurfer from a surf or wakesurf manufacturer and not a wakeboard manufacturer. They perform better due to the way they are made and designed. They do have a premium price tag for it, but it is almost a whole different breed of boards.

TLDR, bigger boards aren't always better for bigger guys.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-16-2013, 7:53 PM Reply   
this may hold true for some shapes, but not all. there is a difference between being able to ride it and being able to use and enjoy it...
Old     (jronix)      Join Date: Sep 2012       12-17-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
Im thinking about the triple x addixion, thoughts on if that board will support me and still perform to its potentia? I am an intermediate rider looking for a more aggressive board.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-17-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
The big boys in my crew love my old Shred Stixx Ja Mako. I have a buddy on the lake that has some sweet walker project big boy board and he rocks it. See if you can find something custom and used and keep the costs down.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-17-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
Im not near as tall as you 6', but im 210. I ride the Doomswell Nubstep. Its a 4'6" super fast.

If your looking for something bigger Doomswell also make 4'9" Bigstep its basically the big brother of the nubstep i do believe.
Prices are really good to

If i where you i would definently give them a look
www.doomswell.com
(409) 692-6363

Brock and Brian are great guys also
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-17-2013, 12:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Personally with me being a bigger guy (around 220-230 during the summer) I actually find that smaller boards are better for me.
I cut my teeth on a broadcast, but didn't have too much luck with that.
I then went to a 5'6 Fish and that was good for me to learn on, but it was really big and heavy. It's hard to maneuver when you factor in it's weight and size and your weight and size. Even though it is more bouyant, the wake has to have more push to move the bigger boards for free riding.
I then went to a Ronix Caption 4'8 and love that board. It is light and quick, very manuverable and is the board I ride the most. I'm able to free ride it easily and manuever it with ease.
I also ride a React 4'0 some of the time when I'm on my other buddy's boat. I like that board the best, but the manufacturer is out of business, so finding another is kinda tricky.
That board is made more like a surfboard and not a wakeboard that is shaped like a wakesurfer. I believe it is a foam core that has been glassed versus a compression molded core like in most wakeboard manufacturer wakesurfers. It is a lot lighter and extremely manueverable and very stable.
Even though it is a lot shorter, once you get your feet and bodyweight in the correct position it is very easy to stay in and move all along the pocket.

If you have a choice, get a wakesurfer from a surf or wakesurf manufacturer and not a wakeboard manufacturer. They perform better due to the way they are made and designed. They do have a premium price tag for it, but it is almost a whole different breed of boards.

TLDR, bigger boards aren't always better for bigger guys.
Nailed it. I have a Hyperlite Broadcast for beginners and that is the slowest board i have ever been on....lol....the smallere ones alot of time tend to be faster...

Like i said go check out Doomswell
Old     (jronix)      Join Date: Sep 2012       12-17-2013, 3:40 PM Reply   
I actually was looking at the big step but couldn't find any info on how it rides so I guess I just cancelled it out. The price is on the high end for me too. Maybe I will contact the guys at dooms well and see what they say.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-17-2013, 7:43 PM Reply   
The first thing to remember is that length is not necessarily a factor. I can make three 4'4" boards that roughly look the same, but are designed for people weighing up to 120, 180 or 260. Minor difference in width, thickness and rocker have a much greater affect on displacement, than an inch or three of length. Wakesurfs are shorter than typical surfboard simple due to fitting in a small pocket. In your specific case, Josh, you want to be looking at a 4'11 or longer board due to your height. It is not your weight, but at 6'5" a shorter board will force you to have a narrower/tighter stance.

Nick
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-18-2013, 5:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jronix View Post
I actually was looking at the big step but couldn't find any info on how it rides so I guess I just cancelled it out. The price is on the high end for me too. Maybe I will contact the guys at dooms well and see what they say.
yes i would if i were you. I havnt rode the big step but have been around it. We took a guy out who had never been able to surf ropeless (probbably 6'2 255lb) and was surfing ropeless for the first time on the bigstep. overall Doomswell puts out a great product. You wont be dissapointed
Old     (jronix)      Join Date: Sep 2012       12-19-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for their input and to those of you who wrote me privately about different boards. I decided to have Brock @ Dooomswell make me a board and he was able to work with the budget I have. I'm really glad I was able to get a custom board in my price range and can't wait to ride it!