Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-12-2013, 3:40 PM Reply   
Well I remember riding behind a super air nautique for the first time when I was probably 16 years old... and I've been in love ever since. I am now 27 and ridden behind a number of different wake boats new and old. I still never got over the love for that old super air. So after saving enough cash, I went on the hunt for one of my own. I finally found this beauty for sale at Century Marine in Mesa, AZ. It was on consignment so I made an offer, the offer was accepted, and I then made the 8 hour drive to pick it up. They made it sound like it was pretty hammered so I was expecting the worst. When I arrived and saw the boat I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually in pretty good shape. Needs a little cosmetic work here and there but I'm okay with that. Prop was bent up so I just ordered an acme 1578. Over the offseason I plan on adding PP stargazer, Custom ballast system with reversible pumps, new vinyl, new stereo system, bimini, and a few other things here and there.

I started by peeling off the hideous red pinstripe around the N.
Thinking about painting the top half of the tower yellow. What do ya think? I'm not a big fan of the color yellow but I thought it might give it some flavor.

Any other suggestions on anything about the boat is always welcome! Stoked!
Attached Images

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-12-2013, 4:09 PM Reply   
Yellow speaker cans may look cool??? Beautiful boat and congrats!!!
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       09-12-2013, 4:11 PM Reply   
how much you end up paying for this boat ... i saw it ... it was priced nicely ... bit to far of a drive for me considering the condition.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-12-2013, 4:45 PM Reply   
Yellow speaker cans... I like that idea. That way I won't have to pull the tower apart as well.

I ended up paying $13,000 for it. It will take some money to get it how I want it but I figure if I can be into it under 20k after adding everything I want to then I will be happy. Trailer needs work, no bimini, no cover, needs new interior, needs new stereo, needs new batteries, Perfect pass, new ballast system. That all adds up pretty quick but at least I can do it all exactly how I want. Everything was sound mechanically which was the main thing I was worried about. And it's got the GT-40 which is a plus.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-12-2013, 4:50 PM Reply   
The interior actually doesn't all need replaced. Just the dark blue parts are cracked and dried out. I will probably just do the entire thing though so it all matches and looks good. I will probably just do the entire interior white with just blue accents.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-12-2013, 4:54 PM Reply   
throw some carbon fiber around the bottom seat fronts, and diamond stitching on the back sun pad IMO.

(Im biased to that since thats how I redid my old boat haha)
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-12-2013, 4:58 PM Reply   
That would be pretty sweet. If it's not too much more I might go that route. I think I saw your old boat on planet nautique and the interior looked stellar.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-12-2013, 5:20 PM Reply   
NIce work... Congrats!
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-12-2013, 7:59 PM Reply   
Congrats! That wake was my first love. IMO if you're going to throw some coin into an older boat and keep it, these are a great move. Enjoy!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-12-2013, 10:56 PM Reply   
I can't believe you only paid 13K for it. That's a great deal. I would leave the colors of everything the same. Maybe tint the windows if youre into that. One of the problems with changing half of the tower color is then you'll have a brand new finish right next to an old finish. It'll look like a half finished project. Additionally, when you have too many colors going on it makes the boat look segmented which makes it look smaller. Just my .02. Congrats on the bargain.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-12-2013, 11:45 PM Reply   
Yeah I felt like I got a good deal. I will probably leave the tower blue and just polish it up real good. Yellow tower speakers are tempting though. Probably not worth the hassle though. I will just get some black speaker cans so they match the board racks.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2013, 4:26 AM Reply   
You know, you can cover up that yellow with what ever color you want very easily for about $75. Vinylstriping .com sells good vinyl that I covered up some factory pin stiping with. Changed the whole look of the boat. First pic is 1" black pin striping that I covered up the 2 factory purple and teal colors from the 90's. Seemed like half the boats I see from the 90's are the purple/teal color combo especially Nautiques in the early 90's. Second pic is what is on my boat now and I love it. 3 seasons now and it still looks great. It is 7" x 150' roll and as you can see I trimmed it in a couple places to make it work with the lines of the boat.
Attached Images

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2013, 4:38 AM Reply   
Another purple and teal color combo. I dont have a close shot of the Mastercraft but you can see what I did. By the congrats on the boat. That is a steal and now I have to throw a pic in with what I did to my first boat, a Nautique. Just added the green stripe at the bottom and high lighted the air intake grills. Sorry for the hi jack but get customized when you redo the interior.
Attached Images

Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-13-2013, 5:55 AM Reply   
Thanks Nick. I've actually thought about doing exactly what you are talking about. I would just cover the yellow part with a different color. Black maybe? Silver? Something custom maybe like camo or some other design? Maybe someone can photoshop a few different options...
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-13-2013, 5:57 AM Reply   
Btw that vlx is awesome looking!
Old     (MuskokaCanada)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-13-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
Love the boat. Axe the yellow. I also hate yellow tho. From someone in an '84 2001 also looking to own a 210 some day ... Congrats brother. And at $13K you got a great deal.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-13-2013, 6:55 AM Reply   
Thats a steal for $13k... how many hours on the gt40?.. I've owned a couple 210's.. One suggestion is get rid of the ski pole and put a plug/cap in the hole... Cleans up the line...
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-13-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
My vote is for white vinyl over the yellow, replace the SAN decals towards the stern and pinstripe the blue logo in black. I'd probably re-powder coat the tower regardless of color, but I would go black. Add some tint and she'll be looking good!

+1 for the ski pole cap.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2013, 7:29 AM Reply   
AWESOME! Look forward to seeing what you do with it! I think it already looks good....
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-13-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
Thats a steal for $13k... how many hours on the gt40?.. I've owned a couple 210's.. One suggestion is get rid of the ski pole and put a plug/cap in the hole... Cleans up the line...
Get rid of the ski pole? Where does the tube attach then?
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-13-2013, 9:42 AM Reply   
Open the engine compartment, there's a bracket with clamps behind the seat..
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-13-2013, 2:02 PM Reply   
Sweet boat man! Congrats!
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-14-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
Well I think I'm gonna just embrace the yellow. I much as I wish it were black or white right there, it's just not worth it to cover it up and then buy all new decals for back. So now my dilemma... black tower speakers or yellow tower speakers. I am probably gonna add a black pinstripe around the N where the old red pinstripe was. So I'm thinking just play it safe and go with black tower speakers. Maybe get some yellow speaker sox.

Also will adding tower speakers make it a PITA to take up/down my bimini? Should I install the tower speakers first and then install my bimini?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-14-2013, 8:34 AM Reply   
Black speakers for sure. I wouldn't worry about replacing the super air decals after covering the yellow. It's not like it isn't obvious what boat it is.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-14-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
Yeah that's true. I think I would be happier if it were black right there instead of yellow. It will make everything else easier. Then I could just add black tower speakers, black bimini and a black cover and everything would flow nicely.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-14-2013, 11:44 AM Reply   
I vote white speakers, neutral and easier to paint if you change your mind and wanna go yellow IMO
Plus black and navy clash to my eye
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-14-2013, 12:08 PM Reply   
Well just found out the keypad is crapping out. Just ordered on from nautique parts. 400 bucks ouch. I also ordered new gas shocks for the ski locker and glove compartment. Also new trailer guide pads.

As for white tower speakers, I actually love the look of white tower speakers but I just think since my flight clips are already black I might as well stick to black with the speakers as well. Blue tower with white speakers and black racks might be a little much. Blue with black on the side might look clash a bit but I think I will like it better than blue and yellow.

Anybody have photoshop that can make that yellow part black so I can get an idea of what it will look like? If it looks funky maybe I will just make it white.
Old     (ers906)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-14-2013, 6:37 PM Reply   
When you replace the keypad, also add a secondary keyed ignition as a back-up in case the keypad dies again. It also functions as a anti-theft device when you remove the key. I added one in mine, and it allowed me to continue to use the 210 while waiting for the keypad to arrive and time for the install.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-15-2013, 5:12 PM Reply   
I saw a boat just like this one today in Georgia. Where you from?
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
Southern utah. Long ways from georgia!