Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2013, 11:35 AM Reply   
Just out of curiosity - what do the Mastercraft's, Tige's and Malibu's of the world generate from a revenue perspective on an annual basis. My understanding is that they are all private and I know that number is often difficult to come up with but does anyone know? I would also be interested in their earnings/margin.
Old    Matt (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2013, 12:42 PM Reply   
Mastercraft:

http://www.answers.com/topic/masterc...-company-inc-1

http://www.aplayersearch.com/careers...%20posting.pdf

So between $140-$250 million.

Seriously, all I did was google search "mastercraft boats revenue"....

Another example, Nautique:
(searched correct craft boats revenue)

http://www.insideview.com/directory/correct-craft-inc

$50 million, thats what was reported at least...

Last edited by MattieK27; 08-29-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old    Tim C (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-29-2013, 1:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
Seriously, all I did was google search "mastercraft boats revenue"....

LULZ.....

Can you explain these googles?
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2013, 2:19 PM Reply   
I have used the google once or twice before. I found similar results - I guess I should have been more clear as I was looking for insider numbers. Someone who actually knows (employee, partner, salesperson, etc.) since they are not publicly released numbers. I wanted to see how they compare in size to each other and ultimately what their profit margin is.
Old    Nick Tomsyck (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-29-2013, 2:42 PM Reply   
http://bit.ly/16UvdaV
Old    Matt (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2013, 2:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
I have used the google once or twice before. I found similar results - I guess I should have been more clear as I was looking for insider numbers. Someone who actually knows (employee, partner, salesperson, etc.) since they are not publicly released numbers. I wanted to see how they compare in size to each other and ultimately what their profit margin is.
People won't even share pictures of boats coming out in two weeks, you really think someone is going to share private revenue numbers on a wakeboarding web site? (As if anyone on here would know in the first place)

Best of luck with the endeavor...
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2013, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
People won't even share pictures of boats coming out in two weeks, you really think someone is going to share private revenue numbers on a wakeboarding web site? (As if anyone on here would know in the first place)

Best of luck with the endeavor...
Forgive me for asking such a stupid question.....It must be tough when you are always the smartest guy in the room and you have to tolerate us idiots. Go bother someone else.

Anyway - If anyone has any information that isn't protected by the CIA I would still be interested in knowing.
Old    Matt (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2013, 3:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
Forgive me for asking such a stupid question.....It must be tough when you are always the smartest guy in the room and you have to tolerate us idiots. Go bother someone else.

Anyway - If anyone has any information that isn't protected by the CIA I would still be interested in knowing.
Smartest guy? Nah, not me; I would be curious to know what it's like to be so sensitive though. I figure with a screen name like phatboypimp, you would have some thicker skin...

Dare I ask why you are after this info, since the published numbers don't seem to be fitting the bill?
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2013, 3:38 PM Reply   
One of my clients is a Partner in a Private Equity firm. Since he knew I was passionate about Wakeboarding he was asking me if I knew what the difference was in scale between the major manufacturers. I said I didnt - so I thought I would ask a population of people who live and often work around this industry. Apparently there is a well known manufacturer that is shopping for either a bridge loan or to be put up on the block for sale. My client isn't interested in the deal but we were just talking about it socially so I just thought I would ask since I couldn't find any current information online.

BTW - my response has nothing to do with the thickness of my skin - it has to do with me not understanding why someone would take the time out of their day to respond to a post where they clearly didn't have the answer to the question, insult my approach to research and ultimately tell me that my question is stupid. My feelings arent hurt - I just don't understand why you would waste the time to do that.

Last edited by phatboypimp; 08-29-2013 at 3:41 PM.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-29-2013, 3:43 PM Reply   
Don't be so sensitive Matt. He only asked for real figures not internet figures. The girls must love you ...Smart and sensitive!
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2013, 3:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Don't be so sensitive Matt. He only asked for real figures not internet figures. The girls must love you ...Smart and sensitive!
My Pimp Hand is strong!
Old    Brian (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       08-29-2013, 3:56 PM Reply   
Phatty,

If your friend is really in an equity firm then he would know those numbers are a closely guarded secret by those companies if they are privately held, and nobody who works for any of those companies is going to spill the beans on this well known public website if they want to keep their jobs.

The most interesting thing I've learned from your question though is that MC, Bu or Tige is shopping around for a loan or possibly up for sale. Bu just came out with surf gate and MC has released the Xstar so the only company I can think of, rumor wise, that might need some capital for R&D is Tige with the rumored RZ2ish new wakeboarding specific new boat coming out with R&D help from Rathy. Sounds like they are working on something big and I can't wait to see it.
Old    Matt (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2013, 3:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok01 View Post
Phatty,

If your friend is really in an equity firm then he would know those numbers are a closely guarded secret by those companies if they are privately held, and nobody who works for any of those companies is going to spill the beans on this well known public website if they want to keep their jobs.
.
Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Don't be so sensitive Matt. He only asked for real figures not internet figures. The girls must love you ...Smart and sensitive!
Ah Robert, always a pleasure to see your additions to threads.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-29-2013, 4:02 PM Reply   
If it's one of the good brands like Nautique or MC shopping for a buyer I should get my old man to buy them. Then maybe I could finally get a decent picture of a G surf wave or a Star wakeboard wake.
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2013, 4:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok01 View Post
Phatty,

If your friend is really in an equity firm then he would know those numbers are a closely guarded secret by those companies if they are privately held, and nobody who works for any of those companies is going to spill the beans on this well known public website if they want to keep their jobs.
.
This discussion has moved a little off topic. He is a Partner in a well known Private Equity firm - we both recognize that these number are not published and are typically not available for public consumption. I would also assume that if there was an employee who held this information that if they released it in a public forum it could prove to be unhealthy for their career at that company. I also recognize that for the most part - this site works on anonymity. I should have asked my question better - as an x-employee or someone who works within the ecosystem of these boating manufacturers - they might have some insight. Honestly, I assume that my client probably has access to this information in their database from the Penske/Mastercraft deal back in 09 but it piqued my interest. Although they do not publish this information - just like in the industry where I work - people still have reasonable estimates of financial performance of private companies. This really was a simple question......I didn't realize that I had to address all of these obvious concerns people are raising.

Last edited by phatboypimp; 08-29-2013 at 4:44 PM.
Old    Matt (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2013, 5:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
Although they do not publish this information - just like in the industry where I work - people still have reasonable estimates of financial performance of private companies. This really was a simple question......I didn't realize that I had to address all of these obvious concerns people are raising.
If all you are after reasonable estimates, I would suggest looking at the links from sales websites and supplier position profiles. They will get you in the ballpark. Your statement above seems to be a bit different than the "I was looking for insider numbers" statement you made prior...
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2013, 5:05 PM Reply   
I found a number of "units sold" details but I couldn't figure out the average selling price for the different brands. In actuality I was hoping that some guy that worked at Mastercraft for example would know how big Malibu was but if I could get real insider numbers I would take those . I am honestly sorry I asked at this point. I am fighting a gnarley hang-over and this was a lot more interesting to research than doing my real job. Lesson learned.
Old    RB (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-29-2013, 5:33 PM Reply   
Its going to be really tough trying to tell by units sold. None of us have any clue where that margin might be. I can tell you margin from dealer cost to MSRP, those numbers are pretty easy to find. But trying to find what a manufacturer actually puts into a boat that i have never seen. I would love to see that. I know cost for a few of the manufacturers and am amazed at what kind of money a dealer could make selling at MSRP. In most cases north of 25%. I would like to see what the manufacturer actually has into that boat. As is MSRP is 75K....dealer cost is 50K...actual cost to build is????

The mark up on the boats is ridiculous!!
Old    J (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-29-2013, 6:03 PM Reply   
If I may,

Can I get some insider information of why on earth you actually chose to call yourself phatboypimp?


Sent from my futuristic Apple device while in my office doing nothing.
Old    Markj (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
I found a number of "units sold" details but I couldn't figure out the average selling price for the different brands. In actuality I was hoping that some guy that worked at Mastercraft for example would know how big Malibu was but if I could get real insider numbers I would take those . I am honestly sorry I asked at this point. I am fighting a gnarley hang-over and this was a lot more interesting to research than doing my real job. Lesson learned.
A gnarly hangover at 4:05 pm? Dude... Also, I would never trust info like that to be accurate from this or any site like this. X2 on the reason why you call yourself phatboypimp. Maybe you have a wild sense of humor?
Old    Brian (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       08-29-2013, 7:01 PM Reply   
The markup seems ridiculous but none of us have seen the books from dealers or the manufacturers. Building boats is labor intensive and very low volume by automotive standards so economies of scale do not help boats like they do for the automotive industry. Boats are also a luxury item so people (generally) will not buy them if they cannot afford them, which means they follow the basic ups and downs of an economy, so manufacturers need to maintain some cash to continue to operate in the lean years (like Ford, unlike GM and Chrysler).

BL: Before I say that prices are ridiculous I'll need to see all the facts to know what I'm talking about.
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2013, 7:54 PM Reply   
I have no expectations that gathering information from a site like this would be used to justify some kind of investment decision - I was just curious. I do a lot of work researching companies and reading financial statements and I was just curious. In one of the other threads someone was talking about how an xstar used to be $35K and now it is $100K+ over a relative short period of time. Like Ewok was saying - this is a labor intensive manufacturing process but that is an massive increase in sales price for fundamentally the same boat. I get they have a lot more features and higher quality (likely) over that time period and I am sure they have improved their processes and cost of manufacturing.

As it relates to the Phatboypimp name - I gained a nickname in college of Fatboy and I thought that Phatboy looked much better. At that point Phat meant cool (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=phat) Soon it became my Yahoo IM name and later my email alias. Later when I was looking to create an account online - phatboy was already taken and the registration system volunteered phatboypimp. I found it to be ridiculous and so it stuck. 15 years later I still have it.

By the way - my hangover at 4:05pm wasn't from drinking today - lol - it was from a very late night last night.

Last edited by phatboypimp; 08-29-2013 at 7:59 PM.
Old    "G" (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2013, 7:31 AM Reply   
All I know is Phatboy Pimp knows how to Rock it and has some serious Michale Jackson Moves. His PIMP game is tight and you Sucka Foo's betta step back.
BTW some Phat Boy Pimp Triva . the HBO documentary "Pimps Up Hos Down" if you have ever seen it. Phat Boy Pimp came up with the Saying "Reckless Eyeballin" this guy has some serious street credit. church!
Old    Paul (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-30-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
"By the way - my hangover at 4:05pm wasn't from drinking today - lol - it was from a very late night last night"

Well there is your damn problem. Get back on that horse! lol.
Old    Newty (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2013, 8:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
All I know is Phatboy Pimp knows how to Rock it and has some serious Michale Jackson Moves. His PIMP game is tight and you Sucka Foo's betta step back.
BTW some Phat Boy Pimp Triva . the HBO documentary "Pimps Up Hos Down" if you have ever seen it. Phat Boy Pimp came up with the Saying "Reckless Eyeballin" this guy has some serious street credit. church!
Lol... I just fell out of my chair!
Old    Eric Roberts (ers906)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-05-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
Back on topic, I believe that the dealers can purchase a stock G23 for 86,000 (at least the 2013 models). I believe that it is the options which really drive the dealer profit through the roof.
Old    Swatguy (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-05-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
If any of these companies went public nobody would be paying 100k for these boats once they saw the profits. Just sayin
Old    Swatguy (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-05-2013, 11:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok01 View Post
The markup seems ridiculous but none of us have seen the books from dealers or the manufacturers. Building boats is labor intensive and very low volume by automotive standards so economies of scale do not help boats like they do for the automotive industry. Boats are also a luxury item so people (generally) will not buy them if they cannot afford them, which means they follow the basic ups and downs of an economy, so manufacturers need to maintain some cash to continue to operate in the lean years (like Ford, unlike GM and Chrysler).

BL: Before I say that prices are ridiculous I'll need to see all the facts to know what I'm talking about.
Boats haven't followed the economy at all. They have gone while everyone's income has been decreased. Well almost everyone's. the dredges of society get more free stuff than ever nowadays so they have gotten raises along with the politicians who don't become part of the programs they institute for everyone else.
Old    Brad Riddick (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-05-2013, 11:28 AM Reply   
http://www.marineproductscorp.com/Pr...&Validate=3&I=

That will give you a rough idea.
Old    Chris Walker (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-05-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
Here is some industry wide sales figures. Rolling average so if 10,000 were sold in 2008, today would only be about 5,000. - (just estimating I don't have exact# infront of me) That's why prices are thru the roof. http://www.info-link.com/BellwetherR...iBoat&time1=12
Attached Images
 

Last edited by redsupralaunch; 09-05-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: note on estimate
Old    Drew Tinker (Supravol22)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-05-2013, 11:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddick View Post

Dude is that the same website that we included in that Finance Paper? HA. That thing was A+ material
Old    Brad Riddick (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-06-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supravol22 View Post
Dude is that the same website that we included in that Finance Paper? HA. That thing was A+ material
Oh yeah! It's really intuitive. Like an Iphone.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:04 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us