Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Boarder85 (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       08-20-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
I'm very happily employed, however lately I have been looking for something a little closer to home (my office is 2 hours away) for some long term stability. I was contacted by one of the largest home builders in the county for a Land Development PM position - local (I can carpool with my wife). Not being one to shy from a potential opportunity, I said I was interested. So far the interview process has been seemingly necessarily long and time consuming. This is how it has been so far:

1) Company (actually 3rd party staffing company) calls me, does a 20 minute phone screening/pre interview with some canned questions. I.E. - why are you interested in our company? Describe your best manager? What are you looking for in an employer?

2) Staffing company says they would like to set me up for a pre-employment test at the company's main office. Ugh, one of these "personality" tests I always seem to fail. OK, no big deal, the office isn't far from my current project.

3) Take test at office, takes an hour, await results.

4) Staffing company calls 3 days later, would like to do a telephone interview. Didn't we already do this? (see step 1). Proceeds to ask same questions in step 1. Staffing company wants to set up in person interview. Ok, I've come this far I might as well meet someone there.

5) Interview with VP of Development. Great interview, lasts over an hour. Talk everything from cost projections to wakeboarding. VP says they are interviewing 9 (really, NINE?!) other candidates and they will call when they narrow down 1 or 2. Alright, I don't really care much. Like I said, I am happily employed. I threw out a high salary number (20% raise) so if it sticks it is worth my time.

6) 2 weeks pass, staffing company calls again. Oh right, I actually almost forgot about this job. They want to bring me in for ANOTHER interview - this time with the division president of said home builder.

7) BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! Before the interview they need a quick screening and quantity take off, so I need to come in one hour early.

Has anyone been through such a rigorous (time wasting) interview process? I'd be half tempted to drop the whole thing all together if it weren't for the fact that a) I dont want to turn down a meeting with a fortune 500 company executive and b) I asked for a ridiculous amount of money which they don't seem to question.
Old    Mik (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-20-2013, 3:10 PM Reply   
My current job went through a recruiting company and was very similar in process. I think it might be the 3rd party trying to bill hours. Not to mention I saw the costs of the process a few months after getting the job and it was almost $30K.
Old    Boarder85 (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       08-20-2013, 3:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
My current job went through a recruiting company and was very similar in process. I think it might be the 3rd party trying to bill hours. Not to mention I saw the costs of the process a few months after getting the job and it was almost $30K.
It's gotta be. I'm just playing along, but if I was in desperate need of a job I would be very annoyed.

I love the interview questions:
List 3 weaknesses - stupid question. I was honest anyways - I said "Im not very organized, I make quick decisions, and I spend too much time volunteering for the needy." They seemed surprised.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? I said, "your boss". Haha
Old    Boarder85 (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       08-20-2013, 3:16 PM Reply   
I just checked my mail. My first communication with the company was 2 months ago. Talk about a waste of time!
Old    Bobby (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-20-2013, 3:20 PM Reply   
Yea seems redundant but not over the top.

Recently went through interview process to be a financial administrator for a technology consulting firm. Two initial phone screenings by said HR manager. Then one of those personality/knowledge base tests. Then an Initial phone screening by the finance director. Then and in person informal meeting with said director. Same boat she said that they were talking to about 8 people currently. Heard back 2 weeks later to come in to meet with a partner of the firm. Full meal interview with him and the director. Told me I was in the final two. Heard back 3 weeks later to confirm the other person got the job because they had more years of experience.

Had another interview process with an alternative energy trading firm in of all places Omaha, NE (grain belt0. Had an initial phone screening. Then had an in person interview with staff traders at a job fair near my home. Had a then in person interview with the HR director at the same job fair 2 days later. Really liked the company...they flew 4 candidates out to Omaha. Initially went through a full overnight and 8 hour day of interview with 6-7 people. They called me 2 weeks later and said their trading position had been filled but wanted me to come back for more interviews for alternative positions. flew in again for a day and did 3 more interviews. Called me again 2 weeks later to say they went with someone that was closer in proximity. They contacted me 3 weeks after to ask me to come out AGAIN for another position in treasury. I told them if they hadn't hired me already with the amount of interviews and investment they made in me as a candidate then I don't know if I can rely on moving my life for a less than stable environment. Never heard from them again.

Worked with recruiters in the past. I shy away from them. Each experience is similar to yours...long and drawn out and usually underpaid positions.

Long post but yea good luck with that!
Old    Boarder85 (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       08-20-2013, 3:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraf View Post
Yea seems redundant but not over the top.

Recently went through interview process to be a financial administrator for a technology consulting firm. Two initial phone screenings by said HR manager. Then one of those personality/knowledge base tests. Then an Initial phone screening by the finance director. Then and in person informal meeting with said director. Same boat she said that they were talking to about 8 people currently. Heard back 2 weeks later to come in to meet with a partner of the firm. Full meal interview with him and the director. Told me I was in the final two. Heard back 3 weeks later to confirm the other person got the job because they had more years of experience.

Had another interview process with an alternative energy trading firm in of all places Omaha, NE (grain belt0. Had an initial phone screening. Then had an in person interview with staff traders at a job fair near my home. Had a then in person interview with the HR director at the same job fair 2 days later. Really liked the company...they flew 4 candidates out to Omaha. Initially went through a full overnight and 8 hour day of interview with 6-7 people. They called me 2 weeks later and said their trading position had been filled but wanted me to come back for more interviews for alternative positions. flew in again for a day and did 3 more interviews. Called me again 2 weeks later to say they went with someone that was closer in proximity. They contacted me 3 weeks after to ask me to come out AGAIN for another position in treasury. I told them if they hadn't hired me already with the amount of interviews and investment they made in me as a candidate then I don't know if I can rely on moving my life for a less than stable environment. Never heard from them again.

Worked with recruiters in the past. I shy away from them. Each experience is similar to yours...long and drawn out and usually underpaid positions.

Long post but yea good luck with that!
Ok, you win! So far this hasn't been a real inconvenience to me, and I don't really have expectations to get the position, so no harm no foul.
Old    Eric (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-20-2013, 4:36 PM Reply   
Isn't the home building industry about to take a dive? Who knows what to believe any more but the rumor is that money is about to get more expensive and it's going to make it more difficult for people to buy a home. (Note that I kept the politics out of it and just mentioned a basic bit of info that can be easily confirmed). Just saying that I might think about jumping to commercial from residential.
Old    Bobby (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-20-2013, 5:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
Ok, you win! So far this hasn't been a real inconvenience to me, and I don't really have expectations to get the position, so no harm no foul.
Haha wasn't trying to make it a contest...just sharing my experience as well!

Job hunting sucks, and even worse when you don't have a stable job to go back to
Old    Big D (bigdtx)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-21-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
I've been through this kind of thing before. I got tired of screwing around with one company that was doing this crap so when they contacted me for the nth time I told them that I'd just received an offer from another company for a slightly higher salary than we were discussing and I was currently considering the offer.

I told them that I liked their company and they didn't have to get into a bidding war but I felt like the hiring process had gone on long enough and if they wanted to make an offer they needed to go ahead and do it, otherwise "thanks for your time and good luck". They made an offer the next day.

The best way to make someone want something is to tell them they can't have it.
Old    Jason Buffalow (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-21-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
Sounds like a company that really cares about putting the correct person in the correct position to me. Although excessive, seems smart to me. If a potential employee does what they are supposed to and hangs in through the process, it would be a good testament to who they are.

I think it is equally important that you ask a million questions and take notes. I appreciate a perspective employee asking me details about our organization and how we do things.

Good luck.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS Remember - The grass is not always greener.
Old    Boarder85 (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       08-21-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
I'd be taking a big risk in my career with this position. I work in commercial/institutional construction (currently constructing VA Hospital for the Army Corps), so going to residential would be an uncommon career move. My interest has been in Real Estate Development more than Construction. This is why this position interests me - learning more about the development process of a project. The construction part is simple.

About the grass is greener - totally agree. Problem is now, I live in Sacramento and work for a company with the office in the Bay Area. I dont plan on ever living in the Bay Area again, so I need to find something local. Currently my project is in Sacramento, so it works since I spend 100% of my time there. That wont last past December however.
Old    Eubanks (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-21-2013, 2:43 PM Reply   
It seems to be more the norm these days. I was interviewing a bunch recently and had several companies where I had 3-4 interviews before they were able to make a decision.
Old    Clubjoe (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-21-2013, 4:11 PM Reply   
Law enforcement: 6 months to a year hiring process

After you turn in your 15 page resume'/questionnaire about your entire life.....

-Aptitude test
-Top scores get a panel interview
-Finalists get second interview with dept heads
-Finalists take pass/fail physical agility
-Pass? Department of Justice background check
-Pass? PD background check. They talk to everyone you know/knew (especially ex's and old neighbors) negative interviews result in more interviews with people -they- know. Any found errors/omissions on your resume' disqualifies you.
-Survived the ex? Drug screen
-Pass? Psych eval (about 6 hours of question forms
-Pass? Interview with headshrinker
-Pass? 4 month, 8 to 5 academy which includes about 42+ tests (must pass all or you're out)
- Pass? Congrats! You have the job... 3 month OTJ training and 1yr probation (they can let you go for no reason)

Our department has quarterly range quals you must pass to stay employed...

Holster drills:
10' - 1.5 sec to draw from a locking holster and fire two shots
20' - 2.0 sec from holster, two shots
30' - 6.0 sec from holster, two shots, change mag and fire two more
60' - 4.0 sec from holster, two shots

Target has 6" bullseye, in a platter sized area for 1 point off, on torso for 4 points off. A miss is 10 points off.

Every 1/4 second over time costs you a point.. Three tries must net you at least two 80 scores to pass. Occasional pass/fail shoot/no shoot combat courses.

Lucky me! Now I get to put on a bullet proof vest and try to solve everyone's lifetime problems in 20 minutes... BTW good luck!

Last edited by clubjoe; 08-21-2013 at 4:20 PM. Reason: ...
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-21-2013, 6:26 PM Reply   
I wish I had more time to really add some value to this thread but I have been an executive recruiter for the last 20 years. Recruiters are paid commission most of them 100% commission - not hourly. Recruiters want it over faster than you do. Each company, no matter how much we advise them, will conduct a disjointed interview process 75% of time. Be leery of those companies that don't invest time in the interview process. It feels good to be wanted but if you aren't serious don't mislead them. This company is investing a lot of money in this process - it means a lot to them (recruiter fees, assessment fees, interview time from their executives, etc.)

I have clients that have people meet 18 people - it is that important to them. You spend more time with the people at work than you do with your wife/husband so the investment of time should only turn you on more - even if you are a passive candidate. If they can't make up their mind that is a different problem but you don't appear to be at that point yet.
Old    Boarder85 (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       08-22-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubjoe View Post
Law enforcement: 6 months to a year hiring process

After you turn in your 15 page resume'/questionnaire about your entire life.....

-Aptitude test
-Top scores get a panel interview
-Finalists get second interview with dept heads
-Finalists take pass/fail physical agility
-Pass? Department of Justice background check
-Pass? PD background check. They talk to everyone you know/knew (especially ex's and old neighbors) negative interviews result in more interviews with people -they- know. Any found errors/omissions on your resume' disqualifies you.
-Survived the ex? Drug screen
-Pass? Psych eval (about 6 hours of question forms
-Pass? Interview with headshrinker
-Pass? 4 month, 8 to 5 academy which includes about 42+ tests (must pass all or you're out)
- Pass? Congrats! You have the job... 3 month OTJ training and 1yr probation (they can let you go for no reason)

!
My wife went through this whole process while we were engaged about two years ago. She got her conditional offer, up to the psych, after her background investigator came to our house, and was told that since our wedding fell on her academy date she can't be guaranteed the date we had reserved for the wedding. She removed herself from the process after about 6 months.
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-22-2013, 12:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
I've been through this kind of thing before. I got tired of screwing around with one company that was doing this crap so when they contacted me for the nth time I told them that I'd just received an offer from another company for a slightly higher salary than we were discussing and I was currently considering the offer.

I told them that I liked their company and they didn't have to get into a bidding war but I felt like the hiring process had gone on long enough and if they wanted to make an offer they needed to go ahead and do it, otherwise "thanks for your time and good luck". They made an offer the next day.

The best way to make someone want something is to tell them they can't have it.
I strongly disagree with this advice.
Old    Big D (bigdtx)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-22-2013, 7:19 PM Reply   
> I strongly disagree with this advice.

As a recruiter I bet you do! As the "talent" in the equation I get tired of getting jerked around. I never liked anyone negotiating on my behalf anyway so no harm no foul - and by the way - that tactic is as old as dirt - because it works.
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
> I strongly disagree with this advice.

As a recruiter I bet you do! As the "talent" in the equation I get tired of getting jerked around. I never liked anyone negotiating on my behalf anyway so no harm no foul - and by the way - that tactic is as old as dirt - because it works.
This is just a very unsophisticated view and approach/response to this kind of situation. As I recruiter, the sooner it is over the better. So if you think I/we have anything to lose with your approach you are wrong. If you think your approach is more successful that the alternatives you are wrong - you can't argue with the data. If you think that breaking glass is the simpler and more effective approach than opening the door (both have the same end result) than your views are simply naive and uneducated.
Old    Ryan Bedford (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-23-2013, 10:57 AM Reply   
LOL- 6 months? Pfft... My current job, the total job interview proccess was 3 years. My manager and I counted and we guessed it was over 50 interviews, half phone and the other half face to face. Well worth it, but it was a very long process.
Old    Big D (bigdtx)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-23-2013, 1:01 PM Reply   
> This is just a very unsophisticated view and approach/response to this kind of situation.

Probably should have been clearer up front - I was not working with a recruiter in that particular situation. I have worked with recruiters in the past and have two views of them really - if they are working on securing you a full-time position then I look at them like an agent - they want the best deal for me as that gets them the biggest commission - I'm all for that. When looking at a consulting / contracting gig (which I'd never do again), I've consistently had them try to screw me on hourly and billables because again - it puts more money in their pocket. I've been self employed for quite a while now so I no longer have to deal with any of that but my point was that sometimes you have to get tough in a negotiation to get the other party off their ass.
Old    Danny D (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-23-2013, 1:38 PM Reply   
Personally, I would rather a company was overly cautious with who they hire than the opposite. It shows:

1) they care about their employees and culture
2) they plan on investing capital in you
3) They can afford to be picky
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2013, 3:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
> This is just a very unsophisticated view and approach/response to this kind of situation.

Probably should have been clearer up front - I was not working with a recruiter in that particular situation. I have worked with recruiters in the past and have two views of them really - if they are working on securing you a full-time position then I look at them like an agent - they want the best deal for me as that gets them the biggest commission - I'm all for that. When looking at a consulting / contracting gig (which I'd never do again), I've consistently had them try to screw me on hourly and billables because again - it puts more money in their pocket. I've been self employed for quite a while now so I no longer have to deal with any of that but my point was that sometimes you have to get tough in a negotiation to get the other party off their ass.

That makes sense. I am lucky enough to work at one of the elite search firms in the world and I also need to remember that many recruiters are shady. This industry has a very low barrier to entry (phone/email/linkedin account) and it attracts some shady people. Working at the top of organizations we don't have to interact with them but I have heard my fair share of recruiter horror stories.
Old    C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-26-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
I hate those big recruiting firms. The last time I walked into one, they asked me to take some kind of MS Office competency test, and I walked out. Did you not read my resume?
Old    Mark (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-26-2013, 6:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I hate those big recruiting firms. The last time I walked into one, they asked me to take some kind of MS Office competency test, and I walked out. Did you not read my resume?
Jarrod I find this funny. I have been in IT for 15 years now and those tests pop up from time to time and I have the same type of response as you. An old boss of mine where discussing this one day and he had something similar happen to him. He had a different response though and took the test and scored top 1%. So when they called him in to make the offer he said it would only be fair if you gave me top 1% for my job title. They no longer liked him at that price.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:55 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us