I live in FM area, I probably even talked to you a few times looking for boats.
Brian you already know the area better than most on here, ie...
- That area is basically 100% cabin business.
- Few people trailer wake boats weekly, at most they have them parked on a lot somewhere by their "spot."
- There is virtually no resort business.
- The only competition locally is Nautique and the MC/Moomba dealers.
- The season is short.
- Many wake boats out there today are for family show and some tubing. You don't see too many hard core riders out and about - but a few.
- Your buyers are probably Fergus Falls and North, beyond that south starts getting into MSP territory.
- Oil is so far west and there's not much water out there, so quantity probably isn't going to happen even though the cash to drop on boats is dripping out of peoples pockets.
IMO, Supra, Tige, Malibu/Axis and MB would have a shot here to do well - just like all 3 currently here do well (at least Moomba and MC I guess not sure about Nautique). Also given the advertising spent by your business a new brand would be a good fit.
The promotional events could do well for your branding and the market. I have been wanting those - I will definitely look forward to that - all of your ideas there are great - demo's, instruction, etc. Actually this would probably be a huge driver for you.
Personally I'd like to see a Supra/MB combo if you can make that work - maybe pitch the higher end/more loaded Supra's and lower end, less loaded MB's to spread the price range. The Malibu/Axis is tempting from a brand (Malibu) and value (Axis) standpoint, however I have no idea on working with those businesses.
Both of these situations you can pitch against Nautique and MC and then value vs. local Moomba. I think MB could do very well, ND mentality has some similarities to Texas
Assuming you'll have a service department or at least plan to partner up with another dealer/marina?
And no, don't go into pontoons or fishing boats - everyone and their brother sells those... but you know that already.