Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    Mispella (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-21-2015, 6:17 AM Reply   
I am in the market for a new TV any opinions on the new curved TVs. are they worth it for a everday TV or should they be for home theaters only? what do you guys have and how do you like it..
looking at these 2 right now Samsung - 55" Class (54-5/8" Diag.) - LED - Curved - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV & Sony - 65" Class (64-1/2" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 3D - 4K Ultra HD TV
Old    Mispella (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-21-2015, 6:19 AM Reply   
or this one off EBay
Samsung UN75H6350 75-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV
Old    Nick Tomsyck (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-21-2015, 12:29 PM Reply   
If you go for 4k, make sure it has HDMI 2.0 or you'll be unhappy.

The Vizio P-series is a pretty sweet TV for the money.
Old    Mispella (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-21-2015, 3:24 PM Reply   
cool thanks I will check it out
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-21-2015, 6:46 PM Reply   
If you go 4k, make sure you go 65" or bigger or you're wasting your money.
90% of people cannot even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p until you hit that size. The screens are small enough the pixel density is negligible.
Also, there are virtually no tv service options for 4k. Most channels don't even broadcast in 1080p because of the above reason. Most broadcast their source in either 720p or 1080i because of cost vs benefit is not there. Don't expect to see any 4k options anytime soon. 1080p has been out forever and still isn't being broadcast.
You are basically throwing down for super hi-def youtube videos and a handful of blu-rays atm, which you may be able to tell the difference on if you get a big enough screen in the right conditions.

Personally I'd buy a quality brand LED HDTV and call it a day. The curved thing is such a gimmick too. Just saying.

I see more tvs from cheapos to ridiculously expensive in use on a daily basis and can honestly let you know what you what is worth it and what you'd be pissing your money away on.

EDIT: Any current TV, not cheap brands made from leftover stock another manufacturer ditched, is going to be HDMI 2.0 (high speed, or hdmi with ethernet)

Last edited by phathom; 03-21-2015 at 6:48 PM.
Old    GD (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-21-2015, 8:31 PM Reply   
CURVED is great if you are sitting in the middle and you have no lights reflecting from behind you. IMO, it's a gimmick that needs to die.
Attached Images

Old    Brett W (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2015, 7:40 AM Reply   
I need a new tv soon as well. Some Fry's sales guy recently was telling me stuff about nanocrystals, and now I've just read an article in Popular Science saying it's the latest and greatest, so that's something I may look into. I did just come across these:

http://www.woot.com/plus/samsung-4k-led-smart-tvs

$1699 for a 4K 65" seems like a pretty good deal.
Old    Darrin (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-23-2015, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
CURVED is great if you are sitting in the middle and you have no lights reflecting from behind you. IMO, it's a gimmick that needs to die.
Iím not sold on the curved TVís yet either. Most of our flat screens are mounted on the wall and to have it curving out away from the wall is ugly IMO. Too gimmicky.

4K is the next step in technology but any broadcast and/ or media that could utilize this technology is very limited currently. A 240mhz LED is the best bang for the buck out there right now. I will wait for some of these other technologies to vet themselves out first.
Old    Darrin (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-23-2015, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
If you go 4k, make sure you go 65" or bigger or you're wasting your money.
90% of people cannot even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p until you hit that size. The screens are small enough the pixel density is negligible.
Also, there are virtually no tv service options for 4k. Most channels don't even broadcast in 1080p because of the above reason. Most broadcast their source in either 720p or 1080i because of cost vs benefit is not there. Don't expect to see any 4k options anytime soon. 1080p has been out forever and still isn't being broadcast.
You are basically throwing down for super hi-def youtube videos and a handful of blu-rays atm, which you may be able to tell the difference on if you get a big enough screen in the right conditions.

Personally I'd buy a quality brand LED HDTV and call it a day. The curved thing is such a gimmick too. Just saying.

I see more tvs from cheapos to ridiculously expensive in use on a daily basis and can honestly let you know what you what is worth it and what you'd be pissing your money away on.

EDIT: Any current TV, not cheap brands made from leftover stock another manufacturer ditched, is going to be HDMI 2.0 (high speed, or hdmi with ethernet)
I agree with most of what you stated but itís actually very easy to see the difference between 720p & 1080 i or p IMO even on small ones down to 24".

For you Comcast customers that have the X1 or newer platforms make sure you go into the device preferences for your box and set it up for 1080p or 1080i to get the best possible broadcast. They do vary in quality from channel to channel even on the HD channels. I found that all of our boxes came from Comcast set to default to 720p and in zoom mode. They are also set to stereo, not surround in the audio settings so for those of you running through a home theater system your Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1 will not work and your receiver will default to a simulated surround. We use HDMI (original or 2.0 depending on the age of the TV) for all TVís and optical out for audio in the rooms with home theater. If youíre not using HDMI then you wonít get the best picture regardless of what type of HDTV you buy.
Old    GD (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-23-2015, 9:33 AM Reply   
My brother inlaw and I got a new Samsung 60" TVs at the same time. I was at his house wondering why his picture seemed better than ours. It was because our ATT is at 720 while his DishNetwork is at 1080. So, yes, 1020 is noticeably better than 720. It's also readily apparent that today's non-4K content is noticeably richer on 4K vs 1080 when looking at the TVs at Costco. So, 4K has merit even though content is lacking and 8K is on the way.
Old    Big D (bigdtx)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-23-2015, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
My brother inlaw and I got a new Samsung 60" TVs at the same time. I was at his house wondering why his picture seemed better than ours. It was because our ATT is at 720 while his DishNetwork is at 1080. So, yes, 1020 is noticeably better than 720. It's also readily apparent that today's non-4K content is noticeably richer on 4K vs 1080 when looking at the TVs at Costco. So, 4K has merit even though content is lacking and 8K is on the way.
Yep. Verizon is at 720p and my XBMC box serves up 1080p - difference is quite noticeable.
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-23-2015, 11:31 AM Reply   
Here's a link that actually puts out the scale and benefit of resolution and screen size based on viewing distance.

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

The resolution does matter, as does the size, but also the viewing distance. The closer you are to the screen, the more you are going to notice the distance based on resolution and screen size.

You can also run the calculator towards the bottom of the page to show what distance you need to be positioned to see the benefit of the higher resolution at any given screen size.

ďI donít like reading charts Ė just tell me what resolution I needĒ

If you donít like reading charts and are looking for a quick answer, enter you screen size below to see how close youíll need to sit to fully appreciate various screen resolution differences. Here is the info for a 65" TV

Enter screen size: 65 inches diagonal
For 480p (720◊480) resolution, you must sit 19 feet or closer to see all available detail
For 720p (1280◊720) resolution, you must sit 13 feet or closer to see all available detail
For 1080p (1920◊1080) resolution, you must sit 8 feet or closer to see all available detail
For 4k (3840◊2160) resolution, you must sit 4 feet or closer to see all available detail
For 8k (7680◊4320) resolution, you must sit 2 feet or closer to see all available detail

The average is within 10-15 feet for most people's living rooms.
For 10 feet away, you would need a 155" 4k tv to see all the available detail provided by it. Practical at home? No, maybe for a home theater room.

Another source as well, it also has another, maybe easier to read chart on it that gives you a range rather than concrete numbers.

http://referencehometheater.com/2013...4k-calculator/

As you can see, if you are more than 10' away on a 50" screen, most are not going to see the difference in detail between 720p and 1080p. The same applies between 1080p and 4k, but at 6 1/2 feet. The bigger screen you get, the farther away you can be and notice the difference in the details.

Really, if you're going for a higher resolution TV, go big or go home.

Also, for Comcast customers without X1, you can change the resolution on your HD/DVR boxes. On some there is a format button on the front of the box. Toggling this will switch between the different resolutions available.
On all of them you are able to go into the back menu (turn the power off and immediately hit menu) it gives you the option to change your resolution options for HD and SD channels.
It's always been there, it just got easier with X1.
Old    Wes (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-23-2015, 12:31 PM Reply   
I'm on the fence about this one: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9...rds=90-inch+tv

The amazon reviews have been very helpful though.
Old    GD (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-23-2015, 1:43 PM Reply   
Hey, it's only $40K and will be outdated in 3 to 5 years!
Old    Nacho (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       03-23-2015, 2:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
I'm on the fence about this one: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9...rds=90-inch+tv

The amazon reviews have been very helpful though.
hilarious. although, i'm surprised they've been left on the site
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-23-2015, 10:11 PM Reply   
Amazon loves hilarious reviews.

google "Three wolf moon" or "Haribo sugarfree gummie bears" You will love those reviews.
Also, the reviews for the 55-gallon barrel of lube is awesome, particularly the birthday party of death one.
Old    Ian Brown (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       03-25-2015, 9:27 AM Reply   
IMO the Samsungs are the best. Bought this model (Samsung PN64F8500 ) last year and am very happy.
Old    Boarder 42 (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-25-2015, 11:19 AM Reply   
what are you basing the Samsungs are the best opinion on ... i assume you have viewed all TV brands for 100s of hour to come to this opinion.
Old    Surf Addict (Desi) (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-25-2015, 2:23 PM Reply   
It might be on the fact that Samsungs are one of the only manufacturers that actually manufacturer their own display screens, Samsung, LG, Sharp, and Hitachi.

Just because they make their own screens though, doesn't mean they use them in all their TVs. Samsung makes their own, but they also outsource them. My thought process is that they use their own screens, where quality matters, on the higher end models, whereas the lower end models get outsourced. It also doesn't mean that those brands are going to give you better picture, as that same display could also be outsourced in another manufacturer. Really without pulling the whitepapers on each individual model you're considering, you don't know who made the display in your TV.

Here is a list of manufacturers of the displays and then who use those displays in their product. This is a list from 2008, so it may have changed some.

LG Display makes displays for: TN, IPS, S-IPS, SA-IPS, H-IPS --- Samsung, LGE, Philips, Vizo, Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, AmTRAN and Skyworth

Sharp Japan makes displays for: ASV (variant of VA) --- Toshiba, Philips, Sony, Pioneer (LCD) and Sharp

Chi Mei Optoelectronics makes displays for: TN, S-MVA and LCS MVA --- Samsung, Philips, Funai, LGE, Toshiba and Sony

AU Optronics makes displays for: TN, P-MVA and A-MVA --- Sony, Samsung, Philips, LGE, Toshiba, Proview, Panasonic

Chunghwa Picture Tubes makes displays for: TN and MVA variant --- Sony, Samsung and Konka

Samsung SDI makes displays for: TN, PVA and S-PVA -- JVC, Samsung, Sony, Philips, Sanyo and Panasonic

Wistron Optronics makes displays for: Unknown --- Sony

IPS Alpha Technology (Hitachi-Matsupoopa) makes displays for: IPS Pro --- Hitachi and Panasonic

Delta Electronics makes displays for: Unknown

TPV Technology Limited makes displays for: Unknown
Old    Mispella (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-05-2015, 8:08 AM Reply   
ended up getting a 55" samsung F6400 series thanks for the advice