Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Hank (summerboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-30-2013, 8:07 PM Reply   
Need a little help here folks. Considering a 2012 Centurion Enzo 233. Boat has the optional Right Surf Drive Option installed which is designed to create a clean surf wake on the right side of the boat for the goofy surfers among us. My question is, does this option diminish the quality of the left side wake? I've heard mixed answers and wonder if anyone out there has had direct experience with this. I haven't driven the boat yet and am anxious to see for myself, but would like to know what to expect. Would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Also, I boat on a large lake in New England. While quiet coves are plentiful for all sorts of wake activities, 2-3' chop isn't uncommon while transiting the main body of the lake. Consequently, I'm looking for something that offers a decent ride in rough waters while getting from point A to point B without sacrificing a good surf wake once I get there. I loved Tige, but the ride in the open waters almost cost me my teeth. Previous Centurions I've been on have handled the rough ride very well. Any other brands that warrant serious consideration?
Old    TigeMike (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-01-2013, 6:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
I loved Tige, but the ride in the open waters almost cost me my teeth. Previous Centurions I've been on have handled the rough ride very well. Any other brands that warrant serious consideration
Which Tige year/model are you referring to, and have you driven any other Tiges or Centurions in the conditions you plan to be in on a regular basis?
Old    RB (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-01-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
Thought the same thing Mike, Tiges are known to be one of the best rough water boats out there.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-01-2013, 11:12 AM Reply   
I have a right hand rotation 233. It seems to take more counterweight to clean up the starboard wave. I was frustrated trying to get it dialed in the first couple of times out, but after we figured out the weighting, the wave was beautiful. I can ride switch as well as my goofy native, and I thought the wave was beautiful.

So, the short of it:

1) With similar weighting on either side, the starboard wave will not be of the quality of the port wave on a right hand drive boat.
2) You will need some more weight in the boat, in my experience, across both sides to get a clean wave
3) Once you figure out the weighting, you will have beautiful waves on both sides.

Regards to the rough water abilities of the Enzo. It is bad ass. Plain and simple. Never been in a wakeboard boat that carves through chop like the Enzo. I think it is a direct relation to the super deep V hull. The flatter the hull, the more knocks, I think. All wakeboard boats have a V hull, but look at an Enzo transom or Supreme and compare it to others and you'll see the difference.

You should go to centurioncrew.com to get some other opinions.
You will want to buy probably (2) 400 pound and (1) 750 pound fly high to make the necessary weight changes to clean up both sides and run with quality big waves.

Last edited by CarZin; 07-01-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old    Hank (summerboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 1:32 PM Reply   
Tige was a 2013 RZ2. Beautiful boat, but came down hard off the chop.
Old    RB (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-01-2013, 1:36 PM Reply   
What are you comparing that to? An I/O? Go Fast Cigarette? RZ2's are on the better side of rough water boats as far as Vdrive/ Inboards go. I'd make sure you drive that Certurion in the same conditions you said the RZ2 was horrible in. Centurion and Tige are known to be 2 of the best in rough water. I have a feeling you may have unreal expectations based on the Tige almost cost me my teeth comment. The Enzo may be a hair better, but it sure won't be night and day.
Old    TigeMike (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-01-2013, 2:04 PM Reply   
Hank, I would agree that a pickle-fork, such the RZ2, will have a rougher ride in chop than a boat of equivalent size with a traditional bow. This is true across the board as its about the hull and bow shape in order to get that wide open bow known as the "pickle". In that case, I would suggest looking at the Tige Z1 or Z3 or other traditional bow boats.
Old    Hank (summerboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-02-2013, 1:40 PM Reply   
OK, so I drove the Centurion. Conditions were actually worse than when on the drive with the RZ2. Sorry Mike and RB, but it WAS like night and day. The Enzo sliced through the chop much better than the Tige. I don't have an axe to grind here and I'm not trying to dis anyone's boat, just trying to find the right ride for the conditions I find myself in. For the record, I think the Tige is a beautiful boat and throws a great wake, just not the boat for me.

Now, we've gotten a bit off track from the original question I posed when I opened this thread: With the exception of CarZin (thanks CZ, BTW), above, anyone have any experience with Centurion's Right Surf Drive? Love the idea of providing a nice starboard side wave for my goofy foot friends, just not necessarily at the expense of the left.
Old    Matthew Smith (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-03-2013, 5:00 AM Reply   
Hank,
I am glad ypu have seen one of the benefits of the deep V Hull on the Centurion Enzo's. The wake are naturally better on one side vs, the other per the prop rotation. Although your Port side will not be as clean, it will have the same drive & push to make it an awesome Surf wake, just not as pretty.
I am a Goofy owner & would kill for that option but my boat is a LH. Check out my Goofy wake though, you can make your Port look like this!

This is stock Ballast with only 4 kids in the boat. No Exposed fat sacs. We have a 2012 233 also
Attached Images
 
Old    TigeMike (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-03-2013, 6:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerboarder View Post
OK, so I drove the Centurion. Conditions were actually worse than when on the drive with the RZ2. Sorry Mike and RB, but it WAS like night and day. The Enzo sliced through the chop much better than the Tige. I don't have an axe to grind here and I'm not trying to dis anyone's boat, just trying to find the right ride for the conditions I find myself in. For the record, I think the Tige is a beautiful boat and throws a great wake, just not the boat for me.

Now, we've gotten a bit off track from the original question I posed when I opened this thread: With the exception of CarZin (thanks CZ, BTW), above, anyone have any experience with Centurion's Right Surf Drive? Love the idea of providing a nice starboard side wave for my goofy foot friends, just not necessarily at the expense of the left.
Not sure what the "sorry" is about, thats exactly what I told you A pickle-fork boat, regardless of brand, is a rougher ride then a traditional bow bow, like the ENZO you just drove. Now, go test drive a non-pickle-fork bow Tige, like the Z3 and see how it compares to the ride of the RZ2. You give a blanket statement that "Tige" is not the right boat for you, after driving 1 model. I think its fair to say that a pickle-fork bow boat is not the right boat for you.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-03-2013, 7:22 AM Reply   
I will say that unless the deal on the Enzo is absolutely a killer deal, just make your life a lot easier and buy an Enzo with the left hand rotation and stop worrying about it
Old    Matthew Smith (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-03-2013, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Not sure what the "sorry" is about, thats exactly what I told you A pickle-fork boat, regardless of brand, is a rougher ride then a traditional bow bow, like the ENZO you just drove. Now, go test drive a non-pickle-fork bow Tige, like the Z3 and see how it compares to the ride of the RZ2. You give a blanket statement that "Tige" is not the right boat for you, after driving 1 model. I think its fair to say that a pickle-fork bow boat is not the right boat for you.
Mike,
Just curious, cause I don't understand. How does the top deck shape bow of a certain boat affect how the lower hull rides through the water? From my understanding, it would primarily be the running surface that would cause how the boat rides through the water, not the shape of the bow. I would understand if the running surface were different. Thanks for your help.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-03-2013, 7:42 PM Reply   
I can see what Mike is saying. With a picklefork boat the hull lines that go out to the points create a flat spot that may make the boat bounce off the top of the water instead of cutting through it. I would be interested in seeing a few different picklefork boats up on plane and at different speeds to see if it looks like that wider bow area even comes in contact with the water surface.
Old    TigeMike (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-03-2013, 7:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKASurfing View Post
Mike,
Just curious, cause I don't understand. How does the top deck shape bow of a certain boat affect how the lower hull rides through the water? From my understanding, it would primarily be the running surface that would cause how the boat rides through the water, not the shape of the bow. I would understand if the running surface were different. Thanks for your help.
If you look at a typical pickle-fork boat and a traditional nosed boat, you will see that its not a simple deck difference. In the case of the Tige RZ and Ve hulls, the forward hull of those two boats are drastically different. In the case of the Malibu MXZ, its a different hull then any other Malibu. Same with the MC, Moomba Mojo, MB B52, G series from CC. The bows are wider and more blunt at the water line, not just a wider bow above the rub rail. This will and does, effect the ride quality in rough water.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:25 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us