Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-07-2013, 7:23 PM Reply   
My wife and I just purchased a 99 vlx sunsetter with what I assume is the stock cd player. When I turn the "stereo" knob, the cd player lights up and seems to function properly except for the fact that no sound comes out. Since the unit is getting power, it makes me think all of the fuses are fine. I unplugged and then plugged back in the wiring harness, but that didn't do anything. I've also tried turning the stereo knob and both accessory knobs as well. That didn't do anything either. All equipment is stock. No additional speaks or amps have been added. Any thoughts?


Last edited by petrie141; 06-07-2013 at 7:28 PM. Reason: clarification
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-08-2013, 5:29 AM Reply   
That would be referred to as a head unit, not a "CD Player." The CD Player is the part of the head unit that, as you already guessed, plays CD's.

If it is powering up, next step is to check the wiring. Are you using an amp to drive the speakers or just off the head unit?
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-08-2013, 5:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
That would be referred to as a head unit, not a "CD Player." The CD Player is the part of the head unit that, as you already guessed, plays CD's.

If it is powering up, next step is to check the wiring. Are you using an amp to drive the speakers or just off the head unit?
Just off the head unit. I've searched high and low to find an amp, there isn't one in the boat.
Old    RB (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-08-2013, 5:58 AM Reply   
The last one I had go out was in the volume knob itself. First it would turn up, but then not back down shortly after that it stopped doing anything. Does the volume appear to go up and down on the screen as you turn the knob(numbers or lights go up and down)?
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-08-2013, 7:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrie141 View Post
Just off the head unit. I've searched high and low to find an amp, there isn't one in the boat.
Grab a known good speaker, wire it to one of speaker outputs and test. If works, wiring issue. If not, likely head unit issue. It wouldn't cost much to buy a similar newer head unit - budget $50 tops.
Old    Russ Constable (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-08-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
simple stuff but :

is the mute button turned on?
have you checked the fader settings to make sure it is not maybe turned all the way to one side?
you probably have multiple input sources (CD, AM/FM, Aux, etc...) Is the input source set to CD?
Old    Earmark Marine (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-08-2013, 8:30 AM Reply   
Verify there is no amplifier by inspecting the empty RCAs on the back of the chassis.
Find a reset. Do a hard reset.
Disconnect ALL speakers and use a single test speaker.
Unplug any hardwired remote control.
Clean the contacts on the back of the removable face and the corresponding chassis contacts. Be careful as they as delicate. A pencil eraser and spray can contact/tuner cleaner will do.
Check the manual for any default setting after a sustained power loss and every front panel function.
There is an ign/acc lead and a memory lead. Confirm both have power with a multimeter.
Confirm continuity on the ground.
Have it bench tested at a local store where you can purchase a replacement.

David
Earmark Marine
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-08-2013, 2:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightv10 View Post
simple stuff but :

is the mute button turned on?
have you checked the fader settings to make sure it is not maybe turned all the way to one side?
you probably have multiple input sources (CD, AM/FM, Aux, etc...) Is the input source set to CD?
I I checked the mute button, it doesn't do anything. When I turn the volume knob, a series of bars show up (one bar is lowest volume, a lot of bars highest volume). When I use the knob, the bars go up and down accordingly. The input source was set to CD when I put a CD in it. And then I switched it to am/fm but no luck.
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-08-2013, 2:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
Verify there is no amplifier by inspecting the empty RCAs on the back of the chassis.
Find a reset. Do a hard reset.
Disconnect ALL speakers and use a single test speaker.
Unplug any hardwired remote control.
Clean the contacts on the back of the removable face and the corresponding chassis contacts. Be careful as they as delicate. A pencil eraser and spray can contact/tuner cleaner will do.
Check the manual for any default setting after a sustained power loss and every front panel function.
There is an ign/acc lead and a memory lead. Confirm both have power with a multimeter.
Confirm continuity on the ground.
Have it bench tested at a local store where you can purchase a replacement.

David
Earmark Marine
Thanks for the ideas, David. When I get done with the weekends activities I'll make sure to find a working speaker and test it out.
Old    Matt (Launch22)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-09-2013, 6:42 PM Reply   
I had the same problem with mine last week. Is was the wired remote on the swim platform. I have two, one on the lower right side of the dash under the key and one on the swim area. I disconnected both of them and it started working. I plugged them back in one at a time to find out which one was dragging the system down.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us