Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-07-2013, 2:17 PM Reply   
Hey guys, been a long winter here in WI and seemingly everywhere but finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as the warm weather rolls in.

Anyways, I was looking for some input on the Colorado (denver & surrounding) wake scene as well Mile High Wake. I'll be moving sometime at the end of July or early August and am hoping can get some quality riding in an area I'm unfamiliar with.

Thanks,

Tyler
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2013, 8:03 PM Reply   
Hey Tyler, congrats on getting out of the midwest! Originally from Illinois but have been riding in colorado for 2.5 seasons now, working at Mile High Cable Park in Milliken, CO when my fractured ankle finally heals. Definitely suggest coming up to the park, bunch of features (kickers, boxes, a frame), new pro shop, best beach in Colorado, couple tournaments this summer as well.... It would be your best bet to link up with other riders. Boat riding is awesome here, the situation though is most of the lakes around Denver are public/tiny= rough as hell or private= gotta know somebody, but people are really friendly. heck my first summer, i would be on the boat ramp at cherry creek reservoir with a 5 gallon can and my gear, never had a problem flagging down a ride.

Cheers
Old     (burn229)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-07-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
The wakeboard scene in Colorado is pretty laid back. It's close knit community. Kind of like the small town where everyone knows everyone. One piece of advice I will give... be sure to move to the northern front range. Greeley, Loveland, Fort Collins etc because all the small private lakes are up that way and Mile High Wake Park is up there to. You will need to get on a private lake and spend $3k if you want good water. I'm not saying you can't find a nice private lake close to downtown Denver it's just most of those lakes have long waiting list. If you plan on going on a public lake don't waste your time or plan to be on the water as soon as the sun comes up. Public lakes in Colorado are tough to swallow with boat traffic and wind. Colorado is a windy state if you didn't know.

Mile High Wakeboarding is an awesome camp/park. The founder has done a lot for the growth of the sport in Colorado. He is a great guy and coach as well. I've been to a few of the well known camps in Florida and I can honestly tell you I've had better coaching advice from Mile High in some cases. I strongly encourage you to drop by the cable park when you move just so you can meet other riders. If you can't commit to that at least go to their events to meet people you can ride with. Most of people I would ride with back there I met through Mile High. There is also the Mile High Meet and Greet in May/June which is not part of Mile High Wakeboarding. That is another great event to meet people at. I'm sure one of the organizers that is active on the forums can chime in.

If you don't have a boat or want to spend the coin on a private lake I would seriously consider getting a pass to Mile High Wake Park. You should call them though because I know they limit how many season pass holders they have.

Before I moved to Florida the season for us there was April-October with wetsuits.

Hopefully this helps out.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-08-2013, 4:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. It looks like Mile High is about 40min outside of Denver? Not too bad of a commute.

I have a friend in Denver I'll be living with so my location is set for the time being. I didn't realize Denver or CO was windy like you had stated, can you ever find calm water to ride in and does MH have a boat lake? I'll be back in the area the second weekend in June and can maybe take a drive up and check it out.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       05-08-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
Yeah the drive isn't bad at all on I-25 or Highway 85 depending on whether your in eastern or western Denver. Unfortunately, the wind can get whipping up due to it coming over the mountains, but yes you can find calm water. MH does have a couple boat lakes that boat lessons/rentals are held on, check out the website for details on that (milehighwakeboarding.com) under the boat lessons or boat rentals tab depending on waht your looking for.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-08-2013, 6:34 AM Reply   
Like the others said to get really good water you need to be on a private lake but look to pay around $3000 for that. I live 5min form the north end of Horsetooth in ft collins. if you want good water plan on being on the lake no later than 6 this will give you a couple of good hrs of riding before the lake gets rough. then its time to go chill in the coves(wich can be pretty intertaining some days)
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2013, 8:35 AM Reply   
The big negatives of most of the private is they are tiny, and most are one at a time, except empire. There are some good front range lakes you just have to look for them. Cherry creek and chatfield are the worst.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-08-2013, 9:33 AM Reply   
Ditto everything they said. If you ride here then you're probably committed because finding a place to go is tough and / or expensive. Cherry Creek and Chatfield convinced me to sell the boat I brought here from MN. I got back in with a new boat on a lake that requires an annual permit with various restrictions but it still gets too busy on evenings and weekends. If you see a lake here that looks like the perfect ride then you can bet that they don't allow motorized boats or wakeboarding. Colorado is weird about it's water and I think the states of Kansas and Arizona own most of it.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-08-2013, 12:35 PM Reply   
Looks like I may transform into a cable rat haha
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2013, 12:45 PM Reply   
There is plenty of great water to be had, hell I haven't even been tempted to hit the cable park up north. You just have to learn the lakes. I'm on standley and we get great water weekday afternoons, most of saturday and Sunday morning. There is some wind, but last year was a bit out of the ordinary. Just a few ours north you have places like glendo that you can find good water on jsut about all the time barring some big storm
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-10-2013, 12:55 PM Reply   
If you want good water in CO you have to be willing to sacrifice for it. On the water at sun up and either stay all day and ride again at sunset or pull off and come back for sunset. It is kind of like getting a powder day in the mountains. You can't show up and noon and expect to get the best conditions. We ride plenty of great water all summer long but we are always one of the first boats on the lake.