Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-05-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
For about 6 months now, I've struggled with battery issues which ultimately ended up being a bad charger that was over charging my 12V GC lead acid batteries.

I have replaced 3 of the 4 batteries but used the bad charger on them (before I knew it was bad) once which caused them to boil and lose most of the water.

Since then I got a replacement charger and refilled the batteries and everything seems to be good except for the voltage capacity.

I have a voltage meter on the house bank and now the max voltage I've seen with the key off is 12.8V. Last year it was usually around 13.8-14V.

I have verified that the charger is charging at 14.4V. Should I replace the 3 house batteries?

I haven't ran the stereo with the boat off for very long so I really don't know how well the batteries will do but I don't think it will be near as good as it was last year.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-05-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
The batteries resting voltage should be 12.6-12.8V. You should only see 14V+ immediately after taking off the charger. Charge the batteries fully and see what they measure the next day. If 12.6-12.8v they are probably fine. If you have a portable digital multimeter throw play around with it.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-05-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
That 14.4 volts you see on the batteries shortly after a charge is whats called a surface charge. Once taken off with a little load or over time, the at-rest or static charge for a wet cell should be right around 12.8. I think the 13.8-14 volts you saw last year was result of the faulty charger over charging.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-05-2013, 1:46 PM Reply   
Thanks Brett and Mike! I'm hoping the batteries didn't get too damaged the one time I charged them with the bad charger. It took a little over a gallon of distilled water to refill all 3.

I guess we'll see during the season.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-05-2013, 4:45 PM Reply   
It's going to be equally important to know what the minimum resting battery charge (after any type of external charge has had time to dissipate) after a long stay at rest and after the batteries have been depleted.
Yes, you could have been over-charging with a charger that has too large of a capacity or a blunt garage charger and do damage. However, you could also be doing similar damage by depleting the batteries well below 12.0 volts with any repetition.

Earmark Marine


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 3:05 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us