Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-15-2013, 4:37 AM Reply   
Just found out (five months after the Tampa event!) that I qualified for The World's Toughest Mudder contest this November. I know that a lot of people here had done normal Tough Mudder events, GoRuck Challenges or Spartan Races, and that there are quite a few of you who are super into fitness. Has anyone thought about attempting it?

http://toughmudder.com/worlds-toughe...series-finals/
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-16-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
Doing my first tough mudder this year. BTW, congrats on qualifying!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-16-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
Has anyone here completed a GoRuck? If so, huge props.

My boss completed one recently. He said Special Ops and Navy Seals were quitting half way through.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-16-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
After completing the Tough Mudder this article sums up how I feel about it.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/running-...rture-chamber/
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-16-2013, 6:28 PM Reply   
Tough mudders seem like a joke, have lines of 50+ people at obstacles sometimes. Dunno why you would pay 100$ to get held back by all the people not in good enough shape to keep moving through the course
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-16-2013, 6:48 PM Reply   
Dan... I sign up for start times at 9 or earlier and I've never been held up at an obstacle. I agree, it is a joke if you start it at a late start time or walk it. That's just ridiculous, because the whole point is to push yourself and to help others. When you find yourself struggling, it's almost universal that at least one person (usually far more, the camaraderie between strangers is amazing) will step up to help you. While I don't need help at any of the obstacles (I'm 6'6" so the climbing ones that require a team are easily climbable for me alone), I always went out of my way to help out others at the obstacles to get them up and over. I averaged a running time for the first 10 miles of about 8-1/2 minutes a mile (not including time spent navigating obstacles), but my bulged disc and cartilage damaged knee started acting up after something called the Wounded Warrior Carry where you have to carry a fellow mudder 50 yards. I slowed down a lot then and the last two miles were 11-12 min/mile before adding in obstacle times. I honestly didn't think I'd qualify and that I'd be entering multiple TMs this year to finally qualify.

I'd like to get a season pass and do multiple laps following an 8AM start time, but that isn't financially feasible, so I'm going to start training for what is essentially an ultra marathon and add in a whole lot of upper body endurance through wake and cable riding (which uses similar muscles to what is required for doing many obstacles).

I feel like people are missing the point that Worlds Toughest Mudder is a 24 hour endurance race where you complete as many laps of a 10-12 mile, 55 obstacle course as possible in that time frame. The winner last year completed 9 laps. The previous year he won with 7 laps.

Yes, normal Tough Mudders can be a joke, yes they can be something that's about bragging rights on Facebook, and yes many people who sign up are not doing it for the actual physical challenge. Sure it can come across as random points of torture if you take your time like the vast majority of people, but if you push yourself to get between obstacles (2 every mile, and sitting at a pace of 10 minutes a mile with obstacle times built in), and move as quickly as you can, it quickly ceases to be the joke that many people view it as and becomes a sold challenge. If you want to actually push yourself and really go after it rather than just meander along for the sake of some cool Facebook pictures, it is an actual accomplishment.

Jarrod, I might do the GoRuck challenge in Orlando the month after World's Toughest Mudder. Depends on my job and money situation at the time though. If I don't do it this December, I'm definitely doing one in 2014.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-17-2013, 12:55 PM Reply   
Did TM last September they slotted us to start at like 1PM, we just showed up and started in the second or 3rd wave as they don't check. Didn't have to wait at any obstacles, Artic Enema didn't even have any ice in it so it was merely refreshing. I didn't make it up the half pipe. There were not many people when we arrived, tried and couldn't get a good grip with those there (6'3", 240). We may do it again this year but in Tahoe and with Goruck team, so ruck, bricks, beer as a team, not sure yet.

Goruck last November in Sacramento, 2nd one this Saturday 1 AM in Seattle, then San Francisco in June. Sign up Nick you'll like it!

I believe Jarrods boss did the Heavy version which is 24 hrs, if I am correct on who he is he's a badass himself!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-19-2013, 8:41 PM Reply   
I definitely will Doug! GoRucks look awesome.

It's a shame you missed out on the Arctic Enema. It's a lot of fun when you are prepared for cold water. I used to take ice baths after football and I trunk it when the water is above 60, so it isn't that bad. However, both time's I've done it I've gotten stuck waiting in the pool. The first time, my teammate (a very tiny girl) couldn't handle it and was fighting to move forward. The second time, the team in front of me fit in the classic group of "we're large people who are going to do a Tough Mudder for cool pictures and then just walk the whole thing" and couldn't get out of the bin. So I had to just stand there in the ice waiting for them to climb out of the bin. That was a little less than fun, hah.

If you do another one, the key to the half pipe is to get your hands as far back on the top as you can. The first time I did it, there were a lot of people and when they caught my arm, it subluxed my right shoulder (torn rotator cuff, it doesn't sit in the socket very well anymore, hah). So I spent the second half of the mudder dragging one arm. The second mudder I did it took me two tries. My first run at it (like you, there weren't many people, so I moved off to the side away from everyone else) I ran up and grabbed the top but slipped off. I knew that it was a 2xsomething at the top and assumed it was a 2x4, so I missed the edge. But the second time I got my fingers all the way over the board on the edge and found a grip. From there it was substantially easier than a pull-up. .
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-23-2013, 12:38 PM Reply   
Seattle Goruck completed! 18+ miles in 10.5 hours. Again had a great time hard to explain but the team working together to have everyone finish is amazing. We ended up carrying one team member for the last 3.5 miles or so as he hurt his knee. Inch worm pushups and flutter kicks in front of the Pike Place Market at 10:30 on a Saturday moning EPIC!

The class that went after us the next night went 26.2 miles.

Thanks for the advice, we have till May 2nd to sign up and get the current price for Tahoe.