Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-02-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
Havent taken my wakeboard overseas before and havent flown with it in quite some time but in 2 weeks Im headed over to Dubai& Abu Dhabi. Has Delta changed their policies recently about "wakeboards"?? Itll be packed in the goLF bag and wondering if they classify the wakeboard as extra charge, other airlines I flew it wasnt a problem. My buddies fly with their jumpers/slalom in their goant bag and it just counts as one checked bag.

Any ideas? I tried looking at their policies already
Old    Bill (Bill_Dad)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-02-2012, 1:07 PM Reply   
more than likely you will be charged for it.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-03-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
Thanks...just wanted to check cause i might as well pack it full of clothes then too
Old    RileyBangerter (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-03-2012, 12:54 PM Reply   
Put a go pro or camera gear in one of the pockets and say you are media. Media baggage fees are waived on Delta
Old    Kyle Mehrkens (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       12-04-2012, 4:41 PM Reply   
I've always just cut a box and made my own packing so it fits the curve of the board tightly and takes up less space. I haven't had to pay extra if I use it as one of my allowed bags. The nice thing is that it's not a surf board nor skis, so there aren't specific rules about it. It usually just gets put on the cart instead of going on the conveyor. If you call it a wakeskate, they have no idea what it is and won't associate it with a board of any kind. Try to brush up on max allowed LWH dimensions in case you need to reference some policy.
Old    Tory Parke (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-05-2012, 7:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Havent taken my wakeboard overseas before and havent flown with it in quite some time but in 2 weeks Im headed over to Dubai& Abu Dhabi. Has Delta changed their policies recently about "wakeboards"?? Itll be packed in the goLF bag and wondering if they classify the wakeboard as extra charge, other airlines I flew it wasnt a problem. My buddies fly with their jumpers/slalom in their goant bag and it just counts as one checked bag.

Any ideas? I tried looking at their policies already
Where are you planning on riding when you get here?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-05-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TParke View Post
Where are you planning on riding when you get here?
Hitting up the cable park over there in Abu Dhabi where the worlds are being held this week. Then snowboard at SkiDubai and maybe the Wadi Surf park.

Wait..you say here. You live over there?
Old    Tory Parke (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-05-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Hitting up the cable park over there in Abu Dhabi where the worlds are being held this week. Then snowboard at SkiDubai and maybe the Wadi Surf park.

Wait..you say here. You live over there?
Ya I live in Abu Dhabi. Let me know if you need anything while you are here. I just hit the surf park with a bunch of the guys in town for the worlds. You will want to prebook wadi adventure. Also we have a boat if you want to head out on that.
Old    Tory Parke (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-05-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
Also a local website is running a special at Al Forsan (the cable) it is www.yallabanana.com. It is half price and includes entrance to the park. It ends in 4 hours.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-05-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TParke View Post
Ya I live in Abu Dhabi. Let me know if you need anything while you are here. I just hit the surf park with a bunch of the guys in town for the worlds. You will want to prebook wadi adventure. Also we have a boat if you want to head out on that.
Thats awesome! I didnt know about the surf park until Fooshee posted about it this week lol

Ive been trying to land employment over there for quite some time, have had a few interviews, so Im using this trip to get a grasp of everything and check out everything.

Thanks for the input!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-27-2012, 7:46 AM Reply   
Update:

Delta sucks...landed in Dubai and my wakeboard bag with all my clothes was still sitting in Atlanta. Needless to say, it finally made it 28hrs later.

The cable park in Abu Dhabi was beyond amazing and practically had the place to myself.
Old    DC (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-29-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
How did you pack your board and what not? Were you charged at all?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-29-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
How did you pack your board and what not? Were you charged at all?
I bought pipe insulation from Lowes, split it down the middle to put on the edges of the board. Then used the packing saran wrap to wrap it. Board traveled in the liquid force padded golf bag. Threw my bindings in there, all my clothes. Ended up weighing 49lbs. My first checked bag was free so since this came in under 50lbs it was free. Wasnt asked what it was either way.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-02-2013, 2:21 PM Reply   
gah. My board just barely doesn't fit in my golf bag... Anyone have one they'd be willing to part with?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-02-2013, 2:51 PM Reply   
A board or golf bag? Id say a 143 wont fit if thats what you're board is. Maybe a 141 would, my 139 is def tight
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-02-2013, 3:07 PM Reply   
Board bag, I have a kine 141 so it's wide... I tried to throw it in my golf bag because I'm cheap but it is just barely too long I don't wanna get charged extra for my board...
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-02-2013, 5:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Board bag, I have a kine 141 so it's wide... I tried to throw it in my golf bag because I'm cheap but it is just barely too long I don't wanna get charged extra for my board...
What area you in?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-02-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
New England, trying to get down to o-dub for a few days!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-07-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
UPDATE!
i did as LR3 suggested and remembered someone asked to see how i packed it. just like this in my non padded snowboard bag. worked perfectly and would advise it.
board flew free on southwest, jet blue, and spirit, paid 100 for continental...
Attached Images
 

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 2:16 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us