Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-11-2012, 7:39 PM Reply   
Out of curiosity...since Ive seen some guys with some old classic cars on this site, thought someone might know something.

Would these old late 40s Ford F1 be able to tow say a 210? Mainly just dumping in the lake and maybe towing flat land a bit. Havent researched them much but Id love to own one.

Old    Timmy! (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-11-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
It certainly would look bad azz!
Old    D C (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-11-2012, 8:35 PM Reply   
I've got a 54 Chevy 1/2 ton. Will it tow - you bet it will. Everything stock with 390 gears, she will move a mountain, but good luck stopping. Would need to upgrade the brakes for sure, and with gears like mine, she won't go down the road too fast (mine tops out at 55 and is SCREAMING), but if you're looking to pull it from the house to the ramp a short ways down the road, she'd probably do just fine.
Attached Images
 
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-12-2012, 9:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Out of curiosity...since Ive seen some guys with some old classic cars on this site, thought someone might know something.

Would these old late 40s Ford F1 be able to tow say a 210? Mainly just dumping in the lake and maybe towing flat land a bit. Havent researched them much but Id love to own one.

That thing looks awesome! You sure would get some looks driving it while pulling a boat. Jealous much? Yes I am.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-12-2012, 9:25 AM Reply   
I think it would tow fine but would look weird unless it is pulling a bad arse jet boat that throws a 200 foot rooster tail or a metal flake stars and stripes.
Old    TJ (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-12-2012, 9:38 AM Reply   
My buddy just bought this '71 for around $3k. It has a 383 stroker and needs some work but it's pretty cool for the money. I've never liked the step side in this truck though.

It's all personal preference but I agree, the more rounded, bubbly classic trucks would look better towing something more old school and dated like an airstream, a jet boat or a MB.
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-12-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
Dumb question, but did these kind of trucks get upgraded to power steering at some point? I can't imagine backing up a trailer at a crowded boat ramp turning the wheel from side to side without power steering. Eek!
Old    TJ (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-12-2012, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
My buddy just bought this '71 for around $3k. It has a 383 stroker and needs some work but it's pretty cool for the money. I've never liked the step side in this truck though.

It's all personal preference but I agree, the more rounded, bubbly classic trucks would look better towing something more old school and dated like an airstream, a jet boat or a MB.


Forgot the pic.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-12-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrie141 View Post
Dumb question, but did these kind of trucks get upgraded to power steering at some point? I can't imagine backing up a trailer at a crowded boat ramp turning the wheel from side to side without power steering. Eek!
All the ones Ive come across...had updated power steering, brakes, etc. i of course would make sure it has all the above updates

But screaming at 55? Dang. No bueno
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-12-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post


Forgot the pic.
Chevy C10...i agree, not a fan of the stepside on that truck but the regular version looks nice
Old    Cory D (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-12-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
I wouldn't tow a large of heavy wake boat with something like that. Tail wagging the dog, need more weight and a longer wheelbase to be comfortable and safe. If you want a nice truck to tow with look at 60s or 70s full size pickups. Don't know about Chevy, but Ford went to a dual circuit brake system in '67. If you get a '66 or earlier do yourself a favor and put in a '67 master cylinder and plumb the brakes into two circuits. Either way, the old trucks are a hell of a lot nicer than the new junk.
Old    Hey, You scratched my anchor! (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-12-2012, 3:13 PM Reply   
Of course they will tow, it's just a matter of money.

you can always change gears, add power steering, air conditioning, better brakes, etc etc etc.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-12-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys. My ramp is in my condo development so its a hook boat up back right in deal if I towed it, it would be to a dealer for service if I couldnt handle the fix. Thats it and nothing more.

Id rather own one of these than a new truck and still have money left over for a 2nd vehicle.
Old    TJ (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-13-2012, 6:46 AM Reply   
Here's a pretty sick truck a buddy did the audio system in.



Old    TJ (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-13-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
This was a friend's but I had a 82 Suburban like this (though not as nice). It was bagged with 20" billet wheels, shaved handles, etc. My wife (GF at the time) hated it.

I'll get something similar someday soon that my boys can work on with me. I've always loved the early 80's Chevys.



Old    Jacob Ruppert (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-17-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
thought this was pretty cool.
Attached Images
 
Old    Mark (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-18-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. My ramp is in my condo development so its a hook boat up back right in deal if I towed it, it would be to a dealer for service if I couldnt handle the fix. Thats it and nothing more.
LR3w8kbrdr

You live in a condo on the water? I need to here more about this. Where are you at?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-18-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBunch View Post
LR3w8kbrdr

You live in a condo on the water? I need to here more about this. Where are you at?
Lets see...

-15 inboard/vdrive boats on lifts around the lake, only 2 ever go out
-240 acre private lake
-maintained slalom course
-mean depth 9'. Max depth 22'
-very few tubers, 2 jetskis & 1 surfer
-many condos on short sale/foreclosures due to crash when they were turned into condos. Back in 2008 sold for upwards of $212k and now be scooped up in the 50-60k range.
-private boat ramp
-gated access
-butter 99% of time lol

View from patio


Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-18-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
Location? I just relocated with snow skiing in mind, but year round motorcycling and wakeboarding could be cool too...
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-18-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
Tampa, FL
Old    Mark (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-18-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
That is a sweet setup. I have been looking for something similar in Texas but all the private ski lakes are mostly acre lots and way out of town.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-31-2012, 10:04 PM Reply   
LR3w8kbrdr, I live in Canada and our weather sucks as everyone on here knows. We are always looking for a vacation spot/home, preferablly on a lake but the prices usually keep it out of reach. heck on my lake here in canada anything lakefront is 1 mill.

I just was reading your post and am quite interested in your lake. Any more info you can provide? Looks like a dream come true right there!
Old    Bill S (93rx7)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-15-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
I'm moving down there too if I can get a house on that lake for 60k

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:29 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us