Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (gregs_place)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-18-2012, 5:21 PM Reply   
I need some help.

I am about to start up wakeboarding again after having knee surgery and I want to progress my riding behind the boat and on cable. I am currently riding a 2009 Ronix Viva 136 and I would consider my riding ability to be intermediate but im hoping to progress quickly. I have never rode cable before and I am going to start riding TSR soon but I do not want to take my Viva and ruin it there. So now I am trying to decide whether to keep my Viva for the boat and get a flex board or just get a new board that can handle the cable parks and the boat. What are y'alls suggestions?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-18-2012, 5:47 PM Reply   
Cable will destroy any board you ride. Some faster than others, but eventually they will all die. If you like your Viva and plan on getting a new board anyway, get something you will like riding on cable, and if you happen to like it behind the boat as well, great.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-18-2012, 5:48 PM Reply   
SLINGSHOT Response.....

No better board, boat or cable.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-18-2012, 5:56 PM Reply   
Tsr has a full line of the CWB park boards to demo I believe. Both the vibe and saber. CWB also just added 2 more park decks to their line up for 2013 totally 4 completely diff decks which all ride boat just as well as cable
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-18-2012, 6:38 PM Reply   
Best for both worlds is JD Webb's new board from Hyperlite. Thing has full ABS rails and a sintered base to hold up on cable. It also is one of the fastest boards I've ridden and has incredible pop. Really a quality board all around.
Old     (gregs_place)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-18-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
what is a good cable board that you would recommend?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-18-2012, 7:43 PM Reply   
SLINGSHOT REFLEX x100000000
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       09-18-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
I've got a few recommendations. Either the OBrien Paradigm, OBrien Baker, or the 2013 OBrien Bruce. All of these boards are insanely durable, almost impossible to break or do major damage. All three are hybrid flex boards, the Paradigm being the most flexible, the Baker a little more stiff yet still having flex throughout, and the Bruce will be the stiffest while still having a bit of flex in the tips.

Behind the boat, I found the Paradigm to have an incredibly smooth and soft pop, now you still get enough kick, but the landings are buttery soft and it truly is a "smooth" pop (thats the only way I can describe it). The Baker is stiffer and has A TON of rocker, having molded in fins makes it track well, and the construction of them won't get destroyed at the cable. I find the Baker to be a lot poppier than the Paradigm, boosting me way higher, way further, but the downside is a lot harder of landings. The Bruce is new for 2013 so I can't say how it'll be, but from what I hear its loose, fast, and the 5 stage rocker gives immense amounts of pop while still maintaining buttery soft landings.

All three will give what you need behind the boat AND be durable enough for cable (and perform well at the park too!!) however, if its an option, I'd recommend to demo each one and see what you like best!! Either way I guarantee you'll walk away with a great choice and a huge smile!
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-18-2012, 9:30 PM Reply   
Slingshot response
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-18-2012, 9:55 PM Reply   
Watson Hybrid in my experience.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-19-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
Since you like the Viva, the Slingshot Whip would be more similar, being fast and locked in, and a great ride for both cable and boat.
Old     (gregs_place)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-19-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
I have the matching Cell bindings and I am in love with them so I dont want to get rid of them. Will they fit on most any board?
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-19-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
I second the Watson Hybrid, the channels in it are amazing for giving you that extra grip when riding finless and helping maintain consistency in your pop off the wake. It's also flat enough on the bottom that you don't have worry about slipping out on a rail. There are definitely more good boards coming out that are similar and I would like to give a try. Slingshot Whip and new LF Bob grind look pretty good, although I haven't tried either.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-19-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
I got a slingshot response with store credit I had. I was thinking I would use it at desert wake this summer but they never opened. I ended up riding it behind the boat just to goof around on, but I was pleasantly surprised. This thing has crazy pop. Maybe it just fits my style better, but the rest of my quiver is getting lonely now (mutiny vandall, phalanx Cw425). I rode 10 sets in the last 3 days, and the best ones were on my response. So don't sleep on its boat capabilities. We already know what it can do on rails.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-19-2012, 6:37 PM Reply   
Love my Ronix Phoenix Project. Has some flex, but still rips behind the boat. One thing I will say is the bottom is so featureless that you have to add fins for behind the boat and vice versa.
Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-16-2013, 6:24 PM Reply   
Having trouble with my 2012 CWB Saber at the Cable Park.. in the 5 weeks there the bottom has excessively scratched and scarred leaving it very rough to the feel. I stacked it up against a Ronix, Slingshot and the park rental LF boards, all of which have had from I full season to 3 seasons there and none showed the roughness mine had acquired by the 3 week mark. The board is solid otherwise but the bottom problem is not acceptable.
Old     (clutchind)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-17-2013, 5:32 AM Reply   
Agree with TBell. The best thing about the Bruce, Paradigm, and Baker are the urethane sidewalls and fully sintered bases. the same bases found on snowboards and fully repairable with a little P-Tex. I've been riding the Bruce and Baker this season and can't decide which I prefer behind the boat. If I had to choose a single board for both... Baker hands down, the 3.5" rockerline and flex profile create a fast controllable edge into the wake that punts you straight up.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-17-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
LF Deluxe Hybrid
Old     (texfrost)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-17-2013, 11:05 AM Reply   
I always recommend an Oracle from Humanoid. It handles great in the water but is a little slow coming off of the wake, you have to wait for it a little bit it seems. It really is a compromise for boat and cable but I love it all around. I rode several boards and that was what I wound up settling on.

However, yes, the base is thrashed all to hell. Without fins, I do not know how it will hold up behind a boat right now. I have not been fortunate enough to be able to get out behind the boat yet this year. The structure on the base of the deck is still there, but it is not any where nearly as define as it was. I will post pictures of the base later.
Old     (JDK13)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-15-2013, 7:08 PM Reply   
SS shredtwn 2013
Old    cheaptara            08-16-2013, 12:39 AM Reply   
Dessutom använder de en SERP avseende behålla unga barn faktiskt avskärmade på insidan kalla vintermånaderna.

Moncler jacka , Skulle du räkna ut en hel del som har en vikt, kan du bygga förhårdnader. Genom att använda ett hopprep är ett av de hur du ökar din allmänna uthållighet när du utför seghet moncler. Nästan alla dessa människor moncler Spencer vanligtvis bäst säljande i USA, insatser, Storbritannien och även American fläckar. Men han nämnde inte det, och istället fokuserat på den obestridda frågan om tillträde, som han tycktes försöka presentera en mer moderat Coats ansikte Moncler i de avslutande veckorna före mayordomo. Striden eskalerade på onsdagen, då president Obama arbetat för att återta sin fördel bland kvinnor och som Romney kampanjen återvände till sin kärnverksamhet argumentet att den republikanska bättre lämpad att hantera kvinnors topp soldi ekonoDetta är ett ordförandeskap som inte har hjälpt Americas kvinnor, och som jag går över hela landet och be kvinnor, vad kan jag göra för att hjälpa? vad de talar Moncler jackor om dag ut och dag ut är Hjälp mig hitta en bra Moncler Coats Försäljning jobb eller ett bra jobb för min make, sade Romney. När du hittar rätt koncentrera sig på Doudoune Moncler blir det mycket mer lättare för dig att få framgång tillsammans med ditt företag på nätet i samband med Doudoune Moncler.Den Romney Kampanjen debuterade också en ny annons i veckan som försöker mjuka upp sin image. Top England cricketer Kevin Pietersen är en från de officiella ansikten Oakley solglasögon, främja deras fantastiska utbud samt skyddet. Det säkerligen finns en hel del bra saker om bär polariserade solglasögon.Men i fall du behöver en bifokala eller justerbart objektiv, nästa mätning blir viktig, eftersom flera fokala linser kommer att kräva en minsta objektiv djup 28mm.Det är absolut värt din tid och ansträngningar och pengar för att få oakley solglasögon i Oakley uk, älskade det ray ban solglasögon av människor över hela världen, för de billiga oakley solglasögon medan du använder garanterad kvalitet, vad mer, trevlig service på det.

Solglasögon ,Underbar variation av olika typer presentpapper obestridligen erbjuder dig ett utmärkt val för varje fest. Carrera solglasögon ares ett märke märke som kan vara otroligt ett fantastiskt erbjudande bifogas den här stilen ras som är i drift är svårt att skapa nya trender för ungdomar. t låt din tid och ansträngningar från arbetet startar dåligt på grund av dålig planering.Kort sagt, hjälper detta glasen vilar helt på någon form av tempel och huvud storlek. Ni hutoa maisha tena rafu kwa viatu.

Adidas jeremy scott , kinachojulikana-dunia ya nini hufanyika kwa mizigo unclaimed hivi karibuni kugeuka kutoka kuwa makini ya bidhaa mpya Travel Channel kuonyesha ukweli Television, vita, ambayo ni ndani ya kuonekana katika mchezo wa kuigiza wa zabuni, kupata na kuuza bidhaa hizo.These kubuni viatu itakuwa mitindo wengi wa jadi na usambazaji wa mapumziko na mwanga na transportable. wageni kutoka usiku mshangao wamekuwa Compact, furry Runway nyota kufanyika kwa mfano kila moja.

Jeremy scott wings , Jozi yako kwa haraka kuwa huvaliwa nje kama uharibifu mdogo tu si umeandaliwa kwa wakati. Nini ziada, hata wakati wewe juu ya pronate au supinate, Motion Newton wote-Weather Mbio Shoes 'kutisha kubuni na mtindo hata hivyo kukupa upande wowote, nguvu propulsive kuinua-off. Plus flora Candida unaweza kukua na kuwa sugu. Kimsingi "Kulogwa" kuweka ndani ya junior juu katika Japan.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-16-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
The Tex. Seems to work for both for Tom fairly well.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-16-2013, 7:11 AM Reply   
Liquid Force Super Trip
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-16-2013, 10:20 AM Reply   
Anyone ever try ctrl? The rx seems to work well for Phil soven
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-16-2013, 4:31 PM Reply   
Does anyone know the difference between the older response and the newer one. I know they are built different.
Old     (taylorfredrickson)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-16-2013, 4:33 PM Reply   
Response is a great board for both! In fact i have a brand new one still in the wrapping I need gone!
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-17-2013, 12:04 PM Reply   
Slingshot boards are built to ride at the cable and the boat. Their built to last as well. Their the only boards built in America with a solid wood core. No foam to break down over time.

Foam = bad Wood= Good!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-17-2013, 2:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
Anyone ever try ctrl? The rx seems to work well for Phil soven
I have an RX and like it behind the boat. I wore it out on the cable and it was a pig on the sliders (lot of drag), but nice for air tricks.

I'm riding the Witness Grind now. I haven't used it behind the boat but expect it to perform similar to the RX.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-18-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
John how long did it last before you wore it out? I take it you ride cable quite often.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2013, 1:28 PM Reply   
It was worn to the foam after 3-4 months. I do ride quite a bit, but my Motive held up better than that. In my experience the molded fin boards (RX, Witness, Tex) are pretty sluggish. They track the water well when throwing an air trick and inspire confidence. But they will give you a workout because of the friction.