Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-03-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
ok, never was a big skier, but this weekend my buddy brought a set of skis, what speed do most ski at, etc etc.

2 skis we where at aprox 25 to 28 and 28 to 31 ish with a slalom ski. i am not sure all the variables, but just want to learn about rope lenghts, speeds and basic corse info. I enjoyed the slalom ski, even though it's behind an enzo 244. not the best ski boat by far
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-03-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
2 skis should be the same speed as you board at or a little slower. So that being said some where between 19 and 23.5. Depends on the skier's size and skis. We slalom a behind the wake boat 31-34. Also run a gps to double check your speeds.

Last edited by FunkyBunch; 09-03-2012 at 8:28 AM.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-03-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
Mark is pretty much right on. 2 skis you can pull pretty slow. 18-22. Adults slalom between about 28-36. Unlike wakeboarding there is set speed at slalom for competition. Last I knew was 36 for men and 34 for women. Rope length should be 75 for beginners. Make sure you are not using a wakeboard rope as a ski rope is supposed to stretch.

For the course you work in feet "off". That is the amount of rope off a standard 75 foot rope. 15 off is 60 then to 22 off (53) act. Shorter the rope harder it is to get out to the balls. If you are going to ski it pays to get a nice color coded slalom rope. A good one is less than $50 much cheaper than wake lines.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-03-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
Go to www.ballofspray.com for a board and discussion forum on slalom skiing. Lots of great resources and they are very supportive of beginners. Free-skiing, not in a slalom course, can be done at most any speed. Most adult slalom skiers need to be going at least 24-26 mph so the ski does not sink in the turns. Use a 15-off rope (60' long) to also avoid slack. Unlike wakeboarding, you keep your body very straight cutting into the wakes. Bending at the waist at all will cause the ski to stop and a fall.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-04-2012, 7:12 AM Reply   
we had fun messing around with it. i dont know if my boat will do 36 mph..lol thanks for all the info
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-04-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
we had fun messing around with it. i dont know if my boat will do 36 mph..lol thanks for all the info
That was the reason I capped slalom at 34 my boat struggles to pull anything more than that. Ohh well it pulls up the weight without any issue.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-04-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
You mean there are vdrive boats that wont do 36mph?? Ive seen barefooting done behind a few going faster than that.

Had my buddy slalom the other day at 14.5mph through the course. It was a riot! He usually runs 36mph 35' off. Quite the workout
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-04-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
You mean there are vdrive boats that wont do 36mph?? Ive seen barefooting done behind a few going faster than that.

Had my buddy slalom the other day at 14.5mph through the course. It was a riot! He usually runs 36mph 35' off. Quite the workout
Boat has been re-propped and it will do it. I would just rather not red line my boat so someone can slalom. But I am positive the boat does not run over 40 with the current prop.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-04-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
my prop is too low to push 40. i have never had a vdrive propped to go that fast. I could, but we board and surf, plus i am never in a hurry, so outside of slalom, theres no need to go that fast.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       09-05-2012, 4:47 AM Reply   
On our 07 x2 my dad free ski's on blue/green. Not sure how off that is. And i pin the throttle the whole time. We are lucky to get 39 mph. He skis in front of the rooster tail by the way.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-05-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
^sounds like 35 off and your dad skis at 39, wow you guys are f'ing nuts! That's borderline barefoot speed
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-05-2012, 7:51 PM Reply   
Not sure it was mentioned, but you can run the course at pretty much any speed in increment of 2. In amateur competition, most beginner men will start between 28-30. At 36 mph (34 if over 35 yo) you can start cutting line. Long is 75 as mentioned, than you go 15', 22', 28', 32', 35', 38', 39.5', 41', and 43'. With a decent amount of practice and some instruction, a fit person can probably run 36 mph long and even 15' off with a couple years experience. Anything above that is going to take some dedication. Also, most wake boats are going to be pretty hard to run the course at the long lines. It actually would probably be easier running them shorter without the rooster. I ran 35' off this summer with 7 people in a Response Lxi, and even that boat had a very hard rooster at 22' off.