Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Robert Mann (BobinIL)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
I have had the Premier 140 for 10 years and have decided to upgrade boards. I have gained about 20 pounds since I started riding the Premier, I am 5.10 and 205. I am looking at a 143 Ronix District. I like that the district is a wide board and I can ride at a little slower boat speed 20mph. I just hope it tracks as well and pops better than the premier. Anyone here ride the district?
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-06-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
So your premier is 10 years old? Or you've been riding different premiers for 10 years?
Old    Robert Mann (BobinIL)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
My premier is 10 years old, Red and black with the Power Ranger looking guy graphics.
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-06-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
IMO: Anything newer than 10 years old will probably ride better. If your heart is set on getting a new board, I would just get a newer premier. It'll probably be a familiar feel but with better tracking and possibly more pop (although pop isn't just from the board... see all the "how do I get more pop" threads). I ride my older premier still and love it. I took off the removable fins to ease up the traction which made it a little more forgiving on sketchy landings. I would get a 141, I'm 6'2" right at about 200# and feel very comfortable on it. http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards...rent_39387_odd

If your only concerns are traction and pop, you can fix that fairly easily with the equipment you have. Get a bigger fin for your board and learn proper technique. "Just because you bought Tiger Woods' clubs, that doesn't make you Tiger Woods".

Last edited by petrie141; 08-06-2012 at 9:31 AM.
Old    Robert Mann (BobinIL)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
I hardly think the district is the tiger woods of wakeboards.
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-06-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinIL View Post
I hardly think the district is the tiger woods of wakeboards.
Didn't mean it literally, it was just something someone told me a long time ago. Although I'm one of the biggest proponents to proper form instead of buying new gear, something 10 years old probably needs to be replaced.

Last edited by petrie141; 08-06-2012 at 9:49 AM.
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-06-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinIL View Post
I have had the Premier 140 for 10 years and have decided to upgrade boards. I have gained about 20 pounds since I started riding the Premier, I am 5.10 and 205. I am looking at a 143 Ronix District. I like that the district is a wide board and I can ride at a little slower boat speed 20mph. I just hope it tracks as well and pops better than the premier. Anyone here ride the district?
Food for thought RE: your old premier

Danny Harfs pro model was the premier back in the day. Danny Harf rides the one, the one has a more abrupt pop than the old premier shape and tracks like it's on rails... I went Hype Premier 140 - Liquid Force Substance 138 (should've gone 142) and then a Ronix Mana, the original Mana was almost the exact same channels and rocker line as the old premier/substance, they were all very similar. I now ride the new shape mana which is nothing like those shapes but I love it, it pops hard but isn't too locked down.

Does hyperlite still make the old premier shape? I forgot the new name but they made it in a 147 at one point...

I don't know anything about the district, but depending on the type of rider you are, you might want to check out the ONE by Ronix, and they go up to 146 so if you want to ride 20 then you'd be covered, I feel like I'm sinking any less than 22mph and I ride a 143 and weigh 185...
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-06-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Food for thought RE: your old premier

Danny Harfs pro model was the premier back in the day. Danny Harf rides the one, the one has a more abrupt pop than the old premier shape and tracks like it's on rails... I went Hype Premier 140 - Liquid Force Substance 138 (should've gone 142) and then a Ronix Mana, the original Mana was almost the exact same channels and rocker line as the old premier/substance, they were all very similar. I now ride the new shape mana which is nothing like those shapes but I love it, it pops hard but isn't too locked down.

Does hyperlite still make the old premier shape? I forgot the new name but they made it in a 147 at one point...

I don't know anything about the district, but depending on the type of rider you are, you might want to check out the ONE by Ronix, and they go up to 146 so if you want to ride 20 then you'd be covered, I feel like I'm sinking any less than 22mph and I ride a 143 and weigh 185...
Not sure... Mine is a 2005, I think Danny was still Riding it then? Is that right? Here's an 05' and a 10'. It looks like what little channels were there are the 05 are gone in 10.

2005


2010


If those channels and the tip and tail shape were the magical key to getting pop, I would it's all gone (but we all know that's not the case, right?)
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-06-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
I was referring to the hyperlite ERA, they stopped making it in 09. If he likes his 02 140, then the era is basically the same exact shape.

I stuck with the same sort of shape so long because I liked how the blended 3 stage handled and I was used to the molded in fin design that prevailed on all of those boards I listed above. I would remove the center fin and I liked how the board handled - never thought that one board gave me magical pop and the other didn't...

The reason I mentioned the pro model thing is often times, a pros preferences for the way a board handles doesn't really change, they want it slow, fast, loose, tight, and while I'm not saying that some of the pro boards aren't gimmicky, if you liked how his pro model rode before, you'll probably like it now... Me, I like the way the new Mana rides opposed to the old, the new mana is super simple on the bottom, not much going on and I like that, no gimmicks 3 stage board.

Last edited by wakebordr11; 08-06-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old    Ryan (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-06-2012, 10:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
I was referring to the hyperlite ERA, they stopped making it in 09. If he likes his 02 140, then the era is basically the same exact shape.
I gotcha. I wonder if anything we say will actually make a difference in his decision lol.
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-06-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Who knows, I am not on the up and up with board shapes lately... I just know I like what I ride and can offer a lot of detail on it since I'm very analytical, and I can comment on what I've ridden and the steps I've taken to the rider I am now, and why what I ride now, isn't the same as what I rode before, why etc...
Old    Robert Mann (BobinIL)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
Yes I do think that the Premier today is not the same board as the older premier. That said, my riding style is not the same as when I first started riding the premier. For one I am heavier than I was then such is why I feel I need a bigger board. I am also not going real wide to get a heavy load on the line. I am trying to load the line with a short approach to the wake from just outside the boat spray but progressing to a heavy loading of the line to create more vertical pop and not so much speed and distance out into the flats. I am older so I like slower speeds and taller wakes to give the air without having to work so hard and without enduring the hard falls.
Old    Tim (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
Robert,

Have you ever ridden any other boards or have you stayed with your premier for the whole ten years? I suggest you go demo some boards. I ride an 07 Ronix Vault and I demo'd a Watson Classic, I loved it. The landings were a lot softer than my Vault and it didn't feel as loose as the Vault. I have also tried a Shane Hybrid. It was really loose and easy to do surface tricks with. It had nice pop off the wake too. I had a blast with how loose it felt though. It also had a soft landing off the wake.

Right now I am leaning to pick up a Watson Classic or a Harley. The Harley is supposedly a faster version of the Watson Classic. I am going to try the Harley sometime soon.

Newer boards feel a lot lighter too. I like the lighter feeling. I felt like my pop increased a lot more when I tried the newer boards.

Last edited by dezul; 08-06-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-06-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinIL View Post
Yes I do think that the Premier today is not the same board as the older premier. That said, my riding style is not the same as when I first started riding the premier. For one I am heavier than I was then such is why I feel I need a bigger board. I am also not going real wide to get a heavy load on the line. I am trying to load the line with a short approach to the wake from just outside the boat spray but progressing to a heavy loading of the line to create more vertical pop and not so much speed and distance out into the flats. I am older so I like slower speeds and taller wakes to give the air without having to work so hard and without enduring the hard falls.
Well, can't really recommend a board for that style riding, a 3 stage will pop you more up in theory but what I'm envisioning is what you should do anyway, a continuous board will land more stable and softer, in the line the ronix viva is a smooth continuous board that I've ridden. It's nice.
Old    Robert Mann (BobinIL)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2012, 7:56 PM Reply   
Went to the local board shop today and left with a Watson Classic with Watson boots.
Old    Tim (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-07-2012, 4:44 AM Reply   
Nice, I am jealous. Those bindings are nice and stiff and you will love the board. I like the design of the 2012 Watson Classic too. I know where a used one is that I might pick up if the price is right.
Old    travis moye (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-07-2012, 4:51 AM Reply   
I didn't read most of the thread, but The District is a great board! One of the most user friendly boards I have ever seen. It edges really well, is really poppy, and lands great. It's actually what I ride and I could ride any Ronix board(and have). I put people on that board every week. You'll love it.
Old    Clay (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-07-2012, 6:32 AM Reply   
I know it's too late now, but I have ridden the 2002 Premier 140 then upgraded to the 2006 Premier 141 in the past. This summer I went for the Byerly Blunt 55 and I think it is a great upgrade from both of them if you like that style of board. I am 6' tall and 195lbs, and I have ridden the board at slower speeds while working on new tricks and it doesn't drag at all.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:38 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us