Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       07-23-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
Alright, Ive been researching a lot about the best way to tune the amp. So many different opinions i went ahead and called JL Audio today. They told me how to tune it with a multi meter so I went and bought a decent one and got a test tune off itunes. It was a 50hz @ 0db test tune. I sat the amp at 54.7 AC. I connected the sub to the amp and it was ok. Nothing like what I was hoping for. I keep comparing it to my 2 12w6s which i thought it may be close. But it really isnt. Im wondering if thats just how it is. Its in a sealed box, that is supposedly built to spec. I build a ported box built to specs the other day and am hoping to drop the sub in there real soon. Any input on if a ported box will make a huge difference? Im doubting its very audible but im not sure, never have had a sealed box. Is anyone running this set up in there boat for a sub?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-24-2012, 6:53 AM Reply   
What you are discovering is that two 12s have more than a 50 percent increase in surface area as compared to a single 13.5....and, a W6 is easier to drive than a W7. You are also not making a direct comparison in the same environment. The idea of a W7 over a W6 is greater linear excursion (Xmax) but that takes considerably more power to realize the gain.
Try setting the gain at 100 Hz versus 50 Hz.
A bass-reflex enclosure as compared to sealed will be the equivalent of doubling your amplifier power in the meaty part of the bass. And, you will get one-third octave of deeper bass extension before reaching the half power point.
See the procees through to completion before making an assessment.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       07-24-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
Ok David, so what you are saying is download a 100hz test tune and set the gain to 54.7 AC? I'll drop the sub in the new slot ported box tonight or tomorrow and see how it sounds than.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-25-2012, 3:02 PM Reply   
I was gonna say 80-90 Hz but a 100 Hz works as well...
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       07-25-2012, 3:19 PM Reply   
Are you guys referring to a 100hz test tune and still set the sensitivity to 54.7 AC?
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-25-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
If you did the proper calculation and that's the number you got than yes @ 100 Hz like David suggested.. If it sounds a little top note heavy, drop it to 80hz or 90hz test tone...
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       07-25-2012, 7:25 PM Reply   
ok, one last dumb question because ive never set an amp with a volt meter, always by ear. Is 100 hz or 80 hz (whichever sounds better) going to be louder (SPL) than the 50hz that it is set at now?
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-26-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
It will let more hertz thru so yeah there will be audible difference...
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-27-2012, 6:37 AM Reply   
Bryce,
There is WAY more bass program material from 50 to 100 Hz then there is from 50 Hz and below. So of course it will be perceived as louder. Also, your woofer is already at half power at the crossover point.
But don't get confused over the frequency used for setting the gain and the crossover frequency. These are two very different issues.
As for setting the gain, establishing the the clipping threshold using a sine wave generator and a voltmeter is not the final step. It is just the first step in determining what is safe. But the test tone is often 5 dB hotter than the hottest CD recording and you can't set a woofer's gain that only reproduces 1.5 octaves independent of the fullrange coaxials/components that reproduce 8.5 octaves.
Getting your system dialed in is a lot more involved then what you'll get over the internet. At some point you may want to take the finished installation to a local pro for the final tuning. That may be the only way you will get your full investment.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-27-2012, 6:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truekaotik View Post
It will let more hertz thru so yeah there will be audible difference...
jiggahertz???
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-27-2012, 7:09 AM Reply   
Everytime I read a post from David I feel like Beavis. uhhhhhhh huhhh uuuuuhuhuhhh eeeerrrrr mmmmmm ok.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       07-27-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
X2 Haha. I got my 3 pair xs-650s set where I want them, its just the slash has so many damn knobs! I got the bass eq off so pretty much the freq and input are the only 2 to tune. I tad more than impressed last night with it on my truck in my new ported box. I went ahead and turned the input up a little bit more because it sounded like the sub was still wanting more. It sounded great! Hopefully it'll sound just as good in the boat but since its an open environment, I'm sure it won't be nearly as loud. Thanks for everyone's input
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-27-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_smith View Post
jiggahertz???
Whatever you want to call it chief... Lol