Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (FatWakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-26-2012, 7:46 AM Reply   
I've got a 2008 Nautique 226 with the Flight Control Titan Tower. I am now missing the bolt that goes through the tower leg into the aft hull bracket on the Starboard side of the boat. Nautique Parts has not been able to identify the part. Could I be the first person to lose a bolt in the water? The boat is currently unusable unless I remove the tower. I've attached pictures of what the bold on the Port side looks like. I could also use a replacement plastic piece as the one was cracked. Anyone know what bolt or where I can get these parts?
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2012, 7:57 AM Reply   
A Flight Control Titan??
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-26-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
Pull the other bolt out and take it to a warehouse that specializes in nuts and bolts. I can't imagine it is some special bolt they made just for those towers.
Old     (FatWakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-26-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
I'm concerned about the tower collapsing and damaging the hull if I remove the other side. I agree with you that it's probably not a custom bolt, but I can't seem to find the answer. It's a Titan Tower, it says something about Flight Control on it, but maybe it's just a Titan Tower.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-26-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
There is no way for you to support the tower or even pull the entire tower off to get the bolt? Could you pull the bolt our and slide some sort of metal/wood dowl or even a smaller bolt in to keep it from collapsing?
Old     (val_cal)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-26-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
Call Titan direct 916-858-1178 I was able to get stuff for my Titan tower from them
Old     (FatWakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-26-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
This is not looking good. Dealer doesn't have parts, Nautique doesn't have parts, Nautique Parts doesn't have parts, and here is the response from Titan:

"We no longer make this kit anymore, this was a Nautique product. We will take a look around to see if we have any of these parts laying around.
You can also call your dealer and see if they might have some of these parts for you as well."

Any other ideas?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-26-2012, 9:58 AM Reply   
Is the boat in a garage? If so support the tower with some straps to the ceiling or rafters and like someone mentioned above go to a nut/bolt/fastener company. Theyll have a close match for ya if its just the bolt u need.
Old     (FatWakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-26-2012, 10:23 AM Reply   
No, boat is on a lift and I don't own a trailer. That's compounding the issue, I need to figure out how to get the other side out without doing damage to the hull. I can't believe the companies can't at least provide specs for the bolt. I'll figure something else out for the fitting between the two, the bolt is the one that is a harder find.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-26-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
Have you called White Lake and/or Buxton?
Old     (05sante)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-26-2012, 10:37 AM Reply   
Do you have a bin of spare nuts and bolts? Just start trying different sizes until you find one that fits. Then get on Mcmaster-Carr or something and buy the bolt with the head type and material you want.

With the picture zoomed in its hard to judge the actual size, start with 1/4-20 or the metric equivalent and go from there. Its just a bolt.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-26-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
I'd second that it is "just a bolt"....

Having been to Titan factory numerous times I'd say with near certainty they NEVER made a custom hardened bolt if it was something they could have just gotten off the shelf.

I have a contact that used to work there - he may be able to shed some light on it.
Old     (FatWakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-26-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
Got specs from Nautique, they said 5/16-18x2. Took other side out to fastener store, it's actually 1/2-20x1 3/4. Ordered bolts, no luck on bushings. Then heard back from Titan that they have both for $35 a set plus shipping. It's a $6 screw at fastener place but I think I have to spend the $35 + to get the bushing.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-26-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
Is it Titan you are dealing with or Star One? Titan made that tower but they are Star One now.

either way, I can see the bushing being a custom part so at least you are back in business for not too much money.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-26-2012, 4:24 PM Reply   
Probably a 5/16 or a 3/8 button allen bolt. Stainless of coarse. Can you call a Nautique dealer and ask to talk to the service dept and ask someone that knows the Titan product. The depth will also be a good question for sure.
Old     (val_cal)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-26-2012, 6:05 PM Reply   
Just get the bushings I replaced mine last year and my tower seems a lot stiffer now.
Old     (FatWakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-29-2012, 5:47 AM Reply   
To close out this thread, Star One Wake delivered the parts, my Nautique is a 08, but it's under warranty as it was a demo boat I bought last year. To Nautique's credit, they have said they will pay for the parts due to the hassle it's been finding them.