Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-23-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
2012 Widebody... I will get more pictures but hope you like....
Attached Images

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-23-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
Very solid classic gel choice! Nice boat and congrats!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-23-2012, 12:54 PM Reply   
SWEET!!! Love the design and colors all the way to the trailer. Congrats.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-23-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
Yeah that is sweet and classic!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-23-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
gorgeous
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-23-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
Looks good Scott! I will be sticking those bindings in the mail in the next hour or so.
Old     (alex_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-23-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
Looks fantastic! That is the exact gel that I went with. I got a black tower though. Mine should be delivered to my dealer this week.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-23-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
Just like the one I'm waiting on but two foot shorter.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-23-2012, 4:26 PM Reply   
A beauty!!Congrats!
Old     (sdkid21)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-23-2012, 4:28 PM Reply   
No more Epic??? For SHAME!

-Matt
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-24-2012, 4:20 AM Reply   
very interested to hear a detailed comparison between the Epic you had and your MB.

Sick looking boat BTW! You will love it!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-24-2012, 4:28 AM Reply   
That's a nice looking boat Scott. I'll be interested to hear why you chose a different route this time. We all want a detailed report with lots and lots of pictures.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-24-2012, 5:16 AM Reply   
Very nice! Congratulations! I think we are all interested in why you went from the '12 Epic to the '12 MB
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-24-2012, 5:35 AM Reply   
Nice looking boat man. Also interested in why you went away from Epic.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-24-2012, 5:36 AM Reply   
^^^ I am interest too as i am in the market for a new boat, probably going to be getting one in the winter. looking at the epic, MB and axis so i would love to see why you chose this over your epic! sweet looking boat though~!
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-24-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
Guys, just got to work so I will explain to some degree the decision. I will try hard to not bash anything or anyone but will be very honest in what decided it for me.

I always had put my boats on the market after a summer of use and have had super success in selling them. This year was no different. I sold it to a great guy in Canada and he really took it to the next level with added lights for under water along with tower lights. He also put on a crazy wrap that I actually liked. After I sold it I was in the market again and first up was a call to my friends over at Epic. With all the great things I have said about the boat and the company I was expecting the same treatment since it would have been my 3rd boat in less than 28 months. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I didn't get much of a response other than I was told my pricing went up at least $15k and I was never given a number other than it went up at least that. I couldn't understand why. I have yet to get a call back, text or anything to talk to me further. I really expected to be treated with kid gloves this time as the last time was a bit of a nightmare in timing to get my 12. Just didn't happen. So, I decided to look around and find something else that did what I needed it to do.

First for me (most likely not for alot of people) was interior room. 4 kids and 2 adults on every trip we needed space. I tape measured my Epic and got dimensions for a starting point. So I was set on a 23' boat but after finding the Tomcat I was intrigued. I talked to MANY MANY dealers around the country and every single one of them were amazing to talk to. (Texas Mastercraft, Utah, Orlando, Michigan...they all were GREAT!) I found out that the 21' Tomcat was actually BIGGER inside than my 23' Epic. I didn't believe it. Actually had 2 different people measure for me and both got exact same numbers. With the widebody I gained 10" of width and 7" of lenth in the cockpit area. I couldn't believe it. So, I didn't want to like a 21' boat becuase I have never had one but....size matter as they say and I ended up giving it a real look.

After I began to research MB and the quality standards they have I was almost sold. As you all know Epic is built as a pure rider boat. They seem to miss on the fit and finish. (both of mine did) MB blows them out of the water. I couldn't believe how much of a difference I saw in the vinyl and cockpit. It really was several steps up the ladder so to speak. My wife actually loved the magnet carpet so we could clean this boat when needed. I was a huge proponet of the SeaDek on the floor but after not being able to clean the Epic like I wanted I think that was a big culprit. The seating layout is very nice with a back for the seat behind the driver. The seats and cushions fit perfectly and the vinyl they use is much nicer stuff than the Epic.

Ok, I know those are all personal preference things so I will talk about the wake a bit. (now know I have not ridden it just test drove it) I have read tons of great things about the wake here on WW. So I was pretty convinced the stock wake was going to be awesome. I wasn't disappointed. Mine has the trim plate and that really helps to plane her out. I also heard many many great things about the surf wake. (again I haven't ridden her yet) I did however create the wave during my test drive and although not as tall as my Epic she looked very clean and fun. The stock wake looked very clean with no wash. Epic's (both of mine) always had some wash on one side that I could never seem to clean up fully. I have seen pictures and video's of Epic's with clean wakes but have also talked to other Epic owners with some of the same issues.

All in All I believe I would still be in an Epic if I were treated the way I had hoped. You all know I loved my Epic's and loved the company and talked and talked on that many times. I had hoped that my relationship was a good one with them however I guess they didn't want to sell me a boat as they had in the past. I think they have some growing pains to go through and need to step it up when it comes to fit and finish along with customer service. I was a long time customer and spent well over $120k with them in two years and was treated very poorly when I was ready for a third boat. If they are reading this, please take a hard look at the fit and finish issues. Also, if you have a long time client don't treat them as if they don't exist. You all know my number and can feel free to call me and I can explain further what did and didn't happen.

I want to shout out to Robert Nelem at Nelems Marine in Jaspar Alabama. He won my business on the MB after talking to many dealers. He was great to talk to and allowed me to custom order that trailer with BoatMate. He also went above and beyond and delivered me my boat 4 states away. I fell in love with the classic colors and lines of the MB. I am very happy that a company and dealership wanted my business. Robert worked with me, answered all of my questions and invited me to his lake house for the test drive. I can honestly say though that ALL the dealers I talked to were amazing! Drew in Orlando, Craig in Texas and I have forgotten the guy in Utah's name, but they were all very honest and forthright about anything I asked. None of these guys had one bad thing to say about any other dealer or the boat. The gentleman in Utah even told me to buy from another guy because the deal on a used one was amazing! (it was red though and I am just not a red fan..lol ...I know I know...great deal on a 23' boat but I just couldn't buy a red one..) If you are looking for MB give any of these guys a call, they enjoy talking boats and will help you make a decision.

I can't wait until I get out on the lake. We are fair weather boaters so may be week or two but I am going to get more pictures here soon to throw up here. There are tons of guys with MB's so you really know what she looks like but without the X mine is a bit different. I think she is one sexy boat, and sitting on that trailer she really is sexy. Boatmate did an outstanding job as well, I couldn't be happier with my decision.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-24-2012, 6:59 AM Reply   
Oh and I will continue to compare wakes and surf wave once I get to ride this summer.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-24-2012, 7:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the honest review.Sounds like Epic really didn't appreciate the repeat sales.If I had gotten the cold shoulder after repeat purchases,it would have soured me to some degree too. We will be patient on the pics as I realize it's not great boating weather up there yet. Enjoy your new toy!
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-24-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
Tomorrow should be driveway beer night! lol Turn the tunes on put a coat of wax on and take some pictures! So my hope is very very soon to have pictures up.

yeah I was and am pretty sour to say the least
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-24-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your experience with Epic. That is certainly curious behavior considering your history with them and all the work you've done to promote them over the years.

But the good news is that you have landed in a better boat, and you saved money to boot!
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-24-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
Apparently they rather blow money on being a Boating World "digital copy" sponsor than take care of people who have helped promote the brand for the last 10 years. That's not going to win any fans over on here...

(The hard to read red print says "celebrating 10 years of innovation")
Attached Images

Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-24-2012, 12:19 PM Reply   
It sucks Epic did you like that Scott. You were their #1 promoter on here.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-24-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
Yay, now it's going to be a hogpile on Epic thread.

Nice MB - lets leave it at that.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-24-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
How far are you from the nearest MB dealer?

i am guessing that MB does not have any dealer territories. Malibu dealers were all very helpful and nice to me as well (especially Central Texas), but when it came time to purchase they prefer you work through your local dealer. I believe MC and nautique are this way as well.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-24-2012, 1:09 PM Reply   
Jeff - I don't want it to become an Epic thread at all, but I thought since I was a huge Epic guy I thought the WW people should know how it went down. Each business chooses how to run and I can't fault them for that decision. So I am hopeful this doesn't become a pile on Epic thread. that was not the intention, just since I was sooo pro Epic for so long and my buying experience wasn't what I had hoped I thought it was fair to at least let it be known.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-24-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
Nearest MB dealer is Michigan, Indiana doesn't have a dealer at all. Which gave me freedom to call and look around. I would have liked to have a local person to support but they just don't exist.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-24-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
Scott - everyone is a ______ boat person until they buy an MB..

Nature of the beast.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2012, 3:01 PM Reply   
more pics please!!!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-24-2012, 6:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
Apparently they rather blow money on being a Boating World "digital copy" sponsor than take care of people who have helped promote the brand for the last 10 years. That's not going to win any fans over on here...

(The hard to read red print says "celebrating 10 years of innovation")
I would also add that Scott was a huge supporter on WW for Epic. Alot of young and new boat buyers come on here for advice.Now i don't think they will have anyone left to ring their bell!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-24-2012, 7:11 PM Reply   
Love the new ride! Classic lines! MB’s are like a wake boat on steroids!
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-24-2012, 8:04 PM Reply   
Great story. I just went down your path between a Sanger and MB. I went with Sanger but Mike is a great guy at MB and they build a solid boat for the money. Good luck and enjoy your ride.
Old     (rickB52)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-24-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post

I talked to MANY MANY dealers around the country and every single one of them were amazing to talk to. (Texas Mastercraft,

Boatmate did an outstanding job as well, I couldn't be happier with my decision.
Let me first say - beautiful boat...

I would also like to confirm the guys at TXMC (Todd, Craig and Michael) are great to deal with. I also customized my Boatmate trailer - those guys are great as well. Sent pics of different wheel choices on other customer trailers.

here is a quick pic of my new B52 23' - notice the rear step and LED's on the Boatmate trailer - custom from the standard (boatmate) MB template...
Attached Images

Old     (ryoder)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-24-2012, 10:25 PM Reply   
Scott, Do you ever ride up around syracuse or wawasee? we have a pretty big crew of good riders if you are ever interested!
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-25-2012, 6:55 AM Reply   
Love that line....Jeff..

Yeah I was a huge supporter, washed my hands of them and not looking back. Only forward.

Allen, we were up at lake tippy last year and this year we are renting a place on Chapman for a week so yeah I will be up that was once this year. Never been on Wawasee, heard it is huge though.

Pictures should come tomorrow...ball games last two nights and nothing tonight so getting her out to wax and just enjoy in the driveway.....
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-25-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
Looking forward to some more pictures. My spray date is May 8 and I have the same colors.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-25-2012, 7:12 AM Reply   
Jon .... same boat?
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-25-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
Jon .... same boat?
I went with the 23TWB
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-25-2012, 7:18 AM Reply   
Nice!