Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Cole K (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-07-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
New boat is home now I need some basic steps for cleaning it. I have had a few other boats, but this is my first new boat. I am looking for solid steps and products to use after each trip as well as yearly cleaning times/products/techniques. I read some other threads on here and can't quite get a clear picture of everything - one thread says one thing another says the opposite. I know there are products out there like babes and boat bling, I am more looking for products I don't have to order and wait for. I have access to all of the major retail stores as well as bass pro and west marine. They seem to carry meguiars, mothers, as well as plenty of others. I will go down the road of ordering online products, but I don't like the idea of getting home and realizing I am out of something. Much easier to run to the store and get something in this case. I have heard that using water/vinegar after putting boat on trailer at the launch ramp is a good idea but then read that it removes the wax. So that doesn't seem like a good solution.

So the interior is 95% white in the boat. I have only had it in the water one time so far and I swear it is getting dirty already. My last boat was older and had a white interior but I don't remember it getting dirty so easily. Do I need to seal it right away or what? It may be sealed already, not sure how to tell. I have never had a brand new interior so I really want to know how to keep it looking good.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old    Karl De Looff (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-07-2012, 3:20 PM Reply   
Basics: Magic eraser for scuffs and stains - works on vinyl and everything else. 303 cleaner for general vinyl cleanup, 303 protectant for vinyl and white gel coat. Boat wax, don't get really picky, I use Nu-finish every 3-4 weeks. After use wipe downs - 2-parts Zip-Wax to 14 parts white vinegar. It won't strip the wax, then, and it is really cheap. Boat wash - Rain-X car wash. Rain-X the windshield. Carpet, use a dilute carpet cleaner with a little fabric softener - soak down, shop-vac up. Rinse, shop-vac, air dry. Spray down with Scotch Guard for carpet. Engine oil - Penzoil Platinum, NAPA Gold or Wix filter. Change impeller every spring. Spray down entire engine with PB Blaster once a month - also electrical connections under the dash. Marine grade grease in rudder port every spring and in July. Really bad scum, on bottom of hull - muratic acid and rinse right away. Keep off aluminum and running gear. Bleach inside of ballast every spring, July, and at winter layup. I've learned this over 30-years and 4 boats. It works.
Old    Chris (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-07-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
Don't use the magic eraser on the vinyl, it takes off the top layer. It works, but over time will do more damge than good.
Old    NAW (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-07-2012, 5:36 PM Reply   
Karl-
PB Blaster is the stuff...but I've never though to use it on the boat. Engine, electrical, the hole 9 yards? Basically anything under the engine hatch?
Old    A.J. West (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-07-2012, 6:28 PM Reply   
Totally Awesome for the vinyl and it's $1 per bottle available at just about every dollar store. Follow up the Totally Awesome with a UV protectant like 303 or Babes Seat Saver. For wax I use Leverage and only microfiber towels. Hot Sauce for everyday wipe down for water spots.
Old    Joe (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2012, 6:50 PM Reply   
+1 for the babes products. Babes Boat bright is killer for an every day cleaner, plus it smells awesome! Babes boat soap works alright, but im a huge fan of the boat bright. You'll find different water reacts different to each cleaner because of hardness yada yada. Some people swear by vinegar and water, or ducky (which I use now and then) but i think it typically varies since lakes have different water!

For interior I forget what i use, its in a green-ish spray bottle? but its a UV and does a good job. I have also heard a little bit of lemon and water goes a long way....

I have never heard a bad thing about Boat Bling Hot Sauce....I have never tried it though.
Old    David Williams (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-07-2012, 9:29 PM Reply   
I've used Hot Sauce from Boat Bling to wipe down after the boat comes out of the water for quite some time and it works great. It's great for removing water spots and adds a little wax as well. It is not supposed to strip existing wax. I've also just gotten the rest of their products (Vinyl Sauce, Condition Sauce and Quickie Sauce), but I haven't had an opportunity to use those three yet. Plus Boat Bling is a WakeWorld sponsor, so I love supporting them!
Old    Zack Bale (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2012, 9:55 PM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat!

Be sure to put a good coat of silicone (non-carnuba) wax on the gel and a quality conditioner and UV protectant on the vinyl. These two items will make it much easier to maintain that "like new" look and feel without spending hours at the launch ramp after a day on the water. Keep the vinegar in the kitchen and away from the gel if you don't want to rewax!

There are a number of products on the market that will fit your needs so I'll leave the suggestions to others but if you're not looking at Boat Bling products because of a lack of retail options here's a few local dealers in the area (Gilbert, AZ based on your profile) . There are quite a few more but we're in the process of updating the website to include those dealers added more recently. Also off the top of my head I know Hot Sauce is sold at the Lake Pleasant and Bartlett marinas.

Thanks for the kind words Dave and a reminder to all other WW members we offer 10% off any online orders. Just enter the promo code WAKEWORLD at checkout.

If I can be of any help please don't hesitate to contact me directly!
zack@boatbling.net
Old    Karl De Looff (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-08-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
NAW. I spray down all my engines with it. Also, every electrical connection. Keep off exhaust manifolds and belts, but everything else. I also spray down the underside of the cars and suspension at every oil change or excuse to crawl under the car. Since then, I have not broken or stripped out a fastener. I have also not had a corrosion related electrical problem. Every connection comes apart and goes back together perfectly. It really works well. For safety, don't start motor for an hour afterward. PB Blaster is not really flammable, but I don't take the chance.