Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Rex Lex (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
would like a tower included but $7000 is really all I can afford.

what is this worth?
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsa...ort=&pagenum=2

or

http://texas.findanyboat.com/boats/1...-open-bow.html

Last edited by rexlex01; 08-18-2011 at 1:35 PM.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-18-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
That excel is worth more than hes asking, plus its posted from July, find out whats wrong with it.

Look for a nautique 2001 (82'-89') on craigslist.
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
That 92 CC would be cool..... even if you had to run with an extended pylon for a while & wait to add a tower.

Call this guy: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789626
Would be way better than the SeaRay you listed.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
Fair price on the Excel. I would take that 10 times out of 10 over that searay. Best bet is to save up for a while longer and stretch your budget to 10k. Then you should be able to find an old sunsport, 2001, sunsetter, 205, sport nautique. Some may even have a tower. All those should be in teh 7-15k range depending on condition and options.
Old    Diggs (pdxWAKE) (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-18-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
You can probably find some decent supras in that price range too.
Old    A-dub (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
I drive by this every week. I saw an advertised price of $8,999, I bet you could talk them down a lot. All refurbed, no work needed for an old one.

http://www.texasmotorcarsmckinney.co...ey-Texas-75407
Old    Rex Lex (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
What is the difference between the SKI and SPORT Nautiques?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-18-2011, 2:14 PM Reply   
Heres ur best pick for the money right now...guy just listed it after his summer use, only 7500 for tower, auto ballast etc.

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/sh...speakers-racks
Old    Rex Lex (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
Maybe I will hold out for a $10k boat like this 1997. Hours are high tho.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsa...ort=&pagenum=1

Last edited by rexlex01; 08-18-2011 at 2:34 PM.
Old    A-dub (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
Depends on the year, but in general:

Ski = Smaller, shorter, closed bow
Sport = Larger, longer, open bow
Old    SamIngram            08-18-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
For the money, I doubt you could find a better boat... specially if it is in good condition...

1975 Rayson Craft
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-18-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
Maybe I will hold out for a $10k boat like this 1997. Hours are high tho.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsa...ort=&pagenum=1
Research ur boats and spend lots of time on ccfan or planetnautique if ur set on CC. A 90' and newer ski nautique is not the hull u want for wakeboarding.

Unless its sport, barefoot, excel or when they started to roll out the SAN
Old    Rex Lex (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
For the money, I doubt you could find a better boat... specially if it is in good condition...

1975 Rayson Craft
I already have seen this nice boat.
I just cannot do yellow.
Old    Rex Lex (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2011, 2:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Research ur boats and spend lots of time on ccfan or planetnautique if ur set on CC. A 90' and newer ski nautique is not the hull u want for wakeboarding.

Unless its sport, barefoot, excel or when they started to roll out the SAN
yeah, I just would like composite stringers, but if in good shape I cant be choosy
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-18-2011, 2:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
yeah, I just would like composite stringers, but if in good shape I cant be choosy
Then i suggest saving up more $ and look at spending $10-12k if ur looking at CC. 93' and new r composite.

Do you need an open bow for family size?

Old    Rex Lex (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2011, 2:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Then i suggest saving up more $ and look at spending $10-12k if ur looking at CC. 93' and new r composite.

Do you need an open bow for family size?

not really, but would sure help resale.
Old    Rex Lex (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
How much more does a 90's "sport" weigh over a "ski" including trailer?
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
Maybe I will hold out for a $10k boat like this 1997. Hours are high tho.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsa...ort=&pagenum=1
Average of 83 hrs per year. Thats pretty good. I read somewhere the national average is around 75 per yr. but that can vary depending on if the boat is from Florida or Wisconsin.

And unused boat can have issues too. I bought an MC 205 yrs ago that had an average of 12 hrs/year on it. I fought dry rot problems with it for quite a while, every rubber hose, belt, impeller, thread, stitching, etc. had to be replaced. So method of storage should be looked into if it's super low hrs (this boat was kept in a barn in a really dry climate).

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 08-18-2011 at 2:59 PM.
Old    K B (kbt01)      Join Date: May 2011       08-18-2011, 3:03 PM Reply   
Sent you a pm. Let me know if your interested.
Old    Rex Lex (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2011, 3:09 PM Reply   
Wish I could afford this:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsa...ort=&pagenum=1
Old    SamIngram            08-18-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
I already have seen this nice boat.
I just cannot do yellow.
Ahh... a form over function guy!
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
You are at a tough budget for a 90's inboard.

To give you an example, I just sold my I/O a couple months ago. 1989 Sea Ray 160 I/O. Had a 3.0L Mercrusier I swapped for a brand new one in 2006. Otherwise, it was in good condition for the year, interior was original but in good shape for its age, original outdrive, and a trailer that was a total POS (rusty, entire brake system shot). I had it sold in 3 days for $4000 without even trying. I know I could have got $4500 for it, and likely could have got $5000 if I was wiling to put some work into listing it and sat on it a bit.
Old    Rex Lex (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2011, 4:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
You are at a tough budget for a 90's inboard.

To give you an example, I just sold my I/O a couple months ago. 1989 Sea Ray 160 I/O. Had a 3.0L Mercrusier I swapped for a brand new one in 2006. Otherwise, it was in good condition for the year, interior was original but in good shape for its age, original outdrive, and a trailer that was a total POS (rusty, entire brake system shot). I had it sold in 3 days for $4000 without even trying. I know I could have got $4500 for it, and likely could have got $5000 if I was wiling to put some work into listing it and sat on it a bit.
Did you wakeboard with that 3.0?

I dont think it is a tough budget considering this 4.6 V6 with tower for $5500:
http://texas.findanyboat.com/boats/1...-open-bow.html
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2011, 4:37 PM Reply   
That boat is a bad consideration. The tower will not be sturdy. The boat itself will not live up to expectations (good wake, consistent pull, etc.). Lots of us have had these I/Os in the beginning... including me. But after a year or two, everyone sells & most riders get into an inboard of some kind.
The 3.0 liter will barely pull a good sized guy up. And only on the largest of boards. I doubt it would ever pull up a 200 lb rider on a slalom ski or a wakeskate.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2011, 5:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
That boat is a bad consideration. The tower will not be sturdy. The boat itself will not live up to expectations (good wake, consistent pull, etc.). Lots of us have had these I/Os in the beginning... including me. But after a year or two, everyone sells & most riders get into an inboard of some kind.
The 3.0 liter will barely pull a good sized guy up. And only on the largest of boards. I doubt it would ever pull up a 200 lb rider on a slalom ski or a wakeskate.
You are very wrong about the 3.0L

- I am 6'3", 225 lbs.
- My 3.0L would pull me slalom. I even pulled slalom with 5 adults on the boat (probably 800lbs total on the boat). It did struggle getting me up with the full load of people, but it did it.
- EASILY pulled anyone up on a wakeboard, as that takes nothing. Never tried any ballast with that boat, no tower. It made for a very crappy wake boat for sure, but getting people out of the water wasn't an issue.
Old    Cory D (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-18-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
Don't get an I/O, you will regret it. This time last year I was trying to sell my I/O to buy an inboard. I started at $5000 and at the end was asking $2500 for my I/O. It was a nice 21' in good condition and actually threw a nice wake. Had a 260 HP 350 Chevy motor and was bad at holding speed at the sweet spot for riding. I could hold it perfect but no one else could so I never got a good pull. I ended up getting a Supra Saltare and paid cash plus gave the dude my I/O. Just a lucky deal to find someone to take the I/O off my hands, and I liked the Saltare so it worked out well.

Under $8000 if you want an open bow you're pretty much in older Supras. That's it, nothing else unless you get really lucky and find an MC 205 or Sport Nautique for a bargain... Don't hold your breathe. If you don't mind a closed bow you can look at SN 2001.That's about it in that price rnage if you want a good wake. Under $8k and you're gonna have a wood boat unless you want a Prostar 190, no room and a tiny wake. Check the stringers for rot. Like I said, watch for Prostar 205 or Sport Nautique but you're realistically in a 2001 or Supra. In the Supra line look for a SunSport, Rider, or Saltare, they have the most freeboard. Closed bow versions of the same boats are Marauder for the 20' and Pirata for the 23' and usually go a little cheaper than the open bow boats.Just don't waste your time and money on an I/O, you will regret it.
Old    A-dub (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-19-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
If you want to get out and ride, get an 80's inboard. If you want to worry and over think about getting the right boat, then wait, but be prepared to search for a while. I wouldn't let the fact that a boat had wood turn you away, because realistically, most boats in your price range will have wood. It's fine if their still in good shape.
Old    Dave Kiehl (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-19-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
What is wrong with my Yellow Rayson Craft? Make me an offer! It has all the goodies, tower, bimini, heater, perfect pass, ballast. It is a V-Drive. Im in San Jose, CA.
Old    Rex Lex (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-21-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Research ur boats and spend lots of time on ccfan or planetnautique if ur set on CC. A 90' and newer ski nautique is not the hull u want for wakeboarding.

Unless its sport, barefoot, excel or when they started to roll out the SAN

Dude, you are not kidding on the 90' + ski n. - watch this video for proof http://www.crlvideo.com/nautique/
Old    Chattwake (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-23-2011, 6:10 AM Reply   
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=88134

1986 ski nautique 2001 - $8k.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 3:46 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us