Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    CORY MITCHELL (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-04-2011, 3:39 PM Reply   
i guess its all in what you like as to what side of the fence your on.
i bought my first wakeboard in '99 and started riding then.

i cant help but notice how cable parks have seemingly taken over the sport.
im a purist i guess i LOVE WAKEboarding behind a boat. when i buy a DVD or watch a online vid, if its cable, winch, or wakeskate i imidiatly skip it. im just not into the spin offs. its not that i hate them, i tried them all, but prefer WAKEboarding behind a boat. and i definatly have mad respect and appreciation for there skills that i could never achieve, but just not something i enjoy.

what im getting at is ive noticed this trend growing massivly. posts on online forums, vids posted, and the nail in the coffin, im not sure if yall have opened this months transworld wake mag, but the entire thing is cable and winch. i guess it just pushed my buttons. the only part about WAKEboarding in the entire mag is a couple pages about special edition boats. just got frustrated i guess.

anyone else prefer plain ol WAKEboarding, and not into the cable thing?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-04-2011, 4:21 PM Reply   
I totally prefer plain old boat riding. I haven't tried cable, but it really doesn't appeal to me. I'm probably going to have to resort to it for the sake of my own progression because it's impossible for me to find consistent boat riding time in the winter. I don't have a boat and the people I usually ride with only go on Saturdays in the winter.

I figure cable riding is a lot better than no riding, and I imagine I'll grow to like it once I get into it. But I'd much rather be riding boat all year round. As for the spectacle of cable riding, I find it a little boring. I've been to a pro cable contest, and it was impressive, but boat riding is just so much cooler to watch, especially in videos.

Cable is all the rage right now, but I think that once the economy picks back up, boat riding will become more affordable and more popular again. I don't know which will predominate in the future, but I don't think boat riding will ever completely fade away.
Old    Ben Wilcox (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-04-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
I am not so extreme as you, but I prefer to watch and participate in boat riding. Probably because its what I do most frequently, and am therefore best at that, but for me there's nothing better than hitting a wake, doing some soul carves, or hanging out in the boat. Cable is fun once in a while, but I'll always love the boat.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-04-2011, 4:26 PM Reply   
You ought to try a cable park Cory.Are you closer to Texas Ski Ranch or the new park in Houston?Itried it and it presents a different set of challenges.Plus you can sky off the big kickers!
Old    CORY MITCHELL (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-04-2011, 4:40 PM Reply   
i have. cable and winch
just not my cup of tea. but the industry seems to be really focusing on it.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-04-2011, 4:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
i have. cable and winch
just not my cup of tea. but the industry seems to be really focusing on it.
I think it's a way to expose more people to wakeboarding.I also like the boat better,but it gets too cold to go year round up here in Va.So i go to Florida and Texas in the winter for a tune up.
Old    Damo Cox (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-04-2011, 5:13 PM Reply   
I love boat riding but in saying that i ride way more cable... the reason that cable is becoming so big is it makes it more accessible for everyone, don't need to get a crew together, don't need to go buy a boat you just rock up and get your shred on and chill with the crew thats down there... wakeboarding is wakeboarding i don't know why people try to segregate it... the reason why its so publicized is because with out cable and winching the sport isn't going to grow i know i wouldn't be riding anywhere near as much as i wanted if there wasn't a cable down the road from my house because over winter everyone I know with a boat seems to be living in Orlando.. haha
Old    CORY MITCHELL (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-04-2011, 5:18 PM Reply   
i agree 100% cable is going to make it available to the masses.
i do have to disagree with you that without cable wakeboarding cant grow though.

i guess the post was just really about how the idustry is just so focused on it right now. seems like us boaters are just getting forgoten almost.
i guess i just wish printed media and vids had more boat coverage, and product development direction too.
Old    Geoff Fagien (gfagien)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-04-2011, 5:46 PM Reply   
My 2 cents....

Wakeboarding started behind boat but will end behind cable.

If anyone wants the entire industry of wakeboarding to reach the masses it will be through cables, they are more accessible, they are cheaper, and if you give them a chance they are fun.

The problems with boats are that

1. They are expensive
2. maintenance
3. you don't have a boat and don't live in an area with many wakeboarders? good luck wakeboarding....


Cables , 2.0 systems, and winches are what will bring wakeboarding from an indy sport to a proper extreme sport.

Again my 2 cents, we will see where we all are in the next 5 years.
Old    Dwight Kinley (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-04-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
I'm sort of with you on this one....

however, do make sure you check out the reader's section of this month's Transworld WAKEboarding and checkup the writeup they published on this shot taken of me this spring:



no need for a boat, winch, cable... just a JEEP
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-04-2011, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfagien View Post
My 2 cents....

Wakeboarding started behind boat but will end behind cable.

If anyone wants the entire industry of wakeboarding to reach the masses it will be through cables, they are more accessible, they are cheaper, and if you give them a chance they are fun.

The problems with boats are that

1. They are expensive
2. maintenance
3. you don't have a boat and don't live in an area with many wakeboarders? good luck wakeboarding....


Cables , 2.0 systems, and winches are what will bring wakeboarding from an indy sport to a proper extreme sport.

Again my 2 cents, we will see where we all are in the next 5 years.
Am I the only who's not sure they want this? My favorite thing about wakeboarding is that it's small and "indy". I've only been riding for 10 months and I've already been lucky enough to ride with 3 different current and former pros, and they've all taken a personal interest in my progression and nurtured my love for the sport. You don't get that in a "proper extreme sport".

I don't want to see wakeboarding to get so big that it stops being about fun and becomes all about the money. I don't want it to be so big that pros don't have time to shake my hand, let alone ride with me. I don't want it to get so big that I can't convince myself that I have a realistic shot at climbing up the competitive ranks, if only by a couple of divisions.

Don't get me wrong: I love to see progression with riding and board technology and I do wish there was more of a wakeboarding scene in my home state of Connecticut, but I want wakeboarding to be the chill sport full of great people with small egos that it is. And if that means I don't get to see wakeboarding in the X-Games, so be it!

Last edited by TheHebrewHammer; 07-04-2011 at 6:45 PM. Reason: addition
Old    Benj Trogdon (BenjTrogdon)      Join Date: May 2011       07-04-2011, 6:57 PM Reply   
As long as im wakeboarding it really doesnt matter whats pulling me... Its about the ride, not the pull...
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-04-2011, 7:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjTrogdon View Post
As long as im wakeboarding it really doesnt matter whats pulling me... Its about the ride, not the pull...
...but the ride is different with a cable, a boat, a winch, a jeep, etc.
Old    Benj Trogdon (BenjTrogdon)      Join Date: May 2011       07-04-2011, 7:34 PM Reply   
^ Just a little though. Its all wakeboarding no matter what you're riding behind. In my opinion at least

Last edited by BenjTrogdon; 07-04-2011 at 7:38 PM.
Old    Ben Wilcox (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-04-2011, 8:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Am I the only who's not sure they want this? My favorite thing about wakeboarding is that it's small and "indy". I've only been riding for 10 months and I've already been lucky enough to ride with 3 different current and former pros, and they've all taken a personal interest in my progression and nurtured my love for the sport. You don't get that in a "proper extreme sport".
I'd have to disagree with you there. Snowboarding pros run plenty of camps, and take interest in plenty of campers. You just dont hear about it as often because the pro to camper ratio is so much smaller. I think no matter now big wakeboarding gets, pros will still be awesome and down to earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
I don't want to see wakeboarding to get so big that it stops being about fun and becomes all about the money. I don't want it to be so big that pros don't have time to shake my hand, let alone ride with me. I don't want it to get so big that I can't convince myself that I have a realistic shot at climbing up the competitive ranks, if only by a couple of divisions.
We're already seeing large companies put smaller companies out of business. I'm not sure how much more "about the money" the industry side of wakeboarding will get, but this seems pretty extreme to me. Wakeboarding is what you make of it. If you dont have fun doing a sport because the industry is too large, that really sucks. And if you dont believe you can improve enough to compete at a higher level, you wont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Don't get me wrong: I love to see progression with riding and board technology and I do wish there was more of a wakeboarding scene in my home state of Connecticut, but I want wakeboarding to be the chill sport full of great people with small egos that it is. And if that means I don't get to see wakeboarding in the X-Games, so be it!
There's a fine line between having a low key sport with a tight knit group of pros, and a sport that everyone can enjoy. And I really dont see finding a balance to be a realistic possibility. Either its popular and it gets huge, or its small and chill and stagnant because there are no investors. Cant have both.

I'm not trying to pick on you personally, and I would love to agree with several of your points, but its just not possible to have the dream sport that we all hope for. Wakeboarding is what we make of it, and as long as we love at least one aspect of it, its all good.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-04-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
very good points^^^
Old    CORY MITCHELL (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-04-2011, 8:42 PM Reply   
yeah dwight i saw and read that already
what caught my eye is that, thats my exact tow vehicle, that model grand cherokee, color and all


this is way off subject, but a few of you have gone there.
me and audrey were talking how WBing differs from other major sports, ie if your into pro football or baseball, you have hundreds of guys to choose from as your favorite. in wakeboarding you have about 25. not sure how or why it came up but we were discussing it
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-04-2011, 8:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
me and audrey were talking how WBing differs from other major sports, ie if your into pro football or baseball, you have hundreds of guys to choose from as your favorite. in wakeboarding you have about 25. not sure how or why it came up but we were discussing it
Is this good or bad in your opinion? I think the more interesting comparison is that for every wakeboarder trying to go pro there are probably 1000 or so football players trying to go pro.
Old    Damo Cox (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-04-2011, 9:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjTrogdon View Post
^ Just a little though. Its all wakeboarding no matter what you're riding behind. In my opinion at least
I with you its all wakeboarding. theres no need for segregation of each aspect of the sport...
I ride more cable than I do boat, but i love riding behind boats! reason for this is I can't afford to buy and maintain a boat, the reason cable and winching gets so much publicity is because its so accessable to everyone, all you got to do is show up n get your shred on!

with out cable the sport is not going to grow, with out the sport growing there will be less progression and innovation which would probably mean that wakeboarding would slowly drift in to the shadows there would be less board companys doing anything to progress and be innovative as there would be no damand for change....

you just have to love to wakeboard for the right reasons wether your a boat rider, cable rider or you go winching....
Old    Henry Gates (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-04-2011, 9:39 PM Reply   
Im sure there will always be people riding a wakeboard behind a boat so long as there is boards, ropes, handles and boats being produced and distributed. I am a huge fan of riding behind a boat but I do like the whole cable scene. I feel that it helps expose wakeboarding and will ultimately get more people involved. It also is a fun, nice break from riding boat all the time.
Old    Adam Silcio (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-04-2011, 9:43 PM Reply   
i think what people don't realize, is cable riding actually helps out your boat riding. different ways to learn line tension, balance, and board control all help out every aspect of your riding. i would only tell people to knock it AFTER they have at least given it a chance and tried it. for the longest time, i didn't care for cable or rails for that matter. honestly, i think its about the influence in your area. i started hanging out with some riders that were big in to winching and hitting rails and it just wore on me to the point where i became curious. then having the opportunities to hang out with pro riders and get a piece of their mind, also opens up your riding to more diversity. i think its a growing experience. i think people who ride behind the boat for their first couple of years, stick to the boat but maybe as they get more involved with the sport like i did, they naturally grow in several directions instead of one. that was my personal experience. now i hit rails just as much as i ride boat.

some people want to stay behind the boat and that's fine. others want to be a complete rider. i take my hat off to those who at least try it. but that's just my opinion.
Old    Justin Harrelson (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-05-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
Dead-on Adam.

I am an old wakeboarder and new to cable. Cable has been a blast to learn and it definately has made me stronger behind the boat.
Old    Derek (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-05-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
I would love to try cable wakeboarding, but up here in CT there are not many options to participate in that. We have one small park but i'm not ready to shell out 30 bucks for an afternoon hitting one rail and a small kicker..

I find behind the boat videos to be far more entertaining too. Just so much more style and variety when you're jumping the wake, I find.


For now, you'll still find me behind that boat.
Old    John James (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-05-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
the more people at the cable park..... the less out on the water, hopefully.
Old    Derek (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-05-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyy7 View Post
the more people at the cable park..... the less out on the water, hopefully.
amen brother... might be the best point ever made on this website in regards to cableboarding haha.
Old    Chris (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-05-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfagien View Post
My 2 cents....

Wakeboarding started behind boat but will end behind cable.

If anyone wants the entire industry of wakeboarding to reach the masses it will be through cables, they are more accessible, they are cheaper, and if you give them a chance they are fun.

The problems with boats are that

1. They are expensive
2. maintenance
3. you don't have a boat and don't live in an area with many wakeboarders? good luck wakeboarding....


Cables , 2.0 systems, and winches are what will bring wakeboarding from an indy sport to a proper extreme sport.

Again my 2 cents, we will see where we all are in the next 5 years.
I doubt it's going to end with cable, they both still be around as long as the sport is around. Just different ways to enjoy the sport. I prefer boat riding, becasue I love the atmosphere of the boat itself. Riding is just part of the fun of having a boat.
Old    A-dub (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-05-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
Cable will make it into the 2020 Olympics. Go invest into it now, it's going to blow up. And if you think that's a bad thing, that's your personal opinion, but snowboarding saved the Winter Olympics, and Cable is going global, it's only a matter of time.
Old    Ryan Allison (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatantblunts View Post
I would love to try cable wakeboarding, but up here in CT there are not many options to participate in that. We have one small park but i'm not ready to shell out 30 bucks for an afternoon hitting one rail and a small kicker..

I find behind the boat videos to be far more entertaining too. Just so much more style and variety when you're jumping the wake, I find.


For now, you'll still find me behind that boat.
how long do you get to ride for $30?

because for me 3 15-20 minute sets behind the boat would cost me at LEAST $30 so now ive spent $30 for about 45 minutes maybe one hour of riding. This 45 min of riding the only thing i would be able to hit is two sides of a boat wake.....

If your referring to the brownstone park in Connecticut i made a short 2min phone call for you and it turns out the pass is only $28.00 and that is for a full day (all day long) of wakeboarding. They are open 10-7 so for that $28.00 that you would have to shell out you would get to ride for NINE HOURS!!!!! and they have a new obstacle so that means you wont get bored learning air tricks, hitting the rail, doing everything off the kicker you would do on the wake since there is another obstacle(the lady i spoke to didnt know what it was)

sooooooo what im getting at is you should go check it out i guarantee you will have a blast.

I LOVE wakeboarding.

i ride both cable and boat. im fortunate enough to ride behind a boat 1-3 times a week, and cable once every month or two. If i had a cable park anywhere near me i would be there almost everyday. When you get off work its not practical to pull out the boat and get a set before sundown but it is very easy to go get 2 hours or more after work at a cable park. as many others have already pointed out owning a boat is expensive and not everyone is at the level financially in there life that this is possible. cable is very accessible and super fun.

Last edited by devildog_ra; 07-05-2011 at 3:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old    Geoff Fagien (gfagien)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-05-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Cable will make it into the 2020 Olympics. Go invest into it now, it's going to blow up. And if you think that's a bad thing, that's your personal opinion, but snowboarding saved the Winter Olympics, and Cable is going global, it's only a matter of time.
Spot on, cable will be an Olympic sport....

Not everyone's going to like it but then cable wakeboarding isn't for them.
Old    John Anderson (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-05-2011, 3:50 PM Reply   
Why do guys who never ride the cable get so butthurt over it?
Old    Eubanks (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-05-2011, 3:59 PM Reply   
To each his own, but it's a proven fact that boat riding is better.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-05-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
I'm a boat rider and I'm going to try cable for the first time tomorrow so I'll let you know what I think then! I'm actually really excited to try it.
Old    Geoff Fagien (gfagien)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-05-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
I doubt it's going to end with cable, they both still be around as long as the sport is around. Just different ways to enjoy the sport. I prefer boat riding, becasue I love the atmosphere of the boat itself. Riding is just part of the fun of having a boat.
very true, i might of been a bit blunt on that, but in the end no one will ever win an issue like this,
(at least right now)

like I said in my earlier post, 5 years from now, we will all know where the sport will evolve to.

But until then everything is pretty much banter and speculation.

Even though i pretty much only ride/Film behind the cable i still have love for the boat.

I just go to the cable more
Old    Justin Harrelson (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-05-2011, 5:18 PM Reply   
Are there any sports in the olympics that are motor driven (Gas or Electric)?? I personally find the olymics a little snewdy for my taste and the IOC is very crooked. They will milk a sport to death just to deny them in the end (3 event waterskiing)
Old    Henry Gates (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-05-2011, 5:39 PM Reply   
cable is deifnitely the more cost efficient way to wakeboard no argument there
Old    Adam Levitt (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-05-2011, 6:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Cable will make it into the 2020 Olympics. Go invest into it now, it's going to blow up. And if you think that's a bad thing, that's your personal opinion, but snowboarding saved the Winter Olympics, and Cable is going global, it's only a matter of time.
http://yhoo.it/qxRiE5

Re: the official announcement about wakeboarding (note, no waterskiing) being considered for the 2020 Olympics. "Rollersports" aka skateboarding will probably make it in well before wake in my honest opinion. This link says nothing about boat or cable, but I did see a link earlier that specifically mentions cable; I'll try to dig it up.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-05-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
I don't think extreme spots belong in the olympics.
Old    Joe Pinkston (BigTEX)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-05-2011, 11:17 PM Reply   
Who Cares?
Old    Adam Silcio (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-06-2011, 7:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Dead-on Adam.

I am an old wakeboarder and new to cable. Cable has been a blast to learn and it definately has made me stronger behind the boat.
hahah, justin i met you at the Mid Summer Classic two weeks ago. i was judging the contest then we saw each other again at Wake Nation the next day. those wrapped 3-2-1's are so sick bro!
Old    Jo Shmoe (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-06-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
"cable is definitely the more cost efficient way to wakeboard"
Find a cheap jet ski (or boat) and it would be cheaper than cableboarding
http://new-jersey.freeboatshopper.co...-for-sale.html
Old    Adam Levitt (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
I don't think extreme spots belong in the olympics.
I don't think the term "extreme sports" belongs in today's vocabulary.
Old    Small Light (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-06-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
If you read Andrew Adkison's interview on the home page, it really lends itself to this argument. The idea that cable is different than wake riding is just retarded. Like someone said on Cisco's most recent dumb post, shred is shred. Any person that says they love this sport but don't like cable riding has missed the point of this sport all together. It's riding, its fun and as soon as you leave the politics and negative opinions out of it, your life is better. We all have opinions and that is cool but my opinion is that if you are limiting yourself to only wake riding (& bitching about the alternatives) you are missing out on some of the best parts of WAKEboarding!
Old    Mitch (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
This is just like water skiers hating wakeboarding when it came around and starting getting all the media attention. Wakeboarding has more mass appeal than water skiing (big air, tricks, ect) and cable has more mass appeal than boat riding (no big up front cost of a boat, big air, kickers, rails, easier to spectate). And by mass appeal i mean outside viewers that might not even participate. Watersports are small and you have to tap into that outside group to keep the sport growing. If the sport doesnt grow, pros wont get paid, and there wont be the motivation to keep innovating and risking their bodies. Just think of how much competition their would and where the level of riding would be if pros didnt have to have day jobs. It would awesome
Old    Derek (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-06-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog_ra View Post
how long do you get to ride for $30?

because for me 3 15-20 minute sets behind the boat would cost me at LEAST $30 so now ive spent $30 for about 45 minutes maybe one hour of riding. This 45 min of riding the only thing i would be able to hit is two sides of a boat wake.....

If your referring to the brownstone park in Connecticut i made a short 2min phone call for you and it turns out the pass is only $28.00 and that is for a full day (all day long) of wakeboarding. They are open 10-7 so for that $28.00 that you would have to shell out you would get to ride for NINE HOURS!!!!! and they have a new obstacle so that means you wont get bored learning air tricks, hitting the rail, doing everything off the kicker you would do on the wake since there is another obstacle(the lady i spoke to didnt know what it was)

sooooooo what im getting at is you should go check it out i guarantee you will have a blast.

I LOVE wakeboarding.

i ride both cable and boat. im fortunate enough to ride behind a boat 1-3 times a week, and cable once every month or two. If i had a cable park anywhere near me i would be there almost everyday. When you get off work its not practical to pull out the boat and get a set before sundown but it is very easy to go get 2 hours or more after work at a cable park. as many others have already pointed out owning a boat is expensive and not everyone is at the level financially in there life that this is possible. cable is very accessible and super fun.
QUOTED FROM captain_vilfo in connecticut brownstone park
Just came back. Heres what I learned..

- If you are a goofy rider its tough cause everything is set up for regular riders (I suck so my toeside is limited)
- The cable line slacks a ton so it has a very unstable pull
- If it rains at all they shut it down because of the off chance the 7000 dollar remote gets wet
- You are allowed two full runs back and forth and you have to give it up for the next person, today wasnt too crowded but expect a 15-30min wait between sets
- Kicker is nothing too special, about 4-5 feet tall pretty gradual.
- A-frame rail is hard to lock on because of the unstable pull of the cable but if you are regular or really good at goofy then you should have little to no problem

All in all place for cable was about 4 out of 10 but there are a ton of other activites to do such a ziplines etc which make the place a ton of fun
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry Ryan, my money is much better spent behind the boat. I'm not a big fan of 3 minutes of cableboarding and 20 minutes of waiting in line. I'll take my few 15 min sets ACTUALLY wakeboarding. its too bad that you don't find 45 minutes hitting 'only' two sides of the wake to be enough bang for your 30 bucks... you must be doing something wrong (maybe trying to "cableboard" too much behind the boat, instead of actually wakeboarding).

Oh well, thank you for the wasted call to brownstone. Cheers!

Last edited by blatantblunts; 07-06-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old    Chris (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-06-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
I'd love to try cable, figure it could help my boat riding a ton. Still I enjoy being on the lake with friends, hanging out with friends while others ride, then hanging in the cove when the water is bad, camping, listening to my music and not someone elses.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-06-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
There seems to be a pretty angry backlash here. People who say they don't like cable are being called retarded, etc. It's ok to not like cable. There's nothing wrong with that. Not liking cable doesn't make you any less of a wakeboarder or mean you love the sport any less.

I'm trying cable in just a few hours. Can't wait!
Old    CORY MITCHELL (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-06-2011, 1:42 PM Reply   
WHOA!!!!!
this thread took a crazy turn for the dark side!
note my origonal post wasnt bashing cable at all!
the whole point was that the industry and media seems to be solely focused on it. all i was really compaining about is that i wish mags and online vids had more boat riding. that there all about cable right now.

the future of the sport, binifits of cable, olympics, commercializing the sport, cost effectiveness etc should/could have there own thread.

btw i also dont like celery :lol:
Old    John Anderson (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-06-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
"cable is definitely the more cost efficient way to wakeboard"
Find a cheap jet ski (or boat) and it would be cheaper than cableboarding
http://new-jersey.freeboatshopper.co...-for-sale.html
Well, I can do a couple inverts behind the boat and a couple on the cable. But I doubt that I could do much behind a Jet Ski.
Old    Joe Pinkston (BigTEX)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-06-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatantblunts View Post
QUOTED FROM captain_vilfo in connecticut brownstone park
Just came back. Heres what I learned..

- If you are a goofy rider its tough cause everything is set up for regular riders (I suck so my toeside is limited)
- The cable line slacks a ton so it has a very unstable pull
- If it rains at all they shut it down because of the off chance the 7000 dollar remote gets wet
- You are allowed two full runs back and forth and you have to give it up for the next person, today wasnt too crowded but expect a 15-30min wait between sets
- Kicker is nothing too special, about 4-5 feet tall pretty gradual.
- A-frame rail is hard to lock on because of the unstable pull of the cable but if you are regular or really good at goofy then you should have little to no problem

All in all place for cable was about 4 out of 10 but there are a ton of other activites to do such a ziplines etc which make the place a ton of fun
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry Ryan, my money is much better spent behind the boat. I'm not a big fan of 3 minutes of cableboarding and 20 minutes of waiting in line. I'll take my few 15 min sets ACTUALLY wakeboarding. its too bad that you don't find 45 minutes hitting 'only' two sides of the wake to be enough bang for your 30 bucks... you must be doing something wrong (maybe trying to "cableboard" too much behind the boat, instead of actually wakeboarding).

Oh well, thank you for the wasted call to brownstone. Cheers!
Sounds like you need to go to a real park
Old    Mitch (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
Cory, by saying "cableboarding" it is implied that you are against it since it is a derogatory term. Only people that dont like cable wakeboarding call it cableboarding.You knew what you were doing when you typed it...
Old    Ryan Allison (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
Derek im not bashing or hating you, just trying to urge you to try the cable out because you said "i'm not ready to shell out 30 bucks for an afternoon hitting one rail and a small kicker.." when in reality your ride to wait ratio is much better at the cable park than behind the boat (for $30) just go with a friend or two so that your excruciatingly long wait to get back on the cable wont be so bad. the point of my post was to let you know that you can do just as much if not more on those two obstacles than you can behind a boat. Is it the same as landing a trick off the wake? no. but it sure is more bang for your buck.
Old    CORY MITCHELL (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-06-2011, 4:00 PM Reply   
actually mitch your wrong, i had no idea it was a derogitory statement to be completely honest with you i didnt even know that term had been used before. i guess i have never come across that before. coincidence, not on purpose.
Old    Chris (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-06-2011, 5:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog_ra View Post
Derek im not bashing or hating you, just trying to urge you to try the cable out because you said "i'm not ready to shell out 30 bucks for an afternoon hitting one rail and a small kicker.." when in reality your ride to wait ratio is much better at the cable park than behind the boat (for $30) just go with a friend or two so that your excruciatingly long wait to get back on the cable wont be so bad. the point of my post was to let you know that you can do just as much if not more on those two obstacles than you can behind a boat. Is it the same as landing a trick off the wake? no. but it sure is more bang for your buck.
While I think cable parks will be fun to hit in future I doubt my wait to ride ratio could get much better than it is behind my boat. I can ride as long and as many times as I want. Depending on the ballast I put in the boat, I could spend a solid hour behind my boat riding if I so choose. I don't think cable is more bang for my buck, the lake offers so much more. I can hydrofoil, I can surf, I can hang out and have a beer in the cove, I can camp on the shore. I get to drive my boat, which I love to do. I think cable is an awesome subsititute for the boat when you can't get on one, but if I had a choose between the two I'll take the boat dollar for dollar any day of the week. Taht all being said I'm excited to getout and hit the new cable park out here at some point.
Old    Kevin Zoodsma (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-06-2011, 6:36 PM Reply   
Some will like boat more than cable, others will like cable more than boat. I spend alot of busy days on the lake wakesurfing which is just not possible behind cable. Lots of boat owners will also tell you they mainly enjoy loading up on a boat with friends for the day.

The nearest round cable is 6 hours a way and we plan trips there once or twice a year. It's just another option to take wakeboarding in new directions. What's wrong with that?

You say cable is taking over, but I think it's just the fact that its much easier to capture video at a park. No chase boat needed, no one sitting on a tube to capture the different angles. I mean if everyone was taking videos from built in tower cameras would you want to see those videos all day long?

this is like arguing about what type of snowboarding is better... park or back country?

Last edited by zoodsmak; 07-06-2011 at 6:40 PM.
Old    Will (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-06-2011, 7:08 PM Reply   
You know what, I think it really comes down to what is organizationally convenient!

I got sick of being the one to send 30 sms and get 1 reply that said can't make it on beautiful days; or the time it takes to prep/transport the boat and launch it, only to have the crew pull out at the last minute; $100+ fuel bills for a days riding; being stuck in the boat because no-one else has a licence... etc. Mostly it didn't bug me but the last season it has gotten on my nerves (especially not being able to get a crew.) The other problem is I'm now a father, and that means I can't be on the water for 4 hours straight. Gotta get in, get wet then get home!

Then, a system 2 opened in the area last year. I can be there in 15 min, ride for 2 hours (and actually get 1-2 hour of on water time, unlike a 20min set behind the boat because 6 others are waiting their turn). I've learned SO many insane tricks I never thought I'd land and my boat riding is so much stronger for it. I'm addicted to wakeboarding and cable only makes it better, In fact, I'd almost say I'm a convert from boat. Almost. Now if I had a decent wake boat instead of a fishing boat.........My wife would kill me....
Old    Jo Shmoe (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-07-2011, 7:21 AM Reply   
"Well, I can do a couple inverts behind the boat and a couple on the cable. But I doubt that I could do much behind a Jet Ski."
This should probably be a different thread-cheapest way to wakeboard-but if its inverts you want then its wakeboarding with a kite for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvtzVXUjGyk
oh, wait, when a wakeboarder gets pulled by a kite its called kiteboarding, but when he gets pulled by a cable its still wakeboarding? I don't use cableboarding as a negative connotation, I just think its more descriptive, if a friend said he went wakeboarding yesterday, I would assume he meant behind a boat.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-07-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
So I went "cableboarding" for the first time last night. It was less scary then I expected because I took a fall off the biggest kicker in the park and slid down the side of this funbox thing several times and didn't get hurt. However, it was also harder than I expected. I fell many times on the dock starts. I think it would be really fun if I got good at it, and I have a lot of respect for people who are because it's pretty hard, but I definitely still prefer boat.

Mainly, I think cable could be a great learning tool for me. I wanted to try a crow off the big kicker. I couldn't ride up it smoothly without slipping out, but if I could, I think learning a crow on that ramp would be easier and less painful than learning it behind the boat. I'm considering getting a season pass for the winter because I think it will help my boat riding a ton.
Old    John Anderson (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-07-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
if a friend said he went wakeboarding yesterday, I would assume he meant behind a boat.
I always say... I went to the cable. I have to laugh at all these people having communication problems and telling others what we should call wakeboarding.

Quote:
I think learning a crow on that ramp would be easier and less painful than learning it behind the boat.
Lots easier.
Old    Derek (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-07-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog_ra View Post
Derek im not bashing or hating you, just trying to urge you to try the cable out because you said "i'm not ready to shell out 30 bucks for an afternoon hitting one rail and a small kicker.." when in reality your ride to wait ratio is much better at the cable park than behind the boat (for $30) just go with a friend or two so that your excruciatingly long wait to get back on the cable wont be so bad. the point of my post was to let you know that you can do just as much if not more on those two obstacles than you can behind a boat. Is it the same as landing a trick off the wake? no. but it sure is more bang for your buck.
sorry for being a little brash the other day, these long days at work sitting inside the cubicle are killing me. I'm not hating cable man, I actually really am intrigued to try it. But lets face the facts, I live in Connecticut and up here we are better known for riding behind the boat, not on a cable; hence why there is only one park within 100 miles of my house. There's no doubt, if I lived in Texas or Florida i'd probably be at the cable every day i wasnt able to get out behind the boat.

it's just different situations for everyone man, that's all. While cable riders are all arguing that cable is better because they don't have access to a boat, I can sit here and argue that boat is better because I don't have access to a (good) cable park. We can go back and forth all day.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-07-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
There is one thing that a Cable can't do and that's keep a wife, kids and grandparents happy for an afternoon. We often go out with the whole family and fish, surf and wakeboard and being on the boat is just a great way for a family to spend quality time together. When you have little kids leaving them at home to go on the cable isn't always easy. On the flip side, me and a couple friends can go out with our kids for the evening on the boat and my 3 and 5 year old love to just come hang out and watch and this year they will be starting too (just got them a new LF Nemesis).

Now if I was a 17 year old kid who lived by a cable park, I can garuntee that is where you would find my 5 nights a week.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-08-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
snowboarding is the same weather your riding park, ak lines, or street rails, the name never changes, skateboarding is the same, even rollerblading is the same, why would you change the name of the sport to "cableboarding" just because your getting towed different.. wow. this thread is retarded.
Old    Jo Shmoe (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-08-2011, 5:03 PM Reply   
Great! I can take my surfboard to the cable and "surf" because I'm on a surfboard so I am "surfing"
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-08-2011, 6:33 PM Reply   
Enough with the semantics, eh?
Old    Mark Griffin (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-11-2011, 1:59 AM Reply   
These cable vs boat arguments seem to pop up at least once a month. More and more frequently in fact.

All I will say is this is actually the most balanced I have seen the arguments. It used to be 99% of riders bashing cable. Seems like were down to 50/50 now which personally I think is great improvement in attitude.

Boat is awesome and cable is awesome, respect both, its really not that hard.

In cable related news, Daniel Grant just won the pro wakeskate division, came 2nd in the pro wakeboard obstacle only division, and 5th in the pro wakeboard division at the first stop of the WWA Wake Park series. This kid is going to be the superstar of the wakeboard (cable) world. He's 13 years old.
Old    Jay Smith (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       07-11-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
http://vimeo.com/11885155.
Old    Brody (WssLife)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-11-2011, 3:06 PM Reply   
I prefer boat riding as well buy sometimes you feel like winching or cable boarding like with skating I will always be a street skater but on occasion I'll go to the park

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:40 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us