Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Chris LEBOEUF (leboeuf45)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-18-2011, 5:43 PM Reply   
This coming week i will be taking delivery of my new RZR, as soon as i get it i will be installing a second set of tower speakers 9 mb8i's, a bigger 2nd amp ( syn 4 ), and replacing the free air 10" with a dvc 12" with a custom built box. The boat will come stock with 2 batteries ( i think they are interstate and im not sure the size or model number ) and the way they are set up from the factory is one runs the stereo and electronics and the other strictly for starting and bilge. Should i add a second battery for the stereo? How long approx is the one battery going to last with the stereo jamming in a cove with the boat off before it dies? And lastly if i do need to add a 3rd battery how should i wire it in and is the factory charging system going to keep it charged as well?

list of stereo equiup that wiull be in the boat total

6 ws inboat speakers
1 ws dvc 12"
2 ws mb8i's
2 ws pro 60's
1 syn 6
1syn 4

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old    Dave Diaz (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-18-2011, 6:02 PM Reply   
i'm far from a pro, but in my previous boat, i ran the following

4 kicker tower
4 infinity in boat
1 12" L7
2 audiobahn amps, 600w & 400w

ran everything on one battery for for years. would just start the boat every now and then, but never had any issues. obviously two batteries is better, but it can be done. I don't think you'd need a third, but with the light shows now, who knows....
Old    Chris LEBOEUF (leboeuf45)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-19-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
Thanks but im thinking that another battery on the stereo side couldnt hurt, and the weight wouldnt hurt either.
Old    Nu Bu (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-19-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   
Hell yes you want as many batteries (or Ah) on that stereo bank that your space and budget allow. You have to make sure your charging routine is up to par though, onboard charger is a must if you don't have some other method to charge them "Properly". Don't be that guy that has to have start his boat every 15 min because he doesn't have enough juice to run his gear.
Old    Chris LEBOEUF (leboeuf45)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-19-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
Ok so help me out, what do you suggest? I am not going to say that money is no object, but i also am not going to skimp out on this on such a new boat. What would you do with what i told you i am going to have? I hate to ask all the questions but i am dumb when it comes to this.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-19-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
How many watts RMS are your amps going to be running? I don't really see how those 2 amps can correctly power 6 interiors, a sub and 2 different types of tower speakers. How are you going to be using the boats stereo? Party cove with the boat off or mostly surfing, wakeboarding and cruising? I think the best thing you can do is fully understand how your starting/charging system works and how to manipulate it to do exactly what you want while maintaining it correctly. There is no one correct way to set it up correctly. I could potentially see you having many different setups to keep you electrical system in good working order while getting good life out of everything electrical related.

Last edited by polarbill; 02-19-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old    Benjamin (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-19-2011, 2:16 PM Reply   
Chris, I PM'd you. I told the guy I got my Trojan batteries from I'd ask around if anyone wanted them. 315ah.

Or if you don't want to mess with 6v batteries get 2 Deka 31's

Nubu and Brett are both wizards when it comes to batteries, so I'd listen to them before me, but I'll give you my suggestion anyway. Get 2 6v batteries and wire in a series to make it 1 12v or get 2 Deka 31's and wire in parallel to double the AH, then get a prosport 20 on board charger, use those batteries to power your stereo and accessories, and not have them connected to the alternator. This would only work if you could plug the charger in to charge the batteries after you're off the water.

Or you could get another interstate battery or whatever kind comes in the boat and wire it parallel to the 2nd battery. This would double your amp hours, but I don't know if that would put a strain on your alternator. Either way, I'd get an onboard charger, especially if your adding more batteries, relying on your alternator no matter which way you set it up is a bad idea IMO
Old    Chris LEBOEUF (leboeuf45)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-19-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
Brett, the system is exactly what Tim from WS told me to buy and install after i told him what i was looking for. I will be doing a little of everything on the boat, a little wakeboarding, surfing, and im sure a few hours a day partying in a cove. I dont want to over complicate things here im just making sure that if i kill the boat for an hour or two will i be ok? will i have to continue to start the boat every 15min? or will simply installing another battery do the trick?

Benji, i may look into the big batteries you suggested if i am going to need them. Thats really what i am trying to figure out, after reading all the posts here about the battery upgrades i am starting to question if i will need to upgrade or not. The prosport charger you talked about, is that a charger that when the boat is stored i plug in to recharge the batteries? I know i am asking alot of simple questions but once again i am dumb when it comes to this ****.
Old    Benjamin (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-19-2011, 4:18 PM Reply   
Chrisy,
Like Brett, I don't really get how those speakers or going to be powered sufficiently by those 2 amps either. There are 12 speakers and 1 sub, and there's 10 channels on the amps. There's a ton of configurations with that setup, but just looking at it, it seems like something will end up being underpowered. Maybe the in boat speakers will be running on 2ohm? I don't know...

As for the batteries, you might just want to get a 3rd battery that matches the 2 from the factory and wire them together in parallel. This makes 2 batteries act as they are 1 battery. I'd try it that way first and see how it does for you. If you're not happy with it then look into other options, but this would be the easiest way. The 6v batteries I was telling you about may be more amp hours than you'll need.

Yeah the prosport 20 installs in your boat. When you're off the water just run an extension cord to it, and that's it. The charger will charge, and maintain your batteries. So all you do is plug it in and leave it there...it will do the rest...
Old    Benjamin (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-19-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
that might have been confusing

1 battery for starting

2 batteries wired together for your stereo/accessories
Old    TigeMike (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-19-2011, 4:28 PM Reply   
6 in-boats getting 60W rms....check!
xs-12 bridged on chnls 5/6 getting 600W rms....check!
pro60's getting 125W on the syn4.......check (yes they will handle more)
mb8's getting 125W on the syn4.....check! (again, they will handle more)

Id rock this all day long. The mb8's and pro60's on a 4-chnl amp is a sweet sounding setup.
Old    Benjamin (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-19-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
6 in-boats getting 60W rms....check!
xs-12 bridged on chnls 5/6 getting 600W rms....check!
pro60's getting 125W on the syn4.......check (yes they will handle more)
mb8's getting 125W on the syn4.....check! (again, they will handle more)

Id rock this all day long. The mb8's and pro60's on a 4-chnl amp is a sweet sounding setup.
How did you get 60w on the 6 in-boats?
Old    TigeMike (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-19-2011, 4:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendow View Post
How did you get 60w on the 6 in-boats?
The syn6 is 60W x 4 @ 4 ohm and 105W x 4 @ 2 ohm (two 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel) so technically 52.5 to 4 of the in-boats.

Last edited by chpthril; 02-19-2011 at 4:44 PM.
Old    Benjamin (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-19-2011, 6:13 PM Reply   
ahhh..I see. I always wondered how they powered 6 speakers on 4 channel amp. So it would be 52.5w x 4 @ 2 ohm and either 105w x 2 @ 2 ohm or 60w x 2 @ 4 ohm
Old    TigeMike (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-19-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendow View Post
ahhh..I see. I always wondered how they powered 6 speakers on 4 channel amp. So it would be 52.5w x 4 @ 2 ohm and either 105w x 2 @ 2 ohm or 60w x 2 @ 4 ohm
The amp will deliver 105W rms when it sees a 2 ohm load. With two 4 ohm speakers, such as the Wet Sounds XS-650, wired in parallel, the amp will put out that 105 watt rating. But, with two identical speakers wired together, they divide the available power. So in the case above, each would get the rated 52.5 watts.

In summery, a single 4 ohm speaker will get 60 watts rms and two identical speakers wired in parallel on a single channel will divide the available 105 watts rms.
Old    Chris LEBOEUF (leboeuf45)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-19-2011, 10:24 PM Reply   
Mike you hit it on the head, the boat is coming with the syn6 wired up with the in boats on channels 1-4 and the free air is on channel 5. Tim said to replace the 10" with the xs-d2 12" and bridge 5-6 to run that. It is also coming with a syn 2 running a pair of pro 60's, im replacing the syn 2 with a syn 4 to run the 2 pair ( pro 60's and mb8is ). I forgot to mention im installing a ws-420 but i dont think that is going to matter on power, I think i will just add 1 more battery and see how that works. Thanks for all the input.
Old    Nu Bu (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-20-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
Chris go with an Interstate SRM-29 to add to your stereo bank, drop it in a group 27 battery box and it will save you some room on the install. This will be the best bang for your buck. I installed 3 of these and 1 group 24 in a Tige last year, not sure if the batteries are still in the back of the transom on the newer Tige's but I made all 4 fit.