Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-17-2011, 3:30 PM Reply   
I just got a 08 f-450 diesel. I really like it, the fit and finish is really nice. My issues that I'm noticing is that it gets horrible milage. I'm coming from a 06 dodge 2500 diesel. I never really calculated the milage out with the dodge but I was spending $100-$150 per week of driving, now I'm spending $200-$250 w/ the Ford. I'm not into all the dodge is better than Ford is better than Chevy, I don"t care about that. I liked the Ford, it is going to do the job that I need and I got a good deal on it. I guess my question is what can I do to get better milage? I do a fair amount of freeway driving, I noticed the rpm's are around 2700 on the ford @ 70mph and were closer to 2k when I was in the dodge. Thanks for the help!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-17-2011, 3:45 PM Reply   
You can do a dpf delete pipe and a spartan tuner on it and that will help out quite a bit. The other thing you can do is put a little bit taller of a tire on it to get the rpm's down. What gears do you have? Sounds like you have small tires or a 4.10 rear gear in it instead of the 3.73's.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-17-2011, 4:00 PM Reply   
I think i got 4.88 gears(sales guy told me), and have the 19.5 wheels with the contenental tires(dont know exact size). I know the gears are killing me, can I change those??
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-17-2011, 4:02 PM Reply   
Todd, I am looking for a towing vehicle and need to know the good price you got for the ford and how what is a good price for the 06 dodge?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-17-2011, 4:04 PM Reply   
Wonder if that truck was lifted before or something? You can definitely change the gears but you will need a reprogram to correct the speedometer. There should be calculators online to help you figure it out if you can't figure it out from the options list on the truck. Usually you find the transmission gear ratio and then the tire size and give it the mph at the rpm and it will tell you the rear gear.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-17-2011, 4:07 PM Reply   
Might check this forum (or one like it) http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-17-2011, 4:10 PM Reply   
Yeah the 08 F450 isn't going to get you very good fuel economy but you need to understand that you bought a vehiclt that tows 24,000lbs and hauls over 4k. You went from a 3/4 ton to a 1.5 ton rig spinning 6 tires. Its just how it is.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-17-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
The dash says I'm getting 6mpg, I kinda wish i would have done some research to really see that is just how it is. Hate- I think you know my cousin Jeremy Hawk?? actually cousin by marriage, I'm related to the Walkers. If I put the programmer in, will it help?? Oh and this thing feels like it has no power, just torque?? I have to punch it to above 3k rpms to feel like i got any juice.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-17-2011, 5:20 PM Reply   
Best bet would be to change the gears out....the 450 is a towing machine, what else would you expect besides crawler gears?? switch it up in the rear end and im sure you will be much happier with it.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-17-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
timmy wins the prize. dpf and regens are killing you, high rpms arent helping but 6.4 is known for poor mileage nomatter what gear it has
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-17-2011, 8:32 PM Reply   
Anyone have some sort of good solution? Or am I SOL?
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-17-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
The F-450 weighs a lot more than your Dodge. It takes more dinosaur juice to keep that thing rolling. Like others said, that truck is built to tow heavy loads...fuel economy wasn't at the top of the concerns list when engineers designed it.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-17-2011, 9:15 PM Reply   
Todd, get over onto powerstroke.org and see what those guys have to say. most of these guys have the same idea and the gearing is probably your best bet, but go see what the guys on the powerstroke forum have to say as well. couldnt hurt.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       01-17-2011, 10:26 PM Reply   
You're not stuck....but it's not good news either. 7.3...Good.....6.0...OK....6.4....terrible...6.7.. ..Awesome!! (That's stock...not knocking you mod guys)
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-18-2011, 7:14 AM Reply   
Where would I get the gearing done? Dealership?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-18-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
Any off road shop would be able to do it. I would recommend talking to the guys on that site i told you about, there will be guys in your area with experience with shops that can recommend a quality shop.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-18-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
A client of mine has the same truck he went from 11.5 mpg to 20.2 mpg by adding an edge programer, new airbox and taking all the emissions crap off and putting in a strait pipe back to the muffler.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-18-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
TODD, 6mpg is low even for the 450, I'd say 10-12 is average. If you want to change out the gears get a hold of Randys in Smokey Point they do a great job. If you are still under warranty (under 100k) then I wouldn't do any engine mods. If you do anyting and they trace a problem back to that it will void your warranty.

Yeah I know Hawk from way back.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-18-2011, 1:27 PM Reply   
Or keep your gears, go to a taller rim/tire combo and do a Gear Vendors Overdrive/Splitter. Have one on my diesel with 4:10 gears and it is awesome. Best of both worlds.
Old     (Donski)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-18-2011, 3:30 PM Reply   
14 mpg is about expected out of the 6.4. As far as mods go, I would keep it bone stock. All the after-market upgrades are cool for about a year then you will get sick of them. And 3-4 years down the road, your repair costs will be much higher than that of a stock truck. You will save a few pennies with mileage mods right now but later on you will end up paying more in the costs of repairs. Take it from me, I have a 7.3 that breaks down once a month. I wish I could set it on fire and ghost ride it down Mount Everest.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-18-2011, 4:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donski View Post
14 mpg is about expected out of the 6.4. As far as mods go, I would keep it bone stock. All the after-market upgrades are cool for about a year then you will get sick of them. And 3-4 years down the road, your repair costs will be much higher than that of a stock truck. You will save a few pennies with mileage mods right now but later on you will end up paying more in the costs of repairs. Take it from me, I have a 7.3 that breaks down once a month. I wish I could set it on fire and ghost ride it down Mount Everest.
I think you are in the minority of owners with those issues...and honestly the only person ive ever seen say anything bad about the 7.3l....other than the fact that it isnt as fast as the other motors.
Im on the powerstroke forum more than I am on here, never heard anyone else with your point of view with the 7.3...
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       01-19-2011, 5:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
I think you are in the minority of owners with those issues...and honestly the only person ive ever seen say anything bad about the 7.3l....other than the fact that it isnt as fast as the other motors.
Im on the powerstroke forum more than I am on here, never heard anyone else with your point of view with the 7.3...
Me either ... I have had two 7.3's for nearly 10 years - one (Excursion) has NEVER HAD A PROBLEM other than the CPS going out, the other (the pickup which gets much harder usage)
has had a few more problems, but nothing like "monthly" ... Jury is still out on the new engine, but of the older ones, EVERYONE I know loves the 7.3 the best.

Not saying that your experience isn't a true one ... just trying to say that I don't think it's the "normal" one.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-19-2011, 5:56 AM Reply   
I'm a cummins man myself, but I agree that the 7.3s were one of the best motors in the powerstroke line up. Not the most powerful, but definitely reliable. Now, I know several people with the 6.0 'stroke, and as far as I am concerned, I would never own one. A problem-stricken motor for sure, especially if you start doing mods. Stretched head studs and blown head gaskets seems to be the norm for the 6.0
Old     (ridesdirt)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-21-2011, 6:56 PM Reply   
OP, several have said it. Loose the PDF so the motor can breath, then get a tuner, an SCT tuner. SCT is the one to get for a Ford. My '08 gets an easy 22 on the highway if I keep the speed down. That is a calculated 22, not what the "lie-o-meter" on the dash displays.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-24-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
Gotta chime in a little on the mpg debate. I sure hope my truck is just in it's break in phase right now. I have 1600 miles on it and I'm averaging 15 ish mpg calculated from gallon put in versus miles driven. That is an overall average of in town and freeway driving. I'd say it's about a 50/50 split around here.

On the freeway I can watch the lie-o-meter and eek out 17 mpg if I don't see any hills.

This is a 2011 F350 with the 6.7.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-24-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
be nice to it when its breaking in, idk about the 6.7, but i dont think these diesels break in untill like 50,000+ miles. not 100% on that but ive heard that number thrown around a few times.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-22-2011, 7:22 PM Reply   
So after doing some thinking, and talking to the dealer and realizing that I can't do any Mods to the truck without dingin my warrenty, I have decide to trade back in my truck. My new question is what do I get that is a 1 ton diesel that will get good(better than 10)MPG? no dually. Thanks guys
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-22-2011, 11:31 PM Reply   
Todd, I'm gonna say you've got to find another cummins 5.9L, but this time make it a 3500. Basically anything newer then 07.5 is gonna have tons of emissions crap on them and that's gonna rob you mpg. One thing I've heard is the new ford 6.7 should have better mpg compared to the ole 6.0s and 6.4s ford previously came out with.

Shawn, for a new 1 ton pickup I think 15 mpg is pretty good. Break that Scorpion in and I bet you'll see better. I've been tempted to test drive one of those, but I still like my 06 cummins so I'm gonna wait a while before I get bitten by the bug again.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-23-2011, 6:01 AM Reply   
Unless you are dead set on buying a brand new truck, look for a good used '06-07' 5.9 Cummins. Maybe something some old man owned and didn't use it much...
My stock 06 averages 17-18 mpg and my modded 07 averages the low 20s, lifted 6" and 37s
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-23-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
Ouch thats sucks, that there are no diesels out the newer than 06 that get decent gas mileage. Anyone have a clue what the 6.4 single axle 1 ton ford is getting, stock? I cant buy new just out of budget. This sucks
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
Unless you are dead set on buying a brand new truck, look for a good used '06-07' 5.9 Cummins. Maybe something some old man owned and didn't use it much...
My stock 06 averages 17-18 mpg and my modded 07 averages the low 20s, lifted 6" and 37s
That sounds to good to be true. Please pm me your mods, my 06 doesn't get close to that.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-23-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
I cannot help you on a 1-ton but I have an 08 GMC 2500HD 4x4 that is currently stock from bumper to bumper. I am getting 14- 15 (hand calculated) mixed highway/ in town driving and 17-18 on the highway trips running 70ish mph. The truck has 55k on the odometer. From what I have seen online and through a couple local guys once the DPF has been removed and running a small tune on these trucks you can see an increase from 1-3mpg depending on the driver and conditions.

By the way my dash is typically 1-1.5 mpg different/higher from my hand calcs.

Last edited by cbrown; 02-23-2011 at 2:28 PM.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-23-2011, 4:01 PM Reply   
Low 20's on a CR lifted 5.9 with big tires does sound a bit inflated. I don't see that at all except going downhill or cruise at 55mph on a flat road.
To the OP, if you got a good deal on the F450, sell it. That's a big @ss truck to jsut drive around. 4:88 gears will not be cheap to swap out and not sure how high of a ratio you can go in that big rear diff. Definetly not meant to be a daily driver. Yes a dpf delete and higher gear ratio will get you better mileage, but it will cost $ and still won't do as good as a 3/4 or 1 ton single wheel.
The 6.7 Cummins 08 and up seem to get decent mileage, several people I know own them and noone complains about bad mileage. 6.4 Pstrokes though, noone I know with them brags about mileage. They all seem to get 10mpg in the mountains.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-23-2011, 7:18 PM Reply   
I am leaning towards a Dodge, have a question regarding the 6.7. are they any good? heard they had some problems? anyone know about that? or is it the same emissions crap they all started to have to do? Thanks
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-23-2011, 7:25 PM Reply   
I have a 2006 F-250 with about 120,000 miles. It has been bulletproof so far. 2700 RPM at 70 MPH seems a bit excessive. I'm pretty sure I run less than 2000 RPM at 70 MPH. I love the diesel, but I'm not sure I'd get a new one with everything I've been hearing about them.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-24-2011, 7:08 AM Reply   
If anyone has any input on the cummins 6.7, I would appreciate it, Thanks
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-24-2011, 7:38 AM Reply   
I just traded in my 2005 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge with the 5.9 cummins in it. I was running 35's with an edge programmer on mileage, a cia, and a full magnaflow exhaust. I ran 85% highway at 70mph. I got 17-18 mpg MAX. That was great for the truck, but I drove really easy all the time. The problem was, it rode like crap, drove like crap, the interior was sparce, it was loud due to wind noise, and stuff started breaking left and right. It had 92k on it when I traded. I loved the exterior, I loved the motor, I hated inside of the truck and I hated the front suspension.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-24-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
As far as the 6.7s go, the first couple of years ('07.5-'08) were the finicky ones. Some people had problems and some didn't. Mostly from what I understand it had to do with the combination of emissions junk and the new displacement motor. Seems like Cummins has got the bugs worked out now...there are a lot of happy 6.7 owners. Check out cumminsforum.com for a TON of cummins info.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-24-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
Waiting for you to send me your high mpg secret. I've been over to the cummins forum as well. I've seen the guys that claim such high mpg get laughed at. I'm being series though, I would love to know. Can't ever get a clear answer over there.

Last edited by 05mobiuslsv; 02-24-2011 at 9:49 AM.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-24-2011, 11:00 AM Reply   
Todd, let me know if I can help out in anyway. I don't have any Dodges right now (find a 5.9 but I can get you a buy bid on your 450 as we'd love to have it.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-24-2011, 11:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
Waiting for you to send me your high mpg secret. I've been over to the cummins forum as well. I've seen the guys that claim such high mpg get laughed at. I'm being series though, I would love to know. Can't ever get a clear answer over there.
I sent you a PM, but here is what I've got for everyone to see...
3.73 gears (with the 37" tires it keeps my RPMs pretty low)
6-speed manual
AFE stage 2 intake, straight pipe exhaust, airforce 1 boost elbow, Smarty TNT programming, MP8 pressure box, Edge Juice w/att (just using it for the gauges at the moment) and SB 3600 DD clutch. I run Lucas additive with every other tank to keep the injectors clean and efficient. Perhaps I wasn't clear. Low 20s mileage wise was the best I have gotten when I was actually trying for MPG. I don't constantly get that because I drive with a heavy foot and live in the mountains and usually have something in tow. I really could care less if you guys believe me.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-24-2011, 4:57 PM Reply   
Hate- PM'd Ya