Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Ian Morre (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-18-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
Checkout this video of all the new gadgets on the 2011 Malibu's.

Old    Taylor Jensen (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-18-2010, 11:29 PM Reply   
Sooo clean. The mali-view dash system looks awesome.
Old    Mark Manzo (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-19-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
Perfection at its finest
Old    Dave (Dmcastino)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-19-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
Fancy and impressive for sure, but to me I can't help but see lots of expensive toys to get broken. Plus what if your touch screen does go out, is everything unusable until you get it figured out. It looks like if you get a bad ground to the screen, or any other of the many issues that can arise with electronics that get bounced around all day long in a wet environment, that you won't be able to use ANYTHING
Old    Ian Morre (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-27-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
I've been doing a lot of research on that exact matter and so far haven't heard of many problems.
Old    wake_addict (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-27-2010, 6:27 PM Reply   
those "'" gadgets ''' like some wanted to called them have been tested and tested and tested and if they are on the market its for a reason.....

Any problem with the malivye so far ?
Any problem with the LCD in the Correct Craft ?
Same for tige ?
Same for Master Craft ?


The answer is NO, those products are tested, made and design for wet environment and for boats.
Old    John M Hall (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-27-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
What if? Man, there's a lot of what if''s in this world. If you let the what if's stop you, you may find yourself in a nice reliable wooden rowboat. Of course you won't be going anywhere because what if the oars break? While we are considering the what if's, why not put some thought into what if it always works just like it is supposed to? Because that has been my experience. I have put 340 hours on two Bu's with Maliview and they have performed flawlessly. The beauty of the Malibu electronics is the simplicity and reliability. I can't imagine owning a boat without it, regardless of brand. The stuff is that good. Before anyone calls "owner's goggles" let me say that Malibu has not always hit the mark. The JBL black box, and to a lesser degree, the MUX switches, definitely sucked. The 2008 electronic throttle recall sucked...........and if you wanna wonder "what if" the bolts on your manual wedge snapped, that would be constructive use of your time. My 2008 23 LSV definitely had it's share of design flaws. Every one of those issues was addressed with the 2010 LSV. Now that the MUX switches have been replaced by the touch screen for 2011, I can't imagine what Malibu could possibly do to make the 23 LSV any better. I can't wait to get my hands on one, and when I do, the last thing on my mind will be what if this thing stopped working.
Old    Andrew (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-28-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
I was just behind a 2011 23 lsv this weekend and the touch screen is pretty slick. It looks really cool and is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of things. I don't really foresee any problems with the touch screen, some people may eventually have problems just like on a cell phone, but i'm sure Malibu has made sure this product will be long lasting becasue they make such a quality product and want to keep selling boats. Just like any manufacture some people might have problems just like people do on cell phone, it happens. Overall though, it really grew on me and I really don't like all the high tech stuff.
Old    Nu Bu (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-28-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyski1 View Post
What if? Man, there's a lot of what if''s in this world. If you let the what if's stop you, you may find yourself in a nice reliable wooden rowboat. Of course you won't be going anywhere because what if the oars break? While we are considering the what if's, why not put some thought into what if it always works just like it is supposed to? Because that has been my experience. I have put 340 hours on two Bu's with Maliview and they have performed flawlessly. The beauty of the Malibu electronics is the simplicity and reliability. I can't imagine owning a boat without it, regardless of brand. The stuff is that good. Before anyone calls "owner's goggles" let me say that Malibu has not always hit the mark. The JBL black box, and to a lesser degree, the MUX switches, definitely sucked. The 2008 electronic throttle recall sucked...........and if you wanna wonder "what if" the bolts on your manual wedge snapped, that would be constructive use of your time. My 2008 23 LSV definitely had it's share of design flaws. Every one of those issues was addressed with the 2010 LSV. Now that the MUX switches have been replaced by the touch screen for 2011, I can't imagine what Malibu could possibly do to make the 23 LSV any better. I can't wait to get my hands on one, and when I do, the last thing on my mind will be what if this thing stopped working.

Actually they addressed them all except the black box in 2009. The RF setup is no better than the lastest version of the BB version 3.4, I've used both.
Old    John M Hall (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-28-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
The 2009 still had the Illusion XS tower, so I would not agree that all of the problems with the 2008 boats were addressed in 2009. The G3 tower that came on the 2010 boats should end Malibu's tower issues once and for all.
I have never used the JBL BB version 3.4. I am glad to know there is hope for those who have the JBL. The RF unit that came with my 2010 would not have been my first choice, but I was able to build an impressive system using the RF BB as a starting point. I'll call the RF unit "good enough" and a step in the right direction.
Old    Nu Bu (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-28-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyski1 View Post
The 2009 still had the Illusion XS tower, so I would not agree that all of the problems with the 2008 boats were addressed in 2009. The G3 tower that came on the 2010 boats should end Malibu's tower issues once and for all.
I have never used the JBL BB version 3.4. I am glad to know there is hope for those who have the JBL. The RF unit that came with my 2010 would not have been my first choice, but I was able to build an impressive system using the RF BB as a starting point. I'll call the RF unit "good enough" and a step in the right direction.
Touche, you got me on the tower . The BB or RF units aren't ideal but if you want an integrated system it's really the only way to go. A line driver hugely improves either of these.
Old    Dave (Dmcastino)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-28-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf4242 View Post
I was just behind a 2011 23 lsv this weekend and the touch screen is pretty slick. It looks really cool and is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of things. I don't really foresee any problems with the touch screen, some people may eventually have problems just like on a cell phone, but i'm sure Malibu has made sure this product will be long lasting becasue they make such a quality product and want to keep selling boats. Just like any manufacture some people might have problems just like people do on cell phone, it happens. Overall though, it really grew on me and I really don't like all the high tech stuff.
I understand what you're saying, and I'm not an anti-technology worry wart as skyski may seem to suggest haha, I just trust a key and ignition to function more reliably than a touch screen. I don't doubt Malibu has put a lot of effort into this and I agree they make a quality product, hell I put 150+ hours on various Malibus from late 90's responses to more recent Wakesetters, I love Malibu. But the fact of the matter is, things do still break, and like you said, some people may have issues with them going out just like on a cell phone, iPod, or computer etc. and I don't like how it seems that every single system, including starting the boat, fully depends on those touch screens to function. We've had several boats on our lake get hit by other boats at night because they didn't have their lights on, so say in 2020, this boat has been around for about 9-10 years, with a 9-10 year old touch screen. That means I essentially have to trust that 10 year old screen to function properly or I could be potentially stranded in the middle of a lake at midnight with no way to turn the boat on, nor a way to turn the lights on.

On that same note, what is gonna happen in 10-15 years when these are on the used market? Sure if something goes out on a brand new boat like this, it'll either be under warranty or the owner can likely afford to fix whatever it may cost since clearly he/she was able to pay the steep purchase price. But say you aren't quite as well off and are looking at a used boat, today you could look into buying say an old SN2001 which you could likely do all the maintenance on yourself if you are halfway handy. But what happens when that whole touch screen thing finally does die, (I mean lets be realistic, its not gonna last forever...) and it costs several grand in parts alone to replace this screen. You could conceivably buy a boat for say 15 grand, have a great first week with your great new-to-you Wakesetter, then boom, your maliview goes out and suddenly you are looking at paying 1/3 of your purchase price just to get the boat running cuz a stupid touch screen died

To each their own. The cool factor, aesthetics, and convenience is obviously here, but you're putting a whole lot of faith in a computer/touch screen to survive in pretty harsh elements year after year.
Old    Dave (Dmcastino)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-28-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by radikal View Post
those "'" gadgets ''' like some wanted to called them have been tested and tested and tested and if they are on the market its for a reason.....

Any problem with the malivye so far ?
Any problem with the LCD in the Correct Craft ?
Same for tige ?
Same for Master Craft ?


The answer is NO, those products are tested, made and design for wet environment and for boats.
Boats in general are tested, made and designed for wet environments, yet somehow.... THEY STILL BREAK!

Isn't common knowledge that buying the boat is only the first of many expenses? Why make maintenance more expensive and complicated by making every function of the boat rest on the one backbone of a touch screen. It just seems counter productive to me. The perfect pass on my friends 04 Response was messed up last year, it needed a software update and some other things I don't remember the specifics of. But what was nice was that while the perfect pass was out, we could still use the boat. The ignition in my parent's boat got messed up and was spinning in place, I fixed it in 5 minutes with a phillips head. If you pull your boat out of winter storage and your screen doesnt turn on in this boat, it sure looks to me like you are completely screwed until you can get the boat to the dealer, they can figure out the problem and order parts, and then get around to actually doing the work. Everyone may feel differently than me which is fine, but I would rather have a boat without all the modern creature comforts and gadgets if it meant I would be able to actually be on the water all summer as opposed to cramming it with so many gadgets that don't do anything for the wake and that all depend on each other to work that I lose a month of my summer while I wait for a dealer to figure out why my touch screen won't let my boat start. My 2cents

Last edited by Dmcastino; 10-28-2010 at 1:23 PM.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:33 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us