Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-08-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
This is my first two attempts, yesterday I made it all the way arround and slid out so I think I have the basic concept just not sure how to stick it. Any thoughts?
I am running behind my 03 X2 with stock ballast do you think I need more weight to get a higher lift? Got PP set for 22.5 and cutting like a mother just to get this high???
Thanks for the help.
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=8344
Old                08-08-2003, 5:31 PM Reply   
You are doing what I have a tendency to do... you are edging good in the beginning and then flattening out as you reach the wake.

Make sure you keep on edge all the way through, stand tall with your hips up, and keep the handle in close to your lead hip.

FYI, I have still not landed my backroll, but these are the things I have learned in the process...
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-08-2003, 5:33 PM Reply   
larry, you actually don't need to cut like a mother to get high. but you do need to edge all the way thru the wake - that's what will give you the pop you need.

the first attempt you come off your edge long before you reach the wake. the second attempt you stay on edge longer, but pause the video as you come off the wake - you're not standing tall and getting your pop, you're anticipating the roll and bending your legs to start whipping around.

i used to/still have this problem. i leave too early and don't stand tall enough at the wake. you really want to edge all the way thru the top of the wake and stand tall. this will give you nice pop off the wake and you'll get around.

i actually was working on my backroll today because lately it's been inconsistent. it was behind an 02 x-star with just stock ballast and i landed 'em fine.

you don't need a big wake to make a backroll - but you do need good form and technique. it's more about just taking a normal cut, edging all the way up thru the top of the wake and keeping your body straight so you get the most lift off the wake.

after that just look back over your lead shoulder and get ready to land. you're doing everything else right. think about keeping your shoulders square with the boat. you actually basically stay facing the boat and rotate around the handle. keep both hands on the handle like you're doing. you'll get it soon!

good luck!
Old                08-13-2003, 3:21 PM Reply   
As a person that has tried at least 50 of them (unsuccessfully) I feel your pain. I started like you (spinning low and fast) and am now able to get much higher and all of the way around with a big slow rotation and land upright on the board (followed immediately by a crash) by standing taller (lock your legs out to get the feeling - really feel your quads tighten) and you will get higher. Concentrating on edging up the wake will get you higher too. You can tell when you are edging correctly b/c you feel a strong pull on the line all of the way through the wake (loading the line).
I have a question for you though - how did you get the video on here? I would love to be able to do the same thing you are doing.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-14-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
Jim I used wakepics at http://www.wakepics.com/media.php?trick=Any&type=Video&limit=10&searchstr= &time=1031796617&search=search
All you need to do is register with them then upload your video. After that just attach the link to this post..
Thanks for the advise I am going to try what you guys are telling me and see if I can edge all the way through as well as stand tall at the wake.
Thanks again.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-14-2003, 10:24 PM Reply   
Larry - You're not keeping your edge through the "top" of the wake - your board should go up and away from the boat.

Matt rips and knows his sh*t.... Follow his 6 easy steps and you've got it. (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3184/78197.html?1060812330)

1- Shorten your rope.
2- Make sure you keep your eyes open. You'd be surprised how many people don't.
3- Progressive edge - start easy and progressively cut harder, so that your hardest cut is through the top of the wake. You are starting hard and leaving flat.
4- Keep your handle in tight to your hips.
5- Look at the boat on the landing.
6- Is that a non-stretch rope? If not, get one.