Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-29-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
What makes the high end custom boards( IS,ShedStixx ect...) any better than the say... CWB's, Hyperlite, Ronix ect.. We want to get our own board now and we are trying to justify the extra 2-400+ for the high end brands and it's tough. We have riden some HLite and Ronix boards but I want to get the best bang for my buck. We are intermediate currently but above avg wakeboarders and will most likely progress quickly. It seems the "entry level" boards simply copy the designs of the "high end" stuff anyway?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-29-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
Brian, have you seen any of the high end boards in person? if you have then you would see that the wakeboard companies don't even attempt at copying the wakesurf manufacturer's designs. the wakeboard brands usually have compression molded boards that are basically big wakeboards in a generic surf board shape with wakeboard fins. some make center stringer glassed boards (still with wakeboard fins, ugh) but as you read more into this website you will see that they often still dont compare to the wakesurf brand boards.

The wakesurf brands spend so much time R&Ding their boards. For a lot of the brands wakesurfing is all they do and it shows in their product. Also the construction and shape is way beyond what you get from a wakeboard brand. they also use surf fins by Futures Fins or FCS. The fins are so crucial in wakesurfing. They aren't just for make the board stable like a lot of people think, but the fins make the board what it is. by changing fins you can change a lot.

You might pay 2 or 3 times the price compared to a wakeboard brand board but you will get 10x + the ride and performance. Wakesurfing is such a fun sport and because it is so low impact and has no fear factor you will see your self progressing very quickly if you have an interest in the sport.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-29-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
Not sure that the boards mentioned are " custom" as they generally come in one size per model. Custom to me would be boards that can be custom made in a range of sizes to meet your exact needs. The best bet would be to try and demo some of the high end boards and feel the difference.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-30-2010, 5:37 AM Reply   
I've ridden hyperlite and ronix. I am receiving my first high end board today it's a SS Comp 1 Hazen. I'll be riding it tomorrow and I'll let you know if it was worth the price. I got mine from surfresh on here. He has other high end boards for sale too.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-30-2010, 5:53 AM Reply   
Mitch, appreciate the input. I have seen some of the wakesurf brand specific boards at a show and all the vid's ect.. but have not riden a IS, S Stiix, Flyboy ect... as we just don't have any shops in our area with the stuff. I have spoken to a few who seem knowledgable folks and they confirm your opinion but I have a tight budget right now and wanted some input to justify the added expense. Dennis, as mentioned, in my area I just can't find demos. I just can't decide on what brand and features to go with at this point.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-30-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
I think the truly custom boards by Flyboy, Shred Stixx, etc would be a major jump from the boards you are riding now. I would probably look at the Inland Surfer, Phase 5, Shred Stixx (non custom), etc. I have been riding a IS Sweet Spot and just picked up a JWSM and they are completely different in the way they ride. The JWSM makes my Sweet Spot fill like brick, but I have not been able to figure out how to ride it yet (not the boards fault, just my skill limitations).

There are a few IS Sweet Spots for sale on centurion crew right now. And I saw a few Shred Stixx boards on this site.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
Custom boards are a night and day difference! I went froma Hyperlite Braodcast a few years back to a The Walker Project Comp X, it immediatly elivated my game. I'm anxiously awaiting my Bazooka from TWP now. I can't wait to see the difference.

JKW, my buddy got a TWP JWSM a couple years ago. It took a few times out to learn that you have to ride that board for sure but once you do its ON!
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-02-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I've got two hyperlite boards and two custom boards. The hyperlites stay in the garage and the custom boards come out on the boat with me. You won't regret the extra expense.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-02-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
I went from a Broadcast 4'8? to a Phase 5 Drew Daniello. Kinda similar shape. Aside from the 2-3 lb weight loss of the DD, it is 2x faster and 5x more responsive. Absolutely worth the 100-200 up charge.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-03-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
Surfed on a 09' Ronix Koal 4'6" for 3 days Fri-Sun and it was Okay, but I ordered a IS Blue Lake yesterday to try out in hopes it will give us the experience we desire. My son and his friend loved the Koal but it was alot of work to stay in sweet spot on our wake. It was not very forgiving for new riders but everyone had a fun challenge, lots of laughs. We have a DD 205Prostar with alot of weight in it but the sweet spot is not very long so hopefully a bigger board will help us out. From all the input I have gotten over the phone and guys on the water it seems the Blue Lake should work well so we shall see. Appeciate all the feedback. Would appreciate any feedback on the fins you guys like for the IS B Lake and how they affect that board please.