Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-13-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
I bought a Rankin cover over a year ago. I think he is now out of business. The cover leaves my rear exposed and I always wondered why. I wanted a good cover to protect from sunlight more than anything else, so why is the back end uncovered? I called Rankin to ask him why but never got a call back. Anyway a local guy said he would modify it to cover the rear for $200. Too much I say. I've been shoving a blanket under the cover to hang off the back in the meantime.
Attached Images

Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-13-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
Does anyone out there have any idea why these covers were made this way? Also anyone out there have a 3' X 6' section of black sunbrella they want to sell?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-13-2010, 5:00 PM Reply   
UMMM... So you can still see the Master Craft on the back. Best I could come up with. That does blow though.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
That is a strange design, every cover I've had not only covers the transom, it covers the swimstep as well.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-13-2010, 5:40 PM Reply   
THat makes no sense, but dude, just spend the 200.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-13-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
Does yours have tie-down straps? None are shown in your pic.

I love my cover because all you do is crank the tie-down straps and it sheds all the rain. No poles or other supports are needed and you don't need to tie it to the trailer. I don't know why the back is short, perhaps it is because these covers are designed for towing and the short back lets the air out??? Who knows.
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
That area is called the "stern" and/or "transom" not the rear, for future reference.
Old    SamIngram            05-13-2010, 6:45 PM Reply   
Isn't that a "tow" cover? It let's any air that gets under or through the cover out the back, versus ripping it at the seams when towing.
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-13-2010, 6:45 PM Reply   
I can see some straps on the other side of the transom, and some slack in your cover, could you maybe tie them to the same place as you are hooking up to the trailer, similar to what lakeski is doing? That would probably pull the cover lower no? And you will still be able to see that WakeWorld sticker

Last edited by hockeysk8er222; 05-13-2010 at 6:47 PM. Reason: More words...
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-13-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
I actually have some black Sunbrella, maybe enough to do the job. LMK if you're serious and I'll measure it.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-13-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
BTW, $200 is about right if he does a good job. It will take at least a couple hours to do right, and Sunbrella ain't cheap.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-13-2010, 8:44 PM Reply   
Thanks Trace. I'll let you know the dimensions saturday. I think I'll also try to put some buckles on there like lakeski.

Hate... Thanks for the education. Call the rear/transom/stern the toolbag if it makes you happy. Just don't tell me what I can't call it. I thought the original wording was slightly humorous, and I'm pretty sure most everyone else here was able to grasp what part of my boat/vessel/craft I was referring to.
Old     (scott)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-13-2010, 9:01 PM Reply   
you can check your local boating shop that makes bimini tops, they will have rolls of Sun Brella!
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-13-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
I would add those straps to the cover now so you can tow and then make a little velcro on piece to cover it up for the sun. it might not tow as well if you sew on something to the back.
Old     (rebelman10)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-14-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
Hey lakeski, How's the wake on that TOYOTO BOAT?
Old     (rebelman10)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-14-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
Sorry, TOYOTA BOAT? old IBM key board.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-14-2010, 6:51 AM Reply   
I think Jacob has the right idea. It sucks that you have to spend more money. But it would be sweet to have a towable cover with a piece you could velcro on when you get there.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
Brett, I was joking too. I suppose I should have put in an emoticon to invoke some level of inflection.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-14-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
Like others have said, it looks like your missing the tie down straps. The design is used for towing, and necessary to get the cover tight (using the rear grab handle).
Rankin used to make a piece for the rest if you needed it, but there is an issue when towing with it. And mooring with a swimstep cover is a PITA too. Evolution (and I'm sure just about any shop) can modify it for you.
You can get ends of Sunbrella on Ebay for dirt cheap.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-14-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
Sounds like you should not modify it if you want to use it while trailering...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-14-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
do you know anybody with a sewing machine?

My sister has sewn/resewn a couple of my boat covers and my bimini top. I bought a couple yards of sunbrella from a online or ebay merchant (don't remember which). I have plenty of matching sunbrella for my boat cover.

I have the same cover, just put a big scratch in my boat with it keep an eye on the hooks as they can have sharp edges and wear through the padding. I would make an insert panel that velcros to the back, I mean stern, of the cover. Use the hook side on the insert and the loop side on the cover.