Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
I have read the forums for a few months but have never posted. Try not to tear the newbie apart.

I am a wakeboarding novice but am ready to buy a boat. I have searched around and have decided to go with a used/custom boat over a new/stock option. I honestly don't know much about boats but this seemed like a decent deal.

What do you think about a 1993 VIP Wakeboard Boat (pics attached):
  • 4.3L Mercruiser inboard outboard
  • that was in storage from 1996-2006
  • Custom paint job
  • New leather seats
  • Never any serious work done - just standard maintenance
  • 4 LOUD Eclipse Marine Tower Speakers
  • 12" kicker solobaric sub
  • 2- 1200 watt amps
  • Big Air Wakeboard Tower


$10k


Am I way off base or is this a decent option?
Attached Images
   
Old    Alan Slabaugh (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-10-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
That is an Inboard/Outboard, not an inboard.
Old    Nick Tomsyck (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
It looks like an I/O to me too, which means NOT GOOD for wakeboarding - the wake just isn't like a true inboard
you will not be able to surf behind it - least not with keeping all of you limbs.... it looks nice but anyone can dress up a turd

10k would go to a nice:
Malibu Sunsetter
Sport Nautique
MC 205
Tige 2200

add another 5k to your budget and get a real v-drive
Look for
Nautique Supersport
MC 205v
Sanger v210
Sunsetter VLX
tige 21v/2200v
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
That is an Inboard/Outboard, not an inboard.
Yeah - my bad. Given that it's an I/O - and the information listed above - would it be a decent option for a beginner?
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
It looks like an I/O to me too, which means NOT GOOD for wakeboarding - the wake just isn't like a true inboard
you will not be able to surf behind it - least not with keeping all of you limbs.... it looks nice but anyone can dress up a turd

10k would go to a nice:
Malibu Sunsetter
Sport Nautique
MC 205
Tige 2200

add another 5k to your budget and get a real v-drive
Look for
Nautique Supersport
MC 205v
Sanger v210
Sunsetter VLX
tige 21v/2200v
Thanks man - that helps a lot. I am going to continue searching and see if I can find one of the models that you mentioned.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Matt, is 10k your maximum budget? What is your main objective with the boat? Do you want something that is better for hanging out and can fit more people or a pure wake boat? Do you want a boat that looks cool because of tower speakers and a wrap or one that functions better?
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Matt, is 10k your maximum budget? What is your main objective with the boat? Do you want something that is better for hanging out and can fit more people or a pure wake boat? Do you want a boat that looks cool because of tower speakers and a wrap or one that functions better?
I would suggest that my priorities are:

65% wakeboarding
25% hanging out
10% looks cool

I could probably up it to $12K if needed - functionality is obviously really important but I also don't want to drop $12k on something that I'm embarrassed to take out!

Last edited by utb; 03-10-2010 at 9:48 AM.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
I should of asked this in my last post but how many riders are in your crew or how many people normally come out with you? Is it going to be used as a family boat at all? Does your lake/river get really rough from wind and large boats so that you would need something with more freeboard? Do you have any limitations as far as length of the boat or towing capacity on your tow rig?

Nicks suggestions are all good boats to keep an eye out for.
Old    Nick Heckerson (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-10-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
I'm just assuming that's about a 19' Valiant from '93. NADA is only showing that boat worth about $2800 even with a tower. Might now be a bad beginner boat, but though I don't do a lot of low end I/O shopping, you could probably get a new Bayliner for not much more.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I should of asked this in my last post but how many riders are in your crew or how many people normally come out with you? Is it going to be used as a family boat at all? Does your lake/river get really rough from wind and large boats so that you would need something with more freeboard? Do you have any limitations as far as length of the boat or towing capacity on your tow rig?

Nicks suggestions are all good boats to keep an eye out for.
Probably will have a consistent group of 4-5 in the crew. It will rarely be used as a family boat but there will probably be times when girls just want to go hang out on the lake. The lake doesn't typically get too rough...will be keeping it on the water so towing limitations should be minimal.

Thanks again!
Old    Paul (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-10-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
Way overpriced, and underpowered.Keep looking.
Old    Diggs (pdxWAKE) (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
I think most of us probably started with an i/o and ended up moving to a true inboard. I am sure we did it cause we either did not know better or that is what our budget allowed. It is not a bad way to start for sure, but if your objectives are really that high, you might save up a bit more and get the right boat first. Not a bad move though. You also could get a lot more I/O for that kind of money unless you just want it to look pimp. I bought my first I/O (98 Four Winns with 30 hours and a V8) for that kind of money and that was some time ago. That guy has just put a lot of money into paint/wrap and an interior. You have to decide if that is really that important to you, and it does not sound like it. Besides it just kind of looks like they are trying to disguise the boat as a wake boat.

Either way not a bad choice to go I/O, but don't get pressured into making a decision. Find some local people on the board that are knowledgeable about both types of boats and try to go out and see the differences yourself.
Good luck to you....
Old    Nick Tomsyck (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
Also forgot Nautique 2001 --- great wake on these boats:
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1612874227.html
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/1634564452.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1603126979.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/1632827727.html (not the best wake, but can work)

here are a few on the price range
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Either way not a bad choice to go I/O, but don't get pressured into making a decision. Find some local people on the board that are knowledgeable about both types of boats and try to go out and see the differences yourself.
Good luck to you....
Thanks Tyler.

If you had $10k-$12k to spend on your first wakeboarding boat, would you go straight inboard or would I/O suffice for a few years? Or do you think it would be better to just go for the best inboard I can get, even if that means sacrificing "dock appeal?"
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Much thanks Nick. I will definitely check these out.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/1632840611.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/1618200438.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1623746936.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1619149793.html

Just some options. Some are a few thousand more than you said but may be able to be talked down. The hydrodyne will make a good wake as Nick can attest to but will be smaller. It will fit 6 people but will not be super comfortable. On the other hand it will drive great and burn little fuel.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/1632840611.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/1618200438.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1623746936.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1619149793.html

Just some options. Some are a few thousand more than you said but may be able to be talked down. The hydrodyne will make a good wake as Nick can attest to but will be smaller. It will fit 6 people but will not be super comfortable. On the other hand it will drive great and burn little fuel.
You guys are awesome - thanks!
Old    Nick Tomsyck (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
Hydrodynes are the ****!
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
Just 2 more cents.......

2001s, 205s, and Hydrodynes have proven records as good wake sport boats.

I'd stay away from a TriStar though. With the integrated swimstep on the back being a part of it's 19' length, the interior is a lot smaller, specifically in the back, than a Prostar (that has a bolt on swimstep that doesn't count on the 19' length). That space is needed for things like seating, legroom, gear, ballast, etc.

Considering gas prices, I think I'd steer clear of a big block too.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Just 2 more cents.......

2001s, 205s, and Hydrodynes have proven records as good wake sport boats.

...
Thanks - I hadn't thought about the implication of an integrated swimstep - that makes sense.
Old    Dhtige Hill (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Im planning to sell my tige 22i when it warms up.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh03r6 View Post
Im planning to sell my tige 22i when it warms up.
It looks nice...I'm in Texas though.
Old    Dhtige Hill (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
for 12 i will deliver.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Just 2 more cents.......

2001s, 205s, and Hydrodynes have proven records as good wake sport boats.

I'd stay away from a TriStar though. With the integrated swimstep on the back being a part of it's 19' length, the interior is a lot smaller, specifically in the back, than a Prostar (that has a bolt on swimstep that doesn't count on the 19' length). That space is needed for things like seating, legroom, gear, ballast, etc.

Considering gas prices, I think I'd steer clear of a big block too.
What about the Prostar series? Is this solid?

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1606389817.html
Old    Nick Tomsyck (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
Prostar 205 is good, 190 not so much
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Prostar 205 is good, 190 not so much
Cool - I'll keep looking. What makes the 205 better than the 190?
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by utb View Post
Cool - I'll keep looking. What makes the 205 better than the 190?
If you can find a prostar 190 from 95 to 97 you are ok. That hull has a very similar shape to the OG Xstar and with weight can kick up a pretty decent wake. The 205 is better strictly from the standpoint that it is bigger with an open bow. That 89 prostar is a great boat and they are built like tanks but is a much better slalom boat than a wakeboard boat.
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2010, 3:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by utb View Post
Cool - I'll keep looking. What makes the 205 better than the 190?
About a foot & a half. Like Brett said, the 205 is a bow rider. 190s didn't come with the open bow till later (1999?). They made 205s back to 1992.

Pre 1990 PS 190s were VERY flat bottom boats. You can get a good wake from them, but your rub rail will be in the water a lot. And you will learn how to sub the boat...... and hopefully how not to. My brother had one & we dipped the stereo more than a few times.

Another one to consider is the Supras back to like 1986. They had several models that had nice deep gunnels, bow riders, kick up a good wake with some weight. The issue with them is that they had wood floors, seat bases & stringers till the late 90s. Also had some pretty horrible 80s colors too.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 03-10-2010 at 3:45 PM.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
This one was recommended above...http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/1632840611.html

Is the 190 powerful enough? Anything else I should ask about before considering?
Old    Aaron Ware (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-10-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
I have heard people say the master craft tristar is not so great for a wake boat. They said the wake was super sensitive and was not very big. A member on this board said the same about his. I do not have any first hand experience though.
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
Interesting project boat for cheap

2001 natique wake cage huge tanks - $6000 (clearlake) -Looks like a GREAT option.

Try using this search tool to search Craigslist in a huge area, like all of Texas. http://www.craiglook.com
Old    Aaron Ware (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-10-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
here you go

http://www.buxtonmarine.com/web/boat...ition_id=10426

http://www.nautiqueway.com/Used_Boats.htm

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1626311859.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1612874227.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1610231893.html
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 8:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Interesting project boat for cheap

2001 natique wake cage huge tanks - $6000 (clearlake) -Looks like a GREAT option.

Try using this search tool to search Craigslist in a huge area, like all of Texas. http://www.craiglook.com
Yeah, unfortunately the $6000 Natique sold last week. That starter boat sounds like a great idea. Thanks again!
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
Thanks bro - good stuff.
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2010, 9:01 PM Reply   
So how long have you been looking? Don't be too hasty & settle on something you don't really want. The last time I did this, it took me 3 or 4 months of looking. I test drove like 10 or 15 boats, test drove all of them & even rode behind most of them. It was a fun process & made me change my mind as to what features I wanted in a boat.
Also spring is a terrible time to buy. Everyone is looking, and things can go for inflated prices (although in a down market that may or may not be true). Fall is typically a good time to buy, but then there is very little stuff out there for sale. So you just have to watch the ads all the time. And be quick about it when you see one up for sale.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 9:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
So how long have you been looking? Don't be too hasty & settle on something you don't really want. The last time I did this, it took me 3 or 4 months of looking. I test drove like 10 or 15 boats, test drove all of them & even rode behind most of them. It was a fun process & made me change my mind as to what features I wanted in a boat.
Also spring is a terrible time to buy. Everyone is looking, and things can go for inflated prices (although in a down market that may or may not be true). Fall is typically a good time to buy, but then there is very little stuff out there for sale. So you just have to watch the ads all the time. And be quick about it when you see one up for sale.
Yeah - that's a good point. It's tough to be patient when you want it for this summer! We have been looking for a couple weeks and I definitely don't want to commit to something that I will regret.
Old    Nick Warhol (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
Name:  n194001010_30669240_6672.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  44.2 KB
Attached Images
 
Old    Nick Tomsyck (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-11-2010, 12:26 AM Reply   
I've been behind Nick W's Tristar and could do most all of my tricks.... the problem is when you add a lot of weight, you lose passanger room.

The tristar is a stick boat thought, but if you're riding with 4-5 usually it will be tight.

Honstly if your budget is 12k... I would save save save for another year and be a boat whore, then next year buy a ballin' V-drive.... its worth the wait.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
I've been behind Nick W's Tristar and could do most all of my tricks.... the problem is when you add a lot of weight, you lose passanger room.

The tristar is a stick boat thought, but if you're riding with 4-5 usually it will be tight.

Honstly if your budget is 12k... I would save save save for another year and be a boat whore, then next year buy a ballin' V-drive.... its worth the wait.
Cool. Pics look awesome and I think that will definitely be a good enough wake for us to start with. Another question - what kind of yearly maintenance costs should I expect. I have about $4k-$5k budgeted - is that about right?
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-11-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by utb View Post
Cool. Pics look awesome and I think that will definitely be a good enough wake for us to start with. Another question - what kind of yearly maintenance costs should I expect. I have about $4k-$5k budgeted - is that about right?
Holy crap, if you are spending 4-5k in maintanence a year on a 10k boat there is something wrong. Honestly those older boats with the carb pcm 351 are reliable as can be. I would say regular maintenance would be about $200/year if you do the work yourself but having a grand or 2 set aside would never be a bad idea and with a boat incase you need to get a new prop because no matter how careful you are you will ding at least one prop. By the way make sure and have a spare prop.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Holy crap, if you are spending 4-5k in maintanence a year on a 10k boat there is something wrong. Honestly those older boats with the carb pcm 351 are reliable as can be. I would say regular maintenance would be about $200/year if you do the work yourself but having a grand or 2 set aside would never be a bad idea and with a boat incase you need to get a new prop because no matter how careful you are you will ding at least one prop. By the way make sure and have a spare prop.
I was just trying to shoot on the over - but that makes me feel better. If you had to pick between these two, which way would you lean:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/1632840611.html (not amazing wakes...)
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...r-220-96503454 (high hours)

Thanks again. This has been tremendously helpful.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-11-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
I am not sure. That 220 looks beat on. Maybe it is just the back seat that is tore up though which wouldn't be that weird since that is where everybody walks over. But beat on and high hours is not a good thing in my opinion. If they were in comparable shape I would take the 220 over the 190 all day long.
Old    Adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-11-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
I would go a totally different direction.

But something in the 25-30k range.....have virtually zero issues ( due to it being fairly new) Less likely you get to the ramp and your 25 y/o boat doesnt' wanna start..........been there.

For the most part older boats constently need attension, regardless of condition.

In this economy you can get some smokin deals on late model boats. Not so much on the older baot still holding their values. Put 10-20% down and finace the rest. Money is is still cheap right now.

I would venture to say in 4-5 years when/if you decide to sell you wont' lose much on it.

You only live once...lol.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
I would go a totally different direction.

But something in the 25-30k range.....have virtually zero issues ( due to it being fairly new) Less likely you get to the ramp and your 25 y/o boat doesnt' wanna start..........been there.

For the most part older boats constently need attension, regardless of condition.

In this economy you can get some smokin deals on late model boats. Not so much on the older baot still holding their values. Put 10-20% down and finace the rest. Money is is still cheap right now.

I would venture to say in 4-5 years when/if you decide to sell you wont' lose much on it.

You only live once...lol.
Too dangerous for my blood! You probably are right and that would probably be ideal - just not sure we would feel comfortable with that.
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
At least the 220 has some room in the bow & around the back seat. Go sit in the 190 & see for yourself. The back seat is like 4" from the engine cover. And if it's a closed bow, thats a 2nd strike in my book.

I agree that $4k - $5k is a lot for maintenance. I'd say less than $1000 if you don't do any improvements at all. Occasionally you may have something bigger but thats not the norm.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 03-11-2010 at 1:46 PM.
Old    Nick Tomsyck (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-11-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
a few years back (when the economy was good and prices were high) I picked a really lightly used (only 290 hrs) 1995 Supersport (same as a SuperAir 210)
for 18k.

I was in debt for a while but it was well worth the money, and honestly now with like 590 hrs / ballast/tower/stereo I feel I could sell it for about the same price.

V-drives (especially prove wake makers) hold value like crazy
Old    Nick Tomsyck (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-11-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
my suggestion though is save a little and get to the 15k range and find yourself a v-drive

this one is a v-drive
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1603126979.html
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-11-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by utb View Post
Too dangerous for my blood! You probably are right and that would probably be ideal - just not sure we would feel comfortable with that.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing what you are doing. Adam's line of thought is exactly what got our nation in trouble. I don't agree with him on several accounts. The older boats are so simple and easy to work on you only have to pay for parts and if you buy parts from a good parts store you won't spend hardly anything. You could replace the carb, manifolds, give a complete tuneup, upgrade to electronic ignition, change all fluids, impeller, replace the shaft packing and redo the bearings on the trailer for less around a grand if you do it yourself. One thing nice about any Mastercraft after 1983 is that they have fiberglass stringers and most of the floor is fiberglass. That is one less thing to worry about. Other the wood floors and stringers on older boats as long as the cylinders have good compression and the transmission is in good working order you really shouldn't get burned too badly on fixing things unless you mess something up yourself. Another thing to consider is if you buy an older boat and clean it up do some upgrades you will most likely lose very little money when you resell it. Kudos for trying to do the smart thing.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
Thanks Brett. Is this (Four Winns) pretty bad? http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/1639096861.html
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
The Four Winns is an I/O. A lot of us started out owning I/Os before we figured out what we were really into. Their not bad, their just a little more general purpose than an inboard..... kinda good at everything, not really great at any one thing.

In my book the weak link on that particular boat is the Monster Tower. But to each his own.

At least the 220 Tristar has a Titan on it. You aren't likely to have issues there at all.
Old    Erik (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-11-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
That is an I/O and another overpriced one at that. At that age, inboards are far more reliable than I/O's due to the number of moving parts in the lower unit of I/O's that doesn't exist with inboards.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by etakk7 View Post
That is an I/O and another overpriced one at that. At that age, inboards are far more reliable than I/O's due to the number of moving parts in the lower unit of I/O's that doesn't exist with inboards.
Graci.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
Experts: http://www.transitionwatersports.net...e/DSC04892.JPG

Decent?
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
*edit* http://waco.craigslist.org/boa/1623360078.html
Old    Dhtige Hill (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-11-2010, 4:15 PM Reply   
that boat is to shallow you need more freeboard
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-11-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
That is a very nice boat. It looks like it has a wedge. The downfall is that boat really was designed to be a hardcore slalom boat and has low freeboard. I have heard guys get a decent wake out of them but it may get kind of scary if you really want a big wake. How much do they want for it and what are some of the other details(hours)?
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-11-2010, 4:32 PM Reply   
I bet with 300 lbs in the bow, a 500 on each side of the engine and the wedge that boat will throw a a pretty decent wake. It is nicer than anything else that has been posted. Plus that boat is worth closer to 15k if it is in pretty decent shape. I bet you could buy that boat for 10-11 and use it for 2 years and sell for at least that.
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
Not bad. Good wake like Brett said, although you wouldn't have any room to walk in it. But that goes with the direct drives. Definitely not a money pit though.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
That is a very nice boat. It looks like it has a wedge. The downfall is that boat really was designed to be a hardcore slalom boat and has low freeboard. I have heard guys get a decent wake out of them but it may get kind of scary if you really want a big wake. How much do they want for it and what are some of the other details(hours)?
When you say it might get "kind of scary" if you want a big wake, are you referring to it's questionable stability at high-speeds? Thanks.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-11-2010, 6:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by utb View Post
When you say it might get "kind of scary" if you want a big wake, are you referring to it's questionable stability at high-speeds? Thanks.
No, it is just a lower profile boat and with a bunch of weight you will have to be very careful about taking rollers or you could swamp it. Keep in mind that response doesn't have a true open bow with a walkthrough. It has a walkover.

By the way, I would rock that boat all day long for that price if I couldn't find a nice Supra Sunsport, sport Nautique or 205.

Last edited by polarbill; 03-11-2010 at 6:17 PM.
Old    Clint (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-11-2010, 8:33 PM Reply   
saw this on Lubbock craigslist.

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/boa/1623982047.html
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttuclint View Post
Looks good but I think it would run about $2k-$3k to buy/install a decent tower. I guess it's not a necessity but it definitely makes it look sharp!
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 9:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttuclint View Post
If you get an inboard boat - but it's a d-drive - what will the limitations be for boarding?
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-11-2010, 9:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by utb View Post
If you get an inboard boat - but it's a d-drive - what will the limitations be for boarding?
Matt, if that Sunsetter is in pretty decent shape that has lots of potential. Rock an extended pylon till you can afford a tower. That would will throw a great wake. Same hull as the original Wakesetter VLX.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-11-2010, 9:59 PM Reply   
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/1638400408.html
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 10:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I emailed him to see if it's still available. Thanks!
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-12-2010, 12:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by utb View Post
Looks good but I think it would run about $2k-$3k to buy/install a decent tower. I guess it's not a necessity but it definitely makes it look sharp!
Get a Titan for $1300 - $1600. Sturdiest tower under the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utb View Post
If you get an inboard boat - but it's a d-drive - what will the limitations be for boarding?
For most guys, the first couple years your own skills will limit you more than the boat.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 4:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Get a Titan for $1300 - $1600. Sturdiest tower under the sun.


For most guys, the first couple years your own skills will limit you more than the boat.
If I get a tower for ~$1500 - won't it still cost around $500+ to have it installed? I really like the look of the Sunsetter listed above - I think I'm going to test it out this weekend. Thanks again!
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 5:50 AM Reply   
I think we may be getting close to the finale: can you guys tell me which of these you like better?

http://waco.craigslist.org/boa/1623360078.html
* 1100 hours (70 on motor)

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/1638400408.html
* 650 hours

Both $11k

Last edited by utb; 03-12-2010 at 5:55 AM.
Old    Dhtige Hill (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
Both those boat are very shallow the euro is a little better.
Old    Dhtige Hill (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
im sorry the F3 is not bad.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh03r6 View Post
im sorry the F3 is not bad.
You think the Response might be too shallow?
Old    Dhtige Hill (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
Look at the back of the boat if you sack it out, when you come off the throttle you can swamp the boat. Its a world class ski boat and no doubt malibu is well built but is was made to ski and that often makes for small wakes. I was like you when i bought my first boat i got the first inboard i could afford. It was a low freeboard old skiboat and could never get a good wake it was crowded and i damn near sunk it a few times so wait for something deeper, that sunsetter looks like it could work.
Old    Dhtige Hill (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
Step two 11 seems a tad high for a 94. Any wood in it?
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-12-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by utb View Post
If I get a tower for ~$1500 - won't it still cost around $500+ to have it installed? I really like the look of the Sunsetter listed above - I think I'm going to test it out this weekend. Thanks again!
If you have any skills at all in an auto shop or wood shop, installing a tower is a breeze.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh03r6 View Post
Step two 11 seems a tad high for a 94. Any wood in it?
It doesn't look like it from the pics but I am not positive. Definitely something I need to find out.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
If you have any skills at all in an auto shop or wood shop, installing a tower is a breeze.
Cool deal.
Old    Matt G (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh03r6 View Post
Look at the back of the boat if you sack it out, when you come off the throttle you can swamp the boat. Its a world class ski boat and no doubt malibu is well built but is was made to ski and that often makes for small wakes. I was like you when i bought my first boat i got the first inboard i could afford. It was a low freeboard old skiboat and could never get a good wake it was crowded and i damn near sunk it a few times so wait for something deeper, that sunsetter looks like it could work.
Really?! I guess that makes sense. What if you didn't sack it out - would it create a good enough wake to board behind?
Old    Nick Tomsyck (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Nope. You could wakeboard but it would leave you wanting a lot more in like a year or two.... then whats the point, you've got to do this all over again.

Years ago I convinced my mom to sell her little 18ft outboard runabout and give the money from the sale to me to buy a "new" boat... hers was like a 2/3 year old Larson Flyer... sold it for like ~8k, took the money went and bought a 1992 (ithink) Hydrodyne, put a ton of weight in the back w/ a custom box so we didn't lose seating and had a huge bag under the closed bow.... it was awesome until I got riding being a v-drive. Within two years that boat was for sale.... we paid 8k for it, used it for like 3 years, added a tower and stereo and sold it for 7500.... not bad.

Then paid my mom back what she had in, then my best friend and I took out loans, pooled our money and found we had ~22k (he was in about 12k I was 10k) ... we started hunting for a boat (when the economy was good)... found a MC 205v (old x-star) and a NAutique Supersport (old SuperAir).... ended up going with the supersport, added a tower, ballast, stereo.... came in right around 21k with everything and now we have NO INTENTION of selling this until it dies, which I imagine won't be for a long time.

When we bought the hydrodyne the guy was selling it to buy a v-drive.... its a constant cycle in the community I think.... I guess my point is you can buy now, but I will be willing to bet in 3/5 MAX you'll be selling for a v-drive.... you could just boat whore and save, skipping a step
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-12-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by utb View Post
Really?! I guess that makes sense. What if you didn't sack it out - would it create a good enough wake to board behind?
It's not that it won't work, the big wake makes it easier to do the big tricks. Anything is possible. Half the pros do tricks out in the flats with no wake at all. But does that mean the average mortal can?
No we rely on a crutch, like a big wake.

I went from a 1994 205 with about 800 lbs of ballast to a 2005 Vride with 900 lbs of ballast, and adding more. The difference in the stance on the water, even when sitting still, is dramatic. If I'm sitting in the Vride & a surfer goes by, I don't really sweat it when the wave approaches. But in the 205, I'd have to start the boat & position it so the wake would come across the bow or it could easily swamp the boat. And driving the two boats, the Vride is definitely more forgiving. The higher freeboard definitely makes it easier on you all the way around.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 3:51 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us