Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    mobster            10-14-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TxmAGpPgNY
Old    Jeff Walker (surfdad)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-14-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
Thank you JL! That green board with the mini channels gave me a headache thinking about glassing! :-) For those not familiar, Sacred Craft is UNcorporate, all about the shaper and the boards they create. I loved this paragraph from the website of the event:

This is not to say there's been any sort of deliberate attempt to commoditize our passion; the surf media and surfwear manufacturers are not evil, they're just off track. It is all about the board; has always been about the board. We at the CONSUMER SURFBOARD EXPO feel it is time to reassert that philosophy. To put the surfboard-and the modern-day kahunas who craft them-back at the forefront of surf culture. To place that influence, that importance, that responsibility, back in the hands of the artisans who shape our sacred crafts-and ultimately our future.

I swiped this picture from Sway's - Some of the current legends, milling about!

Pat Rawson, Maurice Cole, Rusty Preisendorfer, Ricky Carrol, Gary Linden

Upload
Old    Jonathan Tollefson (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-14-2009, 3:37 PM Reply   
Nice thank you for sharing that! Where was this event held? Was it at the Surf Expo in FL?
Old    mobster            10-14-2009, 3:58 PM Reply   
Del Mar Cal UploadOn this Board each color is hand layed fiberglass Upload
Upload
Rock found his name on the shapers treeUpload
rock's new stringer styleUpload
Old    dtw. (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-14-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
dammit, I wanted to go to that.
Old    Jeff Walker (surfdad)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-14-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
Rock is doing dual Dow Blue stringers? Or is that just paint between 4 stringers? The colors are amazing on the asymetrical board.

That's a great event, wish we could have made it.
Old    dtw. (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-14-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
Next one, Dad, we will go. Might even set up the Black & Blue on the regular side for you while you're down.
Old    mobster            10-14-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
No Paint , Lost uses single Dow for a stringer. Rock's take is the duel stringer it provides more strength & helps cut down on denting with a wider stronger area . The concept board has been resized for wakesurfing will post photos of the upcoming build . Here are some shots of Daniel Thomson's Tomo board with the flex tailUpload
Upload
Upload
Upload the black quad is the 2lb board you have been trying to build
Old    Jeff Walker (surfdad)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-14-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
I saw some pictures of the Tomo's. Really interesting channels and tails. Did he break 3 pounds on that CF board? Sweet!

Dow Blue is great foam, really lively. I'm looking forward to seeing the resized concept board. Rock is doing some really innovative stuff.

@dtw - I can ride the darkside, never let it be said that I'm discriminatory about riding the awful side. :-)
Old    wardovision (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2009, 6:48 AM Reply   

quote:

To put the surfboard-and the modern-day kahunas who craft them-back at the forefront of surf culture. To place that influence, that importance, that responsibility, back in the hands of the artisans who shape our sacred crafts-and ultimately our future.

I totally agree with the mission statement but IMO with today's culture I don't see us ever going back down that road. We live in a "get rich quick" society where the big name riders and flashy companies will continue to grab the kids attention. I honestly don't see how that's changing anytime soon.
Old    mobster            10-15-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
What I saw at that show were the creators of surfboards ,the shaping masters that started the board shaping as we now it now ,There was some very new concepts on foam , glassing, flex tails, finless, or keels, channels,wood boards and a chance for the surfer to see and feel the boards, talk with the shaper . The big board company's weren't there ,it was about the art of the board , The kids were all over the future of surfing , They dream too,what is saw was some very forward thinking , that can only inspire the next generation of boards
Old    wardovision (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
I don't think were even close to finished with the evolution of surfboard design. I'm just saying that IMO the shapers days of being in the "forefront of surf culture" like in days past aren't coming back any time soon. Unless some earth shattering change happens within the industry surfing's "influence" will always come from the big and/or flashy names and what they're doing on the boards more than the boards themselves.
Old    mobster            10-15-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
As usual you are way of base on this one
Old    Brian (TXSurf) (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-15-2009, 8:36 PM Reply   
Very cool stuff JL. That board with the hand laid glass is just plain cool!

Very interested to see Rocks concept wakesurf with the dow stringers.

And those Tomo boards look nuts! I've got some reading up to do. Is that just a new take on a fish?
Old    Jeff Johnson (talljeff)      Join Date: May 2009       10-15-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Who makes those cool "nomex core" looking wood surf boards? I can't quite make out the label.

Thx.
Old    James Harold (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-15-2009, 9:39 PM Reply   
what up jl, just got back from vegas was that video shot with the new camarea looks sick..
Old    Jeff Walker (surfdad)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-16-2009, 5:53 AM Reply   
@ talljeff - isn't that honeycomb a great look? :-) That's Spirare Surfboards, Kevin Cunningham is the shaper.

http://www.spiraresurfboards.com
Old    mobster            10-16-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
New Camera is sick starting to get it dialed in James Z your new editor did a great Job .There is more video coming of the Sacred Craft I shot way more video than photos this time. Nice South swell down here Creek is having a Stand Up Paddle vs Short Boards war , I can't get caught up in it, I have friends on both Sides
Old    James Harold (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-16-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
what setting should I have it on ,for my new one, tired, vegas is a crazy place ,heading to florida in 9 days,hit me up J l .
Old    Petr (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
verrrrry interesyting

something more bout Tomo boards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_27ldD8zd8E
Old    Jos (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-18-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
Cool video, those coloured boards are pretty awesome.