Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    xtremwake06            07-07-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   
I can now jump wake2wake but im not getting that much air. anyone got any tips on getting bigger air?
Old    todd_fish            07-07-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
Cut all the way through the wake... Don't flatten out.... and keep your body rigid when you hit the wake... that and lots of practice....
Old    xtremwake06            07-07-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
(todd fish) when im cutting through the wake should i keep my knees bent?
Old    todd_fish            07-07-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
No... you want to stand up at the wake.... but don't try to jump....
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-07-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
Try reading both of these articles and then go out and practice. It helps if you can get someone to videotape your riding so you can analyze it in slow motion. This really helps pinpoint what you're doing wrong, like coming off edge or absorbing the wake with your knees.

http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip002.asp

http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip009.asp

Old    xtremwake06            07-07-2003, 2:05 PM Reply   
Do any of you have any tips on ollieing? everytime i do it i feel like im going to face plant and its not smooth at all.

-Alex
Old    simba            07-07-2003, 2:47 PM Reply   
This is really confusing for people including myself but I'll tell you what I've come up with.

People say, dont bend at the waist, slightly bend at the knees, keep the line tight, stand tall at the wake.

BUt, in order to cut HARD into the wake which you HAVE to do your body position takes you to a seated position like they tell you NOT to do.

THen, go watch all the videos of the people/pros and guess what, they all cut with a seated position because thats the only way u can heel side if you want to cut HARD.

Now, we got that out of the way, when I approach the wake, my knees are very bent and im very crouched down because im trying to pull the tower down as some would say, only pull this hard a few feet from the wake.

Riding up the wake, they say stand tall, this is the part that confused me the most. I would stand up tall BEFORE the wake which then would take me off my edge and my pop sucked.

Now, I stay mostly crouched in the full pull down the tower super cut mode most of the way up the wake and then.......... JUMP or some will tell you push off but to me its really a jump in a wierd way.

Your line must be tight the whole time, and this gets me 6' air on a OUTBOARD MOTOR with a FISHING BOAT with no weight added, heres a pic, tell me what you think.

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/55085/0.jpg
Old    simba            07-07-2003, 2:54 PM Reply   
heres the perfect way to learn how to ollie. cut out where your faceing the wake which is toeside, cut out into the flats. then keeping the line tight, but not super tight put a little bit more weight on your back foot. stay about 4-5 feet away from the wake which means your on a slight edge to maintain direction.

Then, start bouncing very slightly up and down, just keep bouncing but not too hard at first, you should start to feel the tail of the board loading up and by that I mean a resistance you probably have never felt before and the bouncing will start to get bigger.

Once you get comfortable with the bounce (remember, this bounce is like a slight rock in a rocking chair) it will almost bounce you out of control when you bounce harder, this is loading the tail just push down on one of the bounces and jump bringing your knees up like your going for a grab (gives u more height).

Once you do this, you will see how easy it is to ollie. I tried forever to ollie and couldnt do it until someone told me the bounce trick. Try it out.
Old    xtremwake06            07-07-2003, 3:13 PM Reply   
simba nice picture that pritty high. ill try what u said next time i hit the water. thanks
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-08-2003, 12:02 PM Reply   
Ron, the problem with the technique you are describing where you jump off the wake is that it doesn't work as you try to do tricks like backrolls. You shouldn't have to jump or push off, just stand tall and not absorb the wake.

Watch a video of a pro in slow motion and you'll see that they just stand tall and pop off of the wake and still go huge. As a beginner it seems like a good way to get more air, but it will hurt you in the long run because your technique won't allow you to progress.
Old    goose69            07-08-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
I think the biggest problem a beginner has, is that they think cutting hard at the wake to gain speed will mean they get the big air. The key is not either speed or what edge you has at the wake but what you do with your knees. Just like in gymnastics on a springboard or even bouncing on a trampoline. The more you absorbed the shock of the wake with your knees the less air you will get. Unfortunately there is really no good way to explain it for you to catch on right away. Water time is really the key.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-08-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
To generate pop you must be on edge coming into the wake. It is the only way to create a lot of water pressure under your board so that the board pops off the wake.

Progressive edge means increasing pressure under the board until you hit the wake, also meaning increasing speed. If you do this properly and stand tall at the wake then you will be forced high into the air.

Body position during your cut is critical. At the end of your cut, right before you hit the wake, your knees will be bent a little, approx. 45 degrees, and your back will be straight. The rope will be on or close to your thighs. Good rope position is very important. At the last second stand tall this will allow you to be in a good position while in the air.

Walk before you run. A beginner doesn't need to start their cut from 30 feet out. Try 15. An advanced rider will clear the wake with a 5 foot cut @ 70+ feet of rope.