Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-21-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
caught a nice scratch today on from the trailer guide on the Sanger today.. not a big deal to some.. but its bugging the crap out of me.. any recommondations for Gel Coat scratch repair?
Old     (jesse1983)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-22-2009, 12:02 AM Reply   
Benny's Marine in Tracy did a great job on my boat. I put a nice gouge in it and you can't tell it's even been touched now.

Jesse
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2009, 12:16 AM Reply   
Bummer. Don't worry about it tho a good gel guy can fix it like new.

Getting the wake dialled?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-22-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
Darren, yes.. yesterday I found the great combo is having 9 people in the boat.. front ballast full.. great wake, good laughs, and plenty of rest between sets hahaha

No serious 9 people in the boat plus front ballast was a really nice wake that was really rock solid.. my wife commented yesterday that I had always been at the same height and distance for a while and yesterday was a whole new person riding.. I felt like I was getting alot more pop... I REALLY LOVE THIS BOAT
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-22-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
Jesse, Ill give them a call today.. do you remember off hand how much they charged you for the gouge? I have no clue what gel coat repair costs, but I dont want to get sticker shock..
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-22-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
PM sent!!
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-22-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
Isaac--2nd on Bennys in Tracy. Not sure on price, mine was a different deal.

BTW, boat looks nice, say you out around UP yesterday. I was on our friends red wellcraft. Missed my sanger but still had a great day with the kids.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-22-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
Thanks Doug! we were riding vics all day yesterday and hit up UP for lunch! Nice day!
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-22-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
fiberglass fixations in modesto, javier and jason are hands down gel coat artist. ill shoot you there number in a few.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-22-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
Isaac,
Where is the scratch located? What color is it? Have you thought about doing it yourself? It really is not that bad of a job so long as your not mixing colors.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-22-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
Cory, I have never done Gel Coat and without guidance from someone who has done it before I dont want to attempt it.. With that said.. Myself and Allan are going to tackle this sucker this week. Allan has golden hands and doesnt cut corners on anything.. Everything that guy touches is money.. So with that said.. Im hoping to learrn from him..

its just in the white.. in the back corner of the boat right under the rub rail..
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-22-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Right on man, glad to hear it. I was going to offer to assist as well but glad to Al was willing to step up.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-23-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
I did a bunch of gel coat repair in my V210. When I bought it...it had a Monster Tower on it...that had already been moved once. So when I put a new Tower on...I ended up with 20 holes to repair!

Gel Coat products in Seattle can match. I cut a plug from under one of the front seats..and they matched a batch of white-grey. The Sanger White is not white...it is grey.

After I got the custom gel coat mix (1 PT was $100!!)...I then found even it did not match perfect. It was a tad too dark. So I did a bunch of test batches...mixing pure white with the custom grey until I got a PERFECT match.

Then I used waxed mylar to cover the area after I applied the gel coat. I had a few pros look at my repair...and of the 20 hole...they could only find about a third of them..... I was told that if I had paid a pro to do it...it would have been $1500+...

It is not that hard...but then again...I have done a lot of FG work....
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-23-2009, 10:49 PM Reply   
Brant, do you know what combo you had to use to get the grey to match? We ran into the same problem tonite.. the white is not white.. it has grey in it... I will say that CIE Al has golden hands and its 99.9 percent dissapeared.. there was just 2 small pencil mark areas that stand out a teeny bit because the white doesnt match the sanger white exactly
Old     (tigerider20v)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-23-2009, 11:14 PM Reply   
If your still having problems, call Benny@ Bennys Custom Marine in Tracy. That guy is sick at gelcoat and did a lot of repairs for Sanger, I'm sure he will help you over the phone to achieve the mix you need. That guy repaired my jacked up jetski that was hit head on. Let me know if you need the #
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-23-2009, 11:56 PM Reply   
Isaac,

I could never get it to match on my own...that is why I had Gel Coat products mix me up a custom batch.

http://www.gelcoatproducts.com/custom.html

I took a hole saw, and cut a 1" or 1.25" plug from the an area where the front side seats rest. You can only see the hole when a seat is raised....so who cares. I sent that plug to GCP...and they made a batch to match...or at least close. It was $110 for a quart. I still have a bunch left..but I doubt the Sanger white for a 2000 year boat is the same as you need.

When I realized that the custom batch was too dark, I bought a pint of pure white Gel Coat from TAP plastics. I then mixed the pure white with the custom grey in a variety of ratios:
4:1
3:1
2:1
3:2
1:1
2:3
1:2
1:3
1:4

I found that 3:2 grey to white gave an absolutely perfect match. I then mixed together a batch at 3:2, and used that for all the repair work.

Did you check your color match in the sun? In the sun...the white mismatch really jumps out...

(Message edited by kitewake on June 23, 2009)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2009, 6:45 AM Reply   
Bullet Gell repair $50 any patch any time
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-24-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
All places mentioned are great, best bang for your buck is Ron's Fiberglass in Fremont off of Fremont Blvd and 880. PM me and I can get you our discount.
Old     (edandgem)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
Pro fiberglass Livermore (925)447-0884 Talk to Reza Gohary. He did a fantastic job on my Boat and Good price also.

2170-D south Vasco Rd
Livermore , Ca 94550
Old     (spiff454)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-24-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
Fiberglass Fixations in Modesto. They did an amazing job on changing the colors, and removing all of the scratches on my sanger. (209)569-0763. Talk to Jason.