Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       06-15-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
I've been wakeboarding for about 2 years and just bought an 06 moomba LS with gravity games III ballast system. The previous owner surfed behind this boat, so I know it is possible, but I don't yet have the finesse yet to get the wake I'm looking for and hoping for some pointers based on my setup:

The boat came with these two boards:
Hyperlite Broadcast
Inland Surfer limited edition

Ballast setup:
center=450lbs
rear left = 250
rear right = 250

Fat sacs:
1000lb triangle bow filler sac
2 - 250lb fat buddies square sacs

Questions I need answered:
Which board is easier to surf on a smaller wake?
How should I distribute my ballast setup?
How/Where do I need to place my fat sacs?
Are fat sacs required in order to get a surf wake out of a 21ft DD?
Best typical Speed for wakesurfing:
How sharp of a turn does the boat need to be for optimum wake?
Any other 'duh you should know this' facts about wakesurfing?

Any input appreciated.
Thanks,
Scotty
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-15-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
Not sure what the limited edition IS board is, could be one of many. Both boards should be good. I've found the HL Broadcast to be a very good a beginner board. The IS boards are all good but again it's hard to tell which you’ve got.

I don't have much SC boat set up experience; I'll let someone else chime in on fat sacks and placement. But generally add weight to the surf side and to the stern, probably none in the bow.

Speed, anywhere from 9 to 12 MPH, more likely 10-ish.

It's best to drive straight, don’t turn. If your wake isn’t good going straight, fix something else.

Port side will probably be better than starboard.

Here's a 'duh - wear a life jacket

(Message edited by BigShow on June 15, 2009)
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       06-15-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
its this exact board:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/559019/439291.jpg

I've been searching for it online but can't find any info. i believe its a '4skim woody'
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-15-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
That's funny. I took that picture.

That's a 4Skim. I have very limited experience with the 4Skim. For me at 220 pounds, on a big wake, it's too small. I think the newer 4skim might be a tad bigger. Sean Cummings tears it up on a 4Skim.

If you think your wake is smallish the IS Blue is really good.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-15-2009, 7:38 PM Reply   
How big a guy are you Scotty? And, what about the crew? I'd, personally ride the HL, and put the skim on the shelf, until you can learn to ride without the rope.

I don't have DD experience, but, based on what you have available, I'd start with;
fill center 450
fill 1 fat buddy 250 in bow surf side
fill rear 250 surf side
find a way to fill 1000 triangle rear surf side

Otherwise;
fill 1000 triangle in bow
fill rear 250 surf side
fill fat buddies surf side
pull 450 center and move to rear surf side

I, personally, don't see how you could possibly get enough weight to surf without the additional surf sacks.

Speed - 10.5-10.7
Drive straight
Do you have a wakeplate? 50-75% up (use the plate to clean-up wave)

HAVE FUN!!!
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       06-15-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
I'm 6ft, 160 and typically run a small crew 4-6ppl.

No wakeplate.

I've only tried surfing this boat once on memorial day and we had 7-8ppl in the boat and it did OK but it seemed like the wake was really close to the boat.

I'll give it a shot this week and see what happens. I've been doing some reading on wakesurfing this evening and with the advice above hopefully I can get it done.

The hardest part thus far has been that none of the crew I generally ride with wakesurf, so they don't know how to drive it and it leaves me trying to figure out both at the same time..ha
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-15-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
I started in 2005. We knew nothing but eventually figured it out. You'll get it.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
Hey Show when were riding port side, should my manual wakeplate be up or down? I have been running it down.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-16-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Scotty, like Show and Scott said, keep playing with your weight placement if you are not happy with your wake. Sure it can take some time, but once you find it, you're good to go.

As for your pocket being short, the best way I know to add length (never surfed a Moomba, so can't say if it works for your boat) is to add weight in the bow. But don't over do it!

If any of your crew can drive a boat, which I'm assuming they do, it really isn't any different to pull for surfing. Just have them focus on driving at a set speed and being able to hold it if you don't have perfect pass. Depending on the areas your surf, knowing how your boat acts when its loaded down can be extremely important. Just practice, again, as Show said you'll pick it up. Now go have some fun!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-16-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
My Lightning had a Bennett trim tab we set it down 0% to 20% for regular and 100% for starboard.

My Enzo has a manual trim tab. I've set it high and low. Low is beter for the Enzo, but not low enough for the Enzo starboard wake.

(Message edited by BigShow on June 16, 2009)
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-16-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
Scotty, for what it's worth, I've only had 1 newbie out of 10 be able to ride ropeless the first day out. Most of them haven't caught on until the 2nd or 3rd trip out. Be patient and keep working at it.

Tell your driver to just hold a straight line @ 10mph, then creep up the speed until the wave cleans up. (generally between 10-11.5 mph)

Keep at it, you'll get it, and once it "clicks" for you, it's possible to progress fairly quickly