Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-04-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
I was curious of what the BMW X5 is like towing wise. I currently have a honda accord and can't tow my 22 foot Supra. I know the towing limit on it is 6000lbs and I was curious if it anyone had experince with one. Thanks.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-04-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
I towed my 22V (heavy at 4k) on a dual trailer with it and it had a little bit of trouble and the breaks felt inadequate. I believe it was a 3 liter, so maybe with one of the 4 liters it will have more power and better breaks, but part of the problems could be the suspension. At the very least, it is capable of short-distances, but I wouldn't have taken any long trips with it, at least not with the 3 liter.
Old     (poland34)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-04-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
Pull my LSV with it and really dont have too many issues. I towed with it for about 300 miles through Tennessee and yes it shot the RPM's up quite a bit but it got the job done. Only trouble i have ever had was a gravel launch ramp and due to it being pretty light it seemed like the boat was pulling the X5 down the ramp. FYI i have the 3.0
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-04-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
Well my Supra weighs 5,200lbs when I put it on a truck scale at work. I wasn't sure if the 3.0 would do it. Steve what do you think of the brakes on them and gas mileage while towing? I go down to Lake Cumberland or Dale Hollow once or twice a year but usually tow at the most 60 miles back and forth to the lake on a regular basis. The long trips to the big lakes are around 500 to 600 miles long as i'm from Toledo, Oh. Thanks for the input so far guys.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-04-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Yeah, take my advice with a grain of salt as I only towed it maybe 10 miles each way, and the vehicle had over 100k miles on it and most likely could have used new breaks.
Old     (noles_fan)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-04-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
I towed my old Supra Launch 21 with my X5 and did not have any issues, although I have the 4.4 V8 engine . I am planning to use it to pull my 210 with it once it warms up.
Old     (poland34)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-05-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
Andrew i think the breaks actually are great but with towing i probably get 10-12 miles per gallon like everything else. I forgot i have actually towed to Dale Hollow twice now from Columbus. If i had to do it over i would go with the bigger engine than the 3.0